'Snowflake' generation of students’ hostility to free speech revealed

Go down

'Snowflake' generation of students’ hostility to free speech revealed

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:58 am

The “snowflake” generation of students’ hostility to free speech on campus has been revealed in a new survey which shows that the majority want controversial speakers to be “no-platformed”. Students were presented with a list of hypothetical speakers holding a spectrum of contentious views, ranging from someone believes climate change is not caused by humans, to someone want to ban religion. Assuming the speaker had already been invited to give a talk at their university, students were asked whether or not a talk should be allowed to go ahead.

More than two-thirds of students (68 per cent) said that talks by Holocaust deniers should not be allowed to take place, according the a YouGov poll of 1,004 British students.

Meanwhile 64 per cent said they would ban speakers who believe that terrorist attacks in the UK can be justified.

One in ten students said that speakers who want to Royal Family to be abolished should be no-platformed.

And a fifth said speakers should be banned if they believe that God literally created the universe in six days.

Earlier this year, the higher education minister said that universities which “no-platform” controversial speakers will face a Government intervention. Sam Gyimah warned that universities must stamp out their “institutional hostility” to unfashionable views as he prepares to issue new guidance on free speech. His intervention came after a series of attempts to censor gay rights activists, feminists and Conservative politicians due to concerns from students that their views may cause offence.

According to the poll, only 36 per cent of students said that speakers should be allowed to address students if they believe that transgender woman are not “real” women. Just under half (48 per cent) said the speaker should not be allowed, with the remaining 15 per cent answering “don’t know” or “prefer not to say”.

Bristol University’s students’ union backed proposals to ban any “Terf” speakers who question the transgender status of women.

Terf, which stands for Trans-Exclusionary Radical Feminists, is generally used as a derogatory term to describe those who believe that “identifying” as a woman is not the same as being born a woman.

It can also be used to refer to people who are deemed to hold “transphobic” views. In 2015, students attempted to stop Germaine Greer, a leading feminist, from giving a lecture at Cardiff University on the basis that she had expressed transphobic views in the past. Last October, the veteran lesbian activist Linda Bellos has been due to speak at Cambridge University, but a college feminist society revoked their invitation after she said she would be questioning trans politics.

The "snowflake generation" is a disparaging term now commonly used to refer to young people, who are perceived to be over-sensitive and intolerant of disagreement. YouGov carried out another survey where they asked British members of the general public to imagine they were at university and the same set of speakers had been invited.

Students were more likely to ban three speakers than adults: the speaker who claims that vaccinations cause autism, one believes that transgender women are not 'real' women, and one believes that climate change is not caused by human actions. The only speaker that the general public are more likely to want banned than students is the one who believes that the royal family should be abolished.


https://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2018/06/28/snowflake-generation-students-hostility-free-speech-revealed/

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: 'Snowflake' generation of students’ hostility to free speech revealed

Post by veya_victaous on Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:07 am

And a fifth said speakers should be banned if they believe that God literally created the universe in six days.

that's pretty low and I 100% agree with that, someone that believes that has no place presenting on an academic campus.

_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
avatar
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 18677
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 35
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 'Snowflake' generation of students’ hostility to free speech revealed

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:48 am

Suspect

A YouGov poll of a whole "1004" uni' students...

Yep,  no doubt such a pathetic little survey will give a good representation of what all of those hundreds of thousands of students across dozens of British universities, and hundreds of different courses, will be collectively thinking at the time..

Let alone the millions of students across thousands of universities worldwide.

This load of shite is simply yet another of the Dodge's regular puff pieces, highlighting these rancid propaganda lies, seemingly aimed at helping to installl a more ultra-conservative right-wing corporatist system, with their pro-fascist policies.

_________________
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Our life is frittered away by details. Simplify, simplify.
The mass of men lead lives of quite desperation.
Henry David Thoreau
avatar
WhoseYourWolfie

Posts : 6314
Join date : 2016-02-24
Age : 60
Location : Lake Macquarie, NSW, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 'Snowflake' generation of students’ hostility to free speech revealed

Post by Original Quill on Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:56 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:Suspect

A YouGov poll of a whole "1004" uni' students...

Yep,  no doubt such a pathetic little survey will give a good representation of what all of those hundreds of thousands of students across dozens of British universities, and hundreds of different courses, will be collectively thinking at the time..

Let alone the millions of students across thousands of universities worldwide.

This load of shite is simply yet another of the Dodge's regular puff pieces, highlighting these rancid propaganda lies, seemingly aimed at helping to installl a more ultra-conservative right-wing corporatist system, with their pro-fascist policies.

Yep, it's a variant of "you can't generalize from specifics." Only in this case, too low a 'n'.

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars

Someone is above the rule of law in America.
avatar
Original Quill

Posts : 25603
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 53
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 'Snowflake' generation of students’ hostility to free speech revealed

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:55 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
And a fifth said speakers should be banned if they believe that God literally created the universe in six days.

that's pretty low and I 100% agree with that, someone that believes that has no place presenting on an academic campus.

Why should they be banned?

I think Creationism is absurd. but are you so scared of this, that you have to then ban speakers on this?

Seriously?

I think the best way is to challenge said speakers. You know how I easily challenege your deranged and warped beliefs daily.

But its no surprise, as you have used this mentality on me, to ban me, because some of my beliefs clash with yours.

It proves those who claim to champion the left, are nothing of the sort. They wish to ban anything they do not like

One word

Snowflakes

They cannot rise to the challenge, tackling those with poor beliefs

You have not got a clue what a free society is or free speech

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: 'Snowflake' generation of students’ hostility to free speech revealed

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:00 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:Suspect

A YouGov poll of a whole "1004" uni' students...

Yep,  no doubt such a pathetic little survey will give a good representation of what all of those hundreds of thousands of students across dozens of British universities, and hundreds of different courses, will be collectively thinking at the time..

Let alone the millions of students across thousands of universities worldwide.

This load of shite is simply yet another of the Dodge's regular puff pieces, highlighting these rancid propaganda lies, seemingly aimed at helping to installl a more ultra-conservative right-wing corporatist system, with their pro-fascist policies.

Well there is countless evidence to show many speakers being banned, or riots happenning at said events, when people disagree.

Do you ignore that also, or are you going to continually defend those who are against a free society, to free speech?

So the only and tiresome horseshit, that I see, is the drivel from the 3 cowards

You, Quill and Veya, always slag off something or people, with zero evidence.

I mean do you seriously want me to post up countless articles of countless Universities, trying to and shuting down speakers from speaking?

The only load of shite that comes out here, is the 3 village idiots

You have to be the most offensive twat ever on any forum, and yet nobody has ever argued that you should be banned permenantly

Do you know why

Because many people believe in free speech. Which sadly you do not.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: 'Snowflake' generation of students’ hostility to free speech revealed

Post by Original Quill on Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:57 pm

Didge wrote:Well there is countless evidence to show many speakers being banned, or riots happenning at said events, when people disagree.

I don't see them, do you wolf? Is he making this stuff up? It would have to be a quantitative argument, as he is suggesting some sort of transition from before to after. Yet he offers nary a number.

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars

Someone is above the rule of law in America.
avatar
Original Quill

Posts : 25603
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 53
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 'Snowflake' generation of students’ hostility to free speech revealed

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:59 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Didge wrote:Well there is countless evidence to show many speakers being banned, or riots happenning at said events, when people disagree.

I don't see them, do you wolf?  Is he making this stuff up?  It would have to be a quantitative argument, as he is suggesting some sort of transition from before to after.  Yet he offers nary a number.

https://edition.cnn.com/2017/02/01/us/milo-yiannopoulos-berkeley/index.html

https://eu.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2017/09/15/ben-shapiro-berkeley-protest-arrests/669071001/


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: 'Snowflake' generation of students’ hostility to free speech revealed

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:01 pm


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: 'Snowflake' generation of students’ hostility to free speech revealed

Post by veya_victaous on Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:01 am

Didge wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:
And a fifth said speakers should be banned if they believe that God literally created the universe in six days.

that's pretty low and I 100% agree with that, someone that believes that has no place presenting on an academic campus.

Why should they be banned?

I think Creationism is absurd. but are you so scared of this, that you have to then ban speakers on this?

Seriously?

I think the best way is to challenge said speakers. You know how I easily challenege your deranged and warped beliefs daily.

But its no surprise, as you have used this mentality on me, to ban me, because some of my beliefs clash with  yours.

It proves those who claim to champion the left, are nothing of the sort. They wish to ban anything they do not like

One word

Snowflakes

They cannot rise to the challenge, tackling those with poor beliefs

You have not got a clue what a free society is or free speech

Because its not True
It not about Opinions, it about Facts and what is True
And all opinions are NOT equal Despite how badly Snowflakes like you try make whatever shit you pull out your ass equal to actual scientific truth

it has no place in an Academic institution because it is not true, end of story.

fuck challenging it (why start another holy war? all you seem to want is conflict)
its only dumb monkeys that believe it anyway, why worry what the Chimp believes? just don't let the chimp make decisions Rolling Eyes

Irony that the snowflake, that thinks some dipshit's hallucination is equal to research backed Science/Facts, is calling anyone else a snowflake Razz Razz Razz

_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
avatar
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 18677
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 35
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 'Snowflake' generation of students’ hostility to free speech revealed

Post by Tommy Monk on Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:41 am



But veya... evolution is just a theory too...!


There is no conclusive proof that it is true...!



_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
avatar
Tommy Monk

Posts : 21068
Join date : 2014-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 'Snowflake' generation of students’ hostility to free speech revealed

Post by veya_victaous on Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:44 am

Tommy Monk wrote:

But veya... evolution is just a theory too...!


There is no conclusive proof that it is true...!




everything you just said is wrong Rolling Eyes

It is 'the Theory of' which is not the same 'a theory'. that Capital T is important Wink

there is conclusive indisputable proof that it is true
there is not conclusive proof of the mechanism of Why things evolve. (the reason it remains 'the Theory of' and not 'the Laws of')

Thanks for proving WHY this Snowflake idea that all opinions are equal is full of Shit Wink

_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
avatar
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 18677
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 35
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 'Snowflake' generation of students’ hostility to free speech revealed

Post by *THE Ben Reilly* on Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:32 am

Tommy Monk wrote:

But veya... evolution is just a theory too...!


There is no conclusive proof that it is true...!



Evolution was proven conclusively in a lab experiment years ago.

_________________
“You can pay for school but you can't buy class.”

Jay-Z
avatar
*THE Ben Reilly*
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 24652
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 43
Location : Jamás Bese el Culo Del Jefe, Texas

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Re: 'Snowflake' generation of students’ hostility to free speech revealed

Post by veya_victaous on Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:14 am

Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:

But veya... evolution is just a theory too...!


There is no conclusive proof that it is true...!



Evolution was proven conclusively in a lab experiment years ago.

evolution being proven  Wink


_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
avatar
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 18677
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 35
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 'Snowflake' generation of students’ hostility to free speech revealed

Post by Guest on Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:12 am

veya_victaous wrote:
Didge wrote:

Why should they be banned?

I think Creationism is absurd. but are you so scared of this, that you have to then ban speakers on this?

Seriously?

I think the best way is to challenge said speakers. You know how I easily challenege your deranged and warped beliefs daily.

But its no surprise, as you have used this mentality on me, to ban me, because some of my beliefs clash with  yours.

It proves those who claim to champion the left, are nothing of the sort. They wish to ban anything they do not like

One word

Snowflakes

They cannot rise to the challenge, tackling those with poor beliefs

You have not got a clue what a free society is or free speech

Because its not True
It not about Opinions, it about Facts and what is True
And all opinions are NOT equal Despite how badly Snowflakes like you try make whatever shit you pull out your ass equal to actual scientific truth

it has no place in an Academic institution because it is not true, end of story.

fuck challenging it (why start another holy war? all you seem to want is conflict)
its only dumb monkeys that believe it anyway, why worry what the Chimp believes? just don't let the chimp make decisions Rolling Eyes

Irony that the snowflake, that thinks some dipshit's hallucination is equal to research backed Science/Facts, is calling anyone else a snowflake Razz Razz Razz  

Well Marxism, is an opinion and not fact, thus meaning you would be happy if then any left wing speaker was banned?
I mean we even know that Communism, is an appalling belief system, that has seen tens of millions die.

You see, this is what is wrong with the left. It does not matter if something is opinion, as most things are opinion. So the moment you make it subjective who can speak, means, that soceity is not a free soceity. Thus you deny then free speech, where you are in no position to do so

So again you are trying to stifle free speech, the cournerstone of western societies

So the only dipshit I see here, is you, too afraid of others beliefs

I never claimed a belief is equal to scientific research

Again a prime example of you making up bullshit

I suggest if you want to have a society, that does censur free speech, you are living in the wrong society

Try countries like China, Venezuela, Cuba, most Muslim majority countries

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: 'Snowflake' generation of students’ hostility to free speech revealed

Post by veya_victaous on Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:30 am

they should teach Marxism in History, they should not have presenters 'advocating it' . And Marxism is a thing, Claiming that Transpeople are not real is NOT a thing. Since Transpeople CLEARLY exist

No, most things that belong in an Academic institution are not Opinion
What YOU produce is mainly opinions, poor uneducated ones, which is why you have no place in an Academic institution

And You DO want it to be presented NEXT to Scientific research SO YES YOU FUCKING WELL DID, but as usual you are too fucking Stupid to following the logical and obvious outcomes of Following Your dumb ass lip service.

that's what is Wrong with Right Whingers Like Didge, they are poorly educated, believe nonsense that half overheard and though sounded smart and EXEPCT to be listening to On par with someone that actually Knows Facts.


Again your strawman and Hypocrisy "If you wont blindly accept these lies I've been told and believe without thinking then..." Blah blah blah Crying Right Whinger.
How about You FUCK OFFF you Nazi Wannbe!!!!! At least I'm not using my Free speech to Spread Falsehoods and lies. the nations we have today are created by SHOOTING Nazis like you not listening to them!

_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
avatar
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 18677
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 35
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 'Snowflake' generation of students’ hostility to free speech revealed

Post by Guest on Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:37 am

veya_victaous wrote:they should teach Marxism in History, they should not have presenters 'advocating it' . And Marxism is a thing, Claiming that Transpeople are not real is NOT a thing. Since Transpeople CLEARLY exist

No, most things that belong in an Academic institution are not Opinion
What YOU produce is mainly opinions, poor uneducated ones, which is why you have no place in an Academic institution

And You DO want it to be presented NEXT to Scientific research SO YES YOU FUCKING WELL DID, but as usual you are too fucking Stupid to following the logical and obvious outcomes of Following Your dumb ass lip service.

that's what is Wrong with Right Whingers Like Didge, they are poorly educated, believe nonsense that half overheard and though sounded smart and EXEPCT to be listening to On par with someone that actually Knows Facts.


Again your strawman and Hypocrisy  "If you wont blindly accept these lies I've been told and believe without thinking then..."  Blah blah blah Crying Right Whinger.
How about You FUCK OFFF you Nazi Wannbe!!!!! At least I'm not using my Free speech to Spread Falsehoods and lies. the nations we have today are created by SHOOTING Nazis like you not listening to them!


So again you want to censur opinions you do not like, which means, nobody gets to debate or learn anything in the world of Veya. Just enforced views he has for people

Transpeople do exist, but it is a concept of the mind, so you are backing something again that is not biological, but phsychological.

Again you further lie and claim I want opinions to be presented alongside scientific data

A complete lie

There are many other subjects that are not scientific and you would ensure, there is no talks, on countless subjects.

Its a glowing example of the Totalitarian mindset, which we see in the likes of the Theocratic world

I love people with such a poor education as yourself, all you ever do is lie about people. As that is all you offer within debate

I back a free society, that has free speech and that people should be there to challenge all forms of beliefs

Its because of people like you, that more and more people are turning to the right

So stop lying little boy, or you will be sent back to Coventry

Have a nice day Mr Dictator

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: 'Snowflake' generation of students’ hostility to free speech revealed

Post by veya_victaous on Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:55 am

No! You don't back a free society where I am fee to call you WRONG!!
Your the one that Think opinions that match your own should be presented along side FACTS.
Your the Hypocrite that's post is just a exercise in Lip service fellatio, with no actual valid point that isn't immediately countered by your own hypocrisy


Yes, TRUE Dumb people that want to believe in Fairy tales and Preserve their Bigotry Are Turning to the right.
Do you know why? Because they can't just spread their Crap without getting questioned and inevitable found wanting when comparing their delusion to the facts.

Decent People have and will stay Left.

and there is not a single subject that hasn't got a basis in Science that is worth studying, I 100% support them being removed too.

_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
avatar
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 18677
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 35
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 'Snowflake' generation of students’ hostility to free speech revealed

Post by Guest on Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:49 pm

veya_victaous wrote:No! You don't back a free society where I am fee to call you WRONG!!

Your the one that Think opinions that match your own should be presented along side FACTS.
Your the Hypocrite that's post is just a exercise in Lip service fellatio, with no actual valid point that isn't immediately countered by your own hypocrisy


Yes, TRUE Dumb people that want to believe in Fairy tales and Preserve their Bigotry Are Turning to the right.
Do you know why? Because they can't just spread their Crap without getting questioned and inevitable found wanting when comparing their delusion to the facts.


Decent People have and will stay Left.


and there is not a single subject that hasn't got a basis in Science that is worth studying, I 100% support them being removed too.


So again more gibberish which does not represent any of my views

This is all you do, continue to lie

Its embarressing

You do not back free speech and have evidence above to show you do not

That means you do not believe in a free society

Well nobody cares what subjects you want to remove, which again furthers proves how you want to enforce your views on society.

Many subjects do not have any bases in science

And then you go on about bigotry when you spent a post poorly tring to slag me off with lies

Oh the irony, ha ha

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: 'Snowflake' generation of students’ hostility to free speech revealed

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:14 am



What is truly "ironic" here is seeing the braindead wastrel Dodge tripping away on here this week...

Watching him falsely labelling veya, Quill and myself as "liars" across several varying threads --  when noone else is "lying" about Didgerii..

Didge is truly losing the plot lately, when his only defence against his detractors is to call honest critics "liars", while lambasting us with more of his endlessly moronic and empty personal insults.

_________________
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Our life is frittered away by details. Simplify, simplify.
The mass of men lead lives of quite desperation.
Henry David Thoreau
avatar
WhoseYourWolfie

Posts : 6314
Join date : 2016-02-24
Age : 60
Location : Lake Macquarie, NSW, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 'Snowflake' generation of students’ hostility to free speech revealed

Post by gelico on Wed Jul 04, 2018 2:22 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:

Didge is truly losing the plot lately, when his only defence against his detractors is to call honest critics "liars", while lambasting us with more of his endlessly moronic and empty personal insults.


hahahahaha, princess, you are the ace of endlessly moronic and empty personal insults - it's all you ever offer










gelico

Posts : 1634
Join date : 2017-07-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 'Snowflake' generation of students’ hostility to free speech revealed

Post by nicko on Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:26 pm

+1
avatar
nicko

Posts : 10306
Join date : 2013-12-07
Age : 77
Location : rainbow bridge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 'Snowflake' generation of students’ hostility to free speech revealed

Post by Tommy Monk on Wed Jul 04, 2018 6:29 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly wrote:

Evolution was proven conclusively in a lab experiment years ago.

evolution being proven  Wink



That's hardly the same as the claimed general theory of evolution of all life forms...



_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
avatar
Tommy Monk

Posts : 21068
Join date : 2014-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 'Snowflake' generation of students’ hostility to free speech revealed

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum