Transgender woman forced to serve time in men's prison was raped within hours

Go down

Transgender woman forced to serve time in men's prison was raped within hours

Post by Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly on Thu May 03, 2018 11:00 pm



A transgender inmate says she was raped at a men’s prison hours after a judge threw out her request to block corrections officers from keeping her in a disciplinary unit.

Lindsay Saunders-Velez claims she had been threatened, harassed and assaulted since entering Colorado’s prison system last spring for violating her plea deal in a menacing case.

The prisoner filed a lawsuit against the state’s corrections agency in July, branding the system “discriminatory and dangerous” for transgender offenders.

Last month, her lawyers requested a judge not send Saunders-Velez to her jail’s “punishment pod” for a disciplinary infraction, saying she could end up with inmates who had tormented her.

The judge said the attorneys failed to prove an imminent risk, and rejected their request .

However, the 20-year-old was attacked during her time in the pod and needed more than a week in the infirmary recover, according to her attorney, Paula Greisen.

“This issue is not going to go away,” she said: “We’re going to fight it until these individuals are treated with the respect they deserve.”

Federal law requires prisons to individually asses where to house each transgender person, said Demoya Gordon, an attorney with LGBTQ+ advocacy group Lambda Legal’s transgender rights project.

But, she added, almost all facilities still housed inmates based on their genitalia or birth gender, resulting in many transgender women being abused or raped during their sentence.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/transgender-woman-apos-raped-men-130927168.html

This is what happens when you treat people who aren't really men as though they are.

_________________
"I just want a big fat fucking cake or some shit!"

~eddie, when she was hungry this one time
avatar
Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American People.

Posts : 23984
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 43
Location : La Ciudad de los Chingadores, Texas

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Transgender woman forced to serve time in men's prison was raped within hours

Post by Syl on Thu May 03, 2018 11:16 pm

The world has gone mad.

Not long ago a man who had previously commited rape was placed in a female prison, because he insisted on now identifying as a woman.

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 15495
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Transgender woman forced to serve time in men's prison was raped within hours

Post by gelico on Fri May 04, 2018 12:00 am

Syl wrote:The world has gone mad.

Not long ago a man who had previously commited rape  was placed in a female prison, because he insisted on  now identifying as a woman.

i agree it is insane

but as far as i understand the story in the OP, this lindsay is a trans woman, ie a bloke who wants to be a woman, but according to biology and the law of the land he is a man

a whole bunch of blokes get raped in prison, it's not a very nice place to be. was this inmate raped because he identified as a woman or despite it.

i may of course have completely misunderstood what's being said and actually have this story completely arse upwards, damned if i know

scratch

gelico

Posts : 1404
Join date : 2017-07-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Transgender woman forced to serve time in men's prison was raped within hours

Post by gelico on Fri May 04, 2018 12:39 am




sorry, considering the story, perhaps the term 'arse upwards' was a bit unfortunate

Rolling Eyes

gelico

Posts : 1404
Join date : 2017-07-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Transgender woman forced to serve time in men's prison was raped within hours

Post by Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly on Fri May 04, 2018 1:13 am

gelico wrote:
Syl wrote:The world has gone mad.

Not long ago a man who had previously commited rape  was placed in a female prison, because he insisted on  now identifying as a woman.

i agree it is insane

but as far as i understand the story in the OP, this lindsay is a trans woman, ie a bloke who wants to be a woman, but according to biology and the law of the land he is a man

a whole bunch of blokes get raped in prison, it's not a very nice place to be.  was this inmate raped because he identified as a woman or despite it.

i may of course have completely misunderstood what's being said and actually have this story completely arse upwards, damned if i know

scratch

Transgender women look like biological women quite often, and I think she was raped because she looks feminine, to be honest.

_________________
"I just want a big fat fucking cake or some shit!"

~eddie, when she was hungry this one time
avatar
Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American People.

Posts : 23984
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 43
Location : La Ciudad de los Chingadores, Texas

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Transgender woman forced to serve time in men's prison was raped within hours

Post by Raggamuffin on Fri May 04, 2018 11:08 pm

Is he/she a man or a woman?

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 30553
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Transgender woman forced to serve time in men's prison was raped within hours

Post by Eilzel on Sat May 05, 2018 1:23 am

Raggamuffin wrote:Is he/she a man or a woman?

Identifies as a woman. Seems to have been doing so for quite some time. There was a clear risk in putting her with men, a risk I'm sure the people who put her in there were aware of.

_________________
"Tolerance of intolerance is cowardice"

"People who fear demons see demons everywhere"

avatar
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Posts : 6213
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 32
Location : The Kingdom formerly known as Siam...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Transgender woman forced to serve time in men's prison was raped within hours

Post by Raggamuffin on Sat May 05, 2018 9:37 am

Eilzel wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:Is he/she a man or a woman?

Identifies as a woman. Seems to have been doing so for quite some time. There was a clear risk in putting her with men, a risk I'm sure the people who put her in there were aware of.

Thanks Les. I wasn't sure if she was biologically a woman who wanted to be a man, or the other way round. The men who raped her were actually raping a man then. I guess that happens anyway?

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 30553
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Transgender woman forced to serve time in men's prison was raped within hours

Post by HoratioTarr on Sat May 05, 2018 9:46 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

Identifies as a woman. Seems to have been doing so for quite some time. There was a clear risk in putting her with men, a risk I'm sure the people who put her in there were aware of.

Thanks Les. I wasn't sure if she was biologically a woman who wanted to be a man, or the other way round. The men who raped her were actually raping a man then. I guess that happens anyway?

More likely to happen if you look like a girl though, I'd say.

This brings up the subject of would a woman who identifies as a man, and wants to be treated as a man, be put in a male prison?
avatar
HoratioTarr

Posts : 8022
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Transgender woman forced to serve time in men's prison was raped within hours

Post by Eilzel on Sat May 05, 2018 10:39 am

HoratioTarr wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:
Eilzel wrote:

Identifies as a woman. Seems to have been doing so for quite some time. There was a clear risk in putting her with men, a risk I'm sure the people who put her in there were aware of.

Thanks Les. I wasn't sure if she was biologically a woman who wanted to be a man, or the other way round. The men who raped her were actually raping a man then. I guess that happens anyway?

More likely to happen if you look like a girl though, I'd say.

This brings  up the subject of would a woman who identifies as a man, and wants to be treated as a man, be put in a male prison?  

Much more likely...

Imo in your second case, my view is he would have to be put in a male prison. Though due to obvious dangers would probably require a secure unit.

_________________
"Tolerance of intolerance is cowardice"

"People who fear demons see demons everywhere"

avatar
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Posts : 6213
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 32
Location : The Kingdom formerly known as Siam...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Transgender woman forced to serve time in men's prison was raped within hours

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum