Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by HoratioTarr on Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:44 am

A climber has been bombarded with hate messages after he abandoned his elderly dog on a Scottish mountain when she collapsed during a hike.

Paul Finnegan, of Shotts in North Lanarkshire, Scotland, was walking along the 3,074ft Beinn Sgulaird mountain when his Border Collie, Meg, lost the use of her legs.

The owner made the heartbreaking decision to leave the 12-year-old pet behind after he and his friend struggled to carry her against the horrendous wind and rain.

Morag McNeill lashed out at Paul on Facebook, writing: 'I am actually raging and sad at the same time. I am naming and shaming this absolute a******.

'Paul Finnegan from Shotts, took his border collie Meg up Beinn Sgulaird at the weekend. She got tired and her legs gave way, she's 12, and he left her up there to die.

'Anybody who knows him please tell him what a vile person he is. He doesn't deserve the love of a dog.'

Heidi Blasius wrote: 'Poor judgment and not a lick of common sense. Failed this dog.'

Another commented: 'How on earth can anyone walk away from their pet and just leave it? I would move heaven and earth and always find SOME way to rescue my dog if needed, she's more important than me. Animals rely on their owners to look after them, how can you just walk away?'

Karen Mills was equally disgusted: 'Every time I read something on Missing Megs group I get more and more angry towards the owner.

'That poor dog would never of left his side if it was him that was hurt. He should be prosecuted for abandonment and neglect. K*******!'

Dorothy Dot Marshall commented: 'It was an act of pure cruelty. It is against the law to let any animal suffer, only a coward would do that.'

And Emma Hardy wrote: 'I can't believe the amount of people defending the heartless s***, people are risking their lives to try to find her and he's just going about his usual week.'

Yet relatives hit back at the scathing comments, imploring people to understand how difficult the decision was to make.

Family member Holli McGowan said: 'Paul never left Meg for dead. Paul had no signal and tried his hardest to carry her. Between him and his friend he carried her for as long as possible while falling and fighting against the wind and rain.

'Paul went to get help, so please until you know the full story, stop listening to people's bulls because I am sick to the back teeth of hearing so many nasty comments.'

Another relative confirmed that Paul would be returning to the mountain today to continue the search.

Meg has been missing since January 14.

A relative of Paul's posted on Lost Dogs Glasgow the following day and said: 'My family member was up Beinn Sgulaird mountain yesterday with his dog. His dog's back legs gave way and he tried everything to get her off safe but it was too dangerous with the weather and it was getting dark, so he had no other option but to leave her.

'He came off the mountain and slept in his car till first light and tried to go up and find her, but can't find her, as it was too dark last night they can't remember where she is.'

Not every response has been negative and dozens of volunteers continue to search Beinn Sgulaird.

The local mountain rescue team believe the dog could still be alive but are not prepared to put their own members' safety at risk to search for the pet reportedly.

But a crowdfunding page was set up to help fuel those searching and has smashed the original target of £500 by more than double the amount.

However, frustration grew when it was revealed that the first map of Meg's location was incorrect - with volunteers 'risking their lives on the wrong part of the mountain'.

Andy Ravenhill, Oban Mountain Rescue Team Leader, said that the criticism levelled at the dog owner was harsh.

He added: 'It wasn't the right choice or wrong choice. No one can really tell what they would do in that situation until they are in it. 'It would have been a really hard decision to make, and he will just have to live with it either way.'




http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5289949/Climber-inundated-hate-messages-abandons-dog.html
avatar
HoratioTarr

Posts : 8081
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by Syl on Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:51 am

Why did he take an old dog on such a challenging treck?

That was the first mistake he made.

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 16478
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by HoratioTarr on Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:57 am

I have a few questions.

Two grown men can't carry a Collie down a mountain. Two fit experienced climbers?

Would they have abandoned each other or a child up there?

What was he thinking taking an elderly dog up a mountain in sub zero temperatures?

Why didn't he find a sheltered spot to leave his dog?

how come, days after leaving his dog, he suddenly finds the body and can bring it down?

Wild horses wouldn't make me leave my dog to die alone. You can bet the dog wouldn't have left him!

Heartbreaking.

avatar
HoratioTarr

Posts : 8081
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by HoratioTarr on Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:07 am

Syl wrote:Why did he take an old dog on such a challenging treck?

That was the first mistake he made.

This Facebook post from someone who knows the area.

I can't understand how on Sunday 14th he walked off that mountain without her because they couldn't carry her. Then doesn't go back looking for her until today 19th at 2pm when the search had been announced as ending at 3pm and finds her within minutes. Also how did they manage to carry her off mountain today? Weather was alot worse. The search team on Monday was even giving the wrong directions. There is more to this than just a dog that's legs gave in. It breaks my heart. X
avatar
HoratioTarr

Posts : 8081
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by HoratioTarr on Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:09 am

Syl wrote:Why did he take an old dog on such a challenging treck?

That was the first mistake he made.

Exactly! To make things even more fishy, he put a post on his Facebook with photos saying that the same area was too much for his old dog to negotiate.

Makes you wonder if he didn't want the poor old girl dead, and thought exposing her to the elements might do the trick.

It's very odd.
avatar
HoratioTarr

Posts : 8081
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by HoratioTarr on Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:09 am

He's had to close down his Facebook as people have gone mental with him.
avatar
HoratioTarr

Posts : 8081
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by Syl on Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:30 am

Its a long time since I owned a dog, I can still remember how much I loved her and how devastated I was when she was so ill and old she had to be put to sleep.
No one who loves their dog would put them in a dangerous situation, he did, so he should have stayed with her, or broke his bloody back if need be to get her home.

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 16478
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:26 am

Evil or Very Mad

1.  People keep on referring to him as a "climber"...

He wasn't any type of climber (people don't take animals climbing with them, especially not old animals..), but merely somebody strolling up a mountain track..

2.  He isn't even an experienced hiker/rambler,  from all accounts..

He is basically a stupid, weak, cowardly twat --  heartless fools like him shouldn't even be allowed to own pets, nor be allowed to go out wandering off on his own.

3.  Those friends and relatives defending him online, are just as stupid and weak as he is..

4.  What sort of unfeeling fuckwit is he, anyway, as to be reliving his gross stupidity, carelessness and lack of remorse on Facebook, of all things  ???

_________________
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Our life is frittered away by details. Simplify, simplify.
The mass of men lead lives of quite desperation.
Henry David Thoreau
avatar
WhoseYourWolfie

Posts : 6167
Join date : 2016-02-24
Age : 60
Location : Lake Macquarie, NSW, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by Cass on Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:22 am

Poor dog Sad

_________________
Do you think you'll be the guy - to make the Queen of the Angels sigh?
avatar
Cass
the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

Posts : 5312
Join date : 2014-01-19
Age : 50

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by HoratioTarr on Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:35 am

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:Evil or Very Mad

1.  People keep on referring to him as a "climber"...

He wasn't any type of climber (people don't take animals climbing with them, especially not old animals..), but merely somebody strolling up a mountain track..

2.  He isn't even an experienced hiker/rambler,  from all accounts..

He is basically a stupid, weak, cowardly twat --  heartless fools like him shouldn't even be allowed to own pets, nor be allowed to go out wandering off on his own.

3.  Those friends and relatives defending him online, are just as stupid and weak as he is..

4.  What sort of unfeeling fuckwit is he, anyway, as to be reliving his gross stupidity, carelessness and lack of remorse on Facebook, of all things  ???

According to his facebook he walked that route all the time. So he knew it, and knew his dog couldn't do it.
avatar
HoratioTarr

Posts : 8081
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by magica on Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:34 am

Bloody idiot of the man. I despise people like him.

I would never had left my dog, if I couldn't carry her I would've found somewhere we could stay together.

Tbh I would've crawled with her, this man is disgusting.
avatar
magica

Posts : 2972
Join date : 2016-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Sat Jan 20, 2018 12:22 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
WhoseYourWolfie wrote:Evil or Very Mad

1.  People keep on referring to him as a "climber"...

He wasn't any type of climber (people don't take animals climbing with them, especially not old animals..), but merely somebody strolling up a mountain track..

2.  He isn't even an experienced hiker/rambler,  from all accounts..

He is basically a stupid, weak, cowardly twat --  heartless fools like him shouldn't even be allowed to own pets, nor be allowed to go out wandering off on his own.

3.  Those friends and relatives defending him online, are just as stupid and weak as he is..

4.  What sort of unfeeling fuckwit is he, anyway, as to be reliving his gross stupidity, carelessness and lack of remorse on Facebook, of all things  ???

According to his facebook he walked that route all the time.   So he knew it, and knew his dog couldn't do it.

Surprised

Which makes it look more and more like he wanted his dog to die !?!

_________________
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Our life is frittered away by details. Simplify, simplify.
The mass of men lead lives of quite desperation.
Henry David Thoreau
avatar
WhoseYourWolfie

Posts : 6167
Join date : 2016-02-24
Age : 60
Location : Lake Macquarie, NSW, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by HoratioTarr on Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:28 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

According to his facebook he walked that route all the time.   So he knew it, and knew his dog couldn't do it.

Surprised

Which makes it look more and more like he wanted his dog to die  !?!

A lot of people on social media are saying he took the dog up either deliberately to let it die, or it died and he was too appalled to admit he'd put an elderly dog's life on the line with his own stupidity, so he pretended he had to leave it. Either way, many rescuers went up that mountain to try and find her while he disappeared only to appear a few days later and get straight to her body.
avatar
HoratioTarr

Posts : 8081
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by HoratioTarr on Sat Jan 20, 2018 2:28 pm

magica wrote:Bloody idiot of the man. I despise people like him.

I would never had left my dog, if I couldn't carry her I would've found somewhere we could stay together.

Tbh I would've crawled with her, this man is disgusting.

There's a petition to get to the truth. Nearly 2K people have signed it!
avatar
HoratioTarr

Posts : 8081
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by Vintage on Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:02 pm

She probably would have tried to follow them, dragging herself along if she had too. This man appears to have been in experienced and ill equipped, not to mention arrogant and should never have taken a dog of her age to such a place, the back legs don't suddenly go, as a dog owner you should know your dog and notice any changes, especially having her for 12 years . If the weather was that bad they should have dug in and waited it out, with the right equpment of course. Trying to get off a mountain in really bad weather is probably more dangerous than sitting it out. Its better to stay together but the other man could have got back to the cars and raised the alarm if necessary. If the weather was that bad I doubt they'd have made it back to the car.

Vintage

Posts : 1140
Join date : 2013-08-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by magica on Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:29 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
magica wrote:Bloody idiot of the man. I despise people like him.

I would never had left my dog, if I couldn't carry her I would've found somewhere we could stay together.

Tbh I would've crawled with her, this man is disgusting.

There's a petition to get to the truth.   Nearly 2K people have signed it!

Ok I will try and find it, thanx.
avatar
magica

Posts : 2972
Join date : 2016-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by *THE Ben Reilly* on Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:00 pm

I HATE stories like this!!!


_________________
“She's a well thought-out plan and I don't know how it happened.”

Eli Young
avatar
*THE Ben Reilly*
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 24445
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 43
Location : Jamás Bese el Culo Del Jefe, Texas

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by gelico on Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:08 pm

magica wrote:Bloody idiot of the man. I despise people like him.

I would never had left my dog, if I couldn't carry her I would've found somewhere we could stay together.

Tbh I would've crawled with her, this man is disgusting.


Dogs are loyal, faithful and loving companions.

I totally agree 100% with you Mags

gelico

Posts : 1559
Join date : 2017-07-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by gelico on Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:10 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:I HATE stories like this!!!



ah, ben - is this your own waggy woof?

gelico

Posts : 1559
Join date : 2017-07-07

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by eddie on Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:20 pm

I am not sure why two grown men couldn’t carry a dog - they could’ve strapped the dog to their backs if necessary, surely?

Having said that, I wouldn’t give up my life for my dog. If it was a choice of dying with the dog or surviving I’d leave the dog behind, but I’d sure give it a good shot to carry him first, or even a makeshift sled and pull him along.

He should never have taken an old dog on a trek like that anyway, it’s selfish.

_________________
INTELLIGENCE - “Not because you think you know everything without questioning, but rather because you question everything you think you know.”

Word. Cool
avatar
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 35828
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 48
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by eddie on Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:41 pm

gelico wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:I HATE stories like this!!!



ah, ben - is this your own waggy woof?


Yeah he’s a real cutie. He partied with us most nights but there was one night when he looked at us in disgust and rolled his eyes and fucked off into the bedroom and left us dancing and singing. He did not seem impressed as it was about 6am.

_________________
INTELLIGENCE - “Not because you think you know everything without questioning, but rather because you question everything you think you know.”

Word. Cool
avatar
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 35828
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 48
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by Maddog on Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:55 pm

Perhaps they were vegetarians and the lack of protein in their diet made carrying a 30 pound dog impossible?

_________________
Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty. The obedient must be slaves.

Henry David Thoreau
avatar
Maddog

Posts : 2831
Join date : 2017-09-23
Location : Texas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by eddie on Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:07 pm

Maddog wrote:Perhaps they were vegetarians and the lack of protein in their diet made carrying a 30 pound dog impossible?

You know that there are body builders that are vegetarians, right?

_________________
INTELLIGENCE - “Not because you think you know everything without questioning, but rather because you question everything you think you know.”

Word. Cool
avatar
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 35828
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 48
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by magica on Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:28 pm

Many are veggies nowadays, don't mean their weak.
avatar
magica

Posts : 2972
Join date : 2016-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by Vintage on Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:34 pm

Why should veggies be weak? There are an hell of a lot of vegetarians in this world and they aren't all pale skinny weaklings, I can assure you of that.

Vintage

Posts : 1140
Join date : 2013-08-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by eddie on Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:38 pm

Vintage wrote:Why should veggies be weak? There are an hell of a lot of vegetarians in this world and they aren't all pale skinny weaklings, I can assure you of that.


Well said Flix. Totally agree.

_________________
INTELLIGENCE - “Not because you think you know everything without questioning, but rather because you question everything you think you know.”

Word. Cool
avatar
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 35828
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 48
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by *THE Ben Reilly* on Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:54 pm

gelico wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:I HATE stories like this!!!



ah, ben - is this your own waggy woof?

Yep!

_________________
“She's a well thought-out plan and I don't know how it happened.”

Eli Young
avatar
*THE Ben Reilly*
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 24445
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 43
Location : Jamás Bese el Culo Del Jefe, Texas

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by Maddog on Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:37 pm

Vintage wrote:Why should veggies be weak? There are an hell of a lot of vegetarians in this world and they aren't all pale skinny weaklings, I can assure you of that.

No, there's the odd exception. Wink

_________________
Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty. The obedient must be slaves.

Henry David Thoreau
avatar
Maddog

Posts : 2831
Join date : 2017-09-23
Location : Texas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by Maddog on Sat Jan 20, 2018 9:39 pm

eddie wrote:
Maddog wrote:Perhaps they were vegetarians and the lack of protein in their diet made carrying a 30 pound dog impossible?

You know that there are body builders that are vegetarians, right?
Yep, and for the most part they are prima donnas that would die after 10 minutes of CrossFit.

_________________
Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty. The obedient must be slaves.

Henry David Thoreau
avatar
Maddog

Posts : 2831
Join date : 2017-09-23
Location : Texas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by Original Quill on Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:37 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:
gelico wrote:


ah, ben - is this your own waggy woof?

Yep!

Is your pup putting on a little girth, pal? Evil or Very Mad

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
avatar
Original Quill

Posts : 25088
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 53
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by HoratioTarr on Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:56 pm

Vintage wrote:She probably would have tried to follow them, dragging herself along if she had too. This man appears to have been in experienced and ill equipped, not to mention arrogant and should never have taken a dog of her age to such a place, the back legs don't suddenly go, as a dog owner you should know your dog and notice any changes, especially having her for 12 years . If the weather was that bad they should have dug in and waited it out, with the right equpment of course. Trying to get off a mountain in really bad weather is probably more dangerous than sitting it out. Its better to stay together but the other man could have got back to the cars and raised the alarm if necessary. If the weather was that bad I doubt they'd have made it back to the car.

Apparently there were old cottages up there. Why didn't he tie her up and leave her in one of those?
avatar
HoratioTarr

Posts : 8081
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by HoratioTarr on Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:58 pm

eddie wrote:I am not sure why two grown men couldn’t carry a dog - they could’ve strapped the dog to their backs if necessary, surely?

Having said that, I wouldn’t give up my life for my dog. If it was a choice of dying with the dog or surviving I’d leave the dog behind, but I’d sure give it a good shot to carry him first, or even a makeshift sled and pull him along.

He should never have taken an old dog on a trek like that anyway, it’s selfish.

I really couldn't live with myself if I did that. I'd be forever haunted by what I'd done. Would you do that with a child? To many, including me, our dogs are like children. If he'd have done that the rescue services would have immediately come out to him.
avatar
HoratioTarr

Posts : 8081
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by HoratioTarr on Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:00 pm

Maddog wrote:Perhaps they were vegetarians and the lack of protein in their diet made carrying a 30 pound dog impossible?

Rolling Eyes
avatar
HoratioTarr

Posts : 8081
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by HoratioTarr on Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:22 pm

magica wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

There's a petition to get to the truth.   Nearly 2K people have signed it!

Ok I will try and find it, thanx.

https://www.change.org/p/scottish-society-for-prevention-of-cruelty-to-animals-investigation-into-meg-s-death
avatar
HoratioTarr

Posts : 8081
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by Maddog on Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:34 am

HoratioTarr wrote:
Maddog wrote:Perhaps they were vegetarians and the lack of protein in their diet made carrying a 30 pound dog impossible?

Rolling Eyes

Do you have a better explanation? tongue

_________________
Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty. The obedient must be slaves.

Henry David Thoreau
avatar
Maddog

Posts : 2831
Join date : 2017-09-23
Location : Texas

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:44 am

Maddog wrote:
eddie wrote:

You know that there are body builders that are vegetarians, right?
Yep, and for the most part they are prima donnas that would die after 10 minutes of CrossFit.

Rolling Eyes

'CrossFit'  is for girly-men too scared to lift real weights;
Real Men jog, bike or paddle for their cardio' fitness...

Even serious bodybuilders only need around 20--25% of their calories coming from protein sources..

"Crossfit" dudes can survive on 10--15% if they balance their diets properly.  'Low G.I.' carbs are more important for high intensity/short duration workouts.  

Good quality protein sources (e.g. lean red meat, chicken and turkey, fish, eggs, milk, select legumes and lentils..) are more important in providing those essential amino acids, and certain co-enzymes and other co-factors, for your body's recovery and rebuilding after the workouts.

_________________
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Our life is frittered away by details. Simplify, simplify.
The mass of men lead lives of quite desperation.
Henry David Thoreau
avatar
WhoseYourWolfie

Posts : 6167
Join date : 2016-02-24
Age : 60
Location : Lake Macquarie, NSW, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by magica on Sun Jan 21, 2018 4:45 am

HoratioTarr wrote:
magica wrote:

Ok I will try and find it, thanx.

https://www.change.org/p/scottish-society-for-prevention-of-cruelty-to-animals-investigation-into-meg-s-death

Thanx HT, I've signed
avatar
magica

Posts : 2972
Join date : 2016-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by *THE Ben Reilly* on Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:33 am

Original Quill wrote:
Ben Reilly wrote:
gelico wrote:


ah, ben - is this your own waggy woof?

Yep!

Is your pup putting on a little girth, pal?  Evil or Very Mad

Maybe just slightly! And edds might have contributed too ... just kidding, not her fault, but you know how I love to escape total blame Twisted Evil

_________________
“She's a well thought-out plan and I don't know how it happened.”

Eli Young
avatar
*THE Ben Reilly*
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 24445
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 43
Location : Jamás Bese el Culo Del Jefe, Texas

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by *THE Ben Reilly* on Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:46 am

Okay, Maddog was just taking the piss, folks. No need to jump him, just because he made a joke that sounded a lot like a really uninformed and unenlightened comment Twisted Evil

He can't help it really. Fairmount people get a superiority complex on account of they're always looking for themselves in the background of the latest episode of Portlandia ...

tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue

Fucking hipsters.

_________________
“She's a well thought-out plan and I don't know how it happened.”

Eli Young
avatar
*THE Ben Reilly*
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American people.

Posts : 24445
Join date : 2013-01-19
Age : 43
Location : Jamás Bese el Culo Del Jefe, Texas

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by eddie on Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:12 am

HoratioTarr wrote:
eddie wrote:I am not sure why two grown men couldn’t carry a dog - they could’ve strapped the dog to their backs if necessary, surely?

Having said that, I wouldn’t give up my life for my dog. If it was a choice of dying with the dog or surviving I’d leave the dog behind, but I’d sure give it a good shot to carry him first, or even a makeshift sled and pull him along.

He should never have taken an old dog on a trek like that anyway, it’s selfish.

I really couldn't live with myself if I did that.   I'd be forever haunted by what I'd done.   Would you do that with a child?   To many, including me, our dogs are like children.   If he'd have done that the rescue services would have immediately come out to him.

A child is different to a dog. Sorry. No comparison.


_________________
INTELLIGENCE - “Not because you think you know everything without questioning, but rather because you question everything you think you know.”

Word. Cool
avatar
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 35828
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 48
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by nicko on Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:19 am

"no comparison" millions would disagree with that !
avatar
nicko

Posts : 10084
Join date : 2013-12-07
Age : 77
Location : rainbow bridge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by eddie on Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:23 am

nicko wrote: "no comparison"    millions would disagree with that !

Well there are millions of childless people just as there are millions of liars, perhaps that’s who you mean?
Would you put a pet above a child? A dog would eat your arse if it got hungry enough. Probably.

They really are far more selfish than you realise.

_________________
INTELLIGENCE - “Not because you think you know everything without questioning, but rather because you question everything you think you know.”

Word. Cool
avatar
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 35828
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 48
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Sun Jan 21, 2018 12:47 pm

eddie wrote:
nicko wrote: "no comparison"    millions would disagree with that !


Well there are millions of childless people just as there are millions of liars, perhaps that’s who you mean?
Would you put a pet above a child? A dog would eat your arse if it got hungry enough. Probably.

They really are far more selfish than you realise.



What ???

And you think a child might not eat you if twere hungry enough..

_________________
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Our life is frittered away by details. Simplify, simplify.
The mass of men lead lives of quite desperation.
Henry David Thoreau
avatar
WhoseYourWolfie

Posts : 6167
Join date : 2016-02-24
Age : 60
Location : Lake Macquarie, NSW, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by eddie on Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:08 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:
eddie wrote:
nicko wrote: "no comparison"    millions would disagree with that !


Well there are millions of childless people just as there are millions of liars, perhaps that’s who you mean?
Would you put a pet above a child? A dog would eat your arse if it got hungry enough. Probably.

They really are far more selfish than you realise.



What  ???

And you think a child might not eat you if twere hungry enough..

True. My daughter will eat anything.

_________________
INTELLIGENCE - “Not because you think you know everything without questioning, but rather because you question everything you think you know.”

Word. Cool
avatar
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 35828
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 48
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by Syl on Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:10 pm

eddie wrote:
WhoseYourWolfie wrote:


What  ???

And you think a child might not eat you if twere hungry enough..

True. My daughter will eat anything.

lol!

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 16478
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by Vintage on Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:39 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:
eddie wrote:

Well there are millions of childless people just as there are millions of liars, perhaps that’s who you mean?
Would you put a pet above a child? A dog would eat your arse if it got hungry enough. Probably.

They really are far more selfish than you realise.



What  ???

And you think a child might not eat you if twere hungry enough..



I did read somewhere that children left alone in a survival situation end up being very dangerous, aggressive and much less altruistic than adults in a similar situation.

Vintage

Posts : 1140
Join date : 2013-08-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by eddie on Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:44 pm

Vintage wrote:
WhoseYourWolfie wrote:
eddie wrote:

Well there are millions of childless people just as there are millions of liars, perhaps that’s who you mean?
Would you put a pet above a child? A dog would eat your arse if it got hungry enough. Probably.

They really are far more selfish than you realise.



What  ???

And you think a child might not eat you if twere hungry enough..



I did read somewhere that children left alone in a survival situation end up being very dangerous, aggressive and much less altruistic than adults in a similar situation.

And so would a dog or any other animal.
I’m afraid I am one of those unpopular people that whilst being a lover of pets, I really actually realise that they are, just animals, and I would never ever put one above another human being. They would always come last in my pack.

_________________
INTELLIGENCE - “Not because you think you know everything without questioning, but rather because you question everything you think you know.”

Word. Cool
avatar
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 35828
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 48
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by HoratioTarr on Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:38 pm

Maddog wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

Rolling Eyes

Do you have a better explanation?  tongue


You do realise that vegetarians get all the protein they need from legumes, cheese, eggs, milk, etc?
avatar
HoratioTarr

Posts : 8081
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by HoratioTarr on Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:41 pm

eddie wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

I really couldn't live with myself if I did that.   I'd be forever haunted by what I'd done.   Would you do that with a child?   To many, including me, our dogs are like children.   If he'd have done that the rescue services would have immediately come out to him.

A child is different to a dog.  Sorry. No comparison.


Well, the argument is, if he couldn't carry a collie down a mountain, how would he carry a child? I think you'll find that saying a child is different from a beloved pet doesn't wash with most animal lovers, particularly those with no kids. Love is love. Doesn't matter what you attach your love to or whom.
avatar
HoratioTarr

Posts : 8081
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by Didge on Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:44 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
eddie wrote:

A child is different to a dog.  Sorry. No comparison.


Well, the argument is, if he couldn't carry a collie down a mountain, how would he carry a child?    I think you'll find that saying a child is different from a beloved pet doesn't wash with most animal lovers,
particularly those with no kids.    Love is love.  Doesn't matter what you attach your love to or whom.


Well lets put this to the test

Who would you save, if you were left with the choice of only being able to save one here.

The child or the dog?

Its a no brainer, you would save the child

I agree that its utterly dumb to take an old animal on such a hike, but given the fear they had, would I have looked to save the dog?

No


As much as i love animals, survival means you dont compremise your ability to survive

I would give my life for a child, but not an animal


Last edited by Didge on Sun Jan 21, 2018 3:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 13361
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Critics blast climber who said he was forced to abandon his injured dog on a mountain side to save himself when a storm closed either

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum