When all women wanted for Christmas was a Hoover, and men were after some Pipe Appeal: Cringeworthy adverts show life in the days before political correctness

Go down

When all women wanted for Christmas was a Hoover, and men were after some Pipe Appeal: Cringeworthy adverts show life in the days before political correctness

Post by Didge on Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:10 am

This cringeworthy collection of Christmas adverts throws back to a time before political correctness when chauvinistic messages telling people to 'buy their wife a hoover' dominated billboards. The vintage festive ads, taken from early 20th century Britain and the USA, reveal the questionable marketing strategies of the past, with executives defiant that hoovers and irons are the best gifts for women and cigarettes perfectly suited to men.

Selling stockings to housewives and pipes to their husbands, the age-old billboards would struggle to pass the tests of today.
One reads: 'Give her a hoover and you give her the best', while another promises 'the way to please a lady' is a new toaster for her kitchen.

A particularly shocking example asks 'Isn't it time you gave yourself a Christmas gift' alongside four pictures of a handgun.  

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5208475/Sexist-Christmas-adverts-women-want-hoovers.html#ixzz52ASXr1wp 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
Didge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: When all women wanted for Christmas was a Hoover, and men were after some Pipe Appeal: Cringeworthy adverts show life in the days before political correctness

Post by Raggamuffin on Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:35 am

I'd quite like a new hoover. Laughing

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: When all women wanted for Christmas was a Hoover, and men were after some Pipe Appeal: Cringeworthy adverts show life in the days before political correctness

Post by Syl on Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:53 am

And people talk of the good old days. Laughing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:55 am

Er.........I bought the Wife a Dyson last year, she did SORT of say thank you..............I think?
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jules on Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:32 pm

OH says people shouldn't be using a brand name to describe vacuum cleaners, as it's unfair advertising. clown

Anyway let me add to the collection of outrageously sexist ads of yesteryear > >

Jules

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jules on Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:33 pm

Hahaha! lol!

Jules

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Sun Dec 24, 2017 1:49 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I'd quite like a new hoover. Laughing

A vacuum would be nice, as would some guns. Cool

Henry David Thoreau
Maddog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:22 pm

"Blow in her face and she'll follow you anywhere"

Why does that sound, and look, so damn sexy?

King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Sun Dec 24, 2017 3:24 pm

Mr. C once gave me an electric can opener for my birthday. He didn’t repeat that mistake again.

the Nerd Queen of Nerds, the Lover of Books who Cooks

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Maddog on Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:43 am

Cass wrote:Mr. C once gave me an electric can opener for my birthday. He didn’t repeat that mistake again.

What a dumb idea. He should have gave you a manual one so that you could get some exercise opening cans. Shocked

Henry David Thoreau
Maddog

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Foul on Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:17 am

My missus ASKED for a sewing machine for christmas and a manual singer one at that.....

There are those who's opinion I value, there are those who's opinion I neither value or scorn, and then there are those who's opinion I just ignore as insignificant...I can assure you the latter outnumber the first two combined by a whole order of magnitude

[b].(It's hard to remember that the task is to drain the swamp, when you are up to your arse in alligators)
Lord Foul
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Foul on Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:20 am

and...you lot are SNOWFLAKES YAHHHHHH!

these ads are a picture of society as it was....we cannot, and should NOT place our mores and conventions of the customes and actions of a past society....

else we may as well just scrub ALL of history from the record...History is ONLY of use if it is studied in the context of when it was current.

There are those who's opinion I value, there are those who's opinion I neither value or scorn, and then there are those who's opinion I just ignore as insignificant...I can assure you the latter outnumber the first two combined by a whole order of magnitude

[b].(It's hard to remember that the task is to drain the swamp, when you are up to your arse in alligators)
Lord Foul

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vintage on Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:59 am

Absolutely right Lord Foul, I watched a film tday about the women at Nasa in the early years = human computers/
First of all I was suprised that womem were actually working there in any capacitiy except cleaners and canteen workers, the second suprise was that there were so many coloured workers, who apparently had brains at least the size of an average IBM computer shut away in some 'coloured computers' dept., these people were working out all sorts of stuff required for the space programme but were all but ignored. I understand it all has to be taken in context of the times but I'm still flabbergasted and amazed for all that something like that happened in my own lifetime.

Vintage

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jules on Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:46 pm

Cass wrote:Mr. C once gave me an electric can opener for my birthday. He didn’t repeat that mistake again.

Did it open a can of worms?  affraid

Jules

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:40 pm

Maddog wrote:

What a dumb idea. He should have gave you a manual one so that you could get some exercise opening cans. Shocked

Ok that just caused me to snort out my mulled wine onto the cat.

Have a green thingy and thanks for the genuine laugh!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:42 pm

Jules wrote:

Did it open a can of worms?  affraid

No but he used it a lot during the next few days to open tins of soup when I went on strike Cool

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down