Tulsi Gabbard says she will run for president in 2020

Go down

Tulsi Gabbard says she will run for president in 2020

Post by Maddog on Sat Jan 12, 2019 7:00 am

(CNN)Rep. Tulsi Gabbard said Friday she will run for president in 2020.

"I have decided to run and will be making a formal announcement within the next week," the Hawaii Democrat told CNN's Van Jones during an interview slated to air at 7 p.m. Saturday on CNN's "The Van Jones Show."
Gabbard, an Iraq War veteran, currently serves on the House Foreign Affairs Committee. She is the first American Samoan and the first Hindu member of Congress.

"There are a lot of reasons for me to make this decision. There are a lot of challenges that are facing the American people that I'm concerned about and that I want to help solve," she said, listing health care access, criminal justice reform and climate change as key platform issues.

"There is one main issue that is central to the rest, and that is the issue of war and peace," Gabbard added. "I look forward to being able to get into this and to talk about it in depth when we make our announcement."
Rania Batrice, who was a deputy campaign manager for Bernie Sanders in 2016 and is now a top aide to Gabbard, will be the campaign manager, Batrice says.

In 2015, Gabbard, then a vice-chairwoman of the Democratic National Committee, was sharply critical of its then-chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz for scheduling just six presidential debates during the 2016 primary election cycle. She later resigned her post as DNC vice chair to become one of Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders' highest-profile supporters, aligning herself with his populist economic message.

Gabbard has staked out anti-interventionist foreign policy positions in Congress. Her 2017 meeting with Syrian dictator Bashar Al-Assad drew widespread criticism. "Initially, I hadn't planned on meeting him," Gabbard told CNN's Jake Tapper in January of 2017. "When the opportunity arose to meet with him, I did so because I felt it's important that if we profess to truly care about the Syrian people, about their suffering, then we've got to be able to meet with anyone that we need to if there is a possibility that we could achieve peace, and that's exactly what we talked about."

https://www.cnn.com/2019/01/11/politics/tulsi-gabbard-van-jones/index.html

I have never voted for a Dem, and I probably wont start with her, but if I were ever to be swayed...............................

That being said, I don't think the Dems are smart enough to pick her.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Tulsi Gabbard says she will run for president in 2020

Post by Original Quill on Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:28 am

Yeah, she's pretty kool.

But I've said before, without bias, America will never pick a woman as president. Wrong typecasting.

Some point out that Europeans pick women for PM all the time. But they have parliamentary systems, where the PM is not chosen by the people.

Hell, we have a woman as Speaker of the House. Again, selected by other legislators. Asking for a women to be chosen for president, is like asking the audience to select a woman to play Rhett Butler in Gone With The Wind. Wrong casting.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

If you can't indict, and you don't impeach, you've got villainy.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:21 pm

Original Quill wrote:Yeah, she's pretty kool.

But I've said before, without bias, America will never pick a woman as president.  Wrong typecasting.

Some point out that Europeans pick women for PM all the time.  But they have parliamentary systems, where the PM is not chosen by the people.

Hell, we have a woman as Speaker of the House.  Again, selected by other legislators.  Asking for a women to be chosen for president, is like asking the audience to select a woman to play Rhett Butler in Gone With The Wind.  Wrong casting.

I heard that about a black man too.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:23 pm

And this isn't really about her winning the presidency.  Obviously Dems will nominate a woman.  There is a good chance they do it again. But are they smart enough to pick this one.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:32 am

Maddog wrote:
Original Quill wrote:Yeah, she's pretty kool.

But I've said before, without bias, America will never pick a woman as president.  Wrong typecasting.

Some point out that Europeans pick women for PM all the time.  But they have parliamentary systems, where the PM is not chosen by the people.

Hell, we have a woman as Speaker of the House.  Again, selected by other legislators.  Asking for a women to be chosen for president, is like asking the audience to select a woman to play Rhett Butler in Gone With The Wind.  Wrong casting.

There's no gender conflict with a black man. It worked, and worked very well. Dr. Obama is arguably the greatest president the US has ever had.

No, the theory that a woman won't work as president comes directly from Central Casting. Is Scarlett O'Hara to be played by Jean-Claude Van Damme? The American president is supposed to be a male super-hero. A vagina does not fit.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:06 am

Original Quill wrote:
Maddog wrote:

There's no gender conflict with a black man.  It worked, and worked very well.  Dr. Obama is arguably the greatest president the US has ever had.

No, the theory that a woman won't work as president comes directly from Central Casting.  Is Scarlett O'Hara to be played by Jean-Claude Van Damme?  The American president is supposed to be a male super-hero.  A vagina does not fit.

Are you saying the Dems will never nominate another woman?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by >THE Ben Reilly< on Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:03 am

Trump, Obama, Bush, Clinton, what did they all have in common?

More personality than the person they ran against.

Just saying.

“As man advances in civilization, and small tribes are united into larger communities, the simplest reason would tell each individual that he ought to extend his social instincts and sympathies to all members of the same nation, though personally unknown to him. This point being once reached, there is only an artificial barrier to prevent his sympathies extending to the men of all nations and races.”

Charles Darwin
>THE Ben Reilly<
>THE Ben Reilly<
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:45 am

Maddog wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

There's no gender conflict with a black man.  It worked, and worked very well.  Dr. Obama is arguably the greatest president the US has ever had.

No, the theory that a woman won't work as president comes directly from Central Casting.  Is Scarlett O'Hara to be played by Jean-Claude Van Damme?  The American president is supposed to be a male super-hero.  A vagina does not fit.

No. I'm saying a woman will never be elected. This is all down to the electorate, not the party.

Original Quill
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:10 am

Original Quill wrote:
Maddog wrote:

No.  I'm saying a woman will never be elected.  This is all down to the electorate, not the party.
"That being said, I don't think the Dems are smart enough to pick her."

I guess you missed this.  

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:13 am

>THE Ben Reilly< wrote:Trump, Obama, Bush, Clinton, what did they all have in common?

More personality than the person they ran against.

Just saying.

There may be something to that, unfortunately.  

That may come into play in picking nominees too.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down