Sologomy: People Are Now Marrying Themselves

Go down

Sologomy:  People Are Now Marrying Themselves  Empty Sologomy: People Are Now Marrying Themselves

Post by eddie on Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:02 pm

Sologomy: Woman who helps others self-marry reveal what takes place in the ceremonies

Over the past few years, there has been a rise in ‘self-marriage’. This being quite as literal as it sounds – making a commitment to a deep, meaningful relationship with just yourself.

Self-marriage, otherwise known as sologamy, is not legally recognised but has been on a steady rise in recent years. In many cases, it can mirror traditional weddings with various case studies and news stories showing women in wedding dresses stood alongside their bridesmaids and wearing a wedding ring.

Dominique, from California, runs a self-marriage ceremonies website which assists people who wish to make that commitment to themselves. She says the community of people willing to do so is growing

She held her own ceremony in 2011, aged 22, after “practicing self-love for many years”, where she lit candles in her bedroom and vowed to be “kind and compassionate to myself, especially when I make mistakes”. Prior to this, she travelled across India for six months to connect with her own self-love after dedicating her career and studies to researching the subject.

While the trend has mainly been ascribed to women, who make up the majority of Dominique's clientele, she has worked with a few men. The reasons why people may self-marry vary.

“Most of the time it is a deep call from inside, the feeling that this would be the next step to living a life full of love, what is needed to commit more deeply to treat ourselves better,” she says. “Sometimes the call happens during a life transition for example when someone has broken up with their partner or got a divorce, is about to get married to someone else, or is longing to meet a life partner and knows that self-marriage is the first step.”

She lists the four components to self-marriage as: becoming your own lover and best friend, connecting with and committing to your deeper purpose, uniting all the aspects of yourself – even those which contradict each other and harmonising your external relationships and circumstances.

However, the movement is often met with cynicism and mockery. Dominique says she has experienced a mixed reaction to her own matrimony, admitting some do think it’s “crazy”.

What does she say to people who accuse those who self-marry of attention seeking and label it as nonsense?

“My experience is that most people who criticise self-marriage don't understand the full extent of it, or they see the world in a very different way than I see it. It can be thought of as something selfish or ridiculous, but when you actually take the time to consider what it really means, it is the most selfless thing a person can do: to commit to first know love within them, so they can more fully give love and be love in the world.

“For me, marrying yourself is not a performance or display of ‘look at me and how worthy of love I am!’ in some way that diminishes other people—it is a full claiming of the miracle of a single life, not separate from any other life. It is a celebration and an honouring in the deepest sense of a life in service to love and to me, this is something truly selfless, truly generous.”


http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/love-sex/sologomy-women-self-marry-ceremonies-rings-what-happens-california-a7644576.html


Sound like egocentrical loons who need to go fuck themselves. Razz

_________________
I left my soul there
Down by the sea
I lost control here
Living free
- Morcheeba
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 38252
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sologomy:  People Are Now Marrying Themselves  Empty Re: Sologomy: People Are Now Marrying Themselves

Post by Syl on Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:14 pm

Ooooh, I love me who do you love? I love you

If these people actually took their head out of their arses long enough to meet and fall in love with someone else, would they have to divorce themselves in order to get married in the normal way??

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
Syl
Syl

Posts : 18923
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sologomy:  People Are Now Marrying Themselves  Empty Re: Sologomy: People Are Now Marrying Themselves

Post by magica on Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:33 pm

I always used to say to people who loved themselves, why don't you marry yourself. Now they are Shocked Madness.
magica
magica

Posts : 3041
Join date : 2016-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sologomy:  People Are Now Marrying Themselves  Empty Re: Sologomy: People Are Now Marrying Themselves

Post by Original Quill on Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:40 pm

The wedding is much cheaper. And you can go wherever you want on the honeymoon.

But you don't get as many gifts.

_________________
“Little thieves are hanged, but great thieves are praised.” — Old Russian proverb, offered by Vladimir Putin to Donald J. Trump, Helsinki, July, 2018.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Normal is broken.

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill
Original Quill

Posts : 28392
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 54
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sologomy:  People Are Now Marrying Themselves  Empty Re: Sologomy: People Are Now Marrying Themselves

Post by Syl on Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:41 pm

I sometimes think I would like a few more friends just like me....but that's cos I am great company. Razz

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
Syl
Syl

Posts : 18923
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sologomy:  People Are Now Marrying Themselves  Empty Re: Sologomy: People Are Now Marrying Themselves

Post by Raggamuffin on Fri Aug 11, 2017 6:53 pm

What a good idea - no arguments or fighting over the remote. Razz

_________________

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

Posts : 33171
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sologomy:  People Are Now Marrying Themselves  Empty Re: Sologomy: People Are Now Marrying Themselves

Post by eddie on Fri Aug 11, 2017 7:40 pm

Hahahahaha some great responses.

Seriously though, question for everyone:

Would you marry a version of yourself?

_________________
I left my soul there
Down by the sea
I lost control here
Living free
- Morcheeba
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 38252
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sologomy:  People Are Now Marrying Themselves  Empty Re: Sologomy: People Are Now Marrying Themselves

Post by magica on Fri Aug 11, 2017 9:04 pm

I married the mirror Sologomy:  People Are Now Marrying Themselves  3852033631 lol!
magica
magica

Posts : 3041
Join date : 2016-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sologomy:  People Are Now Marrying Themselves  Empty Re: Sologomy: People Are Now Marrying Themselves

Post by Syl on Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:12 pm

I wouldnt want to marry a version of myself....i would have no one to argue with. Sologomy:  People Are Now Marrying Themselves  3201073460

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
Syl
Syl

Posts : 18923
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sologomy:  People Are Now Marrying Themselves  Empty Re: Sologomy: People Are Now Marrying Themselves

Post by Victorismyhero on Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:45 am

Raggamuffin wrote:What a good idea - no arguments or fighting over the remote. Razz

there are some on here that could argue with themselves......

_________________
If at any time in 2018 I have annoyed you, pissed you off or said the wrong thing....Suck it up snowflake, cause 2019 AINT gonna be any different

Patience my Ass......I' m gonna KILLsomething

.(It's hard to remember that the task is to drain the swamp, when you are up to your arse in alligators)

[b]I DONT BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Posts : 10419
Join date : 2015-11-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sologomy:  People Are Now Marrying Themselves  Empty Re: Sologomy: People Are Now Marrying Themselves

Post by Raggamuffin on Sat Aug 12, 2017 9:02 am

Lord Foul wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:What a good idea - no arguments or fighting over the remote. Razz

there are some on here that could argue with themselves......

True - I know someone like that. lol!

_________________

"I could be wrong now, but I don't think so!
Raggamuffin
Raggamuffin

Posts : 33171
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sologomy:  People Are Now Marrying Themselves  Empty Re: Sologomy: People Are Now Marrying Themselves

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:47 am

eddie wrote:
Sologomy: Woman who helps others self-marry reveal what takes place in the ceremonies

Over the past few years, there has been a rise in ‘self-marriage’. This being quite as literal as it sounds – making a commitment to  a deep, meaningful relationship with just yourself.

Self-marriage, otherwise known as sologamy, is not legally recognised but has been on a steady rise in recent years. In many cases, it can mirror traditional weddings with various case studies and news stories showing women in wedding dresses stood alongside their bridesmaids and wearing a wedding ring.

Dominique, from California, runs a self-marriage ceremonies website which assists people who wish to make that commitment to themselves. She says the community of people willing to do so is growing

She held her own ceremony in 2011, aged 22, after “practicing self-love for many years”, where she lit candles in her bedroom and vowed to be “kind and compassionate to myself, especially when I make mistakes”. Prior to this, she travelled across India for six months to connect with her own self-love after dedicating her career and studies to researching the subject.

While the trend has mainly been ascribed to women, who make up the majority of Dominique's clientele, she has worked with a few men. The reasons why people may self-marry vary.

“Most of the time it is a deep call from inside, the feeling that this would be the next step to living a life full of love, what is needed to commit more deeply to treat ourselves better,” she says. “Sometimes the call happens during a life transition for example when someone has broken up with their partner or got a divorce, is about to get married to someone else, or is longing to meet a life partner and knows that self-marriage is the first step.”

She lists the four components to self-marriage as: becoming your own lover and best friend, connecting with and committing to your deeper purpose, uniting all the aspects of yourself – even those which contradict each other and harmonising your external relationships and circumstances.

However, the movement is often met with cynicism and mockery. Dominique says she has experienced a mixed reaction to her own matrimony, admitting some do think it’s “crazy”.

What does she say to people who accuse those who self-marry of attention seeking and label it as nonsense?

“My experience is that most people who criticise self-marriage don't understand the full extent of it, or they see the world in a very different way than I see it. It can be thought of as something selfish or ridiculous, but when you actually take the time to consider what it really means, it is the most selfless thing a person can do: to commit to first know love within them, so they can more fully give love and be love in the world.

“For me, marrying yourself is not a performance or display of ‘look at me and how worthy of love I am!’ in some way that diminishes other people—it is a full claiming of the miracle of a single life, not separate from any other life. It is a celebration and an honouring in the deepest sense of a life in service to love and to me, this is something truly selfless, truly generous.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/love-sex/sologomy-women-self-marry-ceremonies-rings-what-happens-california-a7644576.html

Sound like egocentrical loons who need to go fuck themselves. Razz

Sologomy:  People Are Now Marrying Themselves  3489511464

Sologomy:  People Are Now Marrying Themselves  4211521542

_________________
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Our life is frittered away by details. Simplify, simplify.
The mass of men lead lives of quite desperation.
Henry David Thoreau
WhoseYourWolfie
WhoseYourWolfie

Posts : 7150
Join date : 2016-02-24
Age : 61
Location : Lake Macquarie, NSW, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sologomy:  People Are Now Marrying Themselves  Empty Re: Sologomy: People Are Now Marrying Themselves

Post by Fred Moletrousers on Sat Aug 12, 2017 5:54 pm

eddie wrote:
Sologomy: Woman who helps others self-marry reveal what takes place in the ceremonies

Over the past few years, there has been a rise in ‘self-marriage’. This being quite as literal as it sounds – making a commitment to  a deep, meaningful relationship with just yourself.

Self-marriage, otherwise known as sologamy, is not legally recognised but has been on a steady rise in recent years. In many cases, it can mirror traditional weddings with various case studies and news stories showing women in wedding dresses stood alongside their bridesmaids and wearing a wedding ring.

Dominique, from California, runs a self-marriage ceremonies website which assists people who wish to make that commitment to themselves. She says the community of people willing to do so is growing

She held her own ceremony in 2011, aged 22, after “practicing self-love for many years”, where she lit candles in her bedroom and vowed to be “kind and compassionate to myself, especially when I make mistakes”. Prior to this, she travelled across India for six months to connect with her own self-love after dedicating her career and studies to researching the subject.

While the trend has mainly been ascribed to women, who make up the majority of Dominique's clientele, she has worked with a few men. The reasons why people may self-marry vary.

“Most of the time it is a deep call from inside, the feeling that this would be the next step to living a life full of love, what is needed to commit more deeply to treat ourselves better,” she says. “Sometimes the call happens during a life transition for example when someone has broken up with their partner or got a divorce, is about to get married to someone else, or is longing to meet a life partner and knows that self-marriage is the first step.”

She lists the four components to self-marriage as: becoming your own lover and best friend, connecting with and committing to your deeper purpose, uniting all the aspects of yourself – even those which contradict each other and harmonising your external relationships and circumstances.

However, the movement is often met with cynicism and mockery. Dominique says she has experienced a mixed reaction to her own matrimony, admitting some do think it’s “crazy”.

What does she say to people who accuse those who self-marry of attention seeking and label it as nonsense?

“My experience is that most people who criticise self-marriage don't understand the full extent of it, or they see the world in a very different way than I see it. It can be thought of as something selfish or ridiculous, but when you actually take the time to consider what it really means, it is the most selfless thing a person can do: to commit to first know love within them, so they can more fully give love and be love in the world.

“For me, marrying yourself is not a performance or display of ‘look at me and how worthy of love I am!’ in some way that diminishes other people—it is a full claiming of the miracle of a single life, not separate from any other life. It is a celebration and an honouring in the deepest sense of a life in service to love and to me, this is something truly selfless, truly generous.”


http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/love-sex/sologomy-women-self-marry-ceremonies-rings-what-happens-california-a7644576.html


Sound like egocentrical loons who need to go fuck themselves. :P

Unless they discover a way of doing just that, there could be some interesting future law suits requiring evidence of consumation of marriage.
Fred Moletrousers
Fred Moletrousers
MABEL, THE GREAT ZOG

Posts : 2558
Join date : 2014-01-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sologomy:  People Are Now Marrying Themselves  Empty Re: Sologomy: People Are Now Marrying Themselves

Post by eddie on Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:53 am

Hahahahaha I'm glad someone appreciated my joke Wolfie Razz

_________________
I left my soul there
Down by the sea
I lost control here
Living free
- Morcheeba
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 38252
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sologomy:  People Are Now Marrying Themselves  Empty Re: Sologomy: People Are Now Marrying Themselves

Post by eddie on Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:02 pm

And by the way, for any of you contemplating sologomy....

Sologomy:  People Are Now Marrying Themselves  Img_7416

_________________
I left my soul there
Down by the sea
I lost control here
Living free
- Morcheeba
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 38252
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sologomy:  People Are Now Marrying Themselves  Empty Re: Sologomy: People Are Now Marrying Themselves

Post by Syl on Sun Aug 13, 2017 7:46 pm

eddie wrote:And by the way, for any of you contemplating sologomy....

Sologomy:  People Are Now Marrying Themselves  Img_7416

Oh dear. Shocked
They do say many people are attracted to lookalikes don't they.
I married a slim dark man similar to myself....cept he has a big black tash and I don't........... thankfully. Razz

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
Syl
Syl

Posts : 18923
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sologomy:  People Are Now Marrying Themselves  Empty Re: Sologomy: People Are Now Marrying Themselves

Post by eddie on Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:41 pm

So you say. Neutral

_________________
I left my soul there
Down by the sea
I lost control here
Living free
- Morcheeba
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 38252
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Sologomy:  People Are Now Marrying Themselves  Empty Re: Sologomy: People Are Now Marrying Themselves

Post by Guest on Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:32 pm

Syl wrote:Ooooh, I love me who do you love? I love you

If these people actually took their head out of their arses long enough to meet and fall in love with someone else, would they have to divorce themselves in order  to get married in the normal way??


and who gets to keep the dog?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Sologomy:  People Are Now Marrying Themselves  Empty Re: Sologomy: People Are Now Marrying Themselves

Post by veya_victaous on Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:10 am

Lord Foul wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:What a good idea - no arguments or fighting over the remote. Razz

there are some on here that could argue with themselves......

I totally do
But in my defense
sometimes I need an intelligent conversation Cool Cool Cool

_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
veya_victaous
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 19095
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 36
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum