Scientists say homosexuality is "30-40 percent genetic" in men

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Scientists say homosexuality is "30-40 percent genetic" in men - Page 2 Empty Scientists say homosexuality is "30-40 percent genetic" in men

Post by Ben Reilly on Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:54 pm

First topic message reminder :

A new scientific study has found that 30 to 40 percent of a man's homosexuality is a result of genetics, while the rest is due to ‘environmental factors.’
Genes are involved in determining sexual orientation, a new scientific study has found. Michael Bailey, a psychologist at Northwestern University in Illinois, and his colleagues discovered that at least two chromosomes have an effect on whether a man was gay or straight.

Bailey disclosed the results of tests of 409 gay brothers and their family members at the annual American Association for the Advancement of Science conference in Chicago. Genetic factors, the researchers claimed, account for between 30 and 40 percent of a person's homosexuality.

Bailey told The London Times, “Sexual orientation has nothing to do with choice. Our findings suggest there may be genes at play and we found evidence for two sets that affect whether a man is gay or straight.”

However, Bailey's research does not support the existence of a sole "gay gene." He said sexuality was also formed, to a significant degree, by environmental factors. "Don't confuse 'environmental' with 'socially acquired'," he said. "Environment means anything that is not in our DNA at birth, and that includes a lot of stuff that is not social."

Dr. Alan Sanders, associate professor of psychiatry at Northwestern University, who led the study, told The Telegraph, “We don’t think genetics is the whole story. It’s not. We have a gene that contributes to homosexuality, but you could say it is linked to heterosexuality. It is the variation.”

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/02/15/do-you-have-gay-dna.html

_________________
"Some would call it happiness, but I like to think that what I found is me. That sounds simple enough, but the truth is, it took quite a while to do it."

- Willie Nelson
Ben Reilly
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. God of Thunder.

Posts : 27635
Join date : 2013-01-20
Age : 44
Location : Tesco's

http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down


Scientists say homosexuality is "30-40 percent genetic" in men - Page 2 Empty Re: Scientists say homosexuality is "30-40 percent genetic" in men

Post by Eilzel on Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:05 am

heavenly father wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

Yes, but sadly you are going of ignorance I'm going off being a gay man- who will know best? Now I have never been promiscuous, I am in a long term relationship with someone I do intend one day soon to marry and we may have kids. I have never heard of anyone suffering a prolapsed bowel; neither me nor my BF have any STDs or HIV; you pride float is just you being your usual idiot self, choking?; so how exactly am I, or any other of the millions of men like me, more likely to die before 60?

while i believe what you say about being not being promiscuous, i'm afraid the percentages are against you there, perhaps your bf might be telling you pork pies about his past and even his present..

you asked ways that a gay could die and i listed the obvious ones... :D 

So because some stat you have seen (where? Costa posted one today on flap about it being 12 years ONLY for those who suffer homophobic abuse) suggests 'on average' you take that to mean all gay men will die around 20 years younger than the average man? Do you understand how such figures work?

You really do have a warped mind- do you ever wonder what your God would think of your attitude?
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Posts : 8034
Join date : 2013-12-13
Age : 34
Location : Lan Na

Back to top Go down

Scientists say homosexuality is "30-40 percent genetic" in men - Page 2 Empty Re: Scientists say homosexuality is "30-40 percent genetic" in men

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:13 am

Eilzel wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

while i believe what you say about being not being promiscuous, i'm afraid the percentages are against you there, perhaps your bf might be telling you pork pies about his past and even his present..

you asked ways that a gay could die and i listed the obvious ones... :D 

So because some stat you have seen (where? Costa posted one today on flap about it being 12 years ONLY for those who suffer homophobic abuse) suggests 'on average' you take that to mean all gay men will die around 20 years younger than the average man? Do you understand how such figures work?

You really do have a warped mind- do you ever wonder what your God would think of your attitude?

well 20 is the one i saw along with others but hey let's say it's a fact that on average gays die 12 years younger than normal men, doesn't that tell you something about the chosen lifestyle..

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Scientists say homosexuality is "30-40 percent genetic" in men - Page 2 Empty Re: Scientists say homosexuality is "30-40 percent genetic" in men

Post by Eilzel on Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:15 am

heavenly father wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

So because some stat you have seen (where? Costa posted one today on flap about it being 12 years ONLY for those who suffer homophobic abuse) suggests 'on average' you take that to mean all gay men will die around 20 years younger than the average man? Do you understand how such figures work?

You really do have a warped mind- do you ever wonder what your God would think of your attitude?

well 20 is the one i saw along with others but hey let's say it's  a fact that on average gays die 12 years younger than normal men, doesn't that tell you something about the chosen lifestyle..

See you are having trouble reading again. That report was on gay men who suffer homophobic abuse only (a factor you noticeably avoided) not all gay men- only those being abused by outside forces- ie: homophobes.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Posts : 8034
Join date : 2013-12-13
Age : 34
Location : Lan Na

Back to top Go down

Scientists say homosexuality is "30-40 percent genetic" in men - Page 2 Empty Re: Scientists say homosexuality is "30-40 percent genetic" in men

Post by Eilzel on Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:17 am

However I must add; that the problem then wouldn't be my lifestyle choice it would be a problem with idiotic bigots.

As it happens however I don't and haven't suffered homophobic abuse, maybe because it isn't obvious that I'm gay but even when I've been hand in hand with my BF in the city we've never had a problem Smile

_________________
"The reactionary is always willing to take a progressive attitude on any issue that is dead" Teddy Roosevelt

"The beginning of wisdom is the definition of terms" Socrates
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Posts : 8034
Join date : 2013-12-13
Age : 34
Location : Lan Na

Back to top Go down

Scientists say homosexuality is "30-40 percent genetic" in men - Page 2 Empty Re: Scientists say homosexuality is "30-40 percent genetic" in men

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:17 am

Eilzel wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

well 20 is the one i saw along with others but hey let's say it's  a fact that on average gays die 12 years younger than normal men, doesn't that tell you something about the chosen lifestyle..

See you are having trouble reading again. That report was on gay men who suffer homophobic abuse only (a factor you noticeably avoided) not all gay men- only those being abused by outside forces- ie: homophobes.

wow what a very specific report but to hear gays they all complain of anti gay abuse, so it does apply to them all... :D 

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Scientists say homosexuality is "30-40 percent genetic" in men - Page 2 Empty Re: Scientists say homosexuality is "30-40 percent genetic" in men

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:19 am

So is the other 60-70% of their genes heterosexual?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Scientists say homosexuality is "30-40 percent genetic" in men - Page 2 Empty Re: Scientists say homosexuality is "30-40 percent genetic" in men

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:21 am

Shady wrote:So is the other 60-70% of their genes heterosexual?

good point, so they are straight but a bit bent at the end... :D 

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Scientists say homosexuality is "30-40 percent genetic" in men - Page 2 Empty Re: Scientists say homosexuality is "30-40 percent genetic" in men

Post by Eilzel on Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:22 am

heavenly father wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

See you are having trouble reading again. That report was on gay men who suffer homophobic abuse only (a factor you noticeably avoided) not all gay men- only those being abused by outside forces- ie: homophobes.

wow what a very specific report but to hear gays they all complain of anti gay abuse, so it does apply to them all... :D 

Tbh HF such polls are bollocks imo; but you seemed pretty confident in the one you saw- perhaps because you liked the implications? May your God forgive your wicked thoughts...

I don't complain of abuse to me personally, because I haven't had any, I will complain for others though. Is there any subject out of interest you actually do know anything about- aside from biscuit dunking that is  Laughing 

_________________
"The reactionary is always willing to take a progressive attitude on any issue that is dead" Teddy Roosevelt

"The beginning of wisdom is the definition of terms" Socrates
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Posts : 8034
Join date : 2013-12-13
Age : 34
Location : Lan Na

Back to top Go down

Scientists say homosexuality is "30-40 percent genetic" in men - Page 2 Empty Re: Scientists say homosexuality is "30-40 percent genetic" in men

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:26 am

Eilzel wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

wow what a very specific report but to hear gays they all complain of anti gay abuse, so it does apply to them all... :D 

Tbh HF such polls are bollocks imo; but you seemed pretty confident in the one you saw- perhaps because you liked the implications? May your God forgive your wicked thoughts...

I don't complain of abuse to me personally, because I haven't had any, I will complain for others though. Is there any subject out of interest you actually do know anything about- aside from biscuit dunking that is  Laughing 

wicked thoughts..lol are you for real... :D 

i'm showing you facts about the health risks of being gay, i never made the facts, i never made the effects..


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Scientists say homosexuality is "30-40 percent genetic" in men - Page 2 Empty Re: Scientists say homosexuality is "30-40 percent genetic" in men

Post by Eilzel on Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:36 am

heavenly father wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

Tbh HF such polls are bollocks imo; but you seemed pretty confident in the one you saw- perhaps because you liked the implications? May your God forgive your wicked thoughts...

I don't complain of abuse to me personally, because I haven't had any, I will complain for others though. Is there any subject out of interest you actually do know anything about- aside from biscuit dunking that is  Laughing 

wicked thoughts..lol are you for real... :D 

i'm showing you facts about the health risks of being gay, i never made the facts, i never made the effects..


Taking joy in people dying young is wicked is it not?

There are no health risks of being gay- you haven't showed a shred of evidence of that.

Of course there are risks with being promiscuous- but I am not; nor are other gay men I know- this is where you typically fail in your understanding.
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Posts : 8034
Join date : 2013-12-13
Age : 34
Location : Lan Na

Back to top Go down

Scientists say homosexuality is "30-40 percent genetic" in men - Page 2 Empty Re: Scientists say homosexuality is "30-40 percent genetic" in men

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:38 am

Eilzel wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

wicked thoughts..lol are you for real... :D 

i'm showing you facts about the health risks of being gay, i never made the facts, i never made the effects..


Taking joy in people dying young is wicked is it not?

There are no health risks of being gay- you haven't showed a shred of evidence of that.

Of course there are risks with being promiscuous- but I am not; nor are other gay men I know- this is where you typically fail in your understanding.

who's taking joy in it, i am not, i wold rather gays heed the risks and stop chosing to be gay...

again the reports, studies, data disagree with you..

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Scientists say homosexuality is "30-40 percent genetic" in men - Page 2 Empty Re: Scientists say homosexuality is "30-40 percent genetic" in men

Post by Eilzel on Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:42 am

heavenly father wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

Taking joy in people dying young is wicked is it not?

There are no health risks of being gay- you haven't showed a shred of evidence of that.

Of course there are risks with being promiscuous- but I am not; nor are other gay men I know- this is where you typically fail in your understanding.

who's taking joy in it, i am not, i wold rather gays heed the risks and stop chosing to be gay...

again the reports, studies, data disagree with you..

Reports, studies and data- that has increased three fold haha.

Studies also show gay men are more likely to have better jobs- do you think that study is right?

You haven't actually explained why being gay, in itself (minus promiscuity) leads to lower life expectancy- come on then you've 'read' the studies...
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Posts : 8034
Join date : 2013-12-13
Age : 34
Location : Lan Na

Back to top Go down

Scientists say homosexuality is "30-40 percent genetic" in men - Page 2 Empty Re: Scientists say homosexuality is "30-40 percent genetic" in men

Post by Guest on Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:45 am

Eilzel wrote:
heavenly father wrote:

who's taking joy in it, i am not, i wold rather gays heed the risks and stop chosing to be gay...

again the reports, studies, data disagree with you..

Reports, studies and data- that has increased three fold haha.

Studies also show gay men are more likely to have better jobs- do you think that study is right?

You haven't actually explained why being gay, in itself (minus promiscuity) leads to lower life expectancy- come on then you've 'read' the studies...

it depends how many arses they have to kiss to get the job i guess...

general health risks from their habits would be my guess but you cannot rule out promiscuity as it has been shown gay men are more promiscuous then normal men.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Scientists say homosexuality is "30-40 percent genetic" in men - Page 2 Empty Re: Scientists say homosexuality is "30-40 percent genetic" in men

Post by Eilzel on Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:46 am

heavenly father wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

Reports, studies and data- that has increased three fold haha.

Studies also show gay men are more likely to have better jobs- do you think that study is right?

You haven't actually explained why being gay, in itself (minus promiscuity) leads to lower life expectancy- come on then you've 'read' the studies...

it depends how many arses they have to kiss to get the job i guess...

general health risks from their habits would be my guess but you cannot rule out promiscuity as it has been shown gay men are more promiscuous then normal men.

Some gay men. Not all. You are too thick to carry on with now tbh...
Eilzel
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Posts : 8034
Join date : 2013-12-13
Age : 34
Location : Lan Na

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum