Misunderstandings.

Go down

Misunderstandings.

Post by Syl on Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:07 pm

So....OH cant drive (hand in plaster) and I choose not to, so today we are waiting outside Asda for a taxi to take us (and our heavy bags) home.
Unfortunately for us its the Eid celebrations when many Muslims are not working, and as the majority of the taxi drivers round here are  Muslim, taxis were very hard to get hold of...however, we rang and waited patiently with others till ours arrived.
No problems...in fact we got happily talking to others who were waiting, however one man with his wife was moaning constantly.
He was told the reason why the hold up was happening, and said loud enough for bystanders to hear..."so its because of this Ramadan shite we are all waiting"...no one bothered to correct him, even his wife ignored him.

He then left, deciding to walk home presumably....taking the Asda trolley with him. Rolling Eyes

Then a car pulls up (ignorant man parks directly in the taxi rank blocking the space of any taxi that may eventually arrive) man gets out....his wife in Muslim dress appears, and loudly complains to him that a man has looked at her dress and remarked she was wearing it because of 'this Ramadan shite'....her husband reacts very aggressively to this, demanding to know who said this.

Now I would have happily explained what had happened, that the  man who said it was ignorant and had left anyway,  his sari wearing wife had not been directly insulted as she thought, and the husband was parked so he was blocking the long awaited taxis.....but I just couldn't be bothered with all the drama.  

Just shows how misunderstandings can happen though.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Misunderstandings.

Post by Raggamuffin on Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:12 pm

I'm more interested in why you choose not to drive. Razz Do you have a licence?

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by magica on Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:13 pm

Yes, wars have been fought through just that.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:15 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I'm more interested in why you choose not to drive. Razz Do you have a licence?

Razz

I thought that was the least interesting detail of the story.
Yes I have a licence....I think I have gotten so used to OH driving since he retired I have just gotten out of the habit.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:19 pm

magica wrote:Yes, wars have been fought through just that.

If her husband had not been so arrogant, he drove right up to a queue of people waiting for cabs, and parked his big 4x4 right in front of us...in a space clearly marked out for TAXIS.....I would have said something, because she was clearly annoyed, even though she was mistaken.
Then he was so aggressive after she spoke to him....all for nothing because the man who had said it had long gone.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by magica on Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:21 pm

Lol and it wasn't aimed at her in the first place.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:26 pm

Misunderstanding Mags....like you say, wars, no doubt murders, and definitely fallings out can happen because of them.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:29 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:I'm more interested in why you choose not to drive. Razz Do you have a licence?

Razz

Yes I have a licence....I think I have gotten so used to OH driving since he retired I have just gotten out of the habit.

You did exactly the right thing. Stay out of it. Mad

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:32 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:

Razz

You did exactly the right thing.  Stay out of it.  Mad

Stay out of what Quill...the driving seat or the potential argument at Asda? Smile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr on Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:34 pm

Syl wrote:

Razz

I can't imagine not driving. I'll drive anywhere, at any time, and through anything.
HoratioTarr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:38 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Syl wrote:

Razz

I can't imagine not driving.  I'll drive anywhere, at any time, and through anything.  

I have never really enjoyed driving, though I always have ...OH loves it, and I like being driven.
Actually with OH being in a sling its been a bit inconvenient, he should be OK again from Monday, but I might get back into practice again.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:52 pm

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

You did exactly the right thing.  Stay out of it.  Mad

Stay out of what Quill...the driving seat or the potential argument at Asda? Smile

The potential argument. The problem with creed issues is they carry their own validity. If someone says thou shalt not steal... it's a reference to a mutually accepted premise; but if someone says Alla says... there's no grounds for agreement.

The argument was going to become a creed issue.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Fri Sep 01, 2017 9:02 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Syl wrote:

The potential argument.  The problem with creed issues is they carry their own validity.  If someone says thou shalt not steal... it's a reference to a mutually accepted premise; but if someone says Alla says... there's no grounds for agreement.

It would have been easy to console the woman who was convinced she, not her religion had been insulted....the man hadn't addressed his remark to her at all, he was fuming because no taxis were forthcoming....in fact I didn't even see her when he said it, she could have got it second hand....which is often how misunderstandings happen. Laughing

You are right though...its often wiser to stay out of other peoples dramas.....especially when they are already bordering on the nasty.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:10 pm

Syl wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

The potential argument.  The problem with creed issues is they carry their own validity.  If someone says thou shalt not steal... it's a reference to a mutually accepted premise; but if someone says Alla says... there's no grounds for agreement.

It would have been easy to console the woman who was convinced she, not her religion had been insulted....the man hadn't addressed his remark to her at all, he was fuming because no taxis were forthcoming....in fact I didn't even see her when he said it, she could have got it second hand....which is often how misunderstandings happen. Laughing

You are right though...its often wiser to stay out of other peoples dramas.....especially when they are already bordering on the nasty.

Yes, it was coming.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum