NHS 'should consider forcing doctors to pay back training costs if they quit'

Go down

NHS 'should consider forcing doctors to pay back training costs if they quit'

Post by Didge on Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:54 am

Junior doctors who go abroad to work after benefiting from £220,000 worth of world class training should be forced to pay back some of their costs to the NHS, healthcare leaders say.

Niall Dickson, the head of the NHS Confederation, which represents senior managers, said shortages of staff were now the most pressing concern facing the health service, as he called for major changes to retain more medics.

The former head of the General Medical Council said the NHS should consider forcing doctors to remain loyal to the NHS, by making them commit to at least four years’ service, as happens in the military.

Jeremy Hunt, the health and social care secretary, floated similar ideas at the Conservative Party conference in Autumn 2016, when he set out plans to train an extra 1,500 doctors a year.

However, the idea of penalties for those who leave Britain soon after completing medical school was put...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/01/20/nhs-should-consider-forcing-doctors-pay-back-training-costs/

They should have a clause in their contract to pay all the money back if they get up and leave within ten years after being trained within the NHS.

_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 9763
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NHS 'should consider forcing doctors to pay back training costs if they quit'

Post by nicko on Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:31 am

I.v always thought that Didge, 100% correct !
avatar
nicko

Posts : 9429
Join date : 2013-12-07
Age : 77
Location : rainbow bridge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NHS 'should consider forcing doctors to pay back training costs if they quit'

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:03 am



I reckon they should be billed a "student contribution debt" (not necessarily the whole cost of their education, but maybe the amount could be that portion above the cost of an average uni' education over there...).

If they agree to work for another 5 years within the NHS after completing their hospital internship,  that debt would be paid off..

If they leave early, they repay 20% of that debt for each year that they shortchange the system.  At commercial rates of interest on any overdue debts.

Not only would that help the NHS;  but those young doctors could also be gaining a wider range of practical hospital experiences..

_________________
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Our life is frittered away by details. Simplify, simplify.
The mass of men lead lives of quite desperation.
Henry David Thoreau
avatar
WhoseYourWolfie

Posts : 5679
Join date : 2016-02-24
Age : 60
Location : Lake Macquarie, NSW, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NHS 'should consider forcing doctors to pay back training costs if they quit'

Post by Didge on Sun Jan 21, 2018 10:50 am

nicko wrote:I.v always thought that Didge,   100% correct !


Agreed mate. I think we have to look to protect what we pay out for when people take advantage of the system to then only think of themselves to exploit how we help them. Only for them to abuse that and only think of money. I thought people go into medical training to help and care for people. Sadly it seems now its more about money.

@Good points Wolf

_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 9763
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NHS 'should consider forcing doctors to pay back training costs if they quit'

Post by Jules on Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:44 pm

Didge wrote:Junior doctors who go abroad to work after benefiting from £220,000 worth of world class training should be forced to pay back some of their costs to the NHS, healthcare leaders say.

Niall Dickson, the head of the NHS Confederation, which represents senior managers, said shortages of staff were now the most pressing concern facing the health service, as he called for major changes to retain more medics.

The former head of the General Medical Council said the NHS should consider forcing doctors to remain loyal to the NHS, by making them commit to at least four years’ service, as happens in the military.

Jeremy Hunt, the health and social care secretary, floated similar ideas at the Conservative Party conference in Autumn 2016, when he set out plans to train an extra 1,500 doctors a year.

However, the idea of penalties for those who leave Britain soon after completing medical school was put...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/01/20/nhs-should-consider-forcing-doctors-pay-back-training-costs/

They should have a clause in their contract to pay all the money back if they get up and leave within ten years after being trained within the NHS.

Yes, makes sense.
Works both ways tho .... the NHS and the economy has done very well out of foreign medics & nurses whose own countries spent a fortune training them. The govt saved a lot of money in this way.   They come over here for better pay and a better standard of life, but their own govts are the losers here.

_________________
Make your stumbles part of the dance
avatar
Jules

Posts : 2375
Join date : 2016-07-30
Location : Vantage Point

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NHS 'should consider forcing doctors to pay back training costs if they quit'

Post by veya_victaous on Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:32 pm

Jules wrote:
Didge wrote:Junior doctors who go abroad to work after benefiting from £220,000 worth of world class training should be forced to pay back some of their costs to the NHS, healthcare leaders say.

Niall Dickson, the head of the NHS Confederation, which represents senior managers, said shortages of staff were now the most pressing concern facing the health service, as he called for major changes to retain more medics.

The former head of the General Medical Council said the NHS should consider forcing doctors to remain loyal to the NHS, by making them commit to at least four years’ service, as happens in the military.

Jeremy Hunt, the health and social care secretary, floated similar ideas at the Conservative Party conference in Autumn 2016, when he set out plans to train an extra 1,500 doctors a year.

However, the idea of penalties for those who leave Britain soon after completing medical school was put...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/01/20/nhs-should-consider-forcing-doctors-pay-back-training-costs/

They should have a clause in their contract to pay all the money back if they get up and leave within ten years after being trained within the NHS.

Yes, makes sense.
Works both ways tho .... the NHS and the economy has done very well out of foreign medics & nurses whose own countries spent a fortune training them.  The govt saved a lot of money in this way.   They come over here for better pay and a better standard of life, but their own govts are the losers here.

holy fuck a British person that understands how the global economy works affraid affraid affraid affraid


And that is why Ideas like this are obsolete. You'd need to charge the student and have them owe a debt first but then that would affect the amount that went into training in the first place. and there is always somewhere else willing to fill a niche that is left vacant.

_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
avatar
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 17821
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 35
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NHS 'should consider forcing doctors to pay back training costs if they quit'

Post by Didge on Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:35 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
Jules wrote:

Yes, makes sense.
Works both ways tho .... the NHS and the economy has done very well out of foreign medics & nurses whose own countries spent a fortune training them.  The govt saved a lot of money in this way.   They come over here for better pay and a better standard of life, but their own govts are the losers here.

holy fuck a British person that understands how the global economy works affraid affraid affraid affraid


And that is why Ideas like this are obsolete. You'd need to charge the student and have them owe a debt first but then that would affect the amount that went into training in the first place. and there is always somewhere else willing to fill a niche that is left vacant.


I very much doubt it if you then create equality within the world

They will have no need to come here and like many British Doctors just head to where they are paid that much more.

Hence the idea is not obsolete

Many British doctors recieve training based off the tax payers money and then leave

I have no problem iff they do leave, but they should pay that money back

_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 9763
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NHS 'should consider forcing doctors to pay back training costs if they quit'

Post by veya_victaous on Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:58 pm

the only option is to pay them more to keep them.

yeah sure you could make it so less people train as doctors in the UK but that's it. it doesn't mean you'll have more doctors and may cause the UK to have even less doctors, except for those it is taking from else where, which is why the idea is hypocritical since the NHS accepts foreign trained doctors.
Of course less Doctors trained means less Doctors in the Market so the Higher their market value and therefore remuneration.

_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
avatar
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 17821
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 35
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NHS 'should consider forcing doctors to pay back training costs if they quit'

Post by Didge on Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:01 am

veya_victaous wrote:the only option is to pay them more to keep them.

yeah sure you could make it so less people train as doctors in the UK but that's it. it doesn't mean you'll have more doctors and may cause the UK to have even less doctors, except for those it is taking from else where, which is why the idea is hypocritical since the NHS accepts foreign trained doctors.
Of course less Doctors trained means less Doctors in the Market so the Higher their market value and therefore remuneration.


I disagree Veya on your point of pay and its because of this why we see people actually leave
Many people do go into the proffession because they care. They are lured away though with better pay and benefits. It takes over a decade to train a doctor here and why they are so vauled

I see no problem that they pay back for their training. I think all people should pay for further training

_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 9763
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NHS 'should consider forcing doctors to pay back training costs if they quit'

Post by nicko on Mon Jan 22, 2018 6:23 am

A lot of our Doctors and Nurses are lured to Australia for the higher wages,

the Aussies should pay us for training them. Laughing
avatar
nicko

Posts : 9429
Join date : 2013-12-07
Age : 77
Location : rainbow bridge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NHS 'should consider forcing doctors to pay back training costs if they quit'

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Mon Jan 22, 2018 8:02 am

nicko wrote:A lot of our Doctors and Nurses are lured to Australia for the higher wages,

the Aussies should pay us for training them. Laughing

Idea

Just think of all that broader work experience and extra training that those who eventually return home will have.

Britain and Ireland are popular destinations for uni' trained nurses from Oz, NZ and Canada -- so it is two-way travel there..

_________________
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Our life is frittered away by details. Simplify, simplify.
The mass of men lead lives of quite desperation.
Henry David Thoreau
avatar
WhoseYourWolfie

Posts : 5679
Join date : 2016-02-24
Age : 60
Location : Lake Macquarie, NSW, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NHS 'should consider forcing doctors to pay back training costs if they quit'

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum