A new law banning under 13s from social media has been proposed by health secretary Matt Hancock

Go down

A new law banning under 13s from social media has been proposed by health secretary Matt Hancock

Post by Guest on Thu Oct 25, 2018 8:49 pm

A new law banning under 13s from social media has been proposed by health secretary Matt Hancock.

He said Facebook, What's App and other social media giants should be legally required to stop under-aged children joining their sites. He accused the companies of doing “absolutely nothing” to stop under 13s getting onto sites like Facebook or under 16s using What’s App.

Asked if there should be a minimum and enforced legal age requirement in an interview in Parliament’s House magazine, he said: “Yes, yes there should. Absolutely.”

Ofcom estimates a quarter of eight to 11 year olds have social media accounts, often gaining access by lying about their age.

But Mr Hancock said: "The terms and conditions of the main social media sites are that you shouldn’t use it under the age of 13, but the companies do absolutely nothing to enforce against that. And they should, I think that should be a requirement.”

“You shouldn’t be on WhatsApp, according to their own terms and conditions, before you’re 16.

“And yet, the pressures that people feel under when they’re on a WhatsApp group to respond, to wake up in the middle of the night to get back to messages – this is teenagers or young kids who aren’t even teenagers yet.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/10/25/new-law-banning-13s-social-media-has-proposed-health-secretary/

Back to top Go down

Re: A new law banning under 13s from social media has been proposed by health secretary Matt Hancock

Post by nicko on Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:17 am

I agree !
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A new law banning under 13s from social media has been proposed by health secretary Matt Hancock

Post by Original Quill on Fri Oct 26, 2018 5:33 pm

It's a Brit problem. That law would never pass in the US, as it would ipso facto be a violation of the First Amendment, freedom of speech clause of the Constitution.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars

Someone is above the rule of law in America.
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Foul on Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:24 pm

better idea would be to ban "smart" devices for under 16's except under direct parental supervision

only allow phone and text.(SMS only not MMS)

there can be no conceivable need for an under 16 to need a smart device AT ALL.....and clearly they cannot be trusted to use them sensibly.

There are those who's opinion I value, there are those who's opinion I neither value or scorn, and then there are those who's opinion I just ignore as insignificant...I can assure you the latter outnumber the first two combined by a whole order of magnitude

[b].(It's hard to remember that the task is to drain the swamp, when you are up to your arse in alligators)
Lord Foul
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:11 am

the problem is it very hard to enforce.

what sort of works is a law preventing companies have 'profile data' on under 13s (or whatever age)
thus putting more onus on them to not just allow kids to put in a different date of birth
they already counter reference everything, so there is no way they don't know there is conflicting date of birth data

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk on Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:59 pm

I agree with LF.

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
Tommy Monk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down