The Taste of Empire

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The Taste of Empire

Post by Cass on Sun Dec 03, 2017 7:32 pm

Looking forward to getting this for Christmas.

A history of the British Empire told through twenty meals eaten around the world

In The Taste of Empire, acclaimed historian Lizzie Collingham tells the story of how the British Empire's quest for food shaped the modern world. Told through twenty meals over the course of 450 years, from the Far East to the New World, Collingham explains how Africans taught Americans how to grow rice, how the East India Company turned opium into tea, and how Americans became the best-fed people in the world. In The Taste of Empire, Collingham masterfully shows that only by examining the history of Great Britain's global food system, from sixteenth-century Newfoundland fisheries to our present-day eating habits, can we fully understand our capitalist economy and its role in making our modern diets.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/0465056660/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1512329317&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_QL65&keywords=the+taste+of+empire&dpPl=1&dpID=51L4XqWNI0L&ref=plSrch

_________________
Do you think you'll be the guy - to make the Queen of the Angels sigh?
avatar
Cass
Nerd Queen
Nerd Queen

Posts : 4384
Join date : 2014-01-19
Age : 49

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Taste of Empire

Post by eddie on Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:45 pm

Can you please learn how to turn opium into tea and then bake me some oat and raisin flapjacks and invite me over for a cuppa?

_________________
"You set alight, in my heart and mind, the most beautiful chaos" ~ atticus
avatar
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

Posts : 32430
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 47
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Taste of Empire

Post by Didge on Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:55 pm

eddie wrote:Can you please learn how to turn opium into tea and then bake me some oat and raisin flapjacks and invite me over for a cuppa?

Fuck the raisins, add hash instead to flapjacks






_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 4680
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Taste of Empire

Post by Cass on Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:11 pm

Lol. What you both like?

Didge has a point. No raisins. Ever. Ick.

_________________
Do you think you'll be the guy - to make the Queen of the Angels sigh?
avatar
Cass
Nerd Queen
Nerd Queen

Posts : 4384
Join date : 2014-01-19
Age : 49

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Taste of Empire

Post by Didge on Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:15 pm

Cass wrote:Lol. What you both like?

Didge has a point. No raisins. Ever. Ick.


Laughing

How about some chocolate chip flapjacks instead Cass...?

_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 4680
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Taste of Empire

Post by Cass on Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:19 pm

Didge wrote:
Cass wrote:Lol. What you both like?

Didge has a point. No raisins. Ever. Ick.


Laughing

How about some chocolate chip flapjacks instead Cass...?

Those are good but double chocolate is even better Smile

So a bunch of Holiday parties are going on this week. I’ve decided to go retro with my offerings.

Last night I took some home made sausage rolls and vol-au-vents: prawn mayonnaise, egg and cress mayonnaise and garlic mushrooms in a creme fraiche sauce. I ran out of time to do the tuna pate.

Damn but they were delicious.

_________________
Do you think you'll be the guy - to make the Queen of the Angels sigh?
avatar
Cass
Nerd Queen
Nerd Queen

Posts : 4384
Join date : 2014-01-19
Age : 49

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Taste of Empire

Post by Didge on Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:28 pm

Cass wrote:
Didge wrote:


Laughing

How about some chocolate chip flapjacks instead Cass...?

Those are good but double chocolate is even better Smile

So a bunch of Holiday parties are going on this week. I’ve decided to go retro with my offerings.

Last night I took some home made sausage rolls and vol-au-vents: prawn mayonnaise, egg and cress mayonnaise and garlic mushrooms in a creme fraiche sauce. I ran out of time to do the tuna pate.

Damn but they were delicious.


Seriously, now my mouth is watering at the thought of such lush food.

Rolling Eyes

You know I had some lemon meringue pie the other day. Talk about childhood memmories.  Laughing

I must be wierd, because I miss the trifles and rhubarb crumble my mother used to make..


_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 4680
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Taste of Empire

Post by Cass on Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:34 pm

Didge wrote:
Cass wrote:

Those are good but double chocolate is even better Smile

So a bunch of Holiday parties are going on this week. I’ve decided to go retro with my offerings.

Last night I took some home made sausage rolls and vol-au-vents: prawn mayonnaise, egg and cress mayonnaise and garlic mushrooms in a creme fraiche sauce. I ran out of time to do the tuna pate.

Damn but they were delicious.


Seriously, now my mouth is watering at the thought of such lush food.

Rolling Eyes

You know I had some lemon meringue pie the other day. Talk about childhood memmories.  Laughing

I must be wierd, because I miss the trifles and rhubarb crumble my mother used to make..


Funnily enough I was thinking of making trifle for Xmas day. I made a great apple one a few weeks ago. Not overly fond of lemon meringue but I make a great baked lemon chicken and veggies dish. Alas Mr. C doesn’t like rhubarb. He was traumatized by the school dinner offerings lol!

_________________
Do you think you'll be the guy - to make the Queen of the Angels sigh?
avatar
Cass
Nerd Queen
Nerd Queen

Posts : 4384
Join date : 2014-01-19
Age : 49

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Taste of Empire

Post by Didge on Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:41 pm

Cass wrote:
Didge wrote:


Seriously, now my mouth is watering at the thought of such lush food.

Rolling Eyes

You know I had some lemon meringue pie the other day. Talk about childhood memmories.  Laughing

I must be wierd, because I miss the trifles and rhubarb crumble my mother used to make..


Funnily enough I was thinking of making trifle for Xmas day. I made a great apple one a few weeks ago. Not overly fond of lemon meringue but I make a great baked lemon chicken and veggies dish. Alas Mr. C doesn’t like rhubarb. He was traumatized by the school dinner offerings lol!




Do you remember the meatballs at school? 
Was that even meat?

I even thought the spaghetti was like string. 

I understand how he was traumatized. I am not sure some of the food we had back then, would pass as edible today... lol!

I seriously cannot stop laughing after reading he was taumatized. I seriously do sympathize.. Smile

You should make a trifle, but don't dare post it on here to make me jealous, or we are never speaking again...... Rolling Eyes

Just watching this and I seriously had my mouth watering at the cream cheese banana muffins.. bounce



_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 4680
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Taste of Empire

Post by Cass on Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:47 pm

Muffins are just cupcakes without the icing Laughing
I love proper blueberry or banana nut.

No really he was. He will not eat rhubarb, prunes or semolina pudding to this day because of his school.

In elementary and junior high we called the hamburgers hockey pucks.

For Xmas day I’m also thinking potato croquettes instead of mashed or roasted. Hmmmm. Decisions decisions...


_________________
Do you think you'll be the guy - to make the Queen of the Angels sigh?
avatar
Cass
Nerd Queen
Nerd Queen

Posts : 4384
Join date : 2014-01-19
Age : 49

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Taste of Empire

Post by Didge on Sun Dec 03, 2017 9:49 pm

Cass wrote:Muffins are just cupcakes without the icing Laughing
I love proper blueberry or banana nut.

No really he was. He will not eat rhubarb, prunes or semolina pudding to this day because of his school.

In elementary and junior high we called the hamburgers hockey pucks.

For Xmas day I’m also thinking potato croquettes instead of mashed or roasted. Hmmmm. Decisions decisions...



Oh my goodness, you just reminded me of some of the desserts we used to get at school.

I seriously would not even put those desserts we had at school, out for the wildlife to eat... Laughing

Decisions indeed and you are still making me hungry.. Rolling Eyes

_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 4680
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Taste of Empire

Post by eddie on Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:10 pm

I like raisins! Put the hash in though. That's a great addition.

_________________
"You set alight, in my heart and mind, the most beautiful chaos" ~ atticus
avatar
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

Posts : 32430
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 47
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Taste of Empire

Post by Cass on Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:32 am

Didge wrote:
Cass wrote:Muffins are just cupcakes without the icing Laughing
I love proper blueberry or banana nut.

No really he was. He will not eat rhubarb, prunes or semolina pudding to this day because of his school.

In elementary and junior high we called the hamburgers hockey pucks.

For Xmas day I’m also thinking potato croquettes instead of mashed or roasted. Hmmmm. Decisions decisions...



Oh my goodness, you just reminded me of some of the desserts we used to get at school.

I seriously would not even put those desserts we had at school, out for the wildlife to eat... Laughing

Decisions indeed and you are still making me hungry.. Rolling Eyes

Mind you I’m not a fan of prunes unless they are the French Agen type, especially wrapped in bacon.

He went from a non-cooking mother and horrible school dinners to Army food. When I made him a lasagna for our first dinner, I thought his head exploded and he ate almost the whole thing in one go. I’m now attempting to teach him to cook. It’s going slowly. And painfully lol!

Here was dinner tonight, mostly made by me as his team is playing tonight. Scallops with garlic tomatoes on potato purée and topped with roasted hazelnuts and steamed asparagus and roasted carrots.




Sorry x

_________________
Do you think you'll be the guy - to make the Queen of the Angels sigh?
avatar
Cass
Nerd Queen
Nerd Queen

Posts : 4384
Join date : 2014-01-19
Age : 49

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Taste of Empire

Post by Cass on Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:44 am

eddie wrote:I like raisins! Put the hash in though. That's a great addition.

Weirdo x

_________________
Do you think you'll be the guy - to make the Queen of the Angels sigh?
avatar
Cass
Nerd Queen
Nerd Queen

Posts : 4384
Join date : 2014-01-19
Age : 49

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Taste of Empire

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:02 am

G'Day

I'll bring the kangaroo steaks, fresh-frozen barramundi and tiger prawns, baked native yams, with quondong sauce and local honey, and lilly pilly jam on wattleseed cakes...

Bundaberg Rum as a tipple;  and some XXXX to keep nicko happy..
         

_________________
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Our life is frittered away by details. Simplify, simplify.
The mass of men lead lives of quite desperation.
Henry David Thoreau
avatar
WhoseYourWolfie

Posts : 4572
Join date : 2016-02-24
Age : 59
Location : Lake Macquarie, NSW, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Taste of Empire

Post by Didge on Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:21 pm

Cass wrote:
Didge wrote:


Oh my goodness, you just reminded me of some of the desserts we used to get at school.

I seriously would not even put those desserts we had at school, out for the wildlife to eat... Laughing

Decisions indeed and you are still making me hungry.. Rolling Eyes

Mind you I’m not a fan of prunes unless they are the French Agen type, especially wrapped in bacon.

He went from a non-cooking mother and horrible school dinners to Army food. When I made him a lasagna for our first dinner, I thought his head exploded and he ate almost the whole thing in one go. I’m now attempting to teach him to cook. It’s going slowly. And painfully lol!

Here was dinner tonight, mostly made by me as his team is playing tonight. Scallops with garlic tomatoes on potato purée and topped with roasted hazelnuts and steamed asparagus and roasted carrots.




Sorry x




x

_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 4680
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Taste of Empire

Post by Cass on Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:51 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:G'Day

I'll bring the kangaroo steaks, fresh-frozen barramundi and tiger prawns, baked native yams, with quondong sauce and local honey, and lilly pilly jam on wattleseed cakes...

Bundaberg Rum as a tipple;  and some XXXX to keep nicko happy..
         

Ohhh yes please!!!!! No idea what quondong sauce is or Lilly pilly and wattleseed cake but it all sounds yummy.

_________________
Do you think you'll be the guy - to make the Queen of the Angels sigh?
avatar
Cass
Nerd Queen
Nerd Queen

Posts : 4384
Join date : 2014-01-19
Age : 49

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Taste of Empire

Post by sassy on Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:04 pm

Cass wrote:
WhoseYourWolfie wrote:G'Day

I'll bring the kangaroo steaks, fresh-frozen barramundi and tiger prawns, baked native yams, with quondong sauce and local honey, and lilly pilly jam on wattleseed cakes...

Bundaberg Rum as a tipple;  and some XXXX to keep nicko happy..
         

Ohhh yes please!!!!! No idea what quondong sauce is or Lilly pilly and wattleseed cake but it all sounds yummy.


The quondong sauce sounded so interesting had to look it up, the quondong is a wild peach apparently, sounds great.

It, and wattleseed cake are on this site: http://tasteaustralia.biz/bushfood/native-fruit/quandong/quandong-recipes/
Wattleseed is seed from the acia tree. You learn something new every day. Don't think we can get them over here.

_________________
This planet is our home.  Our life and hers are interdependent - Doreen Valiente


The Left want to make life easier for as many people as possible, The Right want to make life easier for themselves and fuck everyone else.
avatar
sassy
Convicted Hex Offender

Posts : 17523
Join date : 2015-01-04

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Taste of Empire

Post by Cass on Mon Dec 04, 2017 7:31 pm

sassy wrote:
Cass wrote:

Ohhh yes please!!!!! No idea what quondong sauce is or Lilly pilly and wattleseed cake but it all sounds yummy.


The quondong sauce sounded so interesting had to look it up, the quondong is a wild peach apparently, sounds great.

It, and wattleseed cake are on this site:  http://tasteaustralia.biz/bushfood/native-fruit/quandong/quandong-recipes/
Wattleseed is seed from the acia tree.  You learn something new every day.   Don't think we can get them over here.

Thanks. I was about to look it up after finishing my monthly stats but you saved my fingers lol

_________________
Do you think you'll be the guy - to make the Queen of the Angels sigh?
avatar
Cass
Nerd Queen
Nerd Queen

Posts : 4384
Join date : 2014-01-19
Age : 49

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Taste of Empire

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum