Egypt's president decries migrants heading to Europe and refusing to integrate instead of fixing their own countries

Go down

Egypt's president decries migrants heading to Europe and refusing to integrate instead of fixing their own countries Empty Egypt's president decries migrants heading to Europe and refusing to integrate instead of fixing their own countries

Post by phildidge on Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:16 am

Egypt's President has told his people they should not expect the West to 'open their doors' to migrants who refuse to integrate. Abdel Fattah al-Sisi said that 'every country has the right to protect its people and their interests.'

Speaking at a World Youth Forum in Sharm-el-Sheikh, Egypt, the country's leader told guests they had to 'completely abide by the laws, customs, traditions and culture' of a country they moved to.

His comments came last month but have only now been reported by U.S.-based research institute MEMRI.

The Egyptian President told the audience that the West could not be expected to allow in people from countries who 'fight amongst ourselves'.

He said: 'Every country has the right to protect its people and their interests. It must generally respect human rights in a framework that preserves its national interests.

'Instead of asking me why countries [in the West] close their gates to us, you should ask yourself why the people of Afghanistan don't take better care of their own country.  

'Why have they been killing one another for 40 years?

This happens in other countries as well – in Pakistan, in Egypt, in Syria, in Libya, in Iraq, in Yemen, and in Somalia.

'We fight amongst ourselves in our own countries, and then we expect countries that work day and night to achieve progress to protect their people and to maintain a certain standard of living for them – we demand that they let us in so we can have part of their [success].'

Sisi, 64, told the audience that the leaders of 'Germany, England, Italy or any other European country' would protect their borders 'in order to protect the achievements of many long years'.

He said: 'Do you expect them to open their doors so that we can go there demanding to keep our own culture?

'We demand to keep our culture, which could be very different from the work ethic in those countries.

'You demand to go there with your culture which you consider to be non-negotiable. You say, "this is how we are and you must accept us [because of] human rights". No.

'By the way, if you go to another country as a guest, you must completely abide by its laws, customs, traditions and culture. You must abide by them completely. If you are not willing to do this, don't go.

'Don't expect them to open the door for you so you can go into their country and cause trouble. No.'

Sisi took power in 2014, after helping to remove the Muslim Brotherhood-backed president Mohamed Morsi the previous year.

He has previously held talks with German Chancellor Angela Merkel as Europe bids to resolve the migrant crisis.

In October this year the two leaders met in Berlin at a summit designed to help reduce unemployment in Africa, in an effort to make migration less necessary.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6491787/Egypts-president-decries-migrants-heading-Europe-refusing-integrate.html

phildidge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Egypt's president decries migrants heading to Europe and refusing to integrate instead of fixing their own countries Empty Re: Egypt's president decries migrants heading to Europe and refusing to integrate instead of fixing their own countries

Post by Tommy Monk on Thu Dec 13, 2018 8:23 am

Yet when I say the same, I am denounced as a "racist/islamaphobe" etc...

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Egypt's president decries migrants heading to Europe and refusing to integrate instead of fixing their own countries Empty Re: Egypt's president decries migrants heading to Europe and refusing to integrate instead of fixing their own countries

Post by nicko on Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:28 am

Have to agree with that man.
nicko
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers on Fri Dec 14, 2018 10:52 am

A man who clearly has the wisdom of his pharaonic ancestors.

Personally, I neither expect nor wish immigrants to this country to abrogate their religion, culture, customs and traditions.

But what I do expect is that they don't come here, yell Allahu Akbar...and bomb or shoot me because I do not wish to adopt their religion, culture, customs and traditions.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by phildidge on Fri Dec 14, 2018 1:34 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:A man who clearly has the wisdom of his pharaonic ancestors.

Personally, I neither expect nor wish immigrants to this country to abrogate their religion, culture, customs and traditions.

But what I do expect is that they don't come here, yell Allahu Akbar...and bomb or shoot me because I do not wish to adopt their religion, culture, customs and traditions.

+1

phildidge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage on Fri Dec 14, 2018 2:00 pm

Lucky he is Egyptian, had he been European or American he'd have been verbally burnt at the stake by now.

Vintage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:58 am

Two things:

It's unreasonable to say "fix your own country" in some cases. If you're living in a country with an oppressive government or one that doesn't maintain a semblance of law and order, there isn't much you can do unless you're ready to take up arms and fight in a civil war.

Fred's totally right and nobody thinks that violence should be tolerated from migrants.

- Beck
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:03 am

Absolutely people should integrate into the country they choose to live in.
The worst people for this in the UK are the Orthodox Jews and some groups of Pakistanis

eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:19 am

eddie wrote:Absolutely people should integrate into the country they choose to live in.
The worst people for this in the UK are the Orthodox Jews and some groups of Pakistanis

I don't think you should have to change your culture just because you've moved to a different country. Just don't hurt anybody.

It doesn't hurt anybody to keep up Orthodox Jewish or Pakistani traditions and culture in the UK, does it? To me that sort of thing just makes a place more interesting to live in.

- Beck
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:22 am

I was talking about INTEGRATING.

integrating...you know, learning the language etc?

eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:27 am

eddie wrote:I was talking about INTEGRATING.

Ah, see, when I hear people complaining that immigrants don't integrate, they usually mean that they don't completely adopt the culture of the country they've moved to.

- Beck
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:42 am

eddie wrote:I was talking about INTEGRATING.

Some people are better at learning language than others. As a general rule, the younger the person, the greater the ability to learn. When I was growing up, we had a live-in housekeeper with a 7-year old daughter from Peru. The little girl was speaking English within a few months, even using idioms; the mother never learned English.

Customs, habits and rituals are the same, particularly when they come from a deeply religious culture. Integration comes slowly, even over generations...and then it's only a hybrid, which makes for a rich and robust nation.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down