Does this diary prove Jack the Ripper was a Liverpool cotton merchant? Victorian journal found 25 years ago IS the real deal, say experts

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Does this diary prove Jack the Ripper was a Liverpool cotton merchant? Victorian journal found 25 years ago IS the real deal, say experts

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:51 am

[*]Book found beneath floorboards with apparent 'confession' was dismissed
[*]But researcher now believes it may be genuine and holds clues to killings
[*]Memoir of cotton trader appeared to include revelation that he was the Ripper
[*]New book on the discovery now suggests the memoir is authentic 


Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4767434/Jack-Ripper-s-diary-authentic-says-expert.html#ixzz4pFZYrRA3 
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Does this diary prove Jack the Ripper was a Liverpool cotton merchant? Victorian journal found 25 years ago IS the real deal, say experts

Post by Original Quill on Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:22 pm

Pleeze...  Ripper was a Jewish butcher, an immigrant from Poland.  He was identified as "Cohen" in the police blotter, because that was a common practice when they thought racial/religious differences were important: Cohen was a common Jewish name, so much so that it was used by officialdom to indicate religion, not identity.

His real name was Aaron Kosminski.  When later investigators found that there was no one named "Cohen" who could have been the culprit, that started all this speculation and theories about his identity.

_________________
"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Terrorism: "..many fine people, on many sides" ― Donald Trump, Charlottesville, 8.15.17

"Work for America to fail whenever the other party is in power."
― Republican Senator Majority Leader Mitch McConnell

Original Quill

Posts : 20022
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 52
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Does this diary prove Jack the Ripper was a Liverpool cotton merchant? Victorian journal found 25 years ago IS the real deal, say experts

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:27 pm

Original Quill wrote:Pleeze...  Ripper was a Jewish butcher, an immigrant from Poland.  He was identified as "Cohen" in the police blotter, because that was a common practice when they thought racial/religious differences were important: Cohen was a common Jewish name, so much so that it was used by officialdom to indicate religion, not identity.

His real name was Aaron Kosminski.  When later investigators found that there was no one named "Cohen" who could have been the culprit, that started all this speculation and theories about his identity.



Really, since when has the crime be solved?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Does this diary prove Jack the Ripper was a Liverpool cotton merchant? Victorian journal found 25 years ago IS the real deal, say experts

Post by Syl on Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:36 pm

There have been many suspects ranging from butchers to royalty...I don't think the real and original Jack the Ripper will ever be proven beyond doubt though.

_________________
My body is in Manchester (sometimes) my mind's all over the place (always)
Happy now??
avatar
Syl

Posts : 12387
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Does this diary prove Jack the Ripper was a Liverpool cotton merchant? Victorian journal found 25 years ago IS the real deal, say experts

Post by Cass on Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:54 pm

Nope. Just hype from someone selling a new book and trying to make money. No different from the guy hawking the Diana tapes.

Personally I've read many books on this and they all twist the facts to show their prime suspect was JTR.

Personally I believe it was none of the usual suspects, just an average Joe who got his kicks by dismembering them and who probably had never been able to have a satisfactory adult relationship with women and had mummy issues previously. Why did he stop? Could be a variety of reasons. I really believe that we will never know the truth.

_________________
Do you think you'll be the guy - to make the Queen of the Angels sigh?
avatar
Cass
Nerd Queen
Nerd Queen

Posts : 4017
Join date : 2014-01-19
Age : 49

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Does this diary prove Jack the Ripper was a Liverpool cotton merchant? Victorian journal found 25 years ago IS the real deal, say experts

Post by eddie on Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:44 pm

Wasn't there a rumour that he was working for the Queen?

_________________
That was his gift, he filled you with words that you didn't know were there.
avatar
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

Posts : 31834
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 47
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Does this diary prove Jack the Ripper was a Liverpool cotton merchant? Victorian journal found 25 years ago IS the real deal, say experts

Post by Original Quill on Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:49 pm

Cass wrote:Nope. Just hype from someone selling a new book and trying to make money. No different from the guy hawking the Diana tapes.

Personally I've read many books on this and they all twist the facts to show their prime suspect was JTR.

Personally I believe it was none of the usual suspects, just an average Joe who got his kicks by dismembering them and who probably had never been able to have a satisfactory adult relationship with women and had mummy issues previously. Why did he stop? Could be a variety of reasons. I really believe that we will never know the truth.

Some believe that they were performed by different perps. For example, someone says that the first two, Mary Ann Nichols, Annie Chapman, found in lower Whitechapel, might have been committed by a couple of British Army men on leave. Others argue that only Nichols, Chapman, and Catherine Eddowes are linked. The last woman, Mary Jane Kelly's body was the only one found indoors, suggesting a different modus-operandi.

Police Commissioner Charles Warren said that they knew who he was, but it would do no good to reveal the person...leading to speculation that it was someone important, one they were protecting. But it seems the Metro Police were on it. The real Ripper, Aaron Kosminskidied, in an asylum in 1919.

_________________
"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Terrorism: "..many fine people, on many sides" ― Donald Trump, Charlottesville, 8.15.17

"Work for America to fail whenever the other party is in power."
― Republican Senator Majority Leader Mitch McConnell

Original Quill

Posts : 20022
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 52
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Does this diary prove Jack the Ripper was a Liverpool cotton merchant? Victorian journal found 25 years ago IS the real deal, say experts

Post by Cass on Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:08 pm

Quill. I'm quite open to the fact that they were not all related to one single perpetrator. A group would be difficult to keep the secret, especially in light of all the publicity.

I think Warren botched the investigation and said that to try and hold onto his job.

_________________
Do you think you'll be the guy - to make the Queen of the Angels sigh?
avatar
Cass
Nerd Queen
Nerd Queen

Posts : 4017
Join date : 2014-01-19
Age : 49

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Does this diary prove Jack the Ripper was a Liverpool cotton merchant? Victorian journal found 25 years ago IS the real deal, say experts

Post by Original Quill on Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:47 pm

Cass wrote:Quill. I'm quite open to the fact that they were not all related to one single perpetrator. A group would be difficult to keep the secret, especially in light of all the publicity.

I think Warren botched the investigation and said that to try and hold onto his job.

There certainly was a lot to CYA on the part of the Metropolitan Police.

Really, only the newspapers attributed all the murders to one person. There's been nothing official. Musta been a lot of pressure.

_________________
"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Terrorism: "..many fine people, on many sides" ― Donald Trump, Charlottesville, 8.15.17

"Work for America to fail whenever the other party is in power."
― Republican Senator Majority Leader Mitch McConnell

Original Quill

Posts : 20022
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 52
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Does this diary prove Jack the Ripper was a Liverpool cotton merchant? Victorian journal found 25 years ago IS the real deal, say experts

Post by Cass on Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:57 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Cass wrote:Quill. I'm quite open to the fact that they were not all related to one single perpetrator. A group would be difficult to keep the secret, especially in light of all the publicity.

I think Warren botched the investigation and said that to try and hold onto his job.

There certainly was a lot to CYA on the part of the Metropolitan Police.  

Really, only the newspapers attributed all the murders to one person.  There's been nothing official.  Musta been a lot of pressure.

It was a bit of mass hysteria on the media's part, just goes to show it happened before the crap show of social media/reality tv today. If I remember rightly, a lot of it was anti-immigrant in nature.

_________________
Do you think you'll be the guy - to make the Queen of the Angels sigh?
avatar
Cass
Nerd Queen
Nerd Queen

Posts : 4017
Join date : 2014-01-19
Age : 49

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Does this diary prove Jack the Ripper was a Liverpool cotton merchant? Victorian journal found 25 years ago IS the real deal, say experts

Post by Miffs2 on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:41 pm

I read the diary when found all those years ago. I found it compelling. Certainly more believable than Patricia Cornwalls nonsense for example. I did a piece on this at uni. The whole Maybrick story is fascinating. James was Jack the Ripper and his wife Florence was victim of a terrible miscarriage of justice when tried for his murder here in St Grorges Hall in Liverpool
avatar
Miffs2

Posts : 2005
Join date : 2016-03-05
Age : 51

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Does this diary prove Jack the Ripper was a Liverpool cotton merchant? Victorian journal found 25 years ago IS the real deal, say experts

Post by Cass on Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:20 am

Miffs2 wrote:I read the diary when found all those years ago. I found it compelling. Certainly more believable than Patricia Cornwalls nonsense for example. I did a piece on this at uni. The whole Maybrick story is fascinating. James was Jack the Ripper and his wife Florence was victim of a terrible miscarriage of justice when tried for his murder here in St Grorges Hall in Liverpool

Oh god yes, the Cornwell rubbish. It was awful. Ugh.

I think Florence was innocent. He self-administered poisons as an early form of viagra for all of his mistresses. She didn't help herself though by having multiple flings, especially with her brother in law. I know the double standard most unfair but that was what probably got her convicted more than anything. As you say terrible miscarriage of justice.

But as to hub's diary? No. I think he was a vainglorious, self-promoting narcissist. I believed if he wrote it, he lied, or someone else wrote it.
avatar
Cass
Nerd Queen
Nerd Queen

Posts : 4017
Join date : 2014-01-19
Age : 49

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Does this diary prove Jack the Ripper was a Liverpool cotton merchant? Victorian journal found 25 years ago IS the real deal, say experts

Post by magica on Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:16 pm

I always thought Maybrick was the Ripper. Everything I read pointed to him.

I also think there were other murders,not connected to him, but others killing and Ripper got the blame. I also think, as many were killed those days, Ripper did more murders.

_________________
__________________________________________________________________________________

Don't walk behind I may not lead
Don't walk in front I may not follow
Just walk beside me and be my friend.
avatar
magica

Posts : 1806
Join date : 2016-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Does this diary prove Jack the Ripper was a Liverpool cotton merchant? Victorian journal found 25 years ago IS the real deal, say experts

Post by Miffs2 on Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:23 pm

Cass wrote:
Miffs2 wrote:I read the diary when found all those years ago. I found it compelling. Certainly more believable than Patricia Cornwalls nonsense for example. I did a piece on this at uni. The whole Maybrick story is fascinating. James was Jack the Ripper and his wife Florence was victim of a terrible miscarriage of justice when tried for his murder here in St Grorges Hall in Liverpool

Oh god yes, the Cornwell rubbish. It was awful. Ugh.

I think Florence was innocent. He self-administered poisons as an early form of viagra for all of his mistresses. She didn't help herself though by having multiple flings, especially with her brother in law. I know the double standard most unfair but that was what probably got her convicted more than anything. As you say terrible miscarriage of justice.

But as to hub's diary? No. I think he was a vainglorious, self-promoting narcissist. I believed if he wrote it, he lied, or someone else wrote it.


James'. use of Arsenic is certainly documented before he met Florence. She was said to soak fly papers for a face wash which was the thing to do at that time. I don't believe for a second she killed him. She was set up by Michael Maybrick the holy roller brother with the help of the servants.
My ex MIL told me that when she was first married her MIL had an enamel bowl on the dresser in the kitchen, she told her it was handed down from the gran that worked for the Maybricks ( I think she was the servant that took Florence's letter to her lover and gave it to Michael) she said it was the bowl Florence soaked her flypapers in!
I want to read this book, if they have proved its provenance and authenticated the diary then there are things in it not public at the time.
What do you think about James' watch?!
avatar
Miffs2

Posts : 2005
Join date : 2016-03-05
Age : 51

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum