Bath Spa University to ignore grades and offer £750 bonus to new students

Go down

Bath Spa University to ignore grades and offer £750 bonus to new students

Post by Thor on Wed Nov 21, 2018 11:44 am

Bath Spa University has become the first in the country to ignore grades and move to unconditional offers only.

Every single student applying to the university this year will be offered a face-to-face interview or audition, and they may be asked to submit a portfolio of their work if applying for a course in art or design. If they impress tutors, they will be offered a place regardless of their A-level results.

School leavers who exceed the A-level grades predicted by their school will be awarded a £750 bonus by the university if they take up a place at Bath Spa.  

Professor Sue Rigby, vice-Chancellor of the university, said that the new admissions policy is aimed at reducing the anxiety and stress that students endure in their final years of school.

“Young people are asked to jump through so many hoops before they get to university, they maybe forget that this is their passion,” she told The Daily Telegraph.

“It is about recognising that A-levels are not the only way of judging the 'best' students. So much rides on a very small amount of time and I’m not sure that is the right way to encourage people. If you are tense and miserable when you arrive at university, your chances of doing well are very low.”

“We would offer an interview to everyone - not everyone would take it up, it may be that they are not so interested in coming. But everyone who is serious about coming, we want to talk to. It’s a massive investment by us but it’s the only way to source the right talent.”

She said that the university, which specialises in liberal arts, has set aside enough money so that even if every single student exceeds their predicted grades, they will all be given the £750 bonus.

“It’s a punt - but if I was lucky enough to get a cohort all of whom did better than expected I would be opening champagne, I would be taking the financial hit,” Prof Rigby said.

“We have moved resources within our existing budgets to prioritise this initiative because it is about shaping the university application process around the students and their needs now.

“A cynic might say you are only doing this to get people through the door - I say I am doing this to get the right people through the door.”


telegraph.co.uk/education/2018/11/20/bath-spa-university-ignore-a-level-grades-move-unconditional/

I am seriously thinking of leaving the UK, as this is getting worse than a joke

I wonder what the requirements to join will be by the Tutors to impress them?

Love Stalin and Mao
Marxism
Get upset at their own shadow
Hate anyone right of Marxism
Be an active member of Antifa
Vegan
Have a least 5 safe space issues

Rolling Eyes

Thor

Posts : 1012
Join date : 2018-11-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bath Spa University to ignore grades and offer £750 bonus to new students

Post by Eilzel on Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:46 pm

Thor wrote:Bath Spa University has become the first in the country to ignore grades and move to unconditional offers only.

Every single student applying to the university this year will be offered a face-to-face interview or audition, and they may be asked to submit a portfolio of their work if applying for a course in art or design. If they impress tutors, they will be offered a place regardless of their A-level results.

School leavers who exceed the A-level grades predicted by their school will be awarded a £750 bonus by the university if they take up a place at Bath Spa.  

Professor Sue Rigby, vice-Chancellor of the university, said that the new admissions policy is aimed at reducing the anxiety and stress that students endure in their final years of school.

“Young people are asked to jump through so many hoops before they get to university, they maybe forget that this is their passion,” she told The Daily Telegraph.

“It is about recognising that A-levels are not the only way of judging the 'best' students. So much rides on a very small amount of time and I’m not sure that is the right way to encourage people. If you are tense and miserable when you arrive at university, your chances of doing well are very low.”

“We would offer an interview to everyone - not everyone would take it up, it may be that they are not so interested in coming. But everyone who is serious about coming, we want to talk to. It’s a massive investment by us but it’s the only way to source the right talent.”

She said that the university, which specialises in liberal arts, has set aside enough money so that even if every single student exceeds their predicted grades, they will all be given the £750 bonus.

“It’s a punt - but if I was lucky enough to get a cohort all of whom did better than expected I would be opening champagne, I would be taking the financial hit,” Prof Rigby said.

“We have moved resources within our existing budgets to prioritise this initiative because it is about shaping the university application process around the students and their needs now.

“A cynic might say you are only doing this to get people through the door - I say I am doing this to get the right people through the door.”


telegraph.co.uk/education/2018/11/20/bath-spa-university-ignore-a-level-grades-move-unconditional/

I am seriously thinking of leaving the UK, as this is getting worse than a joke

I wonder what the requirements to join will be by the Tutors to impress them?

Love Stalin and Mao
Marxism
Get upset at their own shadow
Hate anyone right of Marxism
Be an active member of Antifa
Vegan
Have a least 5 safe space issues

Rolling Eyes

From the headline alone this sounds a terrible idea. But on reading the article, it does have merits.

Everyone knows that exams alone do NOT truly measure a person's ability in a subject. They do mention face to face interviews, which are on the other hand a great way to gauge one's passion and active knowledge.

So good on Bath for trying something different.

Note: being vegan and liberal do not equate to loving Mao ffs. The idea Mao wanted anything like a liberal, veggie eating society with safe spaces is laughable.

_________________
"Tolerance of intolerance is cowardice"

"The beginning of wisdom is the definition of terms"
Socrates
avatar
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Posts : 6860
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 33
Location : The Kingdom formerly known as Siam...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bath Spa University to ignore grades and offer £750 bonus to new students

Post by Thor on Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:52 pm

Eilzel wrote:
Thor wrote:Bath Spa University has become the first in the country to ignore grades and move to unconditional offers only.

Every single student applying to the university this year will be offered a face-to-face interview or audition, and they may be asked to submit a portfolio of their work if applying for a course in art or design. If they impress tutors, they will be offered a place regardless of their A-level results.

School leavers who exceed the A-level grades predicted by their school will be awarded a £750 bonus by the university if they take up a place at Bath Spa.  

Professor Sue Rigby, vice-Chancellor of the university, said that the new admissions policy is aimed at reducing the anxiety and stress that students endure in their final years of school.

“Young people are asked to jump through so many hoops before they get to university, they maybe forget that this is their passion,” she told The Daily Telegraph.

“It is about recognising that A-levels are not the only way of judging the 'best' students. So much rides on a very small amount of time and I’m not sure that is the right way to encourage people. If you are tense and miserable when you arrive at university, your chances of doing well are very low.”

“We would offer an interview to everyone - not everyone would take it up, it may be that they are not so interested in coming. But everyone who is serious about coming, we want to talk to. It’s a massive investment by us but it’s the only way to source the right talent.”

She said that the university, which specialises in liberal arts, has set aside enough money so that even if every single student exceeds their predicted grades, they will all be given the £750 bonus.

“It’s a punt - but if I was lucky enough to get a cohort all of whom did better than expected I would be opening champagne, I would be taking the financial hit,” Prof Rigby said.

“We have moved resources within our existing budgets to prioritise this initiative because it is about shaping the university application process around the students and their needs now.

“A cynic might say you are only doing this to get people through the door - I say I am doing this to get the right people through the door.”


telegraph.co.uk/education/2018/11/20/bath-spa-university-ignore-a-level-grades-move-unconditional/

I am seriously thinking of leaving the UK, as this is getting worse than a joke

I wonder what the requirements to join will be by the Tutors to impress them?

Love Stalin and Mao
Marxism
Get upset at their own shadow
Hate anyone right of Marxism
Be an active member of Antifa
Vegan
Have a least 5 safe space issues

Rolling Eyes

From the headline alone this sounds a terrible idea. But on reading the article, it does have merits.

Everyone knows that exams alone do NOT truly measure a person's ability in a subject. They do mention face to face interviews, which are on the other hand a great way to gauge one's passion and active knowledge.

So good on Bath for trying something different.

Note: being vegan and liberal do not equate to loving Mao ffs. The idea Mao wanted anything like a liberal, veggie eating society with safe spaces is laughable.

Exams alone do not, but what about those who have worked and obtained those results against those who have not?

That they could actually get in on charisma alone

If many universities started to do this, it would then make many children believe they do not have to work hard to or study to obtain getting many qualifications. That is a very bad presedent to have. All they need do is bullshit they worked hard, but got anxious during the exams

The points were taking the piss, around requirments that would satisfy tutors. Being as the vast majority are on the left. Which I see went over your lefty head.

Though I bet its not far from the truth. That it could get to the point less people with right wing beliefs, based on such a system. Where they have grades are denied entry to University. As it will be down to people they like.

Its opening the door to political/racial/gender discrimination

Thor

Posts : 1012
Join date : 2018-11-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bath Spa University to ignore grades and offer £750 bonus to new students

Post by Raggamuffin on Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:52 pm

This isn't particularly surprising. In my day, potential students went for an interview. If they particularly liked you they would request pretty low grades, and if they thought you were just so-so they would ask for high grades.

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 31707
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bath Spa University to ignore grades and offer £750 bonus to new students

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:05 am

Suspect

No doubt Dodge would like to let students into Fine Arts or 'Design or Music courses on their exam scores alone, irrespective of whether or not they have any talent i that field, or turn out PE teachers who are hopeless at sports ???

As for Dodge constantly throwing around Mao and Marx's names willy nilly, when referring to anybody to the left of Tommy, nicko and Freddie -- maybe he should actually read up on the history and philosophies of various communist and socialist icons, before trying to link them with anyone with any left-leaning tendencies at all..

_________________
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Our life is frittered away by details. Simplify, simplify.
The mass of men lead lives of quite desperation.
Henry David Thoreau
avatar
WhoseYourWolfie

Posts : 6442
Join date : 2016-02-24
Age : 60
Location : Lake Macquarie, NSW, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bath Spa University to ignore grades and offer £750 bonus to new students

Post by Thor on Thu Nov 22, 2018 2:55 am

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:Suspect

No doubt Dodge would like to let students into Fine Arts or 'Design or Music courses on their exam scores alone, irrespective of whether or not they have any talent i  that field,  or turn out PE teachers who are hopeless at sports  ???

As for Dodge constantly throwing around Mao and Marx's names willy nilly, when referring to anybody to the left of Tommy, nicko and Freddie  --  maybe he should actually read up on the history and philosophies of various communist and socialist icons, before trying to link them with anyone with any left-leaning tendencies at all..  


I see my points went over your head as well.

What was my reply to Eilzel?

I mean has everyone forgotten there is a lawsuit against Harvard, based on this very issue?

Where Asians have been denied a place based on a personality test?

Thor

Posts : 1012
Join date : 2018-11-16

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Bath Spa University to ignore grades and offer £750 bonus to new students

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum