Did the NIH Just Open the Door to the Next Killer Pandemic?

Go down

Did the NIH Just Open the Door to the Next Killer Pandemic? Empty Did the NIH Just Open the Door to the Next Killer Pandemic?

Post by Guest on Fri Dec 22, 2017 2:16 pm

The agency just lifted a ban on researching deadly viruses. Some scientists think that’s a recipe for a global public health disaster.

In 2011, scientists studying the H5N1 virus—the avian flu, or the bird flu—intentionally made variants of the illness that could transmit between ferrets, who often serve as human substitutes in flu studies.

That’s huge, even a few years later. The strain of influenza can, as its name suggests, infect birds, particularly poultry like chickens and ducks. Researchers are still not quite sure how it moves from avians to humans, but the fact that it does, and that the disease can evolve into something more powerful, meant that researchers were extremely interested in jumping in for a closer look.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/did-the-nih-just-open-the-door-to-the-next-killer-pandemic?ref=home

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Did the NIH Just Open the Door to the Next Killer Pandemic? Empty Re: Did the NIH Just Open the Door to the Next Killer Pandemic?

Post by Original Quill on Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:19 pm

Reminds me of the time that a British lab saved small pox. They had eradicated it everywhere in the world, so the scientists said it was important to preserve a small sample of it to do research.

You guessed it. It escaped, and we have a thriving colony today.

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Posts : 28905
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 54
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Did the NIH Just Open the Door to the Next Killer Pandemic? Empty Re: Did the NIH Just Open the Door to the Next Killer Pandemic?

Post by Vintage on Fri Dec 22, 2017 5:39 pm

The problem is we need a complete ban on 'germ warfare' but how do you go about it and how do you police it, we therefore need to study this stuff to find antidotes and need to keep the viruses to do this, so where do we go from here?

Vintage

Posts : 2001
Join date : 2013-08-02

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Did the NIH Just Open the Door to the Next Killer Pandemic? Empty Re: Did the NIH Just Open the Door to the Next Killer Pandemic?

Post by eddie on Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:09 pm

Original Quill wrote:Reminds me of the time that a British lab saved small pox.  They had eradicated it everywhere in the world, so the scientists said it was important to preserve a small sample of it to do research.

You guessed it.  It escaped, and we have a thriving colony today.

Yeah. Makes you wonder why they really keep them and and how they manage to "escape".....

_________________
“I love people. Everybody. I love them, I think, as a stamp collector loves his collection. Every story, every incident, every bit of conversation is raw material for me.”
~ Sylvia Plath
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 38624
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Did the NIH Just Open the Door to the Next Killer Pandemic? Empty Re: Did the NIH Just Open the Door to the Next Killer Pandemic?

Post by nicko on Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:20 pm

There was a isolation Smallpox Hospital about 2 miles from me, some years ago it was closed down. It could not be demolished because of the risk of Germs/ virus's floating about. It was doused in Petrol and set alight, left to burn out, it was then ploughed over and left to grow wild.
nicko
nicko

Posts : 11854
Join date : 2013-12-07
Age : 78
Location : rainbow bridge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Did the NIH Just Open the Door to the Next Killer Pandemic? Empty Re: Did the NIH Just Open the Door to the Next Killer Pandemic?

Post by Raggamuffin on Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:28 pm

eddie wrote:
Original Quill wrote:Reminds me of the time that a British lab saved small pox.  They had eradicated it everywhere in the world, so the scientists said it was important to preserve a small sample of it to do research.

You guessed it.  It escaped, and we have a thriving colony today.

Yeah. Makes you wonder why they really keep them and and how they manage to "escape".....

Perhaps they keep them in case it comes back and they need to do more research?

_________________

"There never was an Aaron, counselor".
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

Posts : 33454
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Did the NIH Just Open the Door to the Next Killer Pandemic? Empty Re: Did the NIH Just Open the Door to the Next Killer Pandemic?

Post by eddie on Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:59 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
eddie wrote:
Original Quill wrote:Reminds me of the time that a British lab saved small pox.  They had eradicated it everywhere in the world, so the scientists said it was important to preserve a small sample of it to do research.

You guessed it.  It escaped, and we have a thriving colony today.

Yeah. Makes you wonder why they really keep them and and how they manage to "escape".....

Perhaps they keep them in case it comes back and they need to do more research?

Yes. Perhaps they do keep them for that reason. And maybe some others too.

_________________
“I love people. Everybody. I love them, I think, as a stamp collector loves his collection. Every story, every incident, every bit of conversation is raw material for me.”
~ Sylvia Plath
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 38624
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum