Will Texas go blue?

Go down

Will Texas go blue?

Post by Original Quill on Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:34 pm

Election day tomorrow, Tuesday, March 6, 2018, could be an early forecaster of the mood of the country.  Let's keep an eye out for 'em. Shocked  

Already, in early voting, Democratic turnout is up by 25%.  Republican turnout is in single digits, as enthusiasm wanes. Maybe a strong pissed-off factor?

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Will Texas go blue?

Post by Maddog on Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:07 am

Original Quill wrote:Election day tomorrow, Tuesday, March 6, 2018, could be an early forecaster of the mood of the country.  Let's keep an eye out for 'em. Shocked  

Already, in early voting, Democratic turnout is up by 25%.  Republican turnout is in single digits, as enthusiasm wanes.  Maybe a strong pissed-off factor?

Dem voting is up by more than that. Rep voting is up by a smaller figure. There will be some contested races come this fall, no doubt. Trump has helped to make a few Dems palatable, even in Texas.

But I still think, the old adage of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", will supersede the new adage of "Trumps a lunatic".

Henry David Thoreau
Maddog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:29 am

Maddog wrote:
Original Quill wrote:Election day tomorrow, Tuesday, March 6, 2018, could be an early forecaster of the mood of the country.  Let's keep an eye out for 'em. Shocked  

Already, in early voting, Democratic turnout is up by 25%.  Republican turnout is in single digits, as enthusiasm wanes.  Maybe a strong pissed-off factor?

Dem voting is up by more than that. Rep voting is up by a smaller figure.  There will be some contested races come this fall, no doubt. Trump has helped to make a few Dems palatable, even in Texas.

Thanks for filling in the numbers. I was typing as I was getting data from the TV, and didn't get all of it.

Maddog wrote:But I still think, the old adage of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", will supersede the new adage of "Trumps a lunatic".

We don't know if it's broke or not, as the Republican Congress and Senate has refused to even show up for work.

Off-year congressional elections do tend to be a referendum on the administration. If that's the premise we are working under, anything goes. From pussy-grabbing to paying off prostitutes; from appeasing Russians, while abusing Puerto Ricans; from refusing to protect children from guns in our schools, to going into mega-debt for the rich...the voters will have a lot to chew on.

Tomorrow it begins. What do you think? What's out there that voters could cheer over?

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Tue Mar 06, 2018 12:52 am

Original Quill wrote:
Maddog wrote:

Dem voting is up by more than that. Rep voting is up by a smaller figure.  There will be some contested races come this fall, no doubt. Trump has helped to make a few Dems palatable, even in Texas.

Thanks for filling in the numbers.  I was typing as I was getting data from the TV, and didn't get all of it.

Maddog wrote:But I still think, the old adage of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it", will supersede the new adage of "Trumps a lunatic".

We don't know if it's broke or not, as the Republican Congress and Senate has refused to even show up for work.

Off-year congressional elections do tend to be a referendum on the administration.  If that's the premise we are working under, anything goes.  From pussy-grabbing to paying off prostitutes; from appeasing Russians, while abusing Puerto Ricans; from refusing to protect children from guns in our schools, to going into mega-debt for the rich...the voters will have a lot to chew on.

Tomorrow it begins.  What do you think?  What's out there that voters could cheer over?

Texas isn't broke, and this is just the primaries. Early voting has been gaining in popularity so more votes this time around makes sense.

The republicans don't have any real big races to excite the public except maybe for land commissioner as George P is running against a conservative.

Henry David Thoreau
Maddog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Tue Mar 06, 2018 2:56 am

Maddog wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Thanks for filling in the numbers.  I was typing as I was getting data from the TV, and didn't get all of it.

Off-year congressional elections do tend to be a referendum on the administration.  If that's the premise we are working under, anything goes.  From pussy-grabbing to paying off prostitutes; from appeasing Russians, while abusing Puerto Ricans; from refusing to protect children from guns in our schools, to going into mega-debt for the rich...the voters will have a lot to chew on.

Tomorrow it begins.  What do you think?  What's out there that voters could cheer over?

Texas isn't broke, and this is just the primaries. Early voting has been gaining in popularity so more votes this time around makes sense.  

But that doesn't answer the question as to the disparity between parties at this juncture.  Do you think this is just an early voting anomaly?   If so, could you explain the internal mechanics that would produce such an anomaly?

Maddog wrote:The republicans don't have any real big races to excite the public except maybe for land commissioner as George P is running against a conservative.  

And the Democrats do?  How is it that there is such a disparity between Democrats and Republicans in the early voting turn-out numbers?  I mean, if you're saying that exciting races --> leads to greater turnout ("republicans don't have any real big races to excite..."), thus, higher turnout for Democrats  = Democrats have races that are more exciting for them, that means Democrats are going to win, eh?  I'm just trying to figure this out.

Either way, it will be exciting to watch.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:28 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/06/latest-buzz-builds-for-orourke-among-texas-democrats.html

Beto has the Dems very excited.

Henry David Thoreau
Maddog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:12 am

The turn-out numbers tell the tale:

Democrats: +125%

Republicans: +15%

Somp'in them cowboys don' like.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Wed Mar 07, 2018 2:40 am

Texas blue wins. cheers So happy ...

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:15 am

Original Quill wrote:Texas blue wins.  cheers   So happy ...

It's a primary. What you have to understand is that in many parts of Texas, there have been no Dems to vote for as Reps ran unopposed. Primary day was just the day the Reps decided which Rep was going to run un opposed. Then in other districts, there was only one Dem, so there was no need for Dems to vote during the primaries. Their candidate was already chosen. This year, there has been a concerted effort to give Dems someone to vote for, and more than one choice in each election. The Dems actually had a reason to vote.

But there is no doubt, that Reps will have more than a cakewalk this fall, thanks to Trump.

Henry David Thoreau
Maddog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:03 pm

Long and short is that many more Dems showed up than last time. But that still left them with a turnout that was half of what the Reps had.

But the Dems did actually field a candidate in every house race for the first time in years. Wink

Henry David Thoreau
Maddog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down