New rule -- NO COPYING AND PASTING THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

Go down

New rule -- NO COPYING AND PASTING THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

Post by *THE Ben Reilly* on Thu 3 May 2018 - 18:46

People have complained about this for ages, but it's struck me that we're really being unfair to journalists and the companies who publish them by allowing long copy-paste posts.

From now on, let's keep it between 2-5 paragraphs tops -- 2 from a really short article, up to 5 from a really long one. Use your judgment but don't post 5 paragraphs of a 6-paragraph article.

The thing is, click and taps are the currency of digital journalism, and when you post the entire article, you rob the writer and the publisher of a click or a tap. Or a tick or a clap!

Let people get their ticks and claps. It's only fair -- and now it's the LAW.

Yours insouciantly,

Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly

_________________
“She's a well thought-out plan and I don't know how it happened.”

Eli Young
avatar
*THE Ben Reilly*
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 24417
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 43
Location : Jamás Bese el Culo Del Jefe, Texas

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Re: New rule -- NO COPYING AND PASTING THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

Post by eddie on Thu 3 May 2018 - 18:48

What the fuck does “insouciantly“ mean?
That’s just about the only thing I didn’t think was on fleek Bruv.

_________________
INTELLIGENCE - “Not because you think you know everything without questioning, but rather because you question everything you think you know.”

Word. Cool
avatar
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 35772
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 48
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New rule -- NO COPYING AND PASTING THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

Post by *THE Ben Reilly* on Thu 3 May 2018 - 18:49

eddie wrote:What the fuck does “insouciantly“ mean?
That’s just about the only thing I didn’t think was on fleek Bruv.

Definition of insouciance
: lighthearted unconcern : nonchalance

_________________
“She's a well thought-out plan and I don't know how it happened.”

Eli Young
avatar
*THE Ben Reilly*
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 24417
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 43
Location : Jamás Bese el Culo Del Jefe, Texas

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Re: New rule -- NO COPYING AND PASTING THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

Post by eddie on Thu 3 May 2018 - 18:51

I totally agree with the OP, by the way. From a poster point of view I really don’t need the whole long arse article in my face. I want a “nutshell” story that I can go and garner more info from, using the clicktaptickclap thingy.

_________________
INTELLIGENCE - “Not because you think you know everything without questioning, but rather because you question everything you think you know.”

Word. Cool
avatar
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 35772
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 48
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New rule -- NO COPYING AND PASTING THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

Post by Didge on Thu 3 May 2018 - 23:57

Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly wrote:People have complained about this for ages, but it's struck me that we're really being unfair to journalists and the companies who publish them by allowing long copy-paste posts.

From now on, let's keep it between 2-5 paragraphs tops -- 2 from a really short article, up to 5 from a really long one. Use your judgment but don't post 5 paragraphs of a 6-paragraph article.

The thing is, click and taps are the currency of digital journalism, and when you post the entire article, you rob the writer and the publisher of a click or a tap. Or a tick or a clap!

Let people get their ticks and claps. It's only fair -- and now it's the LAW.

Yours insouciantly,

Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly


I have no problem about that, but what about articles, where you have to be a member to read the entire article on a link? I post articles from links, that I am a member

Should not the mods, after being advised of such a link, crop the article andplace the rest under a spoiler alert?

Its all well and good that some people are too lazy to read an entire article and by doing so miss vital elements of this, but surely, the facility, should be there for people to read that entire article?

_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 13282
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New rule -- NO COPYING AND PASTING THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

Post by veya_victaous on Fri 4 May 2018 - 2:04

Agree with Didge.... Death to Pay Walls...
I think if they are behind a pay wall Post the lot, fuck'em may their business and business model go the way of typewriter repairs Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
avatar
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 18509
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 35
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New rule -- NO COPYING AND PASTING THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

Post by HoratioTarr on Fri 4 May 2018 - 3:22

Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly wrote:People have complained about this for ages, but it's struck me that we're really being unfair to journalists and the companies who publish them by allowing long copy-paste posts.

From now on, let's keep it between 2-5 paragraphs tops -- 2 from a really short article, up to 5 from a really long one. Use your judgment but don't post 5 paragraphs of a 6-paragraph article.

The thing is, click and taps are the currency of digital journalism, and when you post the entire article, you rob the writer and the publisher of a click or a tap. Or a tick or a clap!

Let people get their ticks and claps. It's only fair -- and now it's the LAW.

Yours insouciantly,

Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly

The main problem is that very long posts, apart from over facing the reader, are repeated at the top of each page.
avatar
HoratioTarr

Posts : 8066
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New rule -- NO COPYING AND PASTING THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

Post by eddie on Fri 4 May 2018 - 3:23

It’s not the job of the mods to trim a post or an article.

Every article has main bullet points and main areas of focus, use those. The rest of the article (and let’s face it, most of the rest of a news article after the main bullet points is just waffle).

I’m sorry, but eventually we want new members and long and copy and pastes are tedious. If we want to read the article in its entirety then let us, the reader, decide.

Also, the point Ben makes in his first post is relevant.


And one last thing: I know most members are put off by long c&p’s and then there’s always the muppet who goes and quotes the whole long arse c&p when they reply... Rolling Eyes  

I think three paragraphs or five (if it’s a really long article) is well and truly enough. I’ve pretty much always edited the article when I’ve posted it up.

_________________
INTELLIGENCE - “Not because you think you know everything without questioning, but rather because you question everything you think you know.”

Word. Cool
avatar
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 35772
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 48
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New rule -- NO COPYING AND PASTING THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

Post by nicko on Fri 4 May 2018 - 4:27

Can't bother reading long c'p's, and I venture I'm not the only one!
avatar
nicko

Posts : 10041
Join date : 2013-12-07
Age : 77
Location : rainbow bridge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New rule -- NO COPYING AND PASTING THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

Post by *THE Ben Reilly* on Fri 4 May 2018 - 4:38

If the rest of the article is behind a paywall, you can always sum up the rest of the article or let us know the gist of the story in your own words.

This move is really about supporting rather than stealing journalism.

Short quotes plus a link means more revenue for news publishers. Coming from a publisher that just laid off six talented journalists this week for the sole reason that they had the highest salaries in the newsroom, I can attest to the fact that publications need more money.

_________________
“She's a well thought-out plan and I don't know how it happened.”

Eli Young
avatar
*THE Ben Reilly*
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 24417
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 43
Location : Jamás Bese el Culo Del Jefe, Texas

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Re: New rule -- NO COPYING AND PASTING THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

Post by Vintage on Fri 4 May 2018 - 8:16

nicko wrote:Can't bother reading long c'p's,  and I venture I'm not the only one!

You aren't. Its totally off putting and sometimes repetitive.

Vintage

Posts : 1135
Join date : 2013-08-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New rule -- NO COPYING AND PASTING THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

Post by Didge on Fri 4 May 2018 - 10:59

veya_victaous wrote:Agree with Didge.... Death to Pay Walls...
I think if they are behind a pay wall Post the lot, fuck'em may their business and business model go the way of typewriter repairs Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil


_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 13282
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New rule -- NO COPYING AND PASTING THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

Post by Didge on Fri 4 May 2018 - 11:03

Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly wrote:If the rest of the article is behind a paywall, you can always sum up the rest of the article or let us know the gist of the story in your own words.

This move is really about supporting rather than stealing journalism.

Short quotes plus a link means more revenue for news publishers. Coming from a publisher that just laid off six talented journalists this week for the sole reason that they had the highest salaries in the newsroom, I can attest to the fact that publications need more money.

Nah, it will be more fun, due to people not bothering to read an article and gain all the known evidence and simple watch them continually cock up. Due to being lazy.

It does make me laugh, that people are so scared to read a full article. The fact is those on here, would still see six talented publishers laid off, as they would not even read that article, if not for me posting it here. So that is a really dumb claim to make mate.

I will abide by the rules on this, but it proves how further and more lazy society is becoming

Imagine people took that approach with your book. That they just read the back of the book to get the gist and then never buy it.

Go figure

_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 13282
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New rule -- NO COPYING AND PASTING THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

Post by eddie on Fri 4 May 2018 - 11:12

Didge you’re not really understanding something. The debate on any given article is usually on one or maybe two, points.  That’s why you only need the gist of it.

Let me try and explain with an example; say I post up a story about people choosing not to immunise against  measles. A lot of the article may explain what measles is and why it can make you unwell - but people don’t need that information within the thread when they either know already or they can choose to find out more. The article may further explain a history of measles - again people don’t need the history, they clicked on the story because of the headline, “Parents choosing not to immunise against measles”, and that’s what they really want to know about.

I like to choose three relevant paragraphs from an article and maybe a quote with a photo. I’ve always posted this way and it’s always worked well enough for the topic of the debate.

The only time I’ll post an article in its entirety is if it’s a really short article anyway.

_________________
INTELLIGENCE - “Not because you think you know everything without questioning, but rather because you question everything you think you know.”

Word. Cool
avatar
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 35772
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 48
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New rule -- NO COPYING AND PASTING THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

Post by Didge on Fri 4 May 2018 - 11:17

eddie wrote:Didge you’re not really understanding something. The debate on any given article is usually on one or maybe two, points.  That’s why you only need the gist of it.

Let me try and explain with an example; say I post up a story about people choosing not to immunise against  measles. A lot of the article may explain what measles is and why it can make you unwell - but people don’t need that information within the thread when they either know already or they cam choose to find out more. The article may further explain a history of measles - again people don’t need the history, they clicked on the story because of the headline, “Parents choosing not to immunise against measles”, and that’s what they really want to know about.

I like to choose three relevant paragraphs from an article and maybe a quote with a photo. I’ve always posted this way and it’s always worked well enough for the topic of the debate.

The only time I’ll post an article in its entirety is if it’s a really short article anyway.

I am getting the gist of it thank you Eddie and giving my view, why its a complete copout for those lazy.

You are making an assumption and only on those posters who would not be interested in reading the rest and thus effectively saying tough to those who do. Its your subjective belief and a few others on this, where I do like to read articles in full. Again, I am not against the new rule, but think where people cannot read an entire article. From a site where you have to be a member, then there should be an exception, if requested by a poster, to see more of the article.

Is that not fair also, that it is only then done on request, by say at least two other posters. As they would not be able to acess the full article, not being a member?

So what you like and what others may like will be different and as seen it only favours some posters on here and thus now. Some like me, when its a pay wall, will be unable to see the full article.

_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 13282
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New rule -- NO COPYING AND PASTING THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

Post by Didge on Fri 4 May 2018 - 11:21

The only valid point actually made, was Ben's on the effect it can and does have on Journalists. Which as I pointed out, they still would be effected by those same posters, who do not want to read full articles.

_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 13282
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New rule -- NO COPYING AND PASTING THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

Post by eddie on Fri 4 May 2018 - 11:28

It’s about choice, didge. If you want to know more you click on the link.
It’s just that simple.

_________________
INTELLIGENCE - “Not because you think you know everything without questioning, but rather because you question everything you think you know.”

Word. Cool
avatar
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 35772
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 48
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New rule -- NO COPYING AND PASTING THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

Post by Didge on Fri 4 May 2018 - 11:29

eddie wrote:It’s about choice, didge. If you want to know more you click on the link.
It’s just that simple.

Did you actually read what I posted Eddie?

I am happy to click on the link, the issue is when that link has a paywall.

_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 13282
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New rule -- NO COPYING AND PASTING THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

Post by eddie on Fri 4 May 2018 - 11:38

Didge wrote:
eddie wrote:It’s about choice, didge. If you want to know more you click on the link.
It’s just that simple.

Did you actually read what I posted Eddie?

I am happy to click on the link, the issue is when that link has a paywall.


Yes didge, I did read it, I was replying to your assumptions tnat posters were “lazy” because they dont want (or need) to read a long arse article to pick out the points they want to know.

When I post a thread I like to think I’ve done the relevant work for the reader. If they want to know the topic in depth, a link is provided. It’s just a better way to approach a thread as you’re making it easier for your audience.

_________________
INTELLIGENCE - “Not because you think you know everything without questioning, but rather because you question everything you think you know.”

Word. Cool
avatar
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 35772
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 48
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New rule -- NO COPYING AND PASTING THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

Post by Didge on Fri 4 May 2018 - 11:43

eddie wrote:
Didge wrote:

Did you actually read what I posted Eddie?

I am happy to click on the link, the issue is when that link has a paywall.


Yes didge, I did read it, I was replying to your assumptions tnat posters were “lazy” because they dont want (or need) to read a long arse article to pick out the points they want to know.  

When I post a thread I like to think I’ve done the relevant work for the reader. If they want to know the topic in depth, a link is provided. It’s just a better way to approach a thread as you’re making it easier for your audience.

To me that is very lazy, as you thus by doing so, miss many elements of the article. It shows a poor impatience in people, that try to skip ahead. As I dread to think what they are like, with operating manuels.

We are not talking about some articles here, but a view on all articles here. Where I actually of late post shortened artciles from the Mail and Telegraph and on one. You actually moaned that I do not post enough content, lol.

Again, this subjective view, on you thinking you know what all readers want, when its actually based on what you think.

So to me, its not a better way, when the better way, would be simple to scroll down, which takes seconds.

_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 13282
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New rule -- NO COPYING AND PASTING THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

Post by eddie on Fri 4 May 2018 - 11:52

Okay, well it seems that most people on here have complained about it, disliked it and avoided posts like it and from what I’ve seen over the years on forums, people always tend to avoid long wordy posts that are just long c&p’s.

Take a look for yourself. The shortening any of a given article doesn’t seem to hinder debate at all.

And I’ll leave it there as this is a moment when I know you’ll stick to your point about people being lazy even though that so-called “laziness” doesn’t seem to stop busy threads or any of us, missing an entire point due to not reading long c&p’s.

Debate is supposed to be about our opinions too. We just want to discuss the main point, not seventeen other points within an article.

Thanks for your input though, we had a great discussion without any need of a long article to read!

_________________
INTELLIGENCE - “Not because you think you know everything without questioning, but rather because you question everything you think you know.”

Word. Cool
avatar
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 35772
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 48
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New rule -- NO COPYING AND PASTING THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

Post by Didge on Fri 4 May 2018 - 11:59

eddie wrote:Okay, well it seems that most people on here have complained about it, disliked it and avoided posts like it and from what I’ve seen over the years on forums, people always tend to avoid long wordy posts that are just long c&p’s.

Take a look for yourself. The shortening any of a given article doesn’t seem to hinder debate at all.

And I’ll leave it there as this is a moment when I know you’ll stick to your point about people being lazy even though that so-called “laziness” doesn’t seem to stop busy threads or any of us, missing an entire point due to not reading long c&p’s.

Debate is supposed to be about our opinions too. We just want to discuss the main point, not seventeen other points within an article.

Thanks for your input though, we had a great discussion without any need of a long article to read!

Busy threads happen due to debate inpute, no matter if long or short opening articles.

Myself, as some posters already state, help generate debate.

So the lengh or shortness does not factor.

Like I say, it certainly is impatience, as to why people want shorter opening articles.

To me, thus people lose out, because they are impatient, as they seem to be in a hurry.

So no opinions have been stopped when there is long articles

I gave an option, that would have been a happy medium. To only where there is paywall articles. Though, you have over ruled me, to pander only to those who want all articles shortened. The rest of us have to suck it up.

Which i guarantee, will only ensure having to have the poster need to explain more than was necessary, by not having the full article.

_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 13282
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New rule -- NO COPYING AND PASTING THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

Post by eddie on Fri 4 May 2018 - 12:02

Dear lord. No one has to explain anything to anyone if a link is provided. They can find it for themselves.

I’m bored now. Sorry.

_________________
INTELLIGENCE - “Not because you think you know everything without questioning, but rather because you question everything you think you know.”

Word. Cool
avatar
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 35772
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 48
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New rule -- NO COPYING AND PASTING THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

Post by Didge on Fri 4 May 2018 - 12:06

eddie wrote:Dear lord. No one has to explain anything to anyone if a link is provided. They can find it for themselves.

I’m bored now. Sorry.

Not when there is a paywall


_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 13282
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New rule -- NO COPYING AND PASTING THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

Post by Original Quill on Fri 4 May 2018 - 12:14

A fully quoted article can be shortened by highlighting and bolding significant sentences that convey the message, or alternatively, those sentences you wish to take issue with.

But eds, you yourself have openly criticized posters who take advantage of such shortcuts...you castigate posters for not having read the full article. Your message seems to be: anyone who hasn't read the complete article is out-of-line to speak.

I like this directive for a different reason. It involves the poster in the subject matter...prove your interest by discussing it! If you can restate the article, or indeed, better yet, argue with the article, you are involved in the subject.

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
avatar
Original Quill

Posts : 25026
Join date : 2013-12-18
Age : 53
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New rule -- NO COPYING AND PASTING THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

Post by eddie on Fri 4 May 2018 - 13:29

Quill, I think you’ll find I am the one who doesn’t read articles properly sometimes and I openly admit that I haven’t read it. I don’t think I’ve ever castigated someone for not reading an article properly, though I have castigated some for not reading a post properly....remember?

_________________
INTELLIGENCE - “Not because you think you know everything without questioning, but rather because you question everything you think you know.”

Word. Cool
avatar
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 35772
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 48
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New rule -- NO COPYING AND PASTING THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

Post by Original Quill on Fri 4 May 2018 - 13:51

eddie wrote:Quill, I think you’ll find I am the one who doesn’t read articles properly sometimes and I openly admit that I haven’t read it. I don’t think I’ve ever castigated someone for not reading an article properly, though I have castigated some for not reading a post properly....remember?

You leveled that very criticism at me, no more than a month or so ago. Eds, I speak from personal experience. But I've seen you level the same criticism at others.

I acknowledge that you often admit you don't (or won't) read long, C&P posts, and I sympathize. That's why I like the new rule.

But let me add: people (Maddog, for one) often criticized me for my long posts. So, if you post a C&P article, or draft a long post of your own words, some people don't like it. This suggests the problem isn't the quoted, C&P article, but the impatience of the reader.

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
avatar
Original Quill

Posts : 25026
Join date : 2013-12-18
Age : 53
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New rule -- NO COPYING AND PASTING THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

Post by Raggamuffin on Fri 4 May 2018 - 13:52

Re this business of members being "lazy", some of us don't have all day to be reading long articles, we just want something short and to the point. It's a forum, not a PhD thesis.

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 31001
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New rule -- NO COPYING AND PASTING THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

Post by Didge on Fri 4 May 2018 - 13:57

Raggamuffin wrote:Re this business of members being "lazy", some of us don't have all day to be reading long articles, we just want something short and to the point. It's a forum, not a PhD thesis.

So you are saying that 2 minutes is too much time to read something over 30 seconds?

To then have you reply multiple times within that or many threads?

Seems, to me, that is about the most biggest load of babble going, when and you do reply in many threads.

In other words, its like I said, its down to impatience and laziness.

As seen, you clearly have plenty of time, to reply many times.

_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 13282
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New rule -- NO COPYING AND PASTING THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

Post by Raggamuffin on Fri 4 May 2018 - 13:59

Didge wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:Re this business of members being "lazy", some of us don't have all day to be reading long articles, we just want something short and to the point. It's a forum, not a PhD thesis.

So you are saying that 2 minutes is too much time to read something over 30 seconds?

To then have you reply multiple times within that or many threads?

Seems, to me, that is about the most biggest load of babble going, when and you do reply in many threads.

In other words, its like I said, its down to impatience and laziness.

As seen, you clearly have plenty of time, to reply many times.

Two minutes? More like two hours sometimes. Laughing

Look, we don't all have time to go into each subject in a very thorough manner, so long articles are a pain. Some of us do actually work full time you know.

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 31001
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New rule -- NO COPYING AND PASTING THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

Post by eddie on Fri 4 May 2018 - 14:00

Original Quill wrote:
eddie wrote:Quill, I think you’ll find I am the one who doesn’t read articles properly sometimes and I openly admit that I haven’t read it. I don’t think I’ve ever castigated someone for not reading an article properly, though I have castigated some for not reading a post properly....remember?

You leveled that very criticism at me, no more than a month or so ago.  Eds, I speak from personal experience.  But I've seen you level the same criticism at others.

I acknowledge that you often admit you don't (or won't) read long, C&P posts, and I sympathize.  That's why I like the new rule.

But let me add: people (Maddog, for one) often criticized me for my long posts.  So, if you post a C&P article, or draft a long post of your own words, some people don't like it.  This suggests the problem isn't the quoted, C&P article, but the impatience of the reader.


Okay I accept that I may have said that to you, I don’t remember doing it to be honest as I don’t think I would criticise someone for doing something that I’m guilty of, but I’ll take your word on it. I do know I have definitely criticised you and didge, in particular, for not reading a post properly.

Long posts are fine if they’re the poster’s opinions and are not to be criticised.
To be clear we are only talking long c&p’d articles.

_________________
INTELLIGENCE - “Not because you think you know everything without questioning, but rather because you question everything you think you know.”

Word. Cool
avatar
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 35772
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 48
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New rule -- NO COPYING AND PASTING THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

Post by Didge on Fri 4 May 2018 - 14:02

Raggamuffin wrote:
Didge wrote:

So you are saying that 2 minutes is too much time to read something over 30 seconds?

To then have you reply multiple times within that or many threads?

Seems, to me, that is about the most biggest load of babble going, when and you do reply in many threads.

In other words, its like I said, its down to impatience and laziness.

As seen, you clearly have plenty of time, to reply many times.

Two minutes? More like two hours sometimes.  Laughing

Look, we don't all have time to go into each subject in a very thorough manner, so long articles are a pain. Some of us do actually work full time you know.

You must be a very slow reader? Do you have learning difficulties?

Like i said, how is it that you can be on here for well over an hour replying to many posts?

The answer is very simple, laziness, formed from impatience.

_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 13282
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New rule -- NO COPYING AND PASTING THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

Post by Raggamuffin on Fri 4 May 2018 - 14:04

Didge wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Two minutes? More like two hours sometimes.  Laughing

Look, we don't all have time to go into each subject in a very thorough manner, so long articles are a pain. Some of us do actually work full time you know.

You must be a very slow reader? Do you have learning difficulties?

Like i said, how is it that you can be on here for well over an hour replying to many posts?

The answer is very simple, laziness, formed from impatience.

How can I be on here for an hour replying to many posts? Because I'm actually not at work at the moment. However, if I had all day like you to sit here reading everything thoroughly, think about it, and then do a huge reply, things might be different, but I simply don't have the time.

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 31001
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New rule -- NO COPYING AND PASTING THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

Post by eddie on Fri 4 May 2018 - 14:06

Actually it isn’t laziness. I read an article before I post it and I know for a fact, using my example that I gave earlier, that everyone already knows what measles is and how it affects the patient, so I decide to clip that out and stick to the actual story.


Last edited by eddie on Fri 4 May 2018 - 14:09; edited 1 time in total

_________________
INTELLIGENCE - “Not because you think you know everything without questioning, but rather because you question everything you think you know.”

Word. Cool
avatar
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 35772
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 48
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New rule -- NO COPYING AND PASTING THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

Post by Raggamuffin on Fri 4 May 2018 - 14:07

eddie wrote:Actually it isn’t laziness. I read an article before I post it and I know for a fact, using my example that 8 gave earlier, that everyone already knows what measles is and how it affects the patient, so I decide to clip that out and stick to the actual story.


Exactly, and if you have limited time to be on here, you don't want to be reading a load of irrelevant stuff.

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 31001
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New rule -- NO COPYING AND PASTING THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

Post by Original Quill on Fri 4 May 2018 - 14:13

Raggamuffin wrote:
eddie wrote:Actually it isn’t laziness. I read an article before I post it and I know for a fact, using my example that 8 gave earlier, that everyone already knows what measles is and how it affects the patient, so I decide to clip that out and stick to the actual story.


Exactly, and if you have limited time to be on here, you don't want to be reading a load of irrelevant stuff.

Two things:

1. You are not expected to read everything and comment upon it. I have whole sections that I ignore, or only occasionally visit.

2. If I find a post I want to respond to, I occasionally lift and paste it onto a word document, and come back to in the evening. Sometimes it fades because of staleness. But if it's important enough, it will wait.

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
avatar
Original Quill

Posts : 25026
Join date : 2013-12-18
Age : 53
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New rule -- NO COPYING AND PASTING THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

Post by Syl on Fri 4 May 2018 - 17:03

I am not getting in the middle of a row between Didge and Rags....
I di say long C& P posts, especially if the poster hasnt given their own opinion, are boring to me and I seldom read them.

I think people join forums to hear other posters opinions, if they wanted to simply read an article they would just  read the origional source of it.

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 16412
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New rule -- NO COPYING AND PASTING THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

Post by Raggamuffin on Fri 4 May 2018 - 17:05

Syl wrote:I am not getting in the middle of a row between Didge and Rags....
I di say long C& P posts, especially if the poster hasnt given their own opinion, are boring to me and I seldom read them.

I think people join forums to hear other posters opinions, if they wanted to simply read an article they would just  read the origional source of it.

I agree!

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 31001
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New rule -- NO COPYING AND PASTING THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

Post by Syl on Fri 4 May 2018 - 17:28

I cant help my text getting bigger....this tablet has a mind of its own.

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 16412
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New rule -- NO COPYING AND PASTING THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

Post by HoratioTarr on Sat 5 May 2018 - 3:56

Didge wrote:
eddie wrote:It’s about choice, didge. If you want to know more you click on the link.
It’s just that simple.

Did you actually read what I posted Eddie?

I am happy to click on the link, the issue is when that link has a paywall.


avatar
HoratioTarr

Posts : 8066
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: New rule -- NO COPYING AND PASTING THE ENTIRE ARTICLE

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum