Diana, 20 years on.

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Diana, 20 years on.

Post by Syl on Thu Aug 31, 2017 1:17 pm

First topic message reminder :

Its the 20th anniversary of Princess Diana's death today.
The papers, TV, and internet have been running stories about her for the last coupleof weeks, culminating in todays vigils around the country to remember the 'Peoples princess'.

Do you approve of all the publicity this woman still generates....or are you sick and tired of hearing about her and believe she should be forgotten about, or at least left alone to rest in peace?


_________________
My body is in Manchester (sometimes) my mind's all over the place (always)
Happy now??
avatar
Syl

Posts : 11769
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down


Re: Diana, 20 years on.

Post by Raggamuffin on Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:06 pm

I don't really like that song either. It's a bit OTT and just gave Elton John even more attention.

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 28889
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Diana, 20 years on.

Post by Tommy Monk on Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:07 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Jules wrote:

Let me explain how.

KK and her 4 sisters got rich & famous via a reality show about their home lives. The genius business brain of their mum made them all millionaires  from an early age (teenage onwards).  That is how it all started.

They all have lucrative contracts with top firms too, and regular deals with glossy magazines.  Some have their own personal cosmetic and designer companies. Additionally they all marry or date SERIOUSLY wealthy sports stars and musicians.  


Britons  are equally obsessed with reality shows and we throw huge mountains of cash at talentless reality stars.  TOWIE, Geordie Shore,  Jungle celebs,  Goggle box, CBBC etc etc etc. These Z-listers made millions and they are all  'famous for being famous.'


So, Tommy ... now you know!  No mystery really.  

I'm not obsessed with reality shows. I can't understand what people see in them. I must admit that a lot of Brits do seem to like them though. Razz


Or so we are told... although the overwhelming vast majority of people I know, can't stand them!

_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
avatar
Tommy Monk

Posts : 18728
Join date : 2014-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Diana, 20 years on.

Post by Raggamuffin on Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:09 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I'm not obsessed with reality shows. I can't understand what people see in them. I must admit that a lot of Brits do seem to like them though. Razz


Or so we are told... although the overwhelming vast majority of people I know, can't stand them!

I know people who like them, mostly women. Surprised

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 28889
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Diana, 20 years on.

Post by magica on Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:10 pm

Neither can I, its cheap Tele imo.

I think Your Song would've been better, or one written for her.

I think like you Rags, Elton just wanted his day in the limelight. She was more friendlier with George Micheal than him.

_________________
__________________________________________________________________________________

Don't walk behind I may not lead
Don't walk in front I may not follow
Just walk beside me and be my friend.
avatar
magica

Posts : 1665
Join date : 2016-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Diana, 20 years on.

Post by Syl on Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:12 pm

magica wrote:
Syl wrote:Anyway, for the ones who saw through all the lies about her throughout her marriage, after her marriage, and then after her death, here's a lovely tribute, sung by Elton John, to a lovely lady.




Not all lies. I hate this song, so bloody condescending.

I know you love her Syl, but we don't all idolize like you, although, as I said, I liked her.  She was good but I'm sick to death of the papers banging on about her, especially since before she died, the Sun was slagging her off rotten.

I don't idolise anyone Mags....I liked her, and as a woman I sympathised and could see how badly she was treated.
You don't have to read about her if you don't want to...and surely no one with any taste reads the Sun anyway. tongue

_________________
My body is in Manchester (sometimes) my mind's all over the place (always)
Happy now??
avatar
Syl

Posts : 11769
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Diana, 20 years on.

Post by magica on Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:16 pm

Syl wrote:
magica wrote:

Not all lies. I hate this song, so bloody condescending.

I know you love her Syl, but we don't all idolize like you, although, as I said, I liked her.  She was good but I'm sick to death of the papers banging on about her, especially since before she died, the Sun was slagging her off rotten.

I don't idolise anyone Mags....I liked her, and as a woman I sympathised and could see how badly she was treated.
You don't have to read about her if you don't want to...and surely no one with any taste reads the Sun anyway. tongue

I don't read the Sun ner, I think all papers lie or twist the truth Wink

You have pm, if you check

_________________
__________________________________________________________________________________

Don't walk behind I may not lead
Don't walk in front I may not follow
Just walk beside me and be my friend.
avatar
magica

Posts : 1665
Join date : 2016-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Diana, 20 years on.

Post by nicko on Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:30 pm

Thank you SYL. I read the Sun, and so does my Wife and Daughter, I told them someone said they have no taste, -----------They said a rude word.
avatar
nicko

Posts : 8125
Join date : 2013-12-07
Age : 76
Location : rainbow bridge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Diana, 20 years on.

Post by Raggamuffin on Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:31 pm

nicko wrote:Thank you SYL. I read the Sun, and so does my Wife and Daughter,  I told them someone said they have no taste, -----------They said a rude word.  

Was it "boobs"? Laughing

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 28889
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Diana, 20 years on.

Post by Syl on Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:33 pm

nicko wrote:Thank you SYL. I read the Sun, and so does my Wife and Daughter,  I told them someone said they have no taste, -----------They said a rude word.  

Well they do have some taste Nicko....they could have been reading the Mail. Razz

_________________
My body is in Manchester (sometimes) my mind's all over the place (always)
Happy now??
avatar
Syl

Posts : 11769
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Diana, 20 years on.

Post by magica on Fri Sep 01, 2017 8:34 pm

nicko wrote:Thank you SYL. I read the Sun, and so does my Wife and Daughter,  I told them someone said they have no taste, -----------They said a rude word.  

Bet it was damn and blast. Razz

_________________
__________________________________________________________________________________

Don't walk behind I may not lead
Don't walk in front I may not follow
Just walk beside me and be my friend.
avatar
magica

Posts : 1665
Join date : 2016-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Diana, 20 years on.

Post by Jules on Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:40 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Jules wrote:

Let me explain how.

KK and her 4 sisters got rich & famous via a reality show about their home lives. The genius business brain of their mum made them all millionaires  from an early age (teenage onwards).  That is how it all started.

They all have lucrative contracts with top firms too, and regular deals with glossy magazines.  Some have their own personal cosmetic and designer companies. Additionally they all marry or date SERIOUSLY wealthy sports stars and musicians.  


Britons  are equally obsessed with reality shows and we throw huge mountains of cash at talentless reality stars.  TOWIE, Geordie Shore,  Jungle celebs,  Goggle box, CBBC etc etc etc. These Z-listers made millions and they are all  'famous for being famous.'


So, Tommy ... now you know!  No mystery really.  

I'm not obsessed with reality shows. I can't understand what people see in them. I must admit that a lot of Brits do seem to like them though. Razz

I cannot believe I generalised like that.  Shocked I tell people off for generalising then I go and do the same thing. It was an error  --- I omitted the word 'SOME'.


Should have written:  SOME Britons are equally obsessed.
Personally I NEVER watch big brother or any of these reality shows, either. Stopped watching them many years ago.


I also mistakenly wrote 'CBBC' for 'CBB'  ..... deffo Freudian!  lol!  lol!

_________________
Don't let the world change your smile
avatar
Jules

Posts : 1729
Join date : 2016-07-30
Location : Vantage Point

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Diana, 20 years on.

Post by Jules on Fri Sep 01, 2017 11:46 pm

Diana's informal, relaxed style brought a breath of fresh air to the stuffy RF.  She was the first royal to forego gloves - and she was not afraid to shake anyone's hand (skin to skin) no matter what disease they suffered from.

_________________
Don't let the world change your smile
avatar
Jules

Posts : 1729
Join date : 2016-07-30
Location : Vantage Point

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Diana, 20 years on.

Post by HoratioTarr on Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:43 pm

The Royals wearing gloves thing? That was more from an era where gloves were part of your outfit, like the hat.
avatar
HoratioTarr

Posts : 6315
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Diana, 20 years on.

Post by magica on Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:14 pm

Yes so they didn't dirty their hands shaking with the peasants, as we were back in the day. But all the royals apart from the queen never did or have worn gloves tbh.

_________________
__________________________________________________________________________________

Don't walk behind I may not lead
Don't walk in front I may not follow
Just walk beside me and be my friend.
avatar
magica

Posts : 1665
Join date : 2016-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Diana, 20 years on.

Post by HoratioTarr on Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:50 pm

magica wrote:Yes so they didn't dirty their hands shaking with the peasants, as we were back in the day. But all the royals apart from the queen never did or have worn gloves tbh.

The Royal women ALL wore gloves from way back. Queen mum. Margaret. Anne. Just like they all wear hats. It completes the ensemble. And there are dozens of photos of the Queen not wearing gloves and shaking hands with the public. And when did you last see Prince Philip wearing gloves. He never has and never does, yet he shakes hands with everyone. So the 'they won't shake hands with the peasants' jibe just isn't true.
avatar
HoratioTarr

Posts : 6315
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Diana, 20 years on.

Post by Jules on Mon Sep 04, 2017 1:26 pm

When the young royals visited her grave they cut such sad figures in the pouring rain. My God, it's sad enough visiting graves in good weather.

_________________
Don't let the world change your smile
avatar
Jules

Posts : 1729
Join date : 2016-07-30
Location : Vantage Point

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Diana, 20 years on.

Post by magica on Mon Sep 04, 2017 4:04 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
magica wrote:Yes so they didn't dirty their hands shaking with the peasants, as we were back in the day. But all the royals apart from the queen never did or have worn gloves tbh.

The Royal women ALL wore gloves from way back.  Queen mum.  Margaret.  Anne.  Just like they all wear hats.   It completes the ensemble.    And there are dozens of photos of the Queen not wearing gloves and shaking hands with the public.   And when did you last see Prince Philip wearing gloves.   He never has and never does, yet he shakes hands with everyone.   So the 'they won't shake hands with the peasants' jibe just isn't true.  

I said as we were back in the day we were all known as peasants. 100, 200 years ago and so on. The royalty then didn't shake hands, if they did they wore gloves. That's what I'm saying.

_________________
__________________________________________________________________________________

Don't walk behind I may not lead
Don't walk in front I may not follow
Just walk beside me and be my friend.
avatar
magica

Posts : 1665
Join date : 2016-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Diana, 20 years on.

Post by Syl on Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:52 pm

I don't think you will find many photos even today where the queen is not wearing gloves when shaking hands with the general public.
Her lady in waiting carries 3 or 4 spare pairs in her bag when the queen is meeting and greeting, to replace the ones that have gotten soiled shaking the peasants hands.   queen

_________________
My body is in Manchester (sometimes) my mind's all over the place (always)
Happy now??
avatar
Syl

Posts : 11769
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Diana, 20 years on.

Post by HoratioTarr on Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:02 pm

Syl wrote:I don't think you will find many photos even today where the queen is not wearing gloves when shaking hands with the general public.
Her lady in waiting carries 3 or 4 spare pairs in her bag when the queen is meeting and greeting, to replace the ones that have gotten soiled shaking the peasants hands.   queen

There's quite a few if you Google it.

To be honest, if I were shaking and touching hands of the dozens of the public, I'd wear gloves too.   I can catch about 8 colds a year due to what I do for a living and that's just with private clients.   Sounds like common sense to me.   Rolling Eyes

Here's a piece from Maj's glove maker.

When you think of Queen Elizabeth II, you probably have a very distinct outfit in your mind: colored suit, hat, handbag, and of course a pair of gloves that help her make the most regal of waves.

Cornelia James glove makers have been in charge of the royal gloves since the founder made gloves for Queen Elizabeth II’s honeymoon in 1947. Genevieve James, creative director and daughter of the founder, says the Queen wears gloves for a few reasons. Not only would an outfit with a hat and handbag look utterly unfinished without gloves, but they protect her hands from dirt and damage when shaking hands all day. But that doesn’t mean she comes home with a pair of grimy gloves. “I imagine she always has two or three pairs in her handbag to spare,” says James. By the way, you’ll never guess the real reason Queen Elizabeth carries a purse or why she wears bright outfits all the time.

The Queen will also get the gloves washed and repaired rather than tossing each £110 ($140) pair out as soon as they see any damage. “I think the royal family wants to be seen as being economical, not wasting money on things like that,” says James. “She’ll wear her gloves for 40 years and will pull some out from a long time ago.” Instead of buying a new pair every week, the Queen usually makes a big order of, say, three dozen pairs, then won’t go back the rest of the year.

Queen Elizabeth II typically wears the gloves from the Francesca or (fittingly) Regina collection, with the length custom-made. Her gloves stretch five inches from the base of the thumb up the arm. “When you’re the queen and you’re shaking hands, you don’t really want to show your arms,” says James. “The glove goes a bit under her [sleeve], so you don’t actually see any arm.” Each pair takes about 45 minutes to an hour to make, she says.

For years, the Queen’s classic gloves have been made of brushed cotton. Recently, though, she requested something a bit lighter, so James found Swiss cotton jersey from a factory in Switzerland. “I ordered 70 meters, which is a lot of gloves, but it’s the queen,” James says.

Queen Elizabeth II isn’t James’ only royal client. Princess Anne comes to Cornelia James, and James says her mom was responsible for getting Princess Diana into gloves. “Princess Diana never wore gloves for a long time, and my mother noticed she bit her nails,” says James. “She said she should wear gloves. The next day we got a call from the palace … and Diana asked for gloves.” Check out more fashion tips to steal from Princess Diana.

Cornelia James Ltd. has also made gloves for Kate Middleton. The Duchess of Cambridge is a fan of merino wool gloves with a bow from the Imogen collection—the same ones Taylor Swift wore in her “Blank Space” music video. Some of James’ other famous clients include Rihanna, Madonna, and the Harry Potter, Downton Abbey, and Mama Mia casts.
avatar
HoratioTarr

Posts : 6315
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Diana, 20 years on.

Post by Syl on Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:27 pm

Oh I don't blame her, just pointing out earlier that one of the ways Diana was different to stuffy Royal protocol is that she seldom wore gloves, yet touched lepers, aids sufferers, and homeless people alike with bare hands....which made her very endearing to the public.

_________________
My body is in Manchester (sometimes) my mind's all over the place (always)
Happy now??
avatar
Syl

Posts : 11769
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Diana, 20 years on.

Post by HoratioTarr on Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:37 pm

Syl wrote:Oh I don't blame her, just pointing out earlier that one of the ways Diana was different to stuffy Royal protocol is that she seldom wore gloves, yet touched lepers, aids sufferers, and homeless people alike with bare hands....which made her very endearing to the public.

She was good at that. I think she genuinely had compassion, but I also believe she was highly manipulative.
avatar
HoratioTarr

Posts : 6315
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Diana, 20 years on.

Post by Syl on Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:51 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Syl wrote:Oh I don't blame her, just pointing out earlier that one of the ways Diana was different to stuffy Royal protocol is that she seldom wore gloves, yet touched lepers, aids sufferers, and homeless people alike with bare hands....which made her very endearing to the public.

She was good at that.   I think she genuinely had compassion, but I also believe she was highly manipulative.  
I think she had to be in order to survive inside that horribly uncaring family.

I also think she paved the way for others who joined after she did.
.
For one her sons have some of her spirit and thankfully are not as wet as Charles obviously was.
Two....they learned from their mistakes and seem not to rule Kate (and Harrys wife when he marries) with the same strictness that Diana was confined to.

_________________
My body is in Manchester (sometimes) my mind's all over the place (always)
Happy now??
avatar
Syl

Posts : 11769
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum