Overwhelming joy as thousands of 'YES' campaigners celebrate the same-sex marriage vote result across Australia

Go down

Overwhelming joy as thousands of 'YES' campaigners celebrate the same-sex marriage vote result across Australia

Post by HoratioTarr on Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:45 am

Same-sex marriage supporters have gathered across Australia for the landmark announcement of the same-sex marriage postal survey results.
The Australian Bureau of Statistics announced the findings of the voluntary vote at a special hearing in Federal Parliament on Wednesday morning, with a majority of 61.6 per cent in favour of legalising gay marriage.
Thousands of 'Yes' advocates have erupted in celebration at the designated areas throughout the country, including the State Library of Victoria in Melbourne and Prince Alfred Park in Sydney.
Emotional embraces, tears of joy and an overwhelming message of equality has washed over the nation after months of debate, abuse and pain.  
The 'Yes' campaign received 7,817,247 votes compared to 4,873,987 'No' votes, a significant victory for the campaign. 
The returned ballots amounted for 79.5 per cent of the population, a strong response from the public to the controversial $122 million postal vote.   

The onus will now be on politicians to pass a bill in parliament to legalise same-sex marriage, allowing Australia to join a host of other countries including the United States, the United Kingdom, France, Sweden and Canada who have already changed their marriage laws.  


http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5083209/Marriage-equality-supporters-gather-sex-results.html
avatar
HoratioTarr

Posts : 8616
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Overwhelming joy as thousands of 'YES' campaigners celebrate the same-sex marriage vote result across Australia

Post by Guest on Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:51 am

HoratioTarr wrote:Same-sex marriage supporters have gathered across Australia for the landmark announcement of the same-sex marriage postal survey results.
The Australian Bureau of Statistics announced the findings of the voluntary vote at a special hearing in Federal Parliament on Wednesday morning, with a majority of 61.6 per cent in favour of legalising gay marriage.
Thousands of 'Yes' advocates have erupted in celebration at the designated areas throughout the country, including the State Library of Victoria in Melbourne and Prince Alfred Park in Sydney.
Emotional embraces, tears of joy and an overwhelming message of equality has washed over the nation after months of debate, abuse and pain.  
The 'Yes' campaign received 7,817,247 votes compared to 4,873,987 'No' votes, a significant victory for the campaign. 
The returned ballots amounted for 79.5 per cent of the population, a strong response from the public to the controversial $122 million postal vote.   

The onus will now be on politicians to pass a bill in parliament to legalise same-sex marriage, allowing Australia to join a host of other countries including the United States, the United Kingdom, France, Sweden and Canada who have already changed their marriage laws.  


http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5083209/Marriage-equality-supporters-gather-sex-results.html


Great news

+1

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Overwhelming joy as thousands of 'YES' campaigners celebrate the same-sex marriage vote result across Australia

Post by Eilzel on Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:59 am

Awesome news! Though now it's for the Aussie government to actually act on this. And watch support grow and grow when people realise gay weddings don't bring the apocalypse lol

Thanks for sharing Horatio cheers

_________________
"Tolerance of intolerance is cowardice"

"The beginning of wisdom is the definition of terms"
Socrates
avatar
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Posts : 6850
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 33
Location : The Kingdom formerly known as Siam...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Overwhelming joy as thousands of 'YES' campaigners celebrate the same-sex marriage vote result across Australia

Post by HoratioTarr on Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:06 am

Eilzel wrote:Awesome news! Though now it's for the Aussie government to actually act on this. And watch support grow and grow when people realise gay weddings don't bring the apocalypse lol

Thanks for sharing Horatio cheers

It is wonderful and about time the whole world embraced it.
avatar
HoratioTarr

Posts : 8616
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Overwhelming joy as thousands of 'YES' campaigners celebrate the same-sex marriage vote result across Australia

Post by Eilzel on Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:14 am

It always surprises it has taken Oz this long, still better late than never Smile

Religion fucks it for a lot of the world though...

_________________
"Tolerance of intolerance is cowardice"

"The beginning of wisdom is the definition of terms"
Socrates
avatar
Eilzel
Speaker of the House

Posts : 6850
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 33
Location : The Kingdom formerly known as Siam...

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Overwhelming joy as thousands of 'YES' campaigners celebrate the same-sex marriage vote result across Australia

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:50 am

G'Day

Check an earlier thread on this topic from a couple of months ago,  and you will find I was telling veya that I was voting "Yes"  --  and that I expected the results to be at least/roughly 60% in favour...

So,  I was pretty close there..


However, as I've also pointed out previously, this doesn't directly affect me personally --  as I'm not gay,  nor married, and I don't hold "marriage" to be as 'sacred' and 'holy' and 'pre-ordained' as some narrowed bigots do. As I said before, I don't believe in standing in anyone's way if they want to punish themselves in such a way, and aren't hurting anyone else in the process..


@eilzel  --  you can blame our current conservative guvm'nt for dragging the chain on this --  they should have had a parliamentary vote on it 4 years ago, but former_PM Tony Abbott and his cronies have been campaigning against same sex marriage for much longer again...

_________________
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Our life is frittered away by details. Simplify, simplify.
The mass of men lead lives of quite desperation.
Henry David Thoreau
avatar
WhoseYourWolfie

Posts : 6428
Join date : 2016-02-24
Age : 60
Location : Lake Macquarie, NSW, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Overwhelming joy as thousands of 'YES' campaigners celebrate the same-sex marriage vote result across Australia

Post by veya_victaous on Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:13 am

it's great that Yes campaign came through with a win even if this is just a ridiculously expensive opinion poll with no legally binding (and you can bet the religotards are already try their next delaying tactics)

there was some fear that this would be Australia's brexit/trump and another testament to man's idiocy and complacency

_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
avatar
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 18758
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 35
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Overwhelming joy as thousands of 'YES' campaigners celebrate the same-sex marriage vote result across Australia

Post by smelly-bandit on Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:44 am

I think there needs to be a second vote because voters were misled and didn't know what they voted for

_________________
“Sometimes people hold a core belief that is very strong. When they are presented with evidence that works against that belief, the new evidence cannot be accepted. It would create a feeling that is extremely uncomfortable, called cognitive dissonance. And because it is so important to protect the core belief, they will rationalize,ignore and even deny anything that doesn't fit in with the core belief."

- Frantz Fanon
--------------------------------------

IT'S OK TO BE.

smelly-bandit

Posts : 4303
Join date : 2015-09-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Overwhelming joy as thousands of 'YES' campaigners celebrate the same-sex marriage vote result across Australia

Post by eddie on Wed Nov 15, 2017 7:31 am

Brilliant news and about time.

_________________
"You can't be a fuckin' gangster girl without bein' a Puddin'."
avatar
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 36208
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 48
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Overwhelming joy as thousands of 'YES' campaigners celebrate the same-sex marriage vote result across Australia

Post by SEXY MAMA on Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:28 am

smelly-bandit wrote:I think there needs to be a second vote because voters were misled and didn't know what they voted for

You of all people should be supporting this!

_________________
"Do not be people without minds of your own, saying that if others treat you well you will treat them well, and that if they do wrong you will do wrong to them. Instead, accustom yourselves to do good if people do good and not to do wrong (even) if they do evil.” — Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)
avatar
SEXY MAMA

Posts : 2899
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 45

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Overwhelming joy as thousands of 'YES' campaigners celebrate the same-sex marriage vote result across Australia

Post by smelly-bandit on Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:39 pm

SEXY MAMA wrote:
smelly-bandit wrote:I think there needs to be a second vote because voters were misled and didn't know what they voted for

You of all people should be supporting this!

Why??

I don't live in Australia

_________________
“Sometimes people hold a core belief that is very strong. When they are presented with evidence that works against that belief, the new evidence cannot be accepted. It would create a feeling that is extremely uncomfortable, called cognitive dissonance. And because it is so important to protect the core belief, they will rationalize,ignore and even deny anything that doesn't fit in with the core belief."

- Frantz Fanon
--------------------------------------

IT'S OK TO BE.

smelly-bandit

Posts : 4303
Join date : 2015-09-03

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Overwhelming joy as thousands of 'YES' campaigners celebrate the same-sex marriage vote result across Australia

Post by Original Quill on Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:07 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:
SEXY MAMA wrote:

You of all people should be supporting this!

Why??

I don't live in Australia

She said "supporting", not voting.

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars

Someone is above the rule of law in America.
avatar
Original Quill

Posts : 25963
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 53
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Overwhelming joy as thousands of 'YES' campaigners celebrate the same-sex marriage vote result across Australia

Post by SEXY MAMA on Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:21 pm

smelly-bandit wrote:
SEXY MAMA wrote:

You of all people should be supporting this!

Why??

I don't live in Australia


Nothing to do with the country.

You are now deliberately trying to be obtuse!

_________________
"Do not be people without minds of your own, saying that if others treat you well you will treat them well, and that if they do wrong you will do wrong to them. Instead, accustom yourselves to do good if people do good and not to do wrong (even) if they do evil.” — Prophet Muhammad (PBUH)
avatar
SEXY MAMA

Posts : 2899
Join date : 2013-12-12
Age : 45

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Overwhelming joy as thousands of 'YES' campaigners celebrate the same-sex marriage vote result across Australia

Post by Syl on Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:54 pm

Good on Australia. cheers

Proves they are not all cork dangling strong in tharm thick in thead wingers.



(Just kidding Veya)

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 17074
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Overwhelming joy as thousands of 'YES' campaigners celebrate the same-sex marriage vote result across Australia

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum