Are You A Good Dancer?

Go down

Are You A Good Dancer? Empty Are You A Good Dancer?

Post by Jules on Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:25 am

Well our Theresa has got the moves.

She nails it, no contest - so eat yer heart out, peeps!! snobby 

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Are You A Good Dancer? Empty Re: Are You A Good Dancer?

Post by Jules on Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:59 am

That sister can sure bust some moves!  Are You A Good Dancer? Michael-jackson
Are You A Good Dancer? 95851

Does anyone here still do the formal ballroom type dancing?
Or maybe some hot Latin American stuff? - great exercise!

-------------------------------------------------------
While we're on the subject do any Americans here know what the dance moves from 2:40 to 2:55 in this clip are? They're great!!

Can you put a name to it? Bluegrass??? scratch

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage on Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:24 am

Heck, no. I'd make Theresa look like one of Fred Astaire's illustrious partners, who I can't name.

Vintage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:21 am

Yes, I am.  First learned ballroom dancing when I was a kid, at Mrs. Grady's class.  My mother made me attend, but I found I liked it.  Learned the basic box step, fundamental to all dancing.  And, she was really good at teaching the waltz, and 3/4 time dances.

Learned all the rock dances as a teen, and through my twenties.  I learned flamenco when I lived in Seville, Spain (really hard, and exhausting, but helped create some fun rock moves).   I picked up Texas Swing and other cowboy dances when I lived in Arizona.

Wish I could still do it all.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:44 am

Vintage, Ginger Rogers ?
nicko
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Wed Sep 26, 2018 9:03 am

Original Quill wrote:Yes, I am.  First learned ballroom dancing when I was a kid, at Mrs. Grady's class.  My mother made me attend, but I found I liked it.  Learned the basic box step, fundamental to all dancing.  And, she was really good at teaching the waltz, and 3/4 time dances.

Learned all the rock dances as a teen, and through my twenties.  I learned flamenco when I lived in Seville, Spain (really hard, and exhausting, but helped create some fun rock moves).   I picked up Texas Swing and other cowboy dances when I lived in Arizona.

Wish I could still do it all.

Why cant you still do it now Quill? you are still relatively young.

In answer to the OP, yes I can dance in a fashion...and I love dancing.
Sadly I never learned any of the popular ballroom or latin American dances, a friend and I joined up for salsa classes a couple of years ago, but a catalogue of events out of our hands made sure we never actually started them.....I love watching pro's do those dances though, they are so freeing.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:06 am

Cool

I don't sing; and I don't dance...

I can still appreciate it when others do it well, though..

Henry David Thoreau
WhoseYourWolfie
WhoseYourWolfie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage on Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:31 am

Thanks Nicko.
I used to love watching 'Come Dancing' from the Tower Ballroom, Blackpool much better than Strictly.
We did a bit of dancing in school instead of gym sometimes, the tarantella and some minuet type dancing which went out of fashion in the 1890's, very useful. I did the twist when I was about 10 and attempted to keep up with all the dances of my youth. My feet don't seem to be connected properly to my brain, so barely do what I want at any time let alone dancing.
How could I have forgotten the basic shuhplatter.

Vintage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers on Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:36 am

I was once persuaded, much against not only my natural inclination, tendency and physical ability but also against any semblance of reason, to participate in a West African Mandinka tribal dance.

All I can say is that this was in the days long ago, when telephones did not double up as video cameras and were simply things in kiosks that smelled of urine and were adorned with advertisements of the services of "Gertude, 42-28-38"...which, thank God, meant that my terpsichorean activities never appeared on U-tube!
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:09 pm

I’m a great mover. Hell yeah. afro

eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jules on Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:13 pm

eddie wrote:I’m a great mover. Hell yeah. afro
Good for ya, E! 
I can throw a few mean shapes round a room myself, on a good day.   Are You A Good Dancer? 2696538800

Nowt beats a good dancing session. And it's great when the endorphins kick in afterwards too.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jules on Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:39 pm

Fred Moletrousers wrote:I was once persuaded, much against not only my natural inclination, tendency and physical ability but also against any semblance of reason, to participate in a West African Mandinka tribal dance.

All I can say is that this was in the days long ago, when  telephones did not double up as video cameras and were simply  things in kiosks that smelled of urine and were adorned with advertisements of the services of "Gertude, 42-28-38"...which, thank God, meant that my terpsichorean activities never appeared on U-tube!

Ahahaha it's the way you tell 'em!  Are You A Good Dancer? 3489511464  
Mandinka tribe - wow!! LM you are free to dance as you wish.  Laughing  

But heads  of state like Theresa [and that old soak Boris Yeltsin too, remember his hilarious dancing?] should rein it in a bit - and try not to  look like lobotomised gibbons on acid !  
Are You A Good Dancer? Dancing-stickman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jules on Wed Sep 26, 2018 3:51 pm

When my kid was a tiny baby he'd often cry when he got bored. I'd strap him in his highchair and entertain him by dancing in front of him in the kitchen. [In between cooking meals. Yep, multitasking mum!]

Thank heavens my moves were not recorded on family vids - cos if he saw them now,  he'd say " Bloody hell, I didn't realise mum suffered from epilepsy, do I have to declare that in CV's where they ask about familial genetic diseases?"  Are You A Good Dancer? 3489511464
Are You A Good Dancer? Funny-dancing-stickman-smiley-emoticon.  

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:47 pm

I can dance, My Brother is a Ballroom Dance teacher so I have been taught waltz and various partner dances and have done a few 'retro' ballroom dance nights (there is always a shortage of Male Ballroom dancers) 

I also do/did Fire/LED twirling (Staff and Poi) which sort merges with more modern EDM Dancing.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:19 pm

Syl wrote:Why cant you still do it now Quill? you are still relatively young.

Drs. discovered an aortic stenosis, essentially a hole in my heart. It's effect is to leave me out of breath with any exertion, as my heart can't pump enough oxygen to keep up.

Dances like flamenco, Tango and Texas Swing are high cardio-aerobic exercises. But I still do a sexy foxtrot. Wink

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:52 am

veya_victaous wrote:I can dance, My Brother is a Ballroom Dance teacher so I have been taught waltz and various partner dances and have done a few 'retro' ballroom dance nights (there is always a shortage of Male Ballroom dancers) 

I also do/did Fire/LED twirling (Staff and Poi) which sort merges with more modern EDM Dancing.

I have never been held by a good ballroom dancer. My mum who used to dance a lot when she was young said when a man who could really dance well got her up to dance (I am talking of the old fashioned dances where ladies waited to be asked to dance) it felt like she was floating round the dancefloor.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:54 am

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:Why cant you still do it now Quill? you are still relatively young.

Drs. discovered an aortic stenosis, essentially a hole in my heart.  It's effect is to leave me out of breath with any exertion, as my heart can't pump enough oxygen to keep up.

Dances like flamenco, Tango and Texas Swing are high cardio-aerobic exercises.  But I still do a sexy foxtrot.  Wink

I bet that is a sight to behold. Laughing I would have thought a foxtrot...especially a sexy one, would be one of the more energetic dances Quill.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:11 pm

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

But I still do a sexy foxtrot.  Wink

I bet that is a sight to behold. Laughing I would have thought a foxtrot...especially a sexy one, would be one of the more energetic dances Quill.

Not energetic at all. It's all smooth and fluid, nothing abrupt. You must glide.

Normal is broken.

Original Quill
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:52 pm

I prefer a good "rock@roll", can't do it now of course but when I was young, and "Johnny be Good" --Chuck Berry--was playing, I was out of my seat like a shot and on to the floor !
nicko
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:28 am

Chuck Berry would get the Mexican beans going in anyone's pocket.

Normal is broken.

Original Quill
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by magica on Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:35 am

I loved dancing, especially rock and roll, cant now though.

Dancing makes you feel so good.
magica
magica

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage on Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:24 pm

Our local disco that my friends and I frequented had a rock and roll night, it was a great experience to see people dressed in their rock and roll best dancing to all the great music of their time. It had the usual disco as well. Its not a time or music I like much but I did enjoy watching those people dance and enjoy their music. That said I did enjoy helping my older sister 'sugar' her petticoats to go dancing.

Vintage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage on Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:24 pm

Our local disco that my friends and I frequented had a rock and roll night, it was a great experience to see people dressed in their rock and roll best dancing to all the great music of their time. It had the usual disco as well. Its not a time or music I like much but I did enjoy watching those people dance and enjoy their music. That said I did enjoy helping my older sister 'sugar' her petticoats to go dancing.

Vintage

View user profile

Back to top Go down