Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by Tommy Monk on Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:22 pm



All but two Adelie penguin chicks have starved to death in their east Antarctic colony, in a breeding season described as "catastrophic" by experts.

It was caused by unusually high amounts of ice late in the season, meaning adults had to travel further for food.

It is the second bad season in five years after no chicks survived in 2015.


http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-41608722




Must be all this 'global warming' that caused the high level of sea water to freeze down there...!!!



_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
avatar
Tommy Monk

Posts : 20671
Join date : 2014-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:31 am

Idea

This warped Tommy Monk perspective on this story is pure bullshit, as presented here...

I saw this disaster reported on television here last week,  and the true story simply doesn't gel with Tommy's idiotic spin and conclusion on that tragedy..

Nothing new there, in Tommy's anti-science stupidity.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-10-13/antarctic-penguin-deaths-prompt-call-for-protections/9046142

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/researchers-sound-alarm-antarctic-penguin-chick-deaths-50495736

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/10/13/world/antarctica-penguin-chicks-die/index.html

_________________
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Our life is frittered away by details. Simplify, simplify.
The mass of men lead lives of quite desperation.
Henry David Thoreau
avatar
WhoseYourWolfie

Posts : 5911
Join date : 2016-02-24
Age : 60
Location : Lake Macquarie, NSW, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by veya_victaous on Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:18 am

"The region is impacted by environmental changes that are linked to the breakup of the Mertz glacier since 2010," Yan Ropert-Coudert, lead researcher on the Adélie penguin program at France's National Center for Scientific Research (CNRS), said in a statement.

"An MPA will not remedy these changes but it could prevent further impacts that direct anthropogenic pressures, such as tourism and proposed fisheries, could bring."

Last year, research by oceanographers at the University of Delaware found that 60% of Antarctica's Adélie penguin habitat may become unsuitable for the birds by the end of the 21st century, because of warming seas and rain.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/10/13/world/antarctica-penguin-chicks-die/index.html

YES tommy it is cause of Climate change and being Warmer, YES it is too complex for you to get into your little pea brain

_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
avatar
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 18130
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 35
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by Tommy Monk on Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:40 pm

'...ANTARCTIC temperatures have cooled over the past six years, ... NASA has found that overall the amount of Antarctic ice has increased...'

http://www.express.co.uk/news/science/622043/GLOBAL-WARMING-NASA-Antarctic-COOLING-six-years-Arctic-north-pole-climate-change


_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
avatar
Tommy Monk

Posts : 20671
Join date : 2014-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by Didge on Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:54 pm



New research shows penguins will suffer in a warming world





Posted on 4 August 2016 by dana1981




We know the world is warming, and we know humans are the main reason. But so what? The thing we’d really like to know is, what will the impacts be on our planet, its biodiversity, our society, our economies? It is only through understanding the impacts of climate changethat action for reducing greenhouse gases can be motivated.


This is one of the reasons I was so interested in a very recent study from the University of Delaware, which addressed how penguins will fare in a warming world. The article was published in Scientific Reports and is available open access so anyone with an internet connection can read it here.
Lead author Megan Cimino and her colleagues looked at Adelie penguin populations and asked whether their years of increasing or decreasing population corresponded to warm, cold, or normal temperatures. In the Antarctic, which is where these penguins live, the situation is a bit complex because the land area is large and weather/climate changes are not consistent across the region. 
For instance, large parts of the Western Antarctic Peninsula (WAP) are warming quite rapidly, amongst the most rapid in the world. On the other hand, in the East, some areas are warming just a little while others are cooling slightly. Since Adelie penguins live on the periphery of the ice sheet, they are exposed to a wide range of Antarctic climate regions.


The authors found that penguin colony declines occur preferentially in years where the sea waters are warmer than average. This is in contrast to colonies whose populations are stable or increasing – those occur in normal or cooler waters. This finding was particularly striking when Adelie penguin populations in the WAP (which is warming) were compared with populations elsewhere in the continent. 
This knowledge of past penguin colony health was obtained by actual measurements, primarily satellite data which provided sea surface temperatures and ice extent. But the important extension of this work is into the future. The scientists took their current knowledge of penguin health and climate and asked what will happen to these penguins in the future. 



 Megan Cimino and Matthew Oliver. Photograph: University of Delaware/Megan Cimino


Since we do not have measurements in the future, the scientists used climate models. These models are computer calculations of the actual climate that will exist in the future, and the calculations are based on our best understanding of how the climate system works. Fortunately, climate models have an excellent history in predicting how the future will evolve. While climate models are never perfectly accurate, they give enough information so that researchers like Megan and Matthew can make educated predictions.


The predictions that emerged from the study are that approximately 20% of the penguin populations may be in decline by 2060. As the planet and oceans continue to warm, the pressure on penguins will increase. However, the researchers also report that the penguins will not completely die out. There will remain refugee communities of penguins that exist beyond 2100. We can be grateful for this silver lining.

Click here to read the rest

_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 11688
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by Didge on Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:58 pm

Natural forces overpowering Antarctic Peninsula warming

Posted on 4 August 2016 by Guest Author
This is a re-post from Carbon Brief by Roz Pidcock

In the latter half of the 20th century, the tip of the Antarctic Peninsula was among the fastest warming places on Earth. But since the late 1990s, this fast-paced warming has been tempered by extreme natural forces, according to new research. So much so, that some parts have switched to cooling.

In many ways, the results are unsurprising. Scientists know that natural variability superimposes temporary ups and downs on top of greenhouse gas-induced warming everywhere on Earth.

Prof Robert Mulvaney, part of the team of British Antarctic Survey scientists who carried out the research, tells Carbon Brief:

“The results are as we would expect.”
The authors of the study, published today in Nature, also stress their findings are restricted to a small part of the Antarctic Peninsula, and do not imply cooling across the ice sheet as a whole.

https://www.skepticalscience.com/natural-overpowering-antarctic-peninsula-warming.html


Tommy seems to think he has stumbled onto something new here.

One moment



_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 11688
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by Tommy Monk on Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:38 pm

'...All but two Adelie penguin chicks have starved to death in their east Antarctic colony, in a breeding season described as "catastrophic" by experts.

It was caused by unusually high amounts of ice late in the season
, meaning adults had to travel further for food...'



_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
avatar
Tommy Monk

Posts : 20671
Join date : 2014-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by Didge on Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:42 pm

I see Tommy cannot understand or even read his own links

lol

_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 11688
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by Tommy Monk on Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:49 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:'...ANTARCTIC temperatures have cooled over the past six years, ... NASA has found that overall the amount of Antarctic ice has increased...'

http://www.express.co.uk/news/science/622043/GLOBAL-WARMING-NASA-Antarctic-COOLING-six-years-Arctic-north-pole-climate-change



For Dodge again...



_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
avatar
Tommy Monk

Posts : 20671
Join date : 2014-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by Didge on Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:52 pm

lol, did you actually read that link Tommy?


You never did, and i know you never read it through.

Or that you understand

Priceless

Read some of the links I gave also

_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 11688
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Fri Oct 20, 2017 7:57 am

Tommy Monk wrote:'...ANTARCTIC temperatures have cooled over the past six years, ... NASA has found that overall the amount of Antarctic ice has increased...'

http://www.express.co.uk/news/science/622043/GLOBAL-WARMING-NASA-Antarctic-COOLING-six-years-Arctic-north-pole-climate-change

Rolling Eyes

More of Tommy's anti-science misrepresentations...

_________________
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Our life is frittered away by details. Simplify, simplify.
The mass of men lead lives of quite desperation.
Henry David Thoreau
avatar
WhoseYourWolfie

Posts : 5911
Join date : 2016-02-24
Age : 60
Location : Lake Macquarie, NSW, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:02 am

Tommy Monk wrote:'...All but two Adelie penguin chicks have starved to death in their east Antarctic colony, in a breeding season described as "catastrophic" by experts.

It was caused by unusually high amounts of ice late in the season
, meaning adults had to travel further for food...'

Rolling Eyes

Bullshit,  Tommy...

Your clueless brainfucked intransigence doesn't give you some inalienable right to rewrite historical facts to fit your own ignorant anti-science agendas..

_________________
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Our life is frittered away by details. Simplify, simplify.
The mass of men lead lives of quite desperation.
Henry David Thoreau
avatar
WhoseYourWolfie

Posts : 5911
Join date : 2016-02-24
Age : 60
Location : Lake Macquarie, NSW, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by nicko on Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:20 am

That's exactly what the report did say Wolfie !
avatar
nicko

Posts : 9761
Join date : 2013-12-07
Age : 77
Location : rainbow bridge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by Tommy Monk on Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:15 pm

The quote I gave are from news articles...!!!



_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
avatar
Tommy Monk

Posts : 20671
Join date : 2014-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by Didge on Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:17 pm

What quotes did you miss out from your own article Tommy?

_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 11688
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by Tommy Monk on Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:30 pm

Why don't you tell us, didge...!?



_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
avatar
Tommy Monk

Posts : 20671
Join date : 2014-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by Didge on Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:34 pm

No problem Tommy

Christopher Shuman, a University of Maryland, Baltimore County glaciologist working at Goddard, said: "Field data suggests that there’s been a modest cooling in the area over the 2009–2015 time period, and images collected during that time by the Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer on the Terra and Aqua satellites show more persistent fast ice (sea ice that is attached to the shore) in the Larsen A and Larsen B embayments”

However, Mr Shuman warned that in some areas of the Antarctic, glaciers continued to melt at significant levels, despite the slight temperature drop.

At the south pole, the mission observed a big drop in the height of two glaciers situated in the Antarctic Peninsula.

Mr Shuman added: "These IceBridge measurements show that once the ice shelves collapse, even some cooling and a good deal of persistent sea ice is not able to hold back these larger glaciers and they continue to lose mass overall.”

During one flight in the Peninsula that mapped the drainage area of several glaciers, a drop of more than 490 feet (150 meters) in the height of two glaciers since IceBridge last plotted them, in 2009, was measured.

Both glaciers, called Green and Hektoria, were tributaries to the Larsen B ice shelf, which disintegrated in 2002.

After the ice shelf collapsed, it stopped buttressing the glaciers that fed it, and glacier elevations have fallen dramatically since then.

A study published in 2012 showed average elevation losses of up to 82 feet (25 meters) per year for the lower Green and Hektoria glaciers from 2006 to 2011.

A NASA spokesman said:"So IceBridge’s discovery that both are still losing ice fast many years after the loss of the adjacent ice shelf is “not all that surprising given what we have observed with other sensors,” said Mr Shuman.

So, confusingly, the new details of further glacial melt have fuelled those who believe we are causing global warming and polar ice melt.

At the Arctic north pole, the project collected much needed measurements of the status of land and sea ice at the end of the Arctic summer melt season.

The results of these have yet to be published, but the whole issue is set to be debated in full at a clime change conference in Paris later this month.

http://www.express.co.uk/news/science/622043/GLOBAL-WARMING-NASA-Antarctic-COOLING-six-years-Arctic-north-pole-climate-change


Hence why I posted two articles for you and you avoided reading them.

Do you want me to post even more on this

_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 11688
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by Didge on Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:37 pm

Abstract


Ice shelves play a vital role in regulating loss of grounded ice and in supplying freshwater to coastal seas. However, melt variability within ice shelves is poorly constrained and may be instrumental in driving ice shelf imbalance and collapse. High-resolution altimetry 

measurements from 2010 to 2016 show that Dotson Ice Shelf (DIS), West Antarctica, thins in response to basal melting focused along a single 5 km-wide and 60 km-long channel extending from the ice shelf's grounding zone to its calving front. If focused thinning continues at present rates, the channel will melt through, and the ice shelf collapse, within 40–50 years, almost two centuries before collapse is projected from the average thinning rate. Our findings provide evidence of basal melt-driven sub-ice shelf channel formation and its potential for accelerating the weakening of ice shelves.


Plain Language Summary


Ice shelves act as safety bands around the Antarctic ice sheet. Many ice shelves are currently thinning, leading to acceleration of the grounded ice behind. Here we show that ice shelves' thinning is stronger along a channel structure formed by the ocean circulation under the ice shelf. The thinning is 3 times higher than the ice shelf's average, hence leading to a more rapid weakening of the ice shelf. This study provides evidence of basal melt-driven sub-ice shelf channel formation and its potential for accelerating the weakening of ice shelves.



http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/2017GL074929/abstract

_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 11688
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by Didge on Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:41 pm

So the question to ask, is why Tommy omited most of the article from his link, bt posting up two sentences?

Becuase he ignores any evidence, that does not fit his conspiracy mindset.

He places his hands over his ears and goes, "la la la, I'm listening".

Laughing

_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 11688
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by Tommy Monk on Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:51 pm



What has any of that got to do with the OP...!?



_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
avatar
Tommy Monk

Posts : 20671
Join date : 2014-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by Didge on Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:52 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

What has any of that got to do with the OP...!?




Loads Tommy if you want to actually digest why you used that link.

Its your source is it not, from the Express?

_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 11688
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by Angry Andy on Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:56 pm

Ha! The Express.
The tome of all knowledge.
Stormageddon
Polar wipeouts
End of day events.

Equates to

a dusting of snow
bit of frost
red sunset.

_________________
I have never met a caring sharing and compassionate Tory.
Tories and far right wingers. All liars
Visit Turkey. But beware, Sharia law is watching everyone.
avatar
Angry Andy
Poet Laureate & Traveling Bard of NewsFix

Posts : 4574
Join date : 2013-12-14
Age : 61
Location : Getting banned is a badge of honour in the fight against far rw extremists.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by Tommy Monk on Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:16 pm

Didge wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:

What has any of that got to do with the OP...!?




Loads Tommy if you want to actually digest why you used that link.

Its your source is it not, from the Express?


Not the source of the OP story/quote... and not the OP link...!!!


lol!



The link you are talking about confirms a cooling in the area in question, and confirms a wider and more persistent coverage of sea ice too in that area... which is the area where the Adelie penguins are in OP... and backs up the OP story that there is unusually high levels of sea ice as being cause of the Adelie penguins problems...!!!



But don't worry too much about this small group of Adelie penguins... as there are an estimated 6 million of them around down there...!!!



And it may also be that overpopulation of them has had a detrimental effect on the other locally available wildlife species that they eat as their normal diet...!?




_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
avatar
Tommy Monk

Posts : 20671
Join date : 2014-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by Didge on Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:21 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:
Didge wrote:


Loads Tommy if you want to actually digest why you used that link.

Its your source is it not, from the Express?


Not the source of the OP story/quote... and not the OP link...!!!
Didge wrote:Oh you mean the mountain of evidence I presented?

The link you are talking about confirms a cooling in the area in question, and confirms a wider and more persistent coverage of sea ice too in that area... which is the area where the Adelie penguins are in OP... and backs up the OP story that there is unusually high levels of sea ice as being cause of the Adelie penguins problems...!!!
Didge wrote:It certainly does Tommy but in what amounts?
Then tell me how massively the areas effected by warming are having effect in these areas?
So what do you understand about how ice forms, compared to icebergs themselves?
You do understand ice easily forms in cooler areas, but not on how mass ice is breaking away and melting?

Do you understand the difference here?

Lets see if Tommy really knows what he is talking about

But don't worry too much about this small group of Adelie penguins... as there are an estimated 6 million of them around down there...!!!
Didge wrote:Where did I say I did not worry?

Quite an emotive response from you there Tommy and yet further misdirection, poorly trying to get yourself off the ropes here.


And it may also be that overpopulation of them has had a detrimental effect on the other locally available wildlife species that they eat as their normal diet...!?


It could be many things Tommy as to the cause and hence why I keep an open mind, but you did post a link, never reading it or understanding climate change. Which we now see you misdirect off.
That is the most hilarious part.

Cool

_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 11688
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by Didge on Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:28 pm

Antarctic Sea Ice Sets Record Low, Providing Another Mystery for Scientists
 
Antarctica's Adelie penguins basked in a particularly warm summer in 2015 and now live amid shrinking sea ice. Credit: Getty Images


A new record warm temperature for Antarctica was confirmed by the World Meteorological Organization as sea ice surrounding the continent has shrunk to a record low.


The temperature reached its record high of 63.5 degrees Fahrenheit on March 24, 2015, according to an announcement by the WMO, which often takes years to verify new records.
The news came as sea ice around Antarctica is experiencing its lowest extent ever. As of March 1, only 820,000 square miles of the ocean around Antarctica was covered in ice, according to data from the National Snow and Ice Data Center in Boulder, Colo. The loss of ice represents an all-time minimum for Antarctic sea ice cover since satellite observations began in 1979.
 
The current decline, however, may not be part of a larger climate change trend. The low point comes less than three years after Antarctic sea ice set a record high in October 2014. "If you look at the long-term trend, Antarctic sea ice is still increasing slightly, said Son Nghiem, a researcher with NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory.


That increase has provided fodder for climate denial arguments and was a mystery to scientists because it differed so greatly from the rapid melting occurring in the Arctic. But recent research has provided clues to the reasons. The continent's unique topography shields it from warming occurring elsewhere, Nghiem said.
A study Nghiem and colleagues published last year found that topography creates icy winds blowing off Antarctica and a powerful ocean current that circles the continent. The study, published in the journal Remote Sensing of Environment, concluded that these two factors play a larger role in the formation and persistence of Antarctic sea ice than changes in temperature.


"I think Antarctic sea ice will be stable for at least some time into the future," Nghiem said.


That puts it in direct contrast with the Arctic, which is losing its ice at a rapid clip as it experiences a record-warm stretch and record low levels of sea ice at the North Pole. Last month temperatures in the far north were 20 degrees above normal according to data from the Danish Meteorological Institute. The ice cap over the North Pole receded to a record low in January for the second year in a row according to the National Snow and Ice Data Center.


Antarctic Sea Ice Sets Record Low, Providing Another Mystery for Scientists by Phil Mckenna, InsideClimate News, Mar 3, 2017


https://www.skepticalscience.com/2017-SkS-Weekly-Digest_09.html



To help Tommy

_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 11688
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by Tommy Monk on Fri Oct 20, 2017 9:50 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

All but two Adelie penguin chicks have starved to death in their east Antarctic colony, in a breeding season described as "catastrophic" by experts.

It was caused by unusually high amounts of ice late in the season, meaning adults had to travel further for food.

It is the second bad season in five years after no chicks survived in 2015.


http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-41608722




Must be all this 'global warming' that caused the high level of sea water to freeze down there...!!!





Firstly... a reminder of the OP for Didge...


Secondly... your above post article graph shows record high levels of sea ice in 2013... and article also says this...

"If you look at the long-term trend, Antarctic sea ice is still increasing..."


Thirdly... can you point out all the bits of your posts so far on thread that are relevant to the 'east Antarctic' area where the op is talking about...!?


lol!



_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
avatar
Tommy Monk

Posts : 20671
Join date : 2014-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by Didge on Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:00 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:

All but two Adelie penguin chicks have starved to death in their east Antarctic colony, in a breeding season described as "catastrophic" by experts.

It was caused by unusually high amounts of ice late in the season, meaning adults had to travel further for food.

It is the second bad season in five years after no chicks survived in 2015.


http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-41608722




Must be all this 'global warming' that caused the high level of sea water to freeze down there...!!!





Firstly... a reminder of the OP for Didge...
Didge wrote: Yes tommy, that is why I posted had another link to help you here try to understand.
I guess you never even bothered to look at that one or you did and this is even funnier that you continue to not counter anythingn

Laughing

Secondly... your above post article graph shows record high levels of sea ice in 2013... and article also says this...
Didge wrote: It did indeed Tommy.
Where has anyone denied this?

Do you understand why though?

"If you look at the long-term trend, Antarctic sea ice is still increasing..."
Didge wrote:

Laughing

Is that all you read Tommy?

I guess so, ha ha.

So again what else did it say?


Thirdly... can you point out all the bits of your posts so far on thread that are relevant to the 'east Antarctic' area where the op is talking about...!?


Sure.

You posted a thread about the plight of penguins.
Never understanding any of it.
You posted a couple of quotes and then a link from the Express.
Clearly never reading that either.. Laughing
I posted information to help you understand this.
Exposed then, that you never read your link and since then you have failed to admit to your cockups here.
This is evident by the post above where you pull out one aspect and something known, that in some areas its getting colder. Ignoring everything else.


_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 11688
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by Tommy Monk on Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:23 pm



The OP article was from the BBC... and was very clear...!


Some posters disputed what the OP article said... one poster in particular accused me of 'making up' the op quote...!!!


I posted a bit of another article and the link, that showed cooling and greater levels of sea ice in the area that OP was talking about...!!!


Didge... you have posted up some stuff that is relevant to the area in question... and which corroborates both the op and the fact of greater levels of sea ice in the area in question...!


The rest of what you have posted is irrelevant to OP area...!!!


The only person who either doesn't read, or doesn't understand what they are posting, is you!!!


lol!

Laughing



_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
avatar
Tommy Monk

Posts : 20671
Join date : 2014-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by Didge on Fri Oct 20, 2017 10:29 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

The OP article was from the BBC... and was very clear...!
Didge wrote:Yes it was very clear


Some posters disputed what the OP article said... one poster in particular accused me of 'making up' the op quote...!!!
Didge wrote:Oh you poor little snowflake
What has that got to do with my points to you?
Do you want me to spank their arse silly, as i am doing to you now?
Will that make you feel better and lessen the pain you feel on your butt cheeks?

I posted a bit of another article and the link, that showed cooling and greater levels of sea ice in the area that OP was talking about...!!!
Didge wrote:Yes it was very clear and even funnier that you never even understood any of it

Didge... you have posted up some stuff that is relevant to the area in question... and which corroborates both the op and the fact of greater levels of sea ice in the area in question...!
Didge wrote:Yes it was very clear and it was very clear what you never read.

Now at any point did I dispute the fact the penguins are in danger?

Or that in some areas it has gotten colder?

No, I did ask you to tell me what you undertood about ice, cooling and icebergs and how some areas might get colder. The answers were there, but you evaded them.

You never answered snd tried to dig yourself out of a hole.

You are still there buddy.
Laughing


The rest of what you have posted is irrelevant to OP area...!!!
Didge wrote:Is it not relevant because now you realize you look a right wally?

As that seems to be the case, how you keep misdirecting.

Laughing


The only person who either doesn't read, or doesn't understand what they are posting, is you!!!



Is that why you keep misdirecting and evading my questions mate?

Cool

_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 11688
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by Tommy Monk on Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:14 pm




Didge... it seems very much now that you are agreeing with everything I posted...!?


If so... what have I posted exactly, that you are arguing about...?


If not... what have I posted exactly, that you are arguing about...?


lol!

Laughing


_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
avatar
Tommy Monk

Posts : 20671
Join date : 2014-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by Didge on Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:16 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:


Didge... it seems very much now that you are agreeing with everything I posted...!?


If so... what have I posted exactly, that you are arguing about...?


If not... what have I posted exactly, that you are arguing about...?


lol!

Laughing


These points Tommy

You posted a thread about the plight of penguins.
Never understanding any of it.
You posted a couple of quotes and then a link from the Express.
Clearly never reading that either.. Laughing
I posted information to help you understand this.
Exposed then, that you never read your link and since then you have failed to admit to your cockups here.
This is evident by the post above where you pull out one aspect and something known, that in some areas its getting colder. Ignoring everything else.

Laughing

_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 11688
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by Tommy Monk on Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:33 pm

So... what have I posted that is wrong...!?


And if you are agreeing that everything I posted was right... how can you claim that I didn't understand what I posted...!!!???


lol!

Laughing



_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
avatar
Tommy Monk

Posts : 20671
Join date : 2014-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by Didge on Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:36 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:So... what have I posted that is wrong...!?


And if you are agreeing that everything I posted was right... how can you claim that I didn't understand what I posted...!!!???


lol!

Laughing



Read again slowly buddy as to what you did

You posted a thread about the plight of penguins.
Never understanding any of it.
You posted a couple of quotes and then a link from the Express.
Clearly never reading that either.. Laughing
I posted information to help you understand this.
Exposed then, that you never read your link and since then you have failed to admit to your cockups here.
This is evident by the post above where you pull out one aspect and something known, that in some areas its getting colder. Ignoring everything else.

Laughing

_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 11688
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by Didge on Fri Oct 20, 2017 11:43 pm

Now Tommy do you believe in human intervention of climate change? Which is clausing climate change?

Yes or no?

Hence why

You posted a thread about the plight of penguins.
Never understanding any of it.
You posted a couple of quotes and then a link from the Express.
Clearly never reading that either.. Laughing
I posted information to help you understand this.
Exposed then, that you never read your link and since then you have failed to admit to your cockups here.
This is evident by the post above where you pull out one aspect and something known, that in some areas its getting colder. Ignoring everything else.

Laughing

_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 11688
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by Tommy Monk on Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:02 am

I posted a thread about the plight of penguins...

That I fully understood...!


I then posted a couple of quotes and then a link from the Express...

That backed up the OP claim of increased sea ice in the area in question...!


You then posted up stuff that confirmed all of this...!!!


So... unless you can tell us exactly what it is that you disagree with, in what I have posted here...?


Then it can only be the case that you agree with everything I've posted here...!?


You need to provide facts Didge... not your vague assumptions on what you think I have read/understood etc...!


lol!

Laughing


_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
avatar
Tommy Monk

Posts : 20671
Join date : 2014-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by Tommy Monk on Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:33 am

Didge wrote:


New research shows penguins will suffer in a warming world






Posted on 4 August 2016 by dana1981





We know the world is warming, and we know humans are the main reason. But so what? The thing we’d really like to know is, what will the impacts be on our planet, its biodiversity, our society, our economies? It is only through understanding the impacts of climate changethat action for reducing greenhouse gases can be motivated.


This is one of the reasons I was so interested in a very recent study from the University of Delaware, which addressed how penguins will fare in a warming world. The article was published in Scientific Reports and is available open access so anyone with an internet connection can read it here.
Lead author Megan Cimino and her colleagues looked at Adelie penguin populations and asked whether their years of increasing or decreasing population corresponded to warm, cold, or normal temperatures. In the Antarctic, which is where these penguins live, the situation is a bit complex because the land area is large and weather/climate changes are not consistent across the region. 
For instance, large parts of the Western Antarctic Peninsula (WAP) are warming quite rapidly, amongst the most rapid in the world. On the other hand, in the East, some areas are warming just a little while others are cooling slightly. Since Adelie penguins live on the periphery of the ice sheet, they are exposed to a wide range of Antarctic climate regions.


The authors found that penguin colony declines occur preferentially in years where the sea waters are warmer than average. This is in contrast to colonies whose populations are stable or increasing – those occur in normal or cooler waters. This finding was particularly striking when Adelie penguin populations in the WAP (which is warming) were compared with populations elsewhere in the continent. 
This knowledge of past penguin colony health was obtained by actual measurements, primarily satellite data which provided sea surface temperatures and ice extent. But the important extension of this work is into the future. The scientists took their current knowledge of penguin health and climate and asked what will happen to these penguins in the future. 



 Megan Cimino and Matthew Oliver. Photograph: University of Delaware/Megan Cimino


Since we do not have measurements in the future, the scientists used climate models. These models are computer calculations of the actual climate that will exist in the future, and the calculations are based on our best understanding of how the climate system works. Fortunately, climate models have an excellent history in predicting how the future will evolve. While climate models are never perfectly accurate, they give enough information so that researchers like Megan and Matthew can make educated predictions.


The predictions that emerged from the study are that approximately 20% of the penguin populations may be in decline by 2060. As the planet and oceans continue to warm, the pressure on penguins will increase. However, the researchers also report that the penguins will not completely die out. There will remain refugee communities of penguins that exist beyond 2100. We can be grateful for this silver lining.

Click here to read the rest



This article clearly claims that Adelie penguins are killed off by warmer than usual temps in their environment... but stronger and more stable when normal or cooler than usual temperatures are in their environment...!!!


And all based on 'scientific studies'...!!!



But the OP says that a load have died off because it is colder in area than usual, and because there is more sea ice...!!!



lol!



_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
avatar
Tommy Monk

Posts : 20671
Join date : 2014-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:12 am

Cool

Twatface Tommy...

Writes his story based on headlines, but doesn't read the actual story..

Doesn't understand science; but still claims to know more than the scientists.

Doesn't understand climate, but claims to know more than the climatologists. And more than those people actually experiencing extreme and whacky weather firsthand..

Tommy most likely couldn't even find Antarctica on a map -- and yet still claims to know more about it than those actually working there !!!

Truly one deluded twonk, is poor ol' Tommykins..

_________________
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Our life is frittered away by details. Simplify, simplify.
The mass of men lead lives of quite desperation.
Henry David Thoreau
avatar
WhoseYourWolfie

Posts : 5911
Join date : 2016-02-24
Age : 60
Location : Lake Macquarie, NSW, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by Didge on Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:36 am

Tommy Monk wrote:
Didge wrote:


New research shows penguins will suffer in a warming world










Posted on 4 August 2016 by dana1981









We know the world is warming, and we know humans are the main reason. But so what? The thing we’d really like to know is, what will the impacts be on our planet, its biodiversity, our society, our economies? It is only through understanding the impacts of climate changethat action for reducing greenhouse gases can be motivated.


This is one of the reasons I was so interested in a very recent study from the University of Delaware, which addressed how penguins will fare in a warming world. The article was published in Scientific Reports and is available open access so anyone with an internet connection can read it here.
Lead author Megan Cimino and her colleagues looked at Adelie penguin populations and asked whether their years of increasing or decreasing population corresponded to warm, cold, or normal temperatures. In the Antarctic, which is where these penguins live, the situation is a bit complex because the land area is large and weather/climate changes are not consistent across the region. 
For instance, large parts of the Western Antarctic Peninsula (WAP) are warming quite rapidly, amongst the most rapid in the world. On the other hand, in the East, some areas are warming just a little while others are cooling slightly. Since Adelie penguins live on the periphery of the ice sheet, they are exposed to a wide range of Antarctic climate regions.



The authors found that penguin colony declines occur preferentially in years where the sea waters are warmer than average. This is in contrast to colonies whose populations are stable or increasing – those occur in normal or cooler waters. This finding was particularly striking when Adelie penguin populations in the WAP (which is warming) were compared with populations elsewhere in the continent. 

This knowledge of past penguin colony health was obtained by actual measurements, primarily satellite data which provided sea surface temperatures and ice extent.




 Megan Cimino and Matthew Oliver. Photograph: University of Delaware/Megan Cimino


Since we do not have measurements in the future, the scientists used climate models. These models are computer calculations of the actual climate that will exist in the future, and the calculations are based on our best understanding of how the climate system works. Fortunately, climate models have an excellent history in predicting how the future will evolve. While climate models are never perfectly accurate, they give enough information so that researchers like Megan and Matthew can make educated predictions.


The predictions that emerged from the study are that approximately 20% of the penguin populations may be in decline by 2060. As the planet and oceans continue to warm, the pressure on penguins will increase. However, the researchers also report that the penguins will not completely die out. There will remain refugee communities of penguins that exist beyond 2100. We can be grateful for this silver lining.

Click here to read the rest



This article clearly claims that Adelie penguins are killed off by warmer than usual temps in their environment... but stronger and more stable when normal or cooler than usual temperatures are in their environment...!!!


And all based on 'scientific studies'...!!!



But the OP says that a load have died off because it is colder in area than usual, and because there is more sea ice...!!!



lol!









And first prize goes to Tommy for being the worlds biggest idiot.

So is it possible there is more than one type of problem with weather, that effects these penguins?

Showing how delecately balanced the tempreture needs to be or the penguins will suffer?

You do know this happens to many species Tommy?

Or did this not compute with that tiny tiny brain of yours

Did you not also notice that the article states it is looking at the problem? Not that it is definately the problem?

And this is why as seen you are by everyone seen as an utter joke on science, Tiny Tommy.

lol!


Last edited by Didge on Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:40 am; edited 1 time in total

_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 11688
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by Didge on Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:36 am

Tommy Monk wrote:I posted a thread about the plight of penguins...

That I fully understood...!


I then posted a couple of quotes and then a link from the Express...

That backed up the OP claim of increased sea ice in the area in question...!


You then posted up stuff that confirmed all of this...!!!


So... unless you can tell us exactly what it is that you disagree with, in what I have posted here...?


Then it can only be the case that you agree with everything I've posted here...!?


You need to provide facts Didge... not your vague assumptions on what you think I have read/understood etc...!


lol!

Laughing

Now Tommy do you believe in human intervention of climate change? Which is clausing climate change?

Yes or no?

Hence why 

You posted a thread about the plight of penguins.
Never understanding any of it.
You posted a couple of quotes and then a link from the Express.
Clearly never reading that either.. Laughing 
I posted information to help you understand this. 
Exposed then, that you never read your link and since then you have failed to admit to your cockups here.
This is evident by the post above where you pull out one aspect and something known, that in some areas its getting colder. Ignoring everything else.



_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 11688
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by Didge on Sat Oct 21, 2017 4:42 am

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:Cool

Twatface Tommy...

Writes his story based on headlines, but doesn't read the actual story..

Doesn't understand science;  but still claims to know more than the scientists.

Doesn't understand climate, but claims to know more than the climatologists.  And more than those people actually experiencing extreme and whacky weather firsthand..

Tommy most likely couldn't even find Antarctica on a map --  and yet still claims to know more about it than those actually working there  !!!

Truly one deluded twonk, is poor ol' Tommykins..


Its truley embarressing

I sometimes wonder if Tommy is 14.... lol!

_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 11688
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by Tommy Monk on Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:46 pm

It appears that fleakeeper can't read the OP and understand that the quote is from the article... not something I wrote!


And Didge is dodging answering my questions, dodging seeing the glaring contradiction in the 'scientific article' he posted... and has gone into his usual repeat mode that he does when he is made to look a twat!!!


lol!

Laughing



_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
avatar
Tommy Monk

Posts : 20671
Join date : 2014-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by Didge on Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:51 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:It appears that fleakeeper can't read the OP and understand that the quote is from the article... not something I wrote!


And Didge is dodging answering my questions, dodging seeing the glaring contradiction in the 'scientific article' he posted... and has gone into his usual repeat mode that he does when he is made to look a twat!!!


lol!

Laughing




It appears you are not very bright Tommy   Laughing


I mean for starters, how many chicks survived this seasons breeding of Adelie Penguins?

Now you made a comment in your first thread based on climate change did you not?

You then proceeded to make a complete muppet of yourself and are doing the same here.

Like I said, there is many reasons weather based that effect these penguins.

You went off one event. Even worse never understanding the cause for this event. Which has happened before.

Now the one question I highlighted, lets see how smart you really are

Cool

_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 11688
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by Tommy Monk on Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:09 pm

You still haven't answered my question...


I've asked you to point out exactly what I've posted that you disagree with...!?



Well...???


lol!

Laughing



_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
avatar
Tommy Monk

Posts : 20671
Join date : 2014-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by Didge on Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:16 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:You still haven't answered my question...


I've asked you to point out exactly what I've posted that you disagree with...!?



Well...???


lol!

Laughing




I have done that Tommy countless times and yet you still look a complete dummy

Now I know why you could not answer my question.

As if you said 2 chicks, I would laughed my pants off at you.

As this was one of 251 colonies of these penguins. That the disaster happened.

You in your stupidity posted this and by your comment on climate change. As if to argue against this.

Negating any understanding of the penuine colonies or how climate change effects them.



As Manisha Ganguly reports for CNN, the devastating event was caused by unusually high amounts of sea ice surrounding the Adélie penguins’ breeding ground. The ice forced adult penguins to travel farther for food, and by the time they returned, most of the chicks had died of starvation.



"This devastating event contrasts with the image that many people might have of penguins." Rod Downie, head of Polar Programs at World Wildlife Fund, says in a statement. "It’s more like ‘Tarantino does Happy Feet, with dead penguin chicks strewn across a beach in Adélie Land​."

It is the second time in recent years that the colony has suffered a “catastrophic breeding failure,” as the WWF put it in its statement. In 2015, not a single chick survived after rains and a subsequent cold spell caused them to freeze to death.

The Adélie penguin is the smallest and most ubiquitous Antarctic penguin species. Between October and February, the penguins gather on coastlines across Antarctica to breed. The chick die-off occurred at the start of 2017, affecting a colony of about 36,000 penguins, which are monitored by researchers with France's National Center for Scientific Research (CNRS).

Quantities of sea ice in polar regions fluctuate every year, but as the Associated Press reports, climate change has made the variations more extreme. Adélie penguins are deeply affected by changes to their habitat; a recent study projected that between 25 and 58 percent of the birds’ colonies may be in decline by 2060.

Environmental officials are meeting this week in Hobart, Australia to discuss the possible creation of a Marine Protected Area off the coast of eastern Antarctica. The zone would prohibit krill fishing in the area, thereby preserving Adélie penguins’ primary food source.

A protected region won’t mitigate the effects of climate change, of course. But as Yan Ropert-Coudert, a marine ecologist at CNRS, tells the AP, it can help decrease fishing and tourism, which also pose a threat to the penguins.

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/all-two-adelie-penguin-chicks-survive-after-catastrophic-breeding-season-180965319/#dJ1bvPboCZx5EPO4.99



So as seen, they are effec ted by many weather problems. Hence my other article was also spot on.. Cool

Also

The Adélie is the littlest, and also the most widespread, species of penguin in the Antarctic.

They might look a bit clumsy on land, but penguins are brilliant swimmers. They can dive down to 180m – though they tend to catch their food (mainly krill and fish) much closer to the surface.

Penguins may seem cute to us, but they're excellent predators and very efficient foragers. Adélies have a feisty attitude too. They’ve been known to take on potential predators – seals or large seabirds – or even attack visiting researchers with their flippers.

Adélie penguins are increasing in Antarctica. However, in areas where climate change is established, Adélie populations have fallen by more than 65% in the past 25 years. The biggest threat to them right now is climate change (other penguins, like gentoos, are better adapted to warmer climates).

So there is only one thing left to ponder.

Do you back your first view, that Global warming is to blame for this disaster?

Yes or no?

Laughing

_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 11688
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:25 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:It appears that fleakeeper can't read the OP and understand that the quote is from the article... not something I wrote!

And Didge is dodging answering my questions, dodging seeing the glaring contradiction in the 'scientific article' he posted... and has gone into his usual repeat mode that he does when he is made to look a twat!!!

lol!

Laughing

Rolling Eyes

You're the one who constantly looks the twat on here,  Tommy...

You contradict yourself with the quotes you attempt to use to back your own warped agendas;  on this topic,  on your climate change denials;  on your nazi revisionism..

You keep on attacking Didge, me, Ben, veya, Andy across various threads--  and you keep on claiming that you know more than the scientists and academics, themselves.

And you have the audacity to call others twats, liars, fools  --  with zero evidence  ?

All the while, the only idiots supporting your idiotic stance are a handful of your equally clueless fellow Floptard fuckwits..


Last edited by WhoseYourWolfie on Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:36 pm; edited 1 time in total

_________________
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Our life is frittered away by details. Simplify, simplify.
The mass of men lead lives of quite desperation.
Henry David Thoreau
avatar
WhoseYourWolfie

Posts : 5911
Join date : 2016-02-24
Age : 60
Location : Lake Macquarie, NSW, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by Tommy Monk on Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:30 pm

So Didge still can't point out anything I've said here that is wrong...!!!???


lol!


And fleakeeper sill can't understand the OP was a quote from the BBC article of the link showing in OP...!


What a twat...!!!


lol!



_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
avatar
Tommy Monk

Posts : 20671
Join date : 2014-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by Didge on Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:32 pm

Oh dear Tommy has gone into meltdown mode, after being made to look very silly

Priceless

I shall now leave him to sulk

Cool

_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 11688
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by Tommy Monk on Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:42 pm

Didge posted this a little while ago...


"...As Manisha Ganguly reports for CNN, the devastating event was caused by unusually high amounts of sea ice surrounding the Adélie penguins’ breeding ground. The ice forced adult penguins to travel farther for food, and by the time they returned, most of the chicks had died of starvation..."


Again confirming what the BBC article in OP said...!!!


And the deluded twat thinks he is 'winning'...!!!


Most amusing!!!


lol!

Laughing


_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
avatar
Tommy Monk

Posts : 20671
Join date : 2014-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by Didge on Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:45 pm

Indeed it does confirm that climate change is causing this in parts of Antartica. That sees in some parts cooling and others warming, effecting the weather.

It also points out how many other colonies are effected by climate change with warming in the area.

Two causes that create mass problems for the penguins.

I love it when Tommy desperately tries to dig himself out of a hole. Never for one minuite thinking about the other 250 colonies.

Priceless


_________________
Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.

-- Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
avatar
Didge

Posts : 11688
Join date : 2016-06-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by Tommy Monk on Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:56 pm

But Didge... you posted a 'scientific' article earlier that specifically said that the adelie penguins thrived in colder than usual times... but the op is showing that this was a colder than usual time resulting in more sea ice, and the penguins suffered tens of thousands of chicks died...!



_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
avatar
Tommy Monk

Posts : 20671
Join date : 2014-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Antarctic Adélie penguin chicks wiped out because of too much sea ice

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum