Making a molehill out of a mountain

Go down

Making a molehill out of a mountain Empty Making a molehill out of a mountain

Post by Victorismyhero on Sun Aug 19, 2018 5:45 pm

https://news.sky.com/story/fan-y-not-big-enough-welsh-mountain-downgraded-to-hill-11475707

Seems fan y isnt big enough..........not a common problem amongst most ladies. Smile

Patience my Ass......I' m gonna KILLsomething

.(It's hard to remember that the task is to drain the swamp, when you are up to your arse in alligators)

[b]I DONT BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Making a molehill out of a mountain Empty Re: Making a molehill out of a mountain

Post by Fred Moletrousers on Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:59 pm

Wasn't there once a film called "The man who went up a hill and came down a mountain" (or summat like that) about the same sort of thing, only t'other way round?
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Making a molehill out of a mountain Empty Re: Making a molehill out of a mountain

Post by Vintage on Sun Aug 19, 2018 10:49 pm

Yes a whole Welsh village hauled rocks and earth up the hill to build it up enough to be deemed a mountain. Not bad it had, Colm Meaney as the pub landlord.

Vintage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Mon Aug 20, 2018 1:00 am

Fred Moletrousers wrote:Wasn't there once a film called "The man who went up a hill and came down a mountain" (or summat like that) about the same sort of thing, only t'other way round?

Yes, and it starred Hugh Grant. Just after Four Weddings and a funeral....

Altitude is measured from sea level, not the rise from the next land feature over. If it were from a land base, the highest mountain would not be Mount Everest, but Holua Mauna Loa, on the Big Island of Hawai'i, which is also the largets active volcano.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers on Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:48 am

Original Quill wrote:
Fred Moletrousers wrote:Wasn't there once a film called "The man who went up a hill and came down a mountain" (or summat like that) about the same sort of thing, only t'other way round?

Yes, and it starred Hugh Grant.  Just after Four Weddings and a funeral....

Altitude is measured from sea level, not the rise from the next land feature over.  If it were from a land base, the highest mountain would not be Mount Everest, but Holua Mauna Loa, on the Big Island of Hawai'i, which is also the largets active volcano.

Apropros of nothing in particular, I managed to struggle to top of Mount Snowdon last autumn (well, getting a place on the train up there was a struggle) and in spite of my then dodgy ticker would have made it the last new yards to the very summit - but for the fact that the pointy bit with the placque that marked the highest spot was completely covered by a party of Chinese tourists clinging on to bits of rock with one hand, wielding selfie-sticks with the other and gurning into their phone cameras against the stunning background of, er, a very grey, damp and chilly Welsh sky.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

View user profile

Back to top Go down