My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by >THE Ben Reilly< on Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:45 pm

First topic message reminder :

So I'm landing at Heathrow on Sunday and I'll be staying for more than two freakin' months!

I'll use this space to keep everybody posted on my scintillating observations. It should be eminently ignorable!

Anyway, I already know what "tosser" and "wanker" means thanks to having a British wife, so I think I've got a real leg up.

Just don't fancy muckin' about with all them apples and pears, do I?

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 2108625937 My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 2035286543
>THE Ben Reilly<
>THE Ben Reilly<
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 25856
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Essex

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down


My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by Guest on Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:52 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Have you been to Aldi? There are unspoken rules there that you shove your shopping back in the trolley or basket as fast as possible and then go elsewhere to pack it in your bags.



hahahahaha so true

lol! lol!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by Maddog on Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:49 am

>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:Have you been to Aldi? There are unspoken rules there that you shove your shopping back in the trolley or basket as fast as possible and then go elsewhere to pack it in your bags.

Standing up for long periods of time is not good for people, especially if they're rooted to the spot. However, sitting down all the time is also not good. They don't have much room to move do they?

I haven't been to an Aldi (which we also have in the U.S.); there's no location in our town. Actually never been to one in Texas, either. I've heard bad things Smile

As for the standing, I think it must be better than sitting for eight hours with occasional stretches. Cashiers in the U.S. get a break every few hours, but when I did it for my first job at 16, I found it was always worse standing back up after you've been sitting for 15 minutes.

There's an Aldi on Eastchase and a few in Arlington.

They are small. Smaller than a Buccees which is basically a gas station.

And you have to have a quarter to get a buggy. You get your quarter back when you return the buggy.

_________________
Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
Maddog
Maddog

Posts : 4299
Join date : 2017-09-23
Location : Texas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by >THE Ben Reilly< on Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:03 am

Maddog wrote:
>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:Have you been to Aldi? There are unspoken rules there that you shove your shopping back in the trolley or basket as fast as possible and then go elsewhere to pack it in your bags.

Standing up for long periods of time is not good for people, especially if they're rooted to the spot. However, sitting down all the time is also not good. They don't have much room to move do they?

I haven't been to an Aldi (which we also have in the U.S.); there's no location in our town. Actually never been to one in Texas, either. I've heard bad things Smile

As for the standing, I think it must be better than sitting for eight hours with occasional stretches. Cashiers in the U.S. get a break every few hours, but when I did it for my first job at 16, I found it was always worse standing back up after you've been sitting for 15 minutes.

There's an Aldi on Eastchase and a few in Arlington.

They are small. Smaller than a Buccees which is basically a gas station.

And you have to have a quarter to get a buggy. You get your quarter back when you return the buggy.

Is there not also one around Ridgmar/Ridglea, maybe a mile or so off 30? Or did that one shut down?
>THE Ben Reilly<
>THE Ben Reilly<
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 25856
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Essex

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by Maddog on Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:16 am

>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:
Maddog wrote:

There's an Aldi on Eastchase and a few in Arlington.

They are small. Smaller than a Buccees which is basically a gas station.

And you have to have a quarter to get a buggy. You get your quarter back when you return the buggy.

Is there not also one around Ridgmar/Ridglea, maybe a mile or so off 30? Or did that one shut down?

It's possible. Don't know for sure.

_________________
Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.
Maddog
Maddog

Posts : 4299
Join date : 2017-09-23
Location : Texas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by Raggamuffin on Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:44 am

gelico wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:Have you been to Aldi? There are unspoken rules there that you shove your shopping back in the trolley or basket as fast as possible and then go elsewhere to pack it in your bags.



hahahahaha  so true

lol! lol!


There's virtually no room at the counter to actually pack your bags anyway. If someone does attempt it, there's a lot of eye rolling from the other customers. Laughing  

Also, there's none of this coupon or clubcard nonsense to hold up the queue. It works for me - there's no danger of getting behind someone who wants to use a ton of coupons, and then they can't find their clubcard or whatever. Laughing

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

Posts : 32885
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by nicko on Sat Mar 09, 2019 11:49 am

What pisses me off, is some who stands there why the cashier pushes the goods through and he/she makes no effort to bag them but leaves them on the exit part of the counter, and then decides to hunt in her purse for her Card !
nicko
nicko

Posts : 11429
Join date : 2013-12-07
Age : 78
Location : rainbow bridge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by Raggamuffin on Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:11 pm

nicko wrote:What pisses me off, is some who stands there why the cashier pushes the goods through and he/she makes no effort to bag them but leaves them on the exit part of the counter, and then decides to hunt in her purse for her Card !

I know! It's always someone with a bag with loads of compartments so they can't find their purse for ages, and then when they do find their purse it has loads of flaps or zips full of cards, receipts, and junk, so they take ages to find the one they want. Laughing

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

Posts : 32885
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 09, 2019 12:55 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
gelico wrote:



hahahahaha  so true

lol! lol!


There's virtually no room at the counter to actually pack your bags anyway. If someone does attempt it, there's a lot of eye rolling from the other customers. Laughing  


i know, about 1 square foot if that, i have it sorted cos i line up my goods in the exact way i want to pack them, then fling everything into my shopping buggy and bags. i always have my card either in my mouth or in an easy side pocket ready and if there's a glitch and goods start to pile up then folks just have to wait another 3/4 seconds is all.

agree staff are nice and friendly

i love aldi

cheers

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by nicko on Sat Mar 09, 2019 1:00 pm

It's mostly Women who do this ! [ I'LL get my Coat].
nicko
nicko

Posts : 11429
Join date : 2013-12-07
Age : 78
Location : rainbow bridge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by Raggamuffin on Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:21 pm

nicko wrote:It's mostly Women who do this !           [ I'LL get my Coat].


Yes it is, but then you do get those men with coin purses who tip all their coins out and sort out the money on the counter. Then they have to pick up all the change they have left and put it back in the purse. Laughing


Last edited by Raggamuffin on Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

Posts : 32885
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by nicko on Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:35 pm

Yes, I'v seen that as well !
nicko
nicko

Posts : 11429
Join date : 2013-12-07
Age : 78
Location : rainbow bridge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by HoratioTarr on Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:11 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
nicko wrote:It's mostly Women who do this !           [ I'LL get my Coat].


Yes it is, but then you do get those men with coin purses who tip all their coins out and sort out the money on the counter. Then they have to pick up all the change they have left and put it back in the purse. Laughing

There's nothing worse than a man with a girly purse.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr

Posts : 9504
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by HoratioTarr on Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:23 pm

nicko wrote:What pisses me off, is some who stands there why the cashier pushes the goods through and he/she makes no effort to bag them but leaves them on the exit part of the counter, and then decides to hunt in her purse for her Card !

Jesus, that's so annoying. It's usually some dizzy old middle class bird in slacks and twinset who squints at the card machine as she stabs out the numbers like she's squashing ants on a hot brick. Then they pack all their fish fingers, small Hovis wheatgerms, and two slice ham packets neatly into recycled carriers they take ages to smooth out, placing them delicately within as though each item is gelignite, then fumble around for the vouchers they just know are in the bottom of their purse, then cock up the pin, then try again, then laugh about the weather and make small talk with the cashier, and I'm like.... Get a fucking move on, you dilatory cunt!
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr

Posts : 9504
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by Raggamuffin on Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:34 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:


Yes it is, but then you do get those men with coin purses who tip all their coins out and sort out the money on the counter. Then they have to pick up all the change they have left and put it back in the purse. Laughing

There's nothing worse than a man with a girly purse.

Those horseshoe one require the man to tip the money out anyway, so the coins often go on the floor.

Then there are those women's purses where they unzip the coin bit, hunt around, decide they don't have enough coins, zip that bit up again, open the flap where the notes are kept, and hunt around amongst all the receipts until they actually find a note.

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

Posts : 32885
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by HoratioTarr on Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:24 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

There's nothing worse than a man with a girly purse.

Those horseshoe one require the man to tip the money out anyway, so the coins often go on the floor.

Then there are those women's purses where they unzip the coin bit, hunt around, decide they don't have enough coins, zip that bit up again, open the flap where the notes are kept, and hunt around amongst all the receipts until they actually find a note.

I'm in and out at the check out. I pack up and get the card/money ready at the same time. There's no flies on me.
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr

Posts : 9504
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by Guest on Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:43 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
nicko wrote:What pisses me off, is some who stands there why the cashier pushes the goods through and he/she makes no effort to bag them but leaves them on the exit part of the counter, and then decides to hunt in her purse for her Card !

Jesus, that's so annoying.   It's usually some dizzy old middle class bird in slacks and twinset who squints at the card machine as she stabs out the numbers like she's squashing ants on a hot brick.   Then they pack all their fish fingers,  small Hovis wheatgerms, and two slice ham packets neatly into recycled carriers  they take ages to smooth out, placing them delicately within as though each item is gelignite,  then fumble around for the vouchers they just know are in the bottom of their purse, then cock up the pin, then try again, then laugh about the weather and make small talk with the cashier, and I'm like.... Get a fucking move on, you dilatory cunt!

hahahahahahaha


My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 3489511464 My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 3489511464

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by >THE Ben Reilly< on Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:00 pm

So the other day, Lord Foul was kind enough to drive about 4 hours across country to meet up with me and edds! He brought his wife along in their vintage Land Rover which is truly a cool truck. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing it parked up the curb amongst all the Beemers and Bentleys we have around here.

We had dinner and then went to a pub that me and a friend of mine here agree is "poncy" and it was sort of surreal, standing with one of my moderators at the bar waiting on our pints and the ladies' drinks while one of the ladies was another of my moderators and also is my wife ...

LF is a really cool guy -- knows a lot of jokes, is a good storyteller and (sorry Vic) has a gentle quality that doesn't really come across on NewsFix very often.

Now we need to head off to Australia and Thailand to meet the rest of the crew!
>THE Ben Reilly<
>THE Ben Reilly<
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 25856
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Essex

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by eddie on Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:32 pm

Yeah it was really so nice to meet Vic in real life. He’s a lovely guy.

_________________
“Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons ”
― Anon.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 37442
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 48
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by phildidge on Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:35 pm

>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:So the other day, Lord Foul was kind enough to drive about 4 hours across country to meet up with me and edds! He brought his wife along in their vintage Land Rover which is truly a cool truck. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing it parked up the curb amongst all the Beemers and Bentleys we have around here.

We had dinner and then went to a pub that me and a friend of mine here agree is "poncy" and it was sort of surreal, standing with one of my moderators at the bar waiting on our pints and the ladies' drinks while one of the ladies was another of my moderators and also is my wife ...

LF is a really cool guy -- knows a lot of jokes, is a good storyteller and (sorry Vic) has a gentle quality that doesn't really come across on NewsFix very often.

Now we need to head off to Australia and Thailand to meet the rest of the crew!


That is really cool

Hope you all had a wonderful time together

Laughing


Last edited by Thor on Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:43 pm; edited 1 time in total

phildidge

Posts : 5393
Join date : 2018-11-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by Victorismyhero on Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:41 pm

the pleasure I can assure you was as much mine as it was yours, You both are great folks, good hosts and most the pleasant of company. Ben Is a fine fellow, and is just as he comes across on here, a real genuine guy, and Eddie??? well she is "what you see is what you get" ...crazy mushroom muncher and all round nutter. We had an enjoyable afternoon with you and only wish it could have been longer, well, hopefully soon that will be possible, the invite to the wood stands

_________________
If at any time in 2018 I have annoyed you, pissed you off or said the wrong thing....Suck it up snowflake, cause 2019 AINT gonna be any different

Patience my Ass......I' m gonna KILLsomething

.(It's hard to remember that the task is to drain the swamp, when you are up to your arse in alligators)

[b]I DONT BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Posts : 10350
Join date : 2015-11-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by Victorismyhero on Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:51 pm

Eddie even forgave me for hiding her hand bag, then pretending I'd fallen asleep whilst being left "on watch" when she went for a smoke.....and that some one must have nicked it....the momentary look of panic.....
trouble is ...I couldnt keep a straight face......

_________________
If at any time in 2018 I have annoyed you, pissed you off or said the wrong thing....Suck it up snowflake, cause 2019 AINT gonna be any different

Patience my Ass......I' m gonna KILLsomething

.(It's hard to remember that the task is to drain the swamp, when you are up to your arse in alligators)

[b]I DONT BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Posts : 10350
Join date : 2015-11-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by phildidge on Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:54 pm

Lord Foul wrote:Eddie even forgave me for hiding her hand bag, then pretending I'd fallen asleep whilst being left "on watch" when she went for a smoke.....and that some one must have nicked it....the momentary look of panic.....
trouble is ...I couldnt keep a straight face......


lol!

Brilliant...

phildidge

Posts : 5393
Join date : 2018-11-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by Syl on Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:18 am

HoratioTarr wrote:
nicko wrote:What pisses me off, is some who stands there why the cashier pushes the goods through and he/she makes no effort to bag them but leaves them on the exit part of the counter, and then decides to hunt in her purse for her Card !

Jesus, that's so annoying.   It's usually some dizzy old middle class bird in slacks and twinset who squints at the card machine as she stabs out the numbers like she's squashing ants on a hot brick.   Then they pack all their fish fingers,  small Hovis wheatgerms, and two slice ham packets neatly into recycled carriers  they take ages to smooth out, placing them delicately within as though each item is gelignite,  then fumble around for the vouchers they just know are in the bottom of their purse, then cock up the pin, then try again, then laugh about the weather and make small talk with the cashier, and I'm like.... Get a fucking move on, you dilatory cunt!
lol! I literally laughed out so  loud OH jumped.

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
Syl
Syl

Posts : 18399
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by Syl on Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:20 am

>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:So the other day, Lord Foul was kind enough to drive about 4 hours across country to meet up with me and edds! He brought his wife along in their vintage Land Rover which is truly a cool truck. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing it parked up the curb amongst all the Beemers and Bentleys we have around here.

We had dinner and then went to a pub that me and a friend of mine here agree is "poncy" and it was sort of surreal, standing with one of my moderators at the bar waiting on our pints and the ladies' drinks while one of the ladies was another of my moderators and also is my wife ...

LF is a really cool guy -- knows a lot of jokes, is a good storyteller and (sorry Vic) has a gentle quality that doesn't really come across on NewsFix very often.

Now we need to head off to Australia and Thailand to meet the rest of the crew!
Sounds like you all had a great day, thanks for sharing.x

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
Syl
Syl

Posts : 18399
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by eddie on Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:34 am

Lord Foul wrote:the pleasure I can assure you was as much mine as it was yours, You both are great folks, good hosts and most the pleasant of company. Ben Is a fine fellow, and is just as he comes across on here, a real genuine guy, and Eddie???  well she is "what you see is what you get" ...crazy mushroom muncher and all round nutter. We had an enjoyable afternoon with you and only wish it could have been longer, well, hopefully soon that will be possible, the invite to the wood stands

Well your wife enjoyed one of my mushrooms Cool
Have to meet up again soon.

_________________
“Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons ”
― Anon.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 37442
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 48
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by >THE Ben Reilly< on Tue Mar 12, 2019 12:37 am

Lord Foul wrote:Eddie even forgave me for hiding her hand bag, then pretending I'd fallen asleep whilst being left "on watch" when she went for a smoke.....and that some one must have nicked it....the momentary look of panic.....
trouble is ...I couldnt keep a straight face......

Yeah, that had me a little panicked too! But you timed it exactly right so we didn't get to the point where we were truly despairing Laughing
>THE Ben Reilly<
>THE Ben Reilly<
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 25856
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Essex

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by Eilzel on Tue Mar 12, 2019 5:12 am

>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:So the other day, Lord Foul was kind enough to drive about 4 hours across country to meet up with me and edds! He brought his wife along in their vintage Land Rover which is truly a cool truck. I thoroughly enjoyed seeing it parked up the curb amongst all the Beemers and Bentleys we have around here.

We had dinner and then went to a pub that me and a friend of mine here agree is "poncy" and it was sort of surreal, standing with one of my moderators at the bar waiting on our pints and the ladies' drinks while one of the ladies was another of my moderators and also is my wife ...

LF is a really cool guy -- knows a lot of jokes, is a good storyteller and (sorry Vic) has a gentle quality that doesn't really come across on NewsFix very often.

Now we need to head off to Australia and Thailand to meet the rest of the crew!

Awesome!

I seriously look forward the day you guys manage to make it to Thailand (considering the length, it might be worth doing Aus and Thailand in one long trip lol). We'd love to show you all the best bits too Smile

Or in England, gutted we just miss you this time Neutral

_________________
"The reactionary is always willing to take a progressive attitude on any issue that is dead" Teddy Roosevelt

"The beginning of wisdom is the definition of terms" Socrates
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Posts : 7576
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 33
Location : Lan Na

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by SEXY MAMA on Tue Mar 12, 2019 10:59 am


How sweet x

So I’ve just moved to Norfolk and OMG it’s truly magnificent.

I’d love to meet up let me if any of you fancy it Wink

_________________
"Do not be people without minds of your own, saying that if others treat you well you will treat them well, and that if they do wrong you will do wrong to them. Instead, accustom yourselves to do good if people do good and not to do wrong (even) if they do evil.” — Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA

Posts : 3063
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 45

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by eddie on Wed Mar 13, 2019 6:02 pm

SEXY MAMA wrote:
How sweet x

So I’ve just moved to Norfolk and OMG it’s truly magnificent.

I’d love to meet up let me if any of you fancy it Wink

I’d love to meet up with you. Unfortunately, I’m working the rest of this week and next week is Ben’s last week here and we have quite a bit to do.
But when he’s next back we will sort out a meeting with you and others.

_________________
“Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons ”
― Anon.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 37442
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 48
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by Victorismyhero on Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:28 pm

SEXY MAMA wrote:
How sweet x

So I’ve just moved to Norfolk and OMG it’s truly magnificent.

I’d love to meet up let me if any of you fancy it Wink

Be careful mama....the natives all have 6 fingers on each hand and 7 toes on each foot....and REAL close family ties.......

_________________
If at any time in 2018 I have annoyed you, pissed you off or said the wrong thing....Suck it up snowflake, cause 2019 AINT gonna be any different

Patience my Ass......I' m gonna KILLsomething

.(It's hard to remember that the task is to drain the swamp, when you are up to your arse in alligators)

[b]I DONT BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Posts : 10350
Join date : 2015-11-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by SEXY MAMA on Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:38 pm

Lord Foul wrote:
SEXY MAMA wrote:
How sweet x

So I’ve just moved to Norfolk and OMG it’s truly magnificent.

I’d love to meet up let me if any of you fancy it Wink

Be careful mama....the natives all have 6 fingers on each hand and 7 toes on each foot....and REAL close family ties.......

Hahaha!

They seem to be awesome people here.

I’m the only Asian and Muslim here but I tell you I feel so at ‘home’ it’s unbelivable!

_________________
"Do not be people without minds of your own, saying that if others treat you well you will treat them well, and that if they do wrong you will do wrong to them. Instead, accustom yourselves to do good if people do good and not to do wrong (even) if they do evil.” — Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA

Posts : 3063
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 45

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by SEXY MAMA on Wed Mar 13, 2019 7:40 pm

eddie wrote:
SEXY MAMA wrote:
How sweet x

So I’ve just moved to Norfolk and OMG it’s truly magnificent.

I’d love to meet up let me if any of you fancy it Wink

I’d love to meet up with you. Unfortunately, I’m working the rest of this week and next week is Ben’s last week here and we have quite a bit to do.
But when he’s next back we will sort out a meeting with you and others.

Definitely

You have my number let me know x


_________________
"Do not be people without minds of your own, saying that if others treat you well you will treat them well, and that if they do wrong you will do wrong to them. Instead, accustom yourselves to do good if people do good and not to do wrong (even) if they do evil.” — Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)
SEXY MAMA
SEXY MAMA

Posts : 3063
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 45

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by >THE Ben Reilly< on Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:53 pm

Okay, so we've been sitting on some fantastic news!

A few days ago, Eddie and I went to consult an immigration attorney, and he gave us a very straightforward way forward that won't require us to raise a small fortune.

Eddie's going to have to work a bit more, and previously we didn't think she could because of the need to take care of our little girl. But the lawyer helpfully pointed out that since I'm American, I can stay in England for up to six months -- so the plan is for me to run the house while Eddie's working more.

It's not all guaranteed yet, and we still do have about £4,000 to raise to cover various fees, but what we haven't yet saved up will be covered with a bit of help from our families.

So basically, if everything goes the way we think it will, I should be a legal resident of the UK on a spouse visa by around the end of this year or the beginning of next!

That will last me two and a half years. At the end of that time, I reapply, and as long as I've been working and haven't gotten in trouble with the law, I can apply for another two and a half years. After I've been living here legally for 5 years, I can apply for citizenship.

It all came together so simply and quickly that my head is still spinning, and edd's too. I can't express the peace of mind this news has brought.

I'll be going back to Texas on Saturday, but probably only staying for a month to six weeks, so long as things fall into place with Eddie's job. And if for some reason they don't, then she'll find another job that will give us what we need. It might take a little longer, but we were both worried that this could take years and years to achieve. Now we know that it won't be too long.

clappy fiesta My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 3852033631 cheers bounce
>THE Ben Reilly<
>THE Ben Reilly<
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 25856
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Essex

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by Guest on Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:56 pm

>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:Okay, so we've been sitting on some fantastic news!

A few days ago, Eddie and I went to consult an immigration attorney, and he gave us a very straightforward way forward that won't require us to raise a small fortune.

Eddie's going to have to work a bit more, and previously we didn't think she could because of the need to take care of our little girl. But the lawyer helpfully pointed out that since I'm American, I can stay in England for up to six months -- so the plan is for me to run the house while Eddie's working more.

It's not all guaranteed yet, and we still do have about £4,000 to raise to cover various fees, but what we haven't yet saved up will be covered with a bit of help from our families.

So basically, if everything goes the way we think it will, I should be a legal resident of the UK on a spouse visa by around the end of this year or the beginning of next!

That will last me two and a half years. At the end of that time, I reapply, and as long as I've been working and haven't gotten in trouble with the law, I can apply for another two and a half years. After I've been living here legally for 5 years, I can apply for citizenship.

It all came together so simply and quickly that my head is still spinning, and edd's too. I can't express the peace of mind this news has brought.

I'll be going back to Texas on Saturday, but probably only staying for a month to six weeks, so long as things fall into place with Eddie's job. And if for some reason they don't, then she'll find another job that will give us what we need. It might take a little longer, but we were both worried that this could take years and years to achieve. Now we know that it won't be too long.

clappy fiesta My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 3852033631 cheers bounce




so pleased for you both

great news

xx cheers

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by Victorismyhero on Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:05 pm

>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:Okay, so we've been sitting on some fantastic news!

A few days ago, Eddie and I went to consult an immigration attorney, and he gave us a very straightforward way forward that won't require us to raise a small fortune.

Eddie's going to have to work a bit more, and previously we didn't think she could because of the need to take care of our little girl. But the lawyer helpfully pointed out that since I'm American, I can stay in England for up to six months -- so the plan is for me to run the house while Eddie's working more.

It's not all guaranteed yet, and we still do have about £4,000 to raise to cover various fees, but what we haven't yet saved up will be covered with a bit of help from our families.

So basically, if everything goes the way we think it will, I should be a legal resident of the UK on a spouse visa by around the end of this year or the beginning of next!

That will last me two and a half years. At the end of that time, I reapply, and as long as I've been working and haven't gotten in trouble with the law, I can apply for another two and a half years. After I've been living here legally for 5 years, I can apply for citizenship.

It all came together so simply and quickly that my head is still spinning, and edd's too. I can't express the peace of mind this news has brought.

I'll be going back to Texas on Saturday, but probably only staying for a month to six weeks, so long as things fall into place with Eddie's job. And if for some reason they don't, then she'll find another job that will give us what we need. It might take a little longer, but we were both worried that this could take years and years to achieve. Now we know that it won't be too long.

clappy fiesta My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 3852033631 cheers bounce


Brilliant news, so pleased for you both cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers cheers

_________________
If at any time in 2018 I have annoyed you, pissed you off or said the wrong thing....Suck it up snowflake, cause 2019 AINT gonna be any different

Patience my Ass......I' m gonna KILLsomething

.(It's hard to remember that the task is to drain the swamp, when you are up to your arse in alligators)

[b]I DONT BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Posts : 10350
Join date : 2015-11-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by Syl on Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:11 pm

Truly glad for you all.
Just shows if you want something badly enough you will find a way. I love you

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
Syl
Syl

Posts : 18399
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by Vintage on Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:15 pm

Absolutely fantastic news.

Vintage

Posts : 1737
Join date : 2013-08-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by eddie on Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:21 pm

Thank you so much everyone. Your support has been invaluable. I mean that x

And thanks for the phone call Vic Wink

_________________
“Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons ”
― Anon.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 37442
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 48
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by >THE Ben Reilly< on Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:24 pm

Yes, as I was just saying to Vic, the support we've gotten from members here has helped more than you may know. Just to know that people are cheering for you and hopeful that you'll get what you want has been a tremendous comfort.
>THE Ben Reilly<
>THE Ben Reilly<
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 25856
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Essex

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by Jules on Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:20 pm

Big congratulations to you both.   flower
The one good thing about expecting the worst case scenario [which you both seemed to do] is - it can only get better. 


And look at the timing. What style!
Say hello to a new chapter &  new dawn.

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Welcome-spring-clipart-12

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Spring_004

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 312471

_________________
"an invincible summer"- Camus
Jules
Jules

Posts : 3047
Join date : 2016-07-30
Location : Vantage Point

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by eddie on Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:24 pm

That’s really nice Jules!

_________________
“Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons ”
― Anon.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 37442
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 48
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by Jules on Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:29 pm

You're welcome, eddie!
First day of spring brought fresh hope with it.
The symbolic timing piqued me.

_________________
"an invincible summer"- Camus
Jules
Jules

Posts : 3047
Join date : 2016-07-30
Location : Vantage Point

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by >THE Ben Reilly< on Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:51 am

So here's (probably) my last entry on this diary for now, as tomorrow's my last day here.

After about 9 weeks, England doesn't feel like being in a different country anymore. The accents don't sound exotic; they sound like home.

London isn't some far-away city; it's a place I can get to on the Tube. It's not weird to me that grocery stores sell whiskey and gin; it's not weird to me not to see signs in English and Spanish.

It's not just that my family is here; it's also that my friends are here. And it's not that I always love what they all do, because that's not real, and what I have is real.

I like the little things -- the smell of a fish and chips shop, the sight of schoolchildren in uniform, wearing a scarf when it's cold outside, asking for a little brown sauce on my food order, walking rather than driving, the designs of the traffic signs and license plates, the different sound you hear on the phone when you're calling someone.

I like how people are more straightforward and unafraid to voice their opinions. You don't get that nearly as much in America -- Americans don't open up about themselves and their beliefs much when you first meet them.

I like how in England, people realize there's more to life than working your ass off constantly; how they know that your job doesn't define you.

I really like it here. It's looking now like I'll get to move here to be with my wife, most importantly, and my stepkids -- but as big of a deal as that is to me, and as exciting as it is, I'm also excited to live in this country and see what I can be here.
>THE Ben Reilly<
>THE Ben Reilly<
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 25856
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Essex

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by eddie on Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:55 am

“I like how people are more straightforward and unafraid to voice their opinions”

A direct quote. And you know why? I only surround myself with people like that, as you’ve seen. They are raw and ugly and beautiful and you have seen that these are the people who are real.

You can’t like someone until you’ve hated them. Right?

_________________
“Some people will never like you because your spirit irritates their demons ”
― Anon.
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 37442
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 48
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by >THE Ben Reilly< on Fri Mar 22, 2019 2:58 am

eddie wrote:“I like how people are more straightforward and unafraid to voice their opinions”

A direct quote. And you know why? I only surround myself with people like that, as you’ve seen. They are raw and ugly and beautiful and you have seen that these are the people who are real.

You can’t like someone until you’ve hated them. Right?

Absolutely. I've seen you get into roaring fights with people who you care about quite deeply. I've been one of them at times! And then you can go right back to being their friend.

I've told you that I don't think you can call anyone a friend until you've had a fight with them and made up.
>THE Ben Reilly<
>THE Ben Reilly<
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 25856
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 44
Location : Essex

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by HoratioTarr on Fri Mar 22, 2019 11:11 am

>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:So here's (probably) my last entry on this diary for now, as tomorrow's my last day here.

After about 9 weeks, England doesn't feel like being in a different country anymore. The accents don't sound exotic; they sound like home.

London isn't some far-away city; it's a place I can get to on the Tube. It's not weird to me that grocery stores sell whiskey and gin; it's not weird to me not to see signs in English and Spanish.

It's not just that my family is here; it's also that my friends are here. And it's not that I always love what they all do, because that's not real, and what I have is real.

I like the little things -- the smell of a fish and chips shop, the sight of schoolchildren in uniform, wearing a scarf when it's cold outside, asking for a little brown sauce on my food order, walking rather than driving, the designs of the traffic signs and license plates, the different sound you hear on the phone when you're calling someone.

I like how people are more straightforward and unafraid to voice their opinions. You don't get that nearly as much in America -- Americans don't open up about themselves and their beliefs much when you first meet them.

I like how in England, people realize there's more to life than working your ass off constantly; how they know that your job doesn't define you.

I really like it here. It's looking now like I'll get to move here to be with my wife, most importantly, and my stepkids -- but as big of a deal as that is to me, and as exciting as it is, I'm also excited to live in this country and see what I can be here.

You haven't lived until you've had a pork pie from Howarth's in Urmston!!!!!!!
HoratioTarr
HoratioTarr

Posts : 9504
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty! - Page 4 Empty Re: My England Diary or, a Texan in Old Blighty!

Post by Syl on Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:32 pm

>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:
eddie wrote:“I like how people are more straightforward and unafraid to voice their opinions”

A direct quote. And you know why? I only surround myself with people like that, as you’ve seen. They are raw and ugly and beautiful and you have seen that these are the people who are real.

You can’t like someone until you’ve hated them. Right?

Absolutely. I've seen you get into roaring fights with people who you care about quite deeply. I've been one of them at times! And then you can go right back to being their friend.

I've told you that I don't think you can call anyone a friend until you've had a fight with them and made up.


I have always thought till you see the worst in people you wont ever get to see the good in them.
Who wants to go through life looking at window dressing?

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
Syl
Syl

Posts : 18399
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum