Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Go down

Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by Syl on Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:20 pm

How have we let our kids down so badly?
Could the breakdown in family, the internet, and the obsession with how girls should look, which is rammed down their throats daily have anything to do with it I wonder?

"Nearly a quarter of 14-year-old girls self-harm, according to a charity.
The Children's Society is calling for more to be done to support the mental health of teenagers. More than 11,000 children took part in the charity's annual Good Childhood Report, which showed that 22% of girls said they had self-harmed in the last year and overall one in six (16%) reported self-harming at that age.
The incidence among boys was lower than girls at 9%."



https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/nearly-a-quarter-of-girls-aged-14-self-harm/ar-BBMAk1p?ocid=spartanntp

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 16867
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by Original Quill on Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:40 pm

Guilt (or shame) is one thing that we use in our society to groom kids. Because boys are more physical in expressing themselves, it weighs more heavily on girls.

Girls are not physical, and so must rely on attracting others to themselves by conforming to strict standards. This leads to emphasizing self-criticism, and on to self-expression, including anger at not achieving. I believe that anger leads to self-harming.

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars

Someone is above the rule of law in America.
avatar
Original Quill

Posts : 25556
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 53
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by Syl on Wed Aug 29, 2018 5:50 pm

Original Quill wrote:Guilt (or shame) is one thing that we use in our society to groom kids.  Because boys are more physical in expressing themselves, it weighs more heavily on girls.

Girls are not physical, and so must rely on attracting others to themselves by conforming to strict standards.  This leads to emphasizing self-criticism, and on to self-expression, including anger at not achieving.  I believe that anger leads to self-harming.

Thats interesting Quill, but why do you think the rise in self harming is so high?
I never knew of any girls when I was growing up who self harmed....apart from cutting, anorexia and bulimia were almost unherad of. It wasnt just that it was hidden, having a wide circle of female friends it would have become obvious, and there was simply none of it about....so why now do a quarter of young teenage girls feel the need to self harm?

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 16867
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by Original Quill on Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:01 pm

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:Guilt (or shame) is one thing that we use in our society to groom kids.  Because boys are more physical in expressing themselves, it weighs more heavily on girls.

Girls are not physical, and so must rely on attracting others to themselves by conforming to strict standards.  This leads to emphasizing self-criticism, and on to self-expression, including anger at not achieving.  I believe that anger leads to self-harming.

Thats interesting Quill, but why do you think the rise in self harming is so high?
I never knew of any girls when I was growing up who self harmed....apart from cutting, anorexia and bulimia were almost unherad of. It wasnt just that it was hidden, having a wide circle of female friends it would have become obvious, and there was simply none of it about....so why now do a quarter of young teenage girls feel the need to self harm?

Because the girls can never get away from the criticism. It used to be only during school hours that the pressure was on. Now, with the Internet, it's endless.

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars

Someone is above the rule of law in America.
avatar
Original Quill

Posts : 25556
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 53
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by Syl on Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:06 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:

Thats interesting Quill, but why do you think the rise in self harming is so high?
I never knew of any girls when I was growing up who self harmed....apart from cutting, anorexia and bulimia were almost unherad of. It wasnt just that it was hidden, having a wide circle of female friends it would have become obvious, and there was simply none of it about....so why now do a quarter of young teenage girls feel the need to self harm?

Because the girls can never get away from the criticism.  It used to be only during school hours that the pressure was on.  Now, with the Internet, it's endless.

I think thats a really good point Quill. x

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 16867
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 29, 2018 6:23 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:

Thats interesting Quill, but why do you think the rise in self harming is so high?
I never knew of any girls when I was growing up who self harmed....apart from cutting, anorexia and bulimia were almost unherad of. It wasnt just that it was hidden, having a wide circle of female friends it would have become obvious, and there was simply none of it about....so why now do a quarter of young teenage girls feel the need to self harm?

Because the girls can never get away from the criticism.  It used to be only during school hours that the pressure was on.  Now, with the Internet, it's endless.

That is just one of numerous factors that can lead to self harm

Is that the main reason for the rise?

Not by a long shot

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by Syl on Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:01 pm

Didge wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Because the girls can never get away from the criticism.  It used to be only during school hours that the pressure was on.  Now, with the Internet, it's endless.

That is just one of numerous factors that can lead to self harm

Is that the main reason for the rise?

Not by a long shot

Maybe the breakdown in families, where so many kids grow up without a constant father figure could also be a factor.

I do agree with Quill that social media, and the ever growing idea that physical perfection is top goal is a huge factor.

Why do you think so many females photoshop their pics? they want to appear perfect to others....but obviously they are not.

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 16867
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:09 pm

Syl wrote:
Didge wrote:

That is just one of numerous factors that can lead to self harm

Is that the main reason for the rise?

Not by a long shot

Maybe the breakdown in families, where so many kids grow up without a constant father figure could also be a factor.

I do agree with Quill that social media, and the ever growing idea that physical perfection is top goal is a huge factor.

Why do you think so many females photoshop their pics? they want to appear perfect to others....but obviously they are not.

Most likely one of the biggest causes in the rise is with the breakdown in families. Though its just one of many causes

I thought his view was on criticism???? Which does effect

So the view on peer pressure is correct with social media, media and adertizment with models, celebrities etc. Girls can have positive compliments, but believe they still do not look good enough. There is an underlining issue here and they need all the support they can get

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by Syl on Wed Aug 29, 2018 7:21 pm

There isnt much support sadly, not according to mothers of young teens who are self harming.
One mother was speaking out, in the London area it has taken over 9 months for her girl to get an appointment to see a therapist. In that time she has been rushed to A&E twice with deep cuts, the last one to her neck....yet still she is waiting to be assessed and hopefully helped.

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 16867
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by Original Quill on Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:05 pm

It’s interesting, although the OP article speaks of “the rise in self-harm”, it never gives figures, or even a description of the longitudinal view:

BBC News wrote:More than 11,000 children took part in the charity's annual Good Childhood Report, which showed that 22% of girls said they had self-harmed in the last year and overall one in six (16%) reported self-harming at that age…
*  *  *
Based on these figures, The Children's Society estimates that nearly 110,000 children aged 14 may have self-harmed across the UK during the same 12-month period, including 76,000 girls and 33,000 boys.

Apparently it’s a one-time survey over "a 12-month period". No data are given about 5-years ago, or 20-years ago.  Has there been a rise in 16-year old's who self-harm?  It could well be that it’s a rise in our awareness, not in the actual phenomenon.

Of course it’s still a problem, but it’s hard to ask “what is the cause of any change” when we can’t even establish a change.

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars

Someone is above the rule of law in America.
avatar
Original Quill

Posts : 25556
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 53
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by Vintage on Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:42 pm

As Syl says. I didn't know anyone who self harmed, had bulimia or anorexia, unless they kept it well hidden. There was plenty of pressure on girls, there were people we aspired to be like, although most of us realised that was impossible, Twiggy, Jean Shrimpton etc, there was a 'look' to obtain, at least as near as you could get on the cheap usually, BIBA was way out of most girls pockets, you just went and looked around in awe and picked up ideas. Girls magazines were full of fashions and makeup, agony aunt columns, and wishful thinking yet it was back to earth for school in the morning or work.
The pressure was there if you were getting a higher education to do well and not waste your opportunities, if you worked you were expected to get on with it, whatever it was. I knew many girls who spent long hours in factories to get some money to enjoy some new clothes and a trip to the disco as reward.
Is it that the sense of achievement and success was broader, if you didn't do well academically the next thing was maybe a family and the best home you could afford for them and being a success in raising your family. The only difference I can see is that good jobs can't be attained by working your way up from the bottom anymore, its all about uni now, if you don't happen to be that able it must be a strain and if you don't make it at all you must feel a failure. For instance you can't join the police without uni qualifications anymore, there were always people who were ordinary coppers throughout their career, now its all about obtaining promotion, if you don't there's something wrong with you. People are not valued for what they are capable of now, however humble that may be but are constantly pushed to do more than perhaps their abilities allow.
I don't know that could be all rubbish, its just seeing my friends and contempories of all education standards settling into their lives over the years and seeing people now having to achieve all the time, mainly because the jobs market has changed so much fom practical to technical and beyond.
It probably is rubbish - apologies.

Vintage

Posts : 1249
Join date : 2013-08-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by Syl on Thu Aug 30, 2018 12:22 am

It's not rubbish at all Vintage, you describe life as it was then very well.
I dont think many girls and young women did self harm back then, it's not something that can be hidden from friends.
For a start life was simpler, there was no opportunity to grab your 5 minutes of fame via reality shows, youtube or social media, few people chased fame, and the few that did find it, like the models you mentioned,  were admired in a more innocent way imo.

Life has always been hard in some ways for youngsters, but now innocence seems to have gone at a far younger age, maybe kids have grownup pressures before they are able to cope with them,  and stress shows by letting it out via self harm.
Hearing people talk about this, it seems to be one way a young girl can feel in control, and the physical pain or the purging releases some of the mental pressures these girls are suffering from.
Confusion about gender has also been given as a cause in self harming, maybe adults pass their own insecurities down on their kids.....because this seems to be something in the news regularly only recently....once a seed is planted it can grow in young vulnerable minds.
And surely the rise in childhood depression has to be linked to self harming a few years later.

Im sure there are many different factors in why so many young girls are self harming, but the problem has to start somewhere.

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 16867
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by Raggamuffin on Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:34 am

People self harm because they think physical pain is more tolerable than mental pain. They can think about the cut on their arm rather than think about their problems.

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 31268
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by magica on Sat Sep 01, 2018 10:24 am

Raggamuffin wrote:People self harm because they think physical pain is more tolerable than mental pain. They can think about the cut on their arm rather than think about their problems.

I agree totally Rags. Have a greeny Smile
avatar
magica

Posts : 3001
Join date : 2016-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by Syl on Sat Sep 01, 2018 11:00 am

Raggamuffin wrote:People self harm because they think physical pain is more tolerable than mental pain. They can think about the cut on their arm rather than think about their problems.

I agree totally, thats what many self harmers who cut say themselves.
I think anorexia and bulimia are different though, the problems are always deep rooted, but many people with eating disorders start off because they are worrying about their weight and how they look to the outside world.
I think young girls are put under so much pressure to appear perfect.

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 16867
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by nicko on Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:35 pm

"A quarter of young Girls" How would they know that , have they asked all of them ? That must run into tens of thousands, and what ages do they cover ?
avatar
nicko

Posts : 10270
Join date : 2013-12-07
Age : 77
Location : rainbow bridge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:17 pm

nicko wrote:
 "A quarter of young Girls"     How would they know that , have they asked all of them ?   That must run into tens of thousands, and what ages do they cover ?

Smile

Statistically, the story doesn't support the author's conclusions...

One small, and somewhat restrictive, survey should not be used to extrapolate spurious conclusions for the whole of the UK, as the single survey in the O/P attempts to do..

That's probably why you have suspicions over some of the author's claims, nicko (as do I..).

I reckon the author(s) of the report were lazy in their conclusions, with inadequate knowledge of proper statistical methodology --  probably bringing their own agendas and "foregone conclusions" to the table, and looking for a survey to fit them ?

Further surveys across a wider demographic and over a couple of years should be done to see if the initial results are being consistently replicated..

_________________
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Our life is frittered away by details. Simplify, simplify.
The mass of men lead lives of quite desperation.
Henry David Thoreau
avatar
WhoseYourWolfie

Posts : 6304
Join date : 2016-02-24
Age : 60
Location : Lake Macquarie, NSW, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by Guest on Sat Sep 01, 2018 3:42 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:
nicko wrote:
 "A quarter of young Girls"     How would they know that , have they asked all of them ?   That must run into tens of thousands, and what ages do they cover ?

Smile

Statistically, the story doesn't support the author's conclusions...

One small, and somewhat restrictive, survey should not be used to extrapolate spurious conclusions for the whole of the UK, as the single survey in the O/P attempts to do..

That's probably why you have suspicions over some of the author's claims, nicko (as do I..).

I reckon the author(s) of the report were lazy in their conclusions, with inadequate knowledge of proper statistical methodology --  probably bringing their own agendas and "foregone conclusions" to the table, and looking for a survey to fit them ?

Further surveys across a wider demographic and over a couple of years should be done to see if the initial results are being consistently replicated..


Actually its you Wolf coming out with spurious statements here not backed by any evidence

As have you presented any other studies to counter ther claims here?

No

Studies are based on a random selection of people to garner a sense of how many do and its based on well thought out mathematical analysis

So you are just throwing in bullshit here

20% is a high number which can be backed up with medical records also. All this study said is that within 11,000 14 year old girls 22% harmed themselves.

How many 14 year old girls in the uk you think there is?

I will tell you, about 500,000, so how on satans butt, is that a poor study?

https://www.nhs.uk/news/mental-health/nearly-quarter-14-year-old-girls-uk-self-harming-charity-reports/

This study has being ongoing for 13 years and thus it may help that you read the study before making a tit of yourself

That is staggering from a random amount of girls and should not be brushed off as poorly as you are doing. It falls into the same poor category of Ben trying to shut down the rise in numbers of people claiming gender dysphoria being looked into.

What this shows and plenty of other studies back the rise is that this needs further study and more attention to the fact there is clearly a rise in numbers. Where more help is needed for both boys and girls on this

Now if you disagree with me, then please place up other studies to counter this, but a view to simple dismiss this based on numbers, shows you have not got a clue what you are talking about

So the only person being lazy here is you, as you have not even read the study

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:05 pm

Razz

Fuck off, Didge...

Just face the facts -- nicko and Quill are both on the right track with their comments above;

You prove that you know fuck-all about statistical analysis, biometry, and rational thinking;

and -- 20% doesn't equal "one quarter".

You should give up while you're behind, rather than digging yourself in deeper..

_________________
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Our life is frittered away by details. Simplify, simplify.
The mass of men lead lives of quite desperation.
Henry David Thoreau
avatar
WhoseYourWolfie

Posts : 6304
Join date : 2016-02-24
Age : 60
Location : Lake Macquarie, NSW, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by Original Quill on Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:23 pm

Didge wrote:Actually its you Wolf coming out with spurious statements here not backed by any evidence

As have you presented any other studies to counter ther claims here?

No

Didge, you haven't even processed what Wolf is saying.  Wolf is criticizing the methodology.  What evidence do you need when the point is not an evidentiary one.
It has to do with the logic of quantitative analysis?

You have collected a roomful of quips and buzz words--spurious? evidence?--that you bring out at times like this. They make no sense at all. If you want to impress us, start mentally processing, not regurgitating from memory.

Other studies?  Wolf is not making a comparative statement.  He's criticizing the one study, on the standards of quantitative analysis.

If you want to gain respect in these matters, do some study yourself.

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars

Someone is above the rule of law in America.
avatar
Original Quill

Posts : 25556
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 53
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by Original Quill on Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:32 pm

Oh, and um...stop lying.  You say the "study has being ongoing for 13 years..."  The study duration was over a 12-month period:

BBC News wrote:Based on these figures, The Children's Society estimates that nearly 110,000 children aged 14 may have self-harmed across the UK during the same 12-month period, including 76,000 girls and 33,000 boys.

You might try reading yourself. You go to a completely different article to make an erroneous conclusion. You cite NHS, not BBC, to note the study has been repeatedly performed over a number of years.

To say the study has been repeated for years, is not to say it is continuous over those years. The study 'duration' is a different matter. The study duration is a data set of it's own, and cannot be mingled with another data set. You can't summarize summary statistics.


Last edited by Original Quill on Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars

Someone is above the rule of law in America.
avatar
Original Quill

Posts : 25556
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 53
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by Guest on Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:34 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Didge wrote:Actually its you Wolf coming out with spurious statements here not backed by any evidence

As have you presented any other studies to counter ther claims here?

No

Didge, you haven't even processed what Wolf is saying.  Wolf is criticizing the methodology.  What evidence do you need when the point is not an evidentiary one.
It has to do with the logic of quantitative analysis?

You have collected a roomful of quips and buzz words--spurious? evidence?--that you bring out at times like this.  They make no sense at all.  If you want to impress us, start mentally processing, not regurgitating from memory.

Other studies?  Wolf is not making a comparative statement.  He's criticizing the one study, on the standards of quantitative analysis.

If you want to gain respect in these matters, do some study yourself.


Well there is a load of waffle without actually countering a single point I made

Again the simple factor here is Wolf was very much mistaken on his first impression on this

He had not even looked at the study and made spurious comments as you are doing now?

I have no need to gain the respect of some Californian tit, who has not got the first clue what he is talking about

Now lets have a real proper criticism for this study which is based over 13 years and not the inconsequential views of some failed and barred former lawyer

Now I have provided a link to the study, so spare me the bullshit dummy and actually attempt to make a case why you are not stupid here?

In your own time

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by Guest on Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:40 pm

Original Quill wrote:Oh, and um...stop lying.  You say the "study has being ongoing for 13 years..."  The study duration was over a 12-month period:

BBC News wrote:Based on these figures, The Children's Society estimates that nearly 110,000 children aged 14 may have self-harmed across the UK during the same 12-month period, including 76,000 girls and 33,000 boys.

You might try reading yourself.


This latest report used findings from an ongoing research programme with 65,000 children and young people, which began in 2005.
It took answers from a questionnaire sent to children aged 10-17, in which they were asked how they felt about:

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by Guest on Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:42 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote: Razz

Fuck off,  Didge...

Just face the facts  --  nicko and Quill are both on the right track with their comments above;

You prove that you know fuck-all about statistical analysis, biometry, and rational thinking;

and  --   20% doesn't equal "one quarter".

You should give up while you're behind,  rather than digging yourself in deeper..



Oh you want me to fuck off because you are admitting that you looked a complete dick here

What facts?

Did you actually read the study?

Nope and why you made quite clearly idiotic claims here and why you are now having a toddler tantrum

I suggest you take time out and actually read the study

Then come back with an educated reply

You should attempt to dig yourself out of a hole

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by Guest on Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:44 pm

Didge wrote:
Original Quill wrote:Oh, and um...stop lying.  You say the "study has being ongoing for 13 years..."  The study duration was over a 12-month period:



You might try reading yourself.


This latest report used findings from an ongoing research programme with 65,000 children and young people, which began in 2005.
It took answers from a questionnaire sent to children aged 10-17, in which they were asked how they felt about:


This is why you will always look like a Californian tit quill

You dont actually read a study and simple read a couple of sentences

I love making you look a right complete dummy

Laughing

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by Guest on Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:49 pm

Here you go dummies

https://www.childrenssociety.org.uk/what-we-do/resources-and-publications/the-good-childhood-report-2017

Here is the report that you can now spend time reading and then reply with rational and reasoned answers

You both never did and tried to be clever dicks and simple just looked like complete dicks

How funny is that how it worked out?

Laughing

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by Original Quill on Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:49 pm

Didge wrote:
Original Quill wrote:Oh, and um...stop lying.  You say the "study has being ongoing for 13 years..."  The study duration was over a 12-month period:



You might try reading yourself.


This latest report used findings from an ongoing research programme with 65,000 children and young people, which began in 2005.
It took answers from a questionnaire sent to children aged 10-17, in which they were asked how they felt about:

Like I say didge, you can't think. You don't know how to process these studies.

You go to a completely different article to make an erroneous conclusion. You cite NHS, not BBC, to note the study has been repeatedly performed over a number of years.

To say the study has been repeated for years, is not to say it is continuous over those years. The study 'duration' is a different matter. The study duration is a data set of it's own, and cannot be mingled with another data set. You can't summarize summary statistics.

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars

Someone is above the rule of law in America.
avatar
Original Quill

Posts : 25556
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 53
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by Guest on Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:52 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Didge wrote:


This latest report used findings from an ongoing research programme with 65,000 children and young people, which began in 2005.
It took answers from a questionnaire sent to children aged 10-17, in which they were asked how they felt about:

Like I say didge, you can't think.  You don't know how to process these studies.



Well clearly I can think and actually read a study. You never did and went off the media article and not the actual study

How much do you look a complete tit now?

This has been ongoing for 13 years and I am not going off any different study. So why question and use an article which is based on this study?

Why not admit you were wrong here?

You were wrong

Lets see if you have some humility

Take your time

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by Original Quill on Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:56 pm

Didge wrote:Well clearly I can think and actually read a study. You never did and went off the media article and not the actual study

How much do you look a complete tit now?

Who cares about me?  You're a fookin' liar, trying to save face when exposed.  We know you put winning over truth, remember when you were reworking the posts of another? You need to lie in order to win.

Bullshite is not the same as logic.

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars

Someone is above the rule of law in America.
avatar
Original Quill

Posts : 25556
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 53
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by Guest on Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:59 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Didge wrote:Well clearly I can think and actually read a study. You never did and went off the media article and not the actual study

How much do you look a complete tit now?

Who cares about me?  You're a fookin' liar, trying to save face when exposed.  We know you put winning over truth, remember when you were reworking the posts of another?

Bullshite is not the same as logic.  

Where did I lie?

You are no more than some inept bitter child boy, who is always jealous of me

You do not have to be, as I am only here to help and teach you. As I am sure you can with me, but sadly you hate the fact that I can educate you. That proves you are tribal and emphatically bigoted and discriminate against people

You are on a par with Trumps bullshit philosophy

Now read dummy


"Fifth of 14-year-old girls [actually 22%] in UK 'self-harm'", reported BBC News today.

The alarming headline is prompted by the publication of the 7th edition of the Good Childhood Report, produced by UK charity The Children's Society. This annual report aims to find out how children in the UK feel about their lives and the things that make them happy and unhappy.

Specifically, the report looks at:

trends in children's self-reported happiness over time, and whether this differs between genders
how they feel about family, friends and their appearance
the relationship between children's happiness and mental health, and how these may lead to behaviours such as self-harm
Generally, the UK media's coverage on the self-harm part of the report was accurate.

The report concludes with several policy recommendations. The main one is that adults should ask children themselves how they feel about their lives, rather than rely on observations and assumptions made by adults.

The report also suggests that we should consider children's general happiness, not just mental health issues, when identifying those in need of support.

What evidence did the report look at?
This latest report used findings from an ongoing research programme with 65,000 children and young people, which began in 2005.

It took answers from a questionnaire sent to children aged 10-17, in which they were asked how they felt about:

relationships with their family
their home
how much choice they have in life
relationships with their friends
money and things they own
their health
the way they look
their future
their school
the way they use their time
The researchers also considered data from the following 3 ongoing studies.

The British Household Panel Survey (BHPS) and Understanding Society study, which began in 1994, looks at long-term trends in how young people say they feel.

The Millennium Cohort Study, which began in 2001, tracks a range of physical and mental health factors. The researchers took data from the sixth wave of the study, when children were around 14 years old.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) 'Measuring National Well-being' looks at how children feel about a variety of things, such as how satisfied they feel with their life, whether they were happy yesterday, and whether they feel life is worthwhile.

What were the main findings?
General happiness

Over the period from 1995 to 2016, children's happiness with family, schoolwork and school was shown to increase. However, for friends and life as a whole, an increase between 1995 and 2009 was followed by a decrease in happiness between 2009 and 2016.

The researchers suggest that these trends are unlikely to be linked to a particular political or cultural effect (such as the 2008 recession). But the findings might tell us we need to offer extra support to children at this later life stage.

Differences between genders

There has been a growing difference between boys and girls in terms of happiness between 2009 and 2016. Girls' happiness relating to their physical appearance and life as a whole has decreased over time.

The researchers suggest that social media and the internet have more of a negative effect on girls than boys.

The researchers found that time spent with friends was slightly more important for boys than girls, while relationships with family and comments relating to appearance had more of an impact on happiness for girls.

Analysis also showed that children are aware of gender stereotypes, which had an impact on the happiness of both boys and girls.

And children aged 14 who were attracted to the same or both genders said they were significantly less happy and were more likely to have depressive symptoms than children attracted to the opposite gender.

Depression

There was a strong link between general happiness with life and depression. About 47% of children who reported low happiness in life had depressive symptoms. Girls were generally found to be less happy and have more depressive symptoms than boys.

Self-harming

Girls (22%) were more than twice as likely as boys (9%) to self-harm. Rates of self-harm were also higher in children who were attracted to the same gender or to both genders (46%), and in children from lower-income households.

It's worth mentioning that the report used the term "self-harming" to describe a wide range of behaviours, including drug and alcohol abuse, as well as physical self-harming.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by Original Quill on Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:10 pm

Haha...no comment.  You can't even summarize or extrapolate, because you don't know what it means.

The Millennium Cohort Study, which began in 2001, tracks a range of physical and mental health factors. The researchers took data from the sixth wave of the study, when children were around 14 years old.

"Began in 2001" does not mean continuous since 2001.  The art of a comparative analysis is to hold all things constant, while watching the variances of a single variable.  These are neither the same data set, nor the same variables.

You can't summarize summary statistics.

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars

Someone is above the rule of law in America.
avatar
Original Quill

Posts : 25556
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 53
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by Guest on Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:15 pm

Original Quill wrote:Haha...no comment.  You can't even summarize or extrapolate, because you don't know what it means.

The Millennium Cohort Study, which began in 2001, tracks a range of physical and mental health factors. The researchers took data from the sixth wave of the study, when children were around 14 years old.

"Began in 2001" does not mean continuous since 2001.  The art of a comparative analysis is to hold all things constant, while watching the variances of a single variable.  These are neither the same data set, nor the same variables.

You can't summarize summary statistics.

lol that was another study dummy

ha ha ha

You seriously cannot read can you?

Did you miss the other study by The British Household Panel Survey (BHPS) in 1994?

Seriously how badly are you unable to admit you are a tit?

Laughing

This is why you never read anything properly and now why I am going to embarres you further

This latest report used findings from an ongoing research programme with 65,000 children and young people, which began in 2005.

The British Household Panel Survey (BHPS) and Understanding Society study, which began in 1994, looks at long-term trends in how young people say they feel.

The Millennium Cohort Study, which began in 2001, tracks a range of physical and mental health factors. The researchers took data from the sixth wave of the study, when children were around 14 years old.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) 'Measuring National Well-being' looks at how children feel about a variety of things, such as how satisfied they feel with their life, whether they were happy yesterday, and whether they feel life is worthwhile.

Do you wanna tissue Quill and a burka to cover your face now|?

Laughing

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by Original Quill on Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:17 pm

Didge wrote:lol that was another study dummy

And that wasn't my point. You don't read, or can't, can you?


_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars

Someone is above the rule of law in America.
avatar
Original Quill

Posts : 25556
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 53
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by Guest on Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:20 pm

Ahhh bless I think I broke Quilllll


ha ha ha



lol!

Now Quill made a complete dick of himself here and cannot admit he did

I have admitted when wrong at times and should do more, but here is a prime example of a stubborn donkey when wrong

Quill has no humility when wrong

Laughing

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by Original Quill on Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:22 pm



...er...I mean didge. Razz

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars

Someone is above the rule of law in America.
avatar
Original Quill

Posts : 25556
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 53
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by Guest on Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:26 pm

Well Humpty dumpty is now on a roll
Lol, how far has Quill sidetracked from his errors and not admitted his ignorance here?

He has no other resort but to distract to me

Bring it on you wetwipe

Laughing


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by Original Quill on Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:34 pm

You go on, and on, and on...so I might as well entertain myself and others with characteractures of your writhing.


_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars

Someone is above the rule of law in America.
avatar
Original Quill

Posts : 25556
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 53
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by Guest on Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:38 pm

Original Quill wrote:You go on, and on, and on...so I might as well entertain myself and others with characteractures of your writhing.  




Laughing


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by Original Quill on Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:47 pm


_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars

Someone is above the rule of law in America.
avatar
Original Quill

Posts : 25556
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 53
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by Guest on Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:53 pm

Original Quill wrote:


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by Original Quill on Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:57 pm


_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars

Someone is above the rule of law in America.
avatar
Original Quill

Posts : 25556
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 53
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:58 pm

Didge wrote:Here you go dummies

https://www.childrenssociety.org.uk/what-we-do/resources-and-publications/the-good-childhood-report-2017

Here is the report that you can now spend time reading and then reply with rational and reasoned answers

You both never did and tried to be clever dicks and simple just looked like complete dicks

How funny is that how it worked out?

Laughing

Rolling Eyes

You're a fucking idiot, Dodge...

Three people simply question your posts,  and you go ballistic..

That's how it turns out for you  --  simply proving what an irrational non-thinking twat you are.

The only backing evidence you put up here is advertising for a lobby group chasing more funding..

You have posted more pure bullshit on this thread in the last couple of hours than anyone else has managed on the whole forum in the last couple of days...

_________________
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Our life is frittered away by details. Simplify, simplify.
The mass of men lead lives of quite desperation.
Henry David Thoreau
avatar
WhoseYourWolfie

Posts : 6304
Join date : 2016-02-24
Age : 60
Location : Lake Macquarie, NSW, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by Guest on Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:01 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:
Didge wrote:Here you go dummies

https://www.childrenssociety.org.uk/what-we-do/resources-and-publications/the-good-childhood-report-2017

Here is the report that you can now spend time reading and then reply with rational and reasoned answers

You both never did and tried to be clever dicks and simple just looked like complete dicks

How funny is that how it worked out?

Laughing

Rolling Eyes

You're a fucking idiot, Dodge...

Three people simply question your posts,  and you go ballistic..

That's how it turns out for you  --  simply proving what an irrational non-thinking twat you are.

The only backing evidence you put up here is advertising for a lobby group chasing more funding..

You call me the idiot and you made a judgement off not reading the studies

ha ha ha ha

How about you actually read the study and then come back to me with a valid response wetwipe?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by Original Quill on Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:40 pm

Wolf's point was a sound one, one of logic.

You go ballistic and start spouting off about evidence and "not reading", when you hardly understand it yourself. You're as dense as you are needy.

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars

Someone is above the rule of law in America.
avatar
Original Quill

Posts : 25556
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 53
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by Guest on Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:46 pm

Original Quill wrote:Wolf's point was a sound one, one of logic.

You go ballistic and start spouting off about evidence and "not reading", when you hardly understand it yourself.  You're as dense as you are needy.

Really?

Based on the fact he has never read a single study on this

How is that logical or even based on reason?

You tell me?

That is poorly dismissing collective evidence and before he has read it

That in no way is scientific but more religious dogma in disbelieving the evidence

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Nearly a quarter of young girls in the UK self harm.

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum