Plus-size mother-to-be 'is FIRED from her bank job' after her steamy topless photoshoot with her fiancé that promoted body positivity went viral

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Plus-size mother-to-be 'is FIRED from her bank job' after her steamy topless photoshoot with her fiancé that promoted body positivity went viral

Post by HoratioTarr on Sun Oct 01, 2017 3:26 pm

First topic message reminder :

A plus-size woman says she has been fired from her bank job after her steamy topless photoshoot with her fiancé went viral.
Stephanie, from Texas, was widely praised for promoting body confidence after the pictures of her and her partner Arryn were shared online.

But she now says her employer has sacked her because they believed the shoot was 'inappropriate' for a 'family-oriented' company.

The bank worker, who is five months pregnant, describes herself as a 'model employee' and says the decision by Austin Bank Texas N.A to fire her was 'hurtful'.

Stephanie told Buzzfeed: 'They said I was topless and it was inappropriate and we’re a family-oriented company.'
She added: 'I was a model employee, I was moving up fast. I had a promotion within seven months. This one thing, for me, was the reason I was booted.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-4937886/Plus-size-woman-FIRED-topless-photoshoot.html
HoratioTarr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Plus-size mother-to-be 'is FIRED from her bank job' after her steamy topless photoshoot with her fiancé that promoted body positivity went viral

Post by Raggamuffin on Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:26 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

This is what you said:

Changing your eating habits so you take in fewer calories is going on a diet, so it's not true to say that diets don't work. They do work.

Short term diets don't work long term, and a diet normally means a person changes what they eat short term.
Changing eating habits means re-educating yourself re food for life....IF you want to maintain a good weight.

Short-term diets do work. After the fat loss, the person can increase the amount of energy taken in, as long as they don't start taking in too many like they did before which resulted in the fat gain. Simply changing your eating habits so you're taking in the correct amount of energy to maintain your present weight won't work, you have to take in less energy than you need.

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Plus-size mother-to-be 'is FIRED from her bank job' after her steamy topless photoshoot with her fiancé that promoted body positivity went viral

Post by gelico on Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:46 pm

a friend of mine has always been on and off diets - she's a big girl

one time i was over her gaff and she said to husband ''don't forget i've going to fat club tonight''

''fat club?'' queried I, ''Is that what you call weight watchers?''

''oh no'' she said, ''this is a proper fat club,,,,a group of us fatties get together once a week, we just sit around drinking wine and eating chocolate and moaning to each other about how fat we are''

FFS!

gelico

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:51 pm

Eating "sensibly" - ie the right amount of energy versus output - will prevent someone from putting on weight, but once that fat has been gained, it's no good just eating "sensibly" - they have to eat fewer calories than they actually need in order to lose fat.

Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:25 pm

gelico wrote:

one time i was over her gaff and she said to husband ''don't forget i've going to fat club tonight''

''oh no'' she said,  ''this is a proper fat club,,,,a group of us fatties get together once a week, we just sit around drinking wine and eating chocolate and moaning to each other about how fat we are''

FFS!

Haha.....at least she is having a laugh about it.

I know quite a few people who are always trying different diets, short term they lose weight, but as soon as they start eating normally again the weight, plus more, piles back on.
Not only that, I think constantly deliberately depriving yourself of foods you like is depressing.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gelico on Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:31 pm

Syl wrote:
gelico wrote:

''oh no'' she said,  ''this is a proper fat club,,,,a group of us fatties get together once a week, we just sit around drinking wine and eating chocolate and moaning to each other about how fat we are''

FFS!

I know quite a few people who are always trying different diets, short term they lose weight, but as soon as they start eating normally again the weight, plus more, piles back on.
Not only that, I think constantly deliberately depriving yourself of foods you like is depressing.

i know, it's a lifestyle change. anything temporary will only have temporary results

my friend was explaining to me that she would diet for say 3-4 weeks being really good and seeing real progress and feeling great et al. BUT she only had to break it by eating one small thing, say just a small milky way or something and she said ''once i've eaten it it's like something in my mind says i'm a failure and that's a trigger to eat just about everything in the house, including the plates''

lol!

i did tell her that she should just eat it and enjoy it and know that she deserves a treat now and then and to just carry on with the diet but,,,,,

gelico

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:37 pm

That's why I was trying to explain to Rags that you have to change the way you view food and educate yourself to eat healthily.....NOT diet, which must be totally depressing as soon as you have a slip up.
I could not bare the thought of being deprived chocolate or a glass of wine....and knowing you cant have it for a month or so would just set me off craving for it.

I feel for the fat kids of today, they will possibly be the ones with obesity problems all their lives.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk on Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:45 pm

Raggs and Syl... you are both saying the same thing... and both right...!

If you are eating more than is needed to maintain a consistent weight then you will gain weight.

If you are eating less than is needed to maintain a consistent weight then you will lose weight.

Extra exercise will always work towards the burning of more calories, and improving fitness level, improving circulation, reducing 'bad cholesterol' level in blood, improve body function in the way food is digested/absorbed and used as energy, improve general happiness/feeling of wellbeing, improve your social life by being out and about more and having more social interaction with others etc...

But extra exercise on its own without a reduction in food/calorie intake will likely only result in either then just being where current weight is maintained at the same level or still putting on more weight but at a slower rate of increase, OR where you just start developing extra muscle mass and still adding more weight because the extra muscle is 3 times heavier than fat...!

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
Tommy Monk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gelico on Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:51 pm

Syl wrote:That's why I was trying to explain to Rags that you have to change the way you view food and educate yourself to eat healthily.....NOT diet, which must be totally depressing as soon as you have a slip up.
I could not bare the thought of being deprived chocolate or a glass of wine....and knowing you cant have it for a month or so would just set me off craving for it.

I feel for the fat kids of today, they will possibly be the ones with obesity problems all their lives.

exactly!

i've always said as long as you eat healthily enough most of the time you can treat yourself now and again

rags isn't arguing that you're wrong from what i can tell, she is just making a valid point. i get what she is saYING though, and she's right in that for example, if you were used to walking a mile to work and a mile back each day quite briskly, but still ate too much of the wrong stuff then you would remain fat.  if you cut down slightly on your crap food intake you would lose weight.  if however you cut down on the crap food intake but then took the bus to work and back it would make no difference as it is very much burning up more than you take in which causes weight loss.

i'm lucky that i love salad and most vegetables. i also eat a fair bit of fruit (not poisoned myself yet) so feel ok hogging  a choc bar now and then,,,,,

gelico

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk on Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:00 pm

Syl wrote:
gelico wrote:

FFS!

But the problem is that they don't 'start eating normally again'... they go back to eating too much again... which may well be what they normally did... but was what caused their problem in the first place!!!

What they need to do after losing weight is to START EATING A NEW NORMAL DIET THAT IS NOT WHAT THEY 'NORMALLY DID BEFORE"...!

Start eating a diet that maintains weight level... not go back to the old ways that added weight!

Simple really!!!

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
Tommy Monk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:06 pm

gelico wrote:
Syl wrote:That's why I was trying to explain to Rags that you have to change the way you view food and educate yourself to eat healthily.....NOT diet, which must be totally depressing as soon as you have a slip up.

exactly!

i've always said as long as you eat healthily enough most of the time you can treat yourself now and again

rags isn't arguing that you're wrong from what i can tell, she is just making a valid point.  i get what she is saYING though, and she's right in that for example, if you were used to walking a mile to work and a mile back each day quite briskly, but still ate too much of the wrong stuff then you would remain fat.  if you cut down slightly on your crap food intake you would lose weight.  if however you cut down on the crap food intake but then took the bus to work and back it would make no difference as it is very much burning up more than you take in which causes weight loss.

i'm lucky that i love salad and most vegetables. i also eat a fair bit of fruit (not poisoned myself yet) so feel ok hogging  a choc bar now and then,,,,,

Excercise is just as important as food.
Sad tht so many people now just slump in front of computers and drive everywhere (and I'm guilty of both) but there has to be a happy medium somewhere.

I'm like you re food, I love salads, fish, fruit and all the stuff people call a mediterranean diet....with a nice glass of chilled wine though. Laughing

Last edited by Syl on Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk on Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:07 pm

You don't have to go without chocolate or wine...!!!

They are both good for you, and part of a balanced diet...!!!

Laughing

If you dont believe me then I can explain...

Tommy Monk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:09 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:

Laughing

I do believe you, and I love both of them....but I know people who diet and they deprive themselves of all the good stuff they enjoy, and it just doesn't work long term.

And even if it did.....would life be worth living? Laughing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:10 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:
Syl wrote:

But the problem is that they don't 'start eating normally again'... they go back to eating too much again... which may well be what they normally did... but was what caused their problem in the first place!!!

What they need to do after losing weight is to START EATING A NEW NORMAL DIET THAT IS NOT WHAT THEY 'NORMALLY DID BEFORE"...!

Start eating a diet that maintains weight level... not go back to the old ways that added weight!

Simple really!!!

Tommy that's what I have been saying....you just said it clearer. Cool

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gelico on Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:16 pm

Syl wrote:
gelico wrote:

exactly!

rags isn't arguing that you're wrong from what i can tell, she is just making a valid point.  i get what she is saYING though, and she's right in that for example, if you were used to walking a mile to work and a mile back each day quite briskly, but still ate too much of the wrong stuff then you would remain fat.  if you cut down slightly on your crap food intake you would lose weight.  if however you cut down on the crap food intake but then took the bus to work and back it would make no difference as it is very much burning up more than you take in which causes weight loss.

Sad tht so many people now just slump in front of computers and drive everywhere (and I'm guilty of both) but there has to be a happy medium somewhere.

I'm like you re food, I love salads, fish, fruit and all the stuff people call a mediterranean diet....with a nice glass of chilled wine though. Laughing

i dont do fish except tuna out of a can or maybe cod in batter. i eat chicken though and deffo with you on the wine issue although tbh you say 'a' glass, i say 3 but whatever

but for me it's not so much about not being overweight but when i eat unhealthily it affects all of me

my energy levels slump
my mood goes down, negative
i lose focus
i get irritable

i do find myself getting in to bad habits quite easily tbh (i have no idea why i do that to myself) but i can pull myself out of it and when i do

energy levels back
mood up
focussed
happy

so, to conclude, sometimes i'm a bit of a food twat and i'm the only one who suffers for it

note to self,,,,,,,,

yep, thanks for this convo syl, i'm now off to eat an orange, brb

gelico

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:29 pm

Lol....night night. x

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk on Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:33 pm

Syl wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:

Laughing

I do believe you, and I love both of them....but I know people who diet and they deprive themselves of all the good stuff they enjoy, and it just doesn't work long term.

I have loads of good stuff all the time... and I am not fat...!

Tommy Monk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:06 pm

You get used to not eating chocolate or drinking wine though.

Put it this way. If a person needs 2,000 calories a day, and they eat 2,500 they're going to put on weight. If they cut back so they eat 2,000 a day, they won't lose weight, they'll just maintain their current weight. They have to eat fewer calories than they need - ie, maybe 1,500 a day.

When they've lost the weight, they need to adjust for the lower weight obviously, but they can eat more than 1,500 calories as long as they don't go back to the number of calories they were eating before the diet.

Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:10 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:
Syl wrote:

Simple really!!!

Exactly. That's why it's not accurate to say that diets don't work, it's more accurate to say that people don't stick to them, or they start eating too many calories again.

Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:12 pm

Syl wrote:
gelico wrote:

exactly!

Of course exercise is important - for many reasons - but you need to do an awful lot to actually lose fat. It's much easier to not eat something than to do a load of exercise.

Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk on Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:16 pm

Yes Raggs... spot on!

Tommy Monk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:27 pm

Syl wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:

Laughing

The trouble is that some people aren't very good at eating fattening things in moderation. They're the ones who plan to have one biscuit and end up eating the whole packet. If they don't eat any biscuits, they often don't miss them eventually. If they do miss them, they could eat a whole packet but only once in a while. It all depends on the person. I know people who can eat one square of chocolate a day, but I couldn't do that.

Would life be worth living? That depends on whether someone wants to be slim more than they want to eat fattening things. Laughing

Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:34 am

Raggamuffin wrote:

Put it this way. If a person needs 2,000 calories a day, and they eat 2,500 they're going to put on weight. If they cut back so they eat 2,000 a day, they won't lose weight, they'll just maintain their current weight. They have to eat fewer calories than they need - ie, maybe 1,500 a day.

When they've lost the weight, they need to adjust for the lower weight obviously, but they can eat more than 1,500 calories as long as they don't go back to the number of calories they were eating before the diet.

Alternatively they could, once they have lost the weight, actually enjoy food, throw away the scales, eat healthily when they are hungry, have the odd treat, and do a bit of excercise, even if thats just walking more and getting out and about.

That would probably work better and be a lot more fun than obsessing about calories.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gelico on Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:43 am

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Alternatively they could, once they have lost the weight, actually enjoy food, throw away the scales, eat healthily when they are hungry, have the odd treat, and do a bit of excercise, even if thats just walking more and getting out and about.

That would probably work better and be a lot more fun than obsessing about calories.

that's exactly what i s aid to another friend who again has always tried different diets - she's not as big as the other girl but kind of obsesses over different methods

one time she was visiting me and i was about to knock up some lunch. i offered her some but she refused cos she was on some weird diet regime that meant you could only eat green stuff with no meat (or snacks) or some such but she looked washed out to me so i ignored her

i had cooked up some chicken already so i cut it up into tiny pieces like you would give to birds, together with loads of different salad stuff, again chopped up really small. i splashed a dob of mayo in and then spread it over riveta crispbreads (about half inch high) and she wolfed down one, then ate another one more slowly and told me she was full and couldn't manage the third one - told her she had eaten about 100 calories max. it filled her up for hours

Rolling Eyes

gelico

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:55 am

gelico wrote:
Syl wrote:

that's exactly what i s aid to another friend who again has always tried different diets - she's not as big as the other girl but kind of obsesses over different methods

one time she was visiting me and i was about to knock up some lunch.  i offered her some but she refused cos she was on some weird diet regime that meant you could only eat green stuff with no meat (or snacks) or some such but she looked washed out to me so i ignored her

i had cooked up some chicken already so i cut it up into tiny pieces like you would give to birds, together with loads of different salad stuff, again chopped up really small.  i splashed a dob of mayo in and then spread it over riveta crispbreads (about half inch high) and she wolfed down one, then ate another one more slowly and told me she was full and couldn't manage the third one - told her she had eaten about 100 calories max.  it filled her up for hours

Rolling Eyes

Its mad to become obsessed like that, and boring for everyone else.
I have a friend who is positively skinny, she worries and frets about food all the time. When i see her i get a list of everything she has eaten that day....every single thing. Rolling Eyes

We used to go for long walks together, stopping off at the cafe in the garden centre, where she would have a drink and ONE biscuit out of a packet of two.....i would have a big cake. Razz

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:06 am

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Once they've lost the weight, yes, that would be sensible. Until then, they have to consume less calories than they expend, and the easiest way to do that is to go on a diet.

The trouble is that for some people the "odd treat" because more like an "everyday treat". Laughing

They should keep the scales though and weigh themselves maybe once a week or once a month, otherwise they might convince themselves that their trousers are a bit tight because they shrank in the wash. Razz

Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:47 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Syl wrote:

Once they've lost the weight, yes, that would be sensible. Until then, they have to consume less calories than they expend, and the easiest way to do that is to go on a diet.

The trouble is that for some people the "odd treat" because more like an "everyday treat". Laughing

They should keep the scales though and weigh themselves maybe once a week or once a month, otherwise they might convince themselves that their trousers are a bit tight because they shrank in the wash. Razz

Apart from jeans, most of my trousers have lycra in them now, legging types you just pull on and off with no zips or buttons, so its easy to not realise you have put weight on.
That could be one reason so many women are fat......I have noticed that many young women are twice the size of their partners....blame the lycra.  Laughing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:32 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Apart from jeans, most of my trousers have lycra in them now, legging types you just pull on and off with no zips or buttons, so its easy to not realise you have put weight on.
That could be one reason so many women are fat......I have noticed that many young women are twice the size of their partners....blame the lycra.  Laughing

Ah yes, stretchy trousers, especially with elasticated waists - they can hide a fair amount of weight gain. Laughing

Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr on Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:01 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Everyone was thin when I was younger. We walked everywhere and there was no junk food like now. Junk food came in in the 80s.
HoratioTarr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Wed Oct 04, 2017 3:45 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Syl wrote:

Everyone was thin when I was younger.    We walked everywhere and there was no junk food like now.   Junk food came in in the 80s.

Funny, I remember having pizza, Twinkies and Dream Fluff doughnuts in the 60's, french fries and vanilla cokes in the 50's, and Kentucky Fried Chicken in the 70's.

Don't get much better 'n that. Razz

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:28 pm

How heavy are you? All this crap food came from America in the first place. Sad
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:45 pm

nicko wrote:How heavy are you?    All this crap food came from America in the first place. Sad

Haha...perhaps that's why America is the Big Dog. Remember, to be a Big Dog you gotta be able to pee in the tall grass. Laughing

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr on Wed Oct 04, 2017 4:49 pm

Original Quill wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

Everyone was thin when I was younger.    We walked everywhere and there was no junk food like now.   Junk food came in in the 80s.

Funny, I remember having pizza, Twinkies and Dream Fluff doughnuts in the 60's, french fries and vanilla cokes in the 50's, and Kentucky Fried Chicken in the 70's.

Don't get much better 'n that.  Razz

I never ate that kind of food when I was a kid. We had Wimpy here in the UK and that was it. No McDonalds. And they were too expensive a treat to have. I remember my mum buying sweets from the pick and mix for us on a Saturday night and that was it. We never had dessert after a meal, and she cooked it all from scratch. I tasted a Twinkie once. It was like eating sweetened lard. The most vile thing I've tasted. And those God awful Krispy Kreme. That's not a doughnut. And the least said about Hershey bars the better.
HoratioTarr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:04 pm

The figures are shocking....obesity is rising and its a condition that is self inflicted in the majority of cases..

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:06 pm

We did have junk food in the '60s and '70s. We had crisps, chocolate bars, sweets, and fizzy drinks.

We didn't have many ready meals I guess, and we certainly never had anything like pizza or Indian takeaways. We had those Vesta meals though. Razz

Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:07 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

I never ate that kind of food when I was a  kid.   We had Wimpy here in the UK and that was it.   No McDonalds.  And they were too expensive a treat to have.   I remember my mum buying sweets from the pick and mix for us on a Saturday night and that was it.   We never had dessert after a meal, and she cooked it all from scratch.   I tasted a Twinkie once.  It was like eating sweetened lard.   The most vile thing I've tasted.   And those God awful Krispy Kreme.   That's not a doughnut.   And the least said about Hershey bars the better.  

We had a Wimpy too, and I used to go in there and have a Brown Derby. I think you can still get them.

Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:10 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

I never ate that kind of food when I was a  kid.   We had Wimpy here in the UK and that was it.   No McDonalds.  And they were too expensive a treat to have.   I remember my mum buying sweets from the pick and mix for us on a Saturday night and that was it.   We never had dessert after a meal, and she cooked it all from scratch.   I tasted a Twinkie once.  It was like eating sweetened lard.   The most vile thing I've tasted.   And those God awful Krispy Kreme.   That's not a doughnut.   And the least said about Hershey bars the better.  

You've changed your thesis. You said there was no junk food prior to the 80's; now you are saying only that you didn't partake in junk food.

Neither did I, but that doesn't mean I don't remember junk food back then.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:14 pm

Original Quill wrote:
nicko wrote:How heavy are you?    All this crap food came from America in the first place. Sad

Haha...perhaps that's why America is the Big Dog.  Remember, to be a Big Dog you gotta be able to pee in the tall grass. Laughing

It comes at a price though.

"The percentage of children with obesity in the United States has more than tripled since the 1970s. Today, about one in five school-aged children (ages 6–19) has obesity."

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:19 pm

Original Quill wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

You've changed your thesis.  You said there was no junk food prior to the 80's; now you are saying only that you didn't partake in junk food.

We have always had sweets, chocolates, pop etc....well since rationing ended in the early 50's we have.
We didn't have many food outlets ...I can only remember the Wimpy bar....no McDonalds, Kentucky, Pizza places etc.
Not that many people ate out pre 60's or 70's anyway.....the eating and snacking out as the norm rather than cooking at home has come about in the last 30 years or so.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by gelico on Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:23 pm

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

You've changed your thesis.  You said there was no junk food prior to the 80's; now you are saying only that you didn't partake in junk food.

We have always had sweets, chocolates, pop etc....well since rationing ended in the early 50's we have.
We didn't have many food outlets ...I can only remember the Wimpy bar....no McDonalds, Kentucky, Pizza places etc.
Not that many people ate out pre 60's or 70's anyway.....the eating and snacking out as the norm rather than cooking at home has come about in the last 30 years or so.

we would eat out at the wimpey on occasion.  it used to be really good value actually, i would go with friends as a teenager for a bit of a blow out,,,,  sometimes as a family on a saturday we would do early morning swimming then it would be traipsing round getting all the shopping, after which we would sometimes end up at the wimpey or a cafe called the Golden Egg.  Apart from that I dont remember any fast food outlets except indian, chinese.  we didn't have 3-4 chicken takeaways and pizza parlours in every high street, that's for sure

we did used to have fish and chips on a friday from the local chippie though - again it was not expensive

Last edited by gelico on Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:25 pm; edited 1 time in total

gelico

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:23 pm

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

It was more of a marketing ploy than anything. Probably the food in real restaurants was equally shit. It was the idea of the franchise that came along; fast food only filled the gap.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:24 pm

Have to say, you are taking a subject that is extremely complicated and reducing it to the blame factor.

Scientists now know a huge number of things cause obesity:

https://prevention.nih.gov/prevention-research/research-highlights/obesity/scientific-advances

The genetics of Obesity: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2906751/

http://time.com/4233241/air-pollution-obesity-diabetes/

There are many pharmaceutical drugs that can cause weight gain as a side effect.

Examples include diabetes medication, antidepressants, antipsychotics, etc.

These drugs don't cause a "willpower deficiency" - they alter the function of the body and brain, making it selectively store fat instead of burning it.

Another hormone that is crucial in obesity is Leptin.

This hormone is produced by the fat cells and is supposed to send signals to the hypothalamus (the part of our brain that controls food intake) that we're full and need to stop eating.

Obese people have lots of fat and lots of leptin. The problem is that the leptin isn't working as it should, because for some reason the brain becomes resistant to it (7).

This is called leptin resistance and is believed to be a leading factor in the pathogenesis of obesity.

And that is just for starters.

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:27 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:

It was more of a marketing ploy than anything.  Probably the food in real restaurants was equally shit.  It was the idea of the franchise that came along; fast food only filled the gap.

It certainly caters for parents who cant be bothered to cook for their kids.
Even places like Asda, Sainsburies, most other supermarkets that have cafes, are filled with kids in school uniforms eating junk at tea time instead of having proper home cooked food.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:31 pm

gelico wrote:
Syl wrote:

we would eat out at the wimpey on occasion.  it used to be really good value actually, i would go with friends as a teenager for a bit of a blow out,,,,  sometimes as a family on a saturday we would do early morning swimming then it would be traipsing round getting all the shopping, after which we would sometimes end up at the wimpey or a cafe called the Golden Egg.  Apart from that I dont remember any fast food outlets except indian, chinese.  we didn't have 3-4 chicken takeaways and pizza parlours in every high street, that's for sure

we did used to have fish and chips on a friday from the local chippie though - again it was not expensive

It was a treat back then, now its the norm.

The good old Fish and chip shop, we have one in Wales which is brilliant, lovely fresh fish and the chips are perfect.
Sadly in many places fish and chips are now sold as an afterthought from the Chinese takeaway....and they are nowhere near as nice.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:41 pm

sassy wrote:Have to say, you are taking a subject that is extremely complicated and reducing it to the blame factor.

https://prevention.nih.gov/prevention-research/research-highlights/obesity/scientific-advances

The genetics of Obesity:  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2906751/

There are many pharmaceutical drugs that can cause weight gain as a side effect.

These drugs don't cause a "willpower deficiency" - they alter the function of the body and brain, making it selectively store fat instead of burning it.

This hormone is produced by the fat cells and is supposed to send signals to the hypothalamus (the part of our brain that controls food intake) that we're full and need to stop eating.

Obese people have lots of fat and lots of leptin. The problem is that the leptin isn't working as it should, because for some reason the brain becomes resistant to it (7).

This is called leptin resistance and is believed to be a leading factor in the pathogenesis of obesity.

I think we have  mentioned that in a minority of cases medical conditions and medication can cause weight to pile on and be difficult to lose.
But in the majority of cases obesity is still caused by eating too much, eating the wrong foods, and exercising too little.

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Obesity/Pages/Causes.aspx

"Obesity is generally caused by eating too much and moving too little.
If you consume high amounts of energy, particularly fat and sugars, but don't burn off the energy through exercise and physical activity, much of the surplus energy will be stored by the body as fat.
Calories
The energy value of food is measured in units called calories. The average physically active man needs about 2,500 calories a day to maintain a healthy weight, and the average physically active woman needs about 2,000 calories a day.
This amount of calories may sound high, but it can be easy to reach if you eat certain types of food. For example, eating a large takeaway hamburger, fries and a milkshake can total 1,500 calories – and that's just one meal. For more information, read our guide to understanding calories.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Tommy Monk on Wed Oct 04, 2017 5:49 pm

sassy wrote:Have to say, you are taking a subject that is extremely complicated and reducing it to the blame factor.

The genetics of Obesity:  https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2906751/

Caused by too much fructose...!!!

Dietary fructose reduces circulating insulin and leptin ... - NCBI - NIH
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15181085
J Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2004 Jun;89(6):2963-72. Dietary fructose reduces circulating insulin and leptin,

Tommy Monk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2