Do you actually like people?

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Do you actually like people?

Post by Syl on Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:21 pm

First topic message reminder :

I ask because it seems more and more, people dont seem to 'like' others.

Driving in a car its very noticeable, walking down the street, people have no patience to wait if an older person is slow, in shops, assistants or customers often do the transaction in stony silence, when a smile or a pleasant word used to be the norm.
So many people are glued to their phones it's as if they dont even see other people, never mind treat them with any sort of courtesy.
People are far more rude nowadays, what happened to please and thank you?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Do you actually like people?

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:51 am

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:

Mine too, and can you imagine the trauma if you needed the loo. Embarassed

Yet, we all live in cities (except wolf).  Guess we need the company.

Smile

Not quite, in my current situation...

Veya actually lives in a smaller town than what I do, and even further out from the city (in his case, Canberra will be his closest actual 'metropolis'..).

Like with what Vintage and Sly describe above, I'm also currently living out on the fringes, and also am able to overlook horse paddocks (and bushland) when I look out the kitchen window.

I'm about 2 hours drive North of Sydney, and about 30 minutes out from the Newcastle City centre..
However, with ever-approaching suburban development (and the impending loss of nearby bushland -- with a lot of potential apiary sites have been 'built out' over time..),  I can see myself being "pushed" to move even further out away from the city sprawl in the next few years --  both the Mid-North Coast and South Coast hinterland regions of NSW have been looking more and more appealing over the past decade, simply to return to some semblance of sanity...

Henry David Thoreau
WhoseYourWolfie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:55 am

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:21 am

veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:29 am

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:
Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:

Mine too, and can you imagine the trauma if you needed the loo. Embarassed

Yet, we all live in cities (except wolf).  Guess we need the company.

Smile

Not quite, in my current situation...

Veya actually lives in a smaller town than what I do, and even further out from the city (in his case, Canberra will be his closest actual 'metropolis'..).

Like with what Vintage and Sly describe above, I'm also currently living out on the fringes, and also am able to overlook horse paddocks (and bushland) when I look out the kitchen window.

I'm about 2 hours drive North of Sydney, and about 30 minutes out from the Newcastle City centre..
However, with ever-approaching suburban development (and the impending loss of nearby bushland -- with a lot of potential apiary sites have been 'built out' over time..),  I can see myself being "pushed" to move even further out away from the city sprawl in the next few years --  both the Mid-North Coast and South Coast hinterland regions of NSW have been looking more and more appealing over the past decade, simply to return to some semblance of sanity...

I'm about 3 hours south of Sydney city (250km) and about an hour (70km) east of Canberra.

This is the view out the front door, I was actually taking a photo of the wild deer in my paddock

they normally wait till it's getting dark so it's hard to get a decent photo with a phone camera.

veya_victaous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:43 pm

Is your TV knackered ? I notice your Ariel is not used !
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:06 pm

Veya, is it near Wagga Wagga? I always wanted to live near the tail of Wagga Wagga. Razz

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk on Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:10 pm

veya_victaous wrote:

What are you doing with your other hand...?

Laughing

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
Tommy Monk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:39 am

nicko wrote:Is your TV knackered ?   I notice your Ariel is not used !

Actually, I installed a bigger/better one so I could get Canberra Channels   Wink

@Quill 
Closer but still almost 300km drive 

I have Cousins from Wagga, stayed there a few times on holidays as kids. 
Wagga (the whole Riverina region) is Very flat, I prefer the Rolling Hills

veya_victaous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:52 am

Ah...so you're across Lake George...how far from Lake Bathurst?

Australia is so fascinating...and huge.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:38 am

Original Quill wrote:Ah...so you're across Lake George...how far from Lake Bathurst?

Australia is so fascinating...and huge.

Tarago is the south west corner of Lake Bathurst (if it had water, but the fullest it's been in 3 years is like 15%)  less than 3 km from my place.  

there is a town call Lake Bathurst too (about 6 km north and is the north west corner) but it only has about 80 people

veya_victaous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Thu Oct 11, 2018 6:41 am

veya_victaous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:57 am

Is that a very young Scarlett Johansson?

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:32 pm

She has very distinctive, and expressive lips. I really like her, especially in the noir stuff.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:36 pm

Yes, she is very natural and beautiful...and a good actress in everything I have seen her in.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jules on Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:08 am

Syl wrote:I ask because it seems more and more, people dont seem to 'like' others.

Driving in a car its very noticeable, walking down the street, people have no patience to wait if an older person is slow, in shops, assistants or customers often do the transaction in stony silence, when a smile or a pleasant word used to be the norm.
So many people are glued to their phones it's as if they dont even see other people, never mind treat them with any sort of courtesy.

I don't just like people, I LOVE people.
Yes poor manners and outright rudeness prevail in today's climate - I blame this mostly on the reality show culture, which encourages this. And even celebrates it sometimes.

1. Reality Shows boost their ratings by actively encouraging conflict between contestants. They bring together people whose views on politics, religion etc are very different from each other's. The fame & notoriety garnered from their fights usually sets them up for life. Impressionable youngsters at home copy the rude manners and fighting and it becomes the norm for them.

2. The current austerity climate is also to blame. Times are hard for many families as robots are taking over manual tasks  in most industries leaving humans redundant - in more ways than one.

3. Stay-at-homes mums earn nothing. The incentive to rush back to work asap, and leave the upbringing of their children to paid helpers , is huge.

I feel these 3 reasons are the main ones why society is so ill-mannered today. No

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:20 am

Plus the fact that the cane or slipper is redundant !
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:03 pm

Jules wrote:
Syl wrote:I ask because it seems more and more, people dont seem to 'like' others.

I don't just like people, I LOVE people.
Yes poor manners and outright rudeness prevail in today's climate - I blame this mostly on the reality show culture, which encourages this. And even celebrates it sometimes.

1. Reality Shows boost their ratings by actively encouraging conflict between contestants. They bring together people whose views on politics, religion etc are very different from each other's. The fame & notoriety garnered from their fights usually sets them up for life. Impressionable youngsters at home copy the rude manners and fighting and it becomes the norm for them.

2. The current austerity climate is also to blame. Times are hard for many families as robots are taking over manual tasks  in most industries leaving humans redundant - in more ways than one.

3. Stay-at-homes mums earn nothing. The incentive to rush back to work asap, and leave the upbringing of their children to paid helpers , is huge.

I feel these 3 reasons are the main ones why society is so ill-mannered today. No

I agree about reality shows, where people are told to be as controversial as possible to draw in viewing figures....strife and sex sell, even if it's all orchestrated.

Not sure about the austerity climate ....go back to the first half of the last century when people were really poor, yet a sense of community was far stronger than it is today. Granted a couple of world wars is a great way to get people to pull together and help their neighbour.

I was a stay at home mum, I earned not a penny for 12 years, my OH worked for the money I did the caring bit at home. The problem is now people are not content to concentrate on family life, they think they are missing out and I think that breeds a sense of resentment...and obviously neglect.

You make good points though.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jules on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:38 pm

Thank you, Syl.

So cynical the way reality show organisers light the blue torch paper, then sit back and watch the fighting, while purring contentedly. They have so many clever ways to create conflict - including plying contestants with lots of alcohol, depriving them of food (hunger being a highly potent tool), and they even reveal what contestants have been saying behind each others' backs! Lethal combo !!

The austerity climate defo matters. Being made redundant, or suddenly having the state pension delayed by several more years has soured a lot of people. Let alone the looted pension pots!! Evil or Very Mad

As for stay at home mums, it is frequently NOT an option to stay at home and look after the little ones,  that was my point. One income is barely enough to pay house rents/mortgages in  south eastern UK.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jules on Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:50 pm

nicko wrote:Plus the fact that the cane or slipper is redundant !

The culture of yakking really loudly into phones in public spaces has destroyed manners too.
So called British stiff upper lip has gone, for good.
And some of the things people discuss haute-voix on their smartphones are very personal indeed!  Embarassed

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by magica on Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:12 pm

I like people. I like to chat, have a laugh with friends and family, and I do this all the time even with people I don't know. I think a smile or a chat might be the only one they get that day, so it doesn't hurt to be nice.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2