Male rape, one of the last taboos.

Go down

Male rape, one of the last taboos.

Post by Syl on Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:50 pm

I have a feeling that suddenly its going to be discussed far and wide.

One of the most popular characters (David Platt) in the most successful soap opera ever (Coronation street) was drugged and raped by his male fitness coach on Friday night. The aftermath will ensure that the topic is brought into the forefront for discussion.
Already victims of male rape are speaking out about their experiences for the first time.

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 16856
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Male rape, one of the last taboos.

Post by eddie on Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:12 pm

I would imagine it’s a very hard thing for a guy to admit to. I hope that Coronation Street broaches the subject properly.

_________________
INTELLIGENCE - “Not because you think you know everything without questioning, but rather because you question everything you think you know.”

Word. Cool
avatar
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 36022
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 48
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Male rape, one of the last taboos.

Post by Syl on Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:29 pm

eddie wrote:I would imagine it’s a very hard thing for a guy to admit to. I hope that Coronation Street broaches the subject properly.
I hope they will, by all accounts they have researched the subject and the aftermath well before they decided to include it.

Apparently there has been a lot of jokes about it on social media sites....probably one of the reasons men would find it hard to admit to.  
 

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/coronation-street-male-rape-david-platt_uk_5aacd447e4b0c33361b0a421

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 16856
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Male rape, one of the last taboos.

Post by eddie on Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:39 pm

Yes but you know how soaps are...on Monday someone is addicted to heroin and by Friday they’re over it.
They’re really bad at handling things with any real depth.

_________________
INTELLIGENCE - “Not because you think you know everything without questioning, but rather because you question everything you think you know.”

Word. Cool
avatar
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 36022
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 48
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Male rape, one of the last taboos.

Post by Syl on Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:53 pm

eddie wrote:Yes but you know how soaps are...on Monday someone is addicted to heroin and by Friday they’re over it.  
They’re really bad at handling things with any real depth.
Not on Corrie lately....if you ever watch it you will know how long some of the stories drag on...especially the Phelan one. Laughing

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 16856
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Male rape, one of the last taboos.

Post by Syl on Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:03 pm

What many people find surprising about male rape, many of the perpetrators are not gay.

Its hard to imagine that a straight man chooses male rape to gain power and control, not hard to imagine why the victim is often too ashamed to speak out.
On average 12000 men are raped in England and Wales every year.

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 16856
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Male rape, one of the last taboos.

Post by veya_victaous on Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:50 am

Syl wrote:What many people find surprising about male rape, many of the perpetrators are not gay.

Its hard to imagine that a straight man chooses male rape to gain power and control, not hard to imagine why the victim is often too ashamed to speak out.
On average 12000 men are raped in England and Wales every year.

they're Bisexual Wink


_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
avatar
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 18665
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 35
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Male rape, one of the last taboos.

Post by Syl on Mon Mar 19, 2018 12:53 am

veya_victaous wrote:
Syl wrote:What many people find surprising about male rape, many of the perpetrators are not gay.

Its hard to imagine that a straight man chooses male rape to gain power and control, not hard to imagine why the victim is often too ashamed to speak out.
On average 12000 men are raped in England and Wales every year.

they're Bisexual  Wink



Nope....some are some are not.

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 16856
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Male rape, one of the last taboos.

Post by veya_victaous on Mon Mar 19, 2018 4:28 am

Syl wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:
Syl wrote:What many people find surprising about male rape, many of the perpetrators are not gay.

Its hard to imagine that a straight man chooses male rape to gain power and control, not hard to imagine why the victim is often too ashamed to speak out.
On average 12000 men are raped in England and Wales every year.

they're Bisexual  Wink



Nope....some are some are not.

it doesn't matter what they say, If you have sexual relations with a member of the same sex you are homosexual or bisexual.

And Besides the other day I posted an article that says psychologist think everyone is a bit gay, they would be evidence of that. Wink

_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
avatar
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 18665
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 35
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Male rape, one of the last taboos.

Post by Syl on Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:14 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
Syl wrote:


Nope....some are some are not.

it doesn't matter what they say, If you have sexual relations with a member of the same sex you are homosexual or bisexual.

And Besides the other day I posted an article that says psychologist think everyone is a bit gay, they would be evidence of that. Wink

Research and experts would not agree with you...rape is all about power after all. Wink

I answered your thread the other day...I think the word I used was tosh. Razz

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 16856
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Male rape, one of the last taboos.

Post by magica on Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:35 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
Syl wrote:


Nope....some are some are not.

it doesn't matter what they say, If you have sexual relations with a member of the same sex you are homosexual or bisexual.

And Besides the other day I posted an article that says psychologist think everyone is a bit gay, they would be evidence of that. Wink

We're talking rape. That's not consensual, and nothing about being gay
avatar
magica

Posts : 3001
Join date : 2016-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Male rape, one of the last taboos.

Post by magica on Mon Mar 19, 2018 2:37 pm

I have to say I do think Corrie has lost its sparkle. I know they want to do real events, but its a soap, meant to be entertaining and Corries rape scene made me cringe and feel sick.

There should be serious programmes relating to this, not a soap opera tbh
avatar
magica

Posts : 3001
Join date : 2016-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Male rape, one of the last taboos.

Post by nicko on Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:39 pm

Why did they "hi-jack" the word Gay? iv always wondered.
avatar
nicko

Posts : 10258
Join date : 2013-12-07
Age : 77
Location : rainbow bridge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Male rape, one of the last taboos.

Post by Original Quill on Mon Mar 19, 2018 3:58 pm

nicko wrote:Why did they "hi-jack" the word Gay?  iv always wondered.

There are a lot of similar questions that I have about the same. Why is Gay acceptable but Fag is not? They are just three-letter words, innocuous enough on their own. Also, why is lesbian acceptable, but dyke not? Must be something about the derivation of the words that I'm not familiar with.

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars

Someone is above the rule of law in America.
avatar
Original Quill

Posts : 25541
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 53
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Male rape, one of the last taboos.

Post by Syl on Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:26 pm

magica wrote:I have to say I do think Corrie has lost its sparkle. I know they want to do real events, but its a soap, meant to be entertaining and Corries rape scene made me cringe and feel sick.

There should be serious programmes relating to this, not a soap opera tbh

The early years of Corrie are so far removed from todays that they could be two entirely different programmes.
I have watched it since I was a kid, and I still watch it and record it when we are not here.

The rape scene wasn't shown Mags, I thought they handled it well.
It will be interesting to see how they handle the after events....will David say anything?
Statistics show that on average 12000 men a year are raped in England and Wales....I wonder how many are reported, even spoken about.

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 16856
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Male rape, one of the last taboos.

Post by Syl on Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:27 pm

[quote="nicko"]Why did they "hi-jack" the word Gay?  iv always wondered.[/quote

Ooooh what a gay day....spoken by one of the gayest performers ever. Laughing

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 16856
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Male rape, one of the last taboos.

Post by magica on Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:39 pm

Syl wrote:
magica wrote:I have to say I do think Corrie has lost its sparkle. I know they want to do real events, but its a soap, meant to be entertaining and Corries rape scene made me cringe and feel sick.

There should be serious programmes relating to this, not a soap opera tbh

The early years of Corrie are so far removed from todays that they could be two entirely different programmes.
I have watched it since I was a kid, and I still watch it and record it when we are not here.

The rape scene wasn't shown Mags, I thought they handled it well.
It will be interesting to see how they handle the after events....will David say anything?
Statistics show that on average 12000 men a year are raped in England and Wales....I wonder how many are reported, even spoken about.

I know it wasn't seen, but David laying on his front and the rapist undoing his belt made me sick.

I rarely watch Corrie nowadays. It's as bad and depressing as Eastenders.
avatar
magica

Posts : 3001
Join date : 2016-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Male rape, one of the last taboos.

Post by magica on Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:41 pm

Syl wrote:
nicko wrote:Why did they "hi-jack" the word Gay?  iv always wondered.[/quote

Ooooh what a gay day....spoken by one of the gayest performers ever. Laughing

Gay or Gaye was a lovely girls name, no one will have that now.
avatar
magica

Posts : 3001
Join date : 2016-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Male rape, one of the last taboos.

Post by Syl on Mon Mar 19, 2018 5:46 pm

magica wrote:
Syl wrote:

The early years of Corrie are so far removed from todays that they could be two entirely different programmes.
I have watched it since I was a kid, and I still watch it and record it when we are not here.

The rape scene wasn't shown Mags, I thought they handled it well.
It will be interesting to see how they handle the after events....will David say anything?
Statistics show that on average 12000 men a year are raped in England and Wales....I wonder how many are reported, even spoken about.

I know it wasn't seen, but David laying on his front and the rapist undoing his belt made me sick.

I rarely watch Corrie nowadays. It's as bad and depressing as Eastenders.

Yeah....it was a relief when he kicked the door shut.

Do you remember the programme 'Queer as folk'? set in Manchesters gay village. Amazingly that was aired almost 20 years ago. Shocked

The gay sex scenes (no rape that I can recall) in that were about as explicit as you could get without watching porn.

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 16856
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Male rape, one of the last taboos.

Post by magica on Mon Mar 19, 2018 10:22 pm

No I can't remember that Syl. Shocked
avatar
magica

Posts : 3001
Join date : 2016-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Male rape, one of the last taboos.

Post by Syl on Mon Mar 19, 2018 11:46 pm

magica wrote:No I can't remember that Syl. Shocked

Did you watch tonights Corrie?
I thought it was very true to life, it was acted very well.

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 16856
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Male rape, one of the last taboos.

Post by veya_victaous on Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:49 am

magica wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:
Syl wrote:


Nope....some are some are not.

it doesn't matter what they say, If you have sexual relations with a member of the same sex you are homosexual or bisexual.

And Besides the other day I posted an article that says psychologist think everyone is a bit gay, they would be evidence of that. Wink

We're talking rape. That's not consensual, and nothing about being gay

we are talking about the Rapist not the victim Wink

_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
avatar
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 18665
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 35
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Male rape, one of the last taboos.

Post by veya_victaous on Tue Mar 20, 2018 3:53 am

nicko wrote:Why did they "hi-jack" the word Gay?  iv always wondered.

No idea what your talking about Razz Razz Razz Razz


_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
avatar
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 18665
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 35
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Male rape, one of the last taboos.

Post by Syl on Tue Mar 20, 2018 12:31 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
magica wrote:

We're talking rape. That's not consensual, and nothing about being gay

we are talking about the Rapist not the victim Wink




"Why would a man rape another man if they claim to be heterosexual?


Because rape has nothing whatsoever to do with sex. Part of the confusion people have about rape (probably because it can involve the same organs we use for sex) is that sex is involved but nothing could be more incorrect.
Rape is about power and control.
Rape is a crime of violence.
(From Laurel House.org): Many people believe that rape is a sexual act. Although rape involves sexual acts, it is motivated by the desire for power and control over another person rather than by sexual attraction or the desire for sexual gratification. In other words, rape is a crime of violence. Rape also occurs when someone forces or tricks another person into unwanted sexual activity, even if actual physical violence is not involved."


https://www.quora.com/Why-would-a-man-rape-another-man-if-they-claim-to-be-heterosexual

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 16856
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Male rape, one of the last taboos.

Post by magica on Tue Mar 20, 2018 4:59 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
magica wrote:

We're talking rape. That's not consensual, and nothing about being gay

we are talking about the Rapist not the victim Wink


Just because he rapes a man doesn't make the rapist gay. His victim is there whether woman or man. Sex is used to control, to abuse, to make their victims helpless. It's a hideous thing to do.
avatar
magica

Posts : 3001
Join date : 2016-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Male rape, one of the last taboos.

Post by Fred Moletrousers on Tue Mar 20, 2018 7:02 pm

magica wrote:
Syl wrote:

The early years of Corrie are so far removed from todays that they could be two entirely different programmes.
I have watched it since I was a kid, and I still watch it and record it when we are not here.

The rape scene wasn't shown Mags, I thought they handled it well.
It will be interesting to see how they handle the after events....will David say anything?
Statistics show that on average 12000 men a year are raped in England and Wales....I wonder how many are reported, even spoken about.

I know it wasn't seen, but David laying on his front and the rapist undoing his belt made me sick.

I rarely watch Corrie nowadays. It's as bad and depressing as Eastenders.

Ah, but think of the ratings.

To misquote the great Sir Bruce Forsyth: "What do ratings make? Profits!"
avatar
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Posts : 2112
Join date : 2014-01-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Male rape, one of the last taboos.

Post by veya_victaous on Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:24 pm

magica wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:
magica wrote:

We're talking rape. That's not consensual, and nothing about being gay

we are talking about the Rapist not the victim Wink


Just because he rapes a man doesn't make the rapist gay. His victim is there whether woman or man. Sex is used to control, to abuse, to make their victims helpless. It's a hideous thing to do.

I don't think a man could get an erection over another man if he wasn't at least some what gay, Even if he is aroused by the 'control/dominance' to want to do that to a man is within the spectrum of gay.

And Guys rape drunk girls all the time for sexual gratification so the idea that rapist are all about control is not true. they just have no respect for their victim but too some men a drunk girl is just a 'piece of meat'

Besides Everyone is a bit gay. Wink despite Syl denying it. Razz Razz Razz

_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
avatar
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 18665
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 35
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Male rape, one of the last taboos.

Post by Syl on Tue Mar 20, 2018 10:35 pm

Speak for yourself Veya. Wink

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 16856
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Male rape, one of the last taboos.

Post by Syl on Thu Mar 22, 2018 9:46 pm

Since the David Platt rape last week on Coronation Street, a national helpline for men who have been sexually abused has received a 1700% rise in calls from men who want to talk about what has happened to them.

Within the first 15 minutes of the programme ending they received several emails from men asking for help and advice.

Its good that a soap opera can open up the opportunity for men to talk about what is still a very taboo subject.

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 16856
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Male rape, one of the last taboos.

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum