'Rhinestone Cowboy' Glen Campbell dies at 81 after Alzheimer's battle

https://usat.ly/2wFi4nG

Nerd Queen
Nerd Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Glen Campbell

Post by Original Quill on Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:25 pm

He started out in LA as Roy Orbison's studio guitarist.  He was first guitarist on a hit recording called Pretty Woman.

He was suffering from severe dementia in the end, but he still performed.  His wife let him, and said he just did it from rote memory.  Apparently he didn't know where he was or what he was doing, but she said it made him happy.  In 2014 they did a documentary on him.

Most in the audience didn't know they were watching someone who wasn't all there.

Glen Campbell, I"ll Be Me (2014).
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2049586/videoplayer/vi1850387481?ref_=tt_ov_vi

Terrorism: "..many fine people, on many sides" ― Donald Trump, Charlottesville, 8.15.17

“If there is a tit-for-tat escalation Trump will have difficulty improving relations with Russia, which has just thrown U.S.A. election to him,” KT McFarland to Thomas P. Bossert, Trump's aide.
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:17 pm

Galveston, never forgot that one !
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:15 am

Glen Campbell's music was a common mainstay on many Juke boxes down here in the 1970s...

Rhinestone Cowboy, Wichita Linesman, Galveston, Southern Nights..

Henry David Thoreau
WhoseYourWolfie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:47 am

RIP Glen Campbell.
A brilliant singer, musician and song writer.

"And I need you more than want you, and I want you for all time"

I loved his music. x

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:21 am

A great loss. I only really got into his music recently.

May he rest in peace.

king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by magica on Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:20 am

I went to Galveston and kept hearing him singing it in my head lol.

Great singer and musician. At 81 he enjoyed a long life.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:34 am

No one mentions the song that started it all, written by songwriter Jimmy Webb:

Glen Campbell collaborated with Jimmy Webb to start an era.  Webb also wrote The Witchata Lineman and Galvaston.

Yesterday, Webb had this to say:

Jimmy Webb wrote:Well, that moment has come that we have known was an inevitable certainty and yet stings like a sudden catastrophe. Let the world note that a great American influence on pop music, the American Beatle, the secret link between so many artists and records that we can only marvel, has passed and cannot be replaced. He was bountiful. His was a world of gifts freely exchanged: Roger Miller stories, songs from the best writers, an old Merle Haggard record or a pocket knife.

He gave me a great wide lens through which to look at music. The cult of The Players? He was at the very center. He loved the Beach Boys and in subtle ways helped mold their sound. He loved Don and Phil (Everly), Bill Medley and Bobby Hatfield [The Righteous Brothers], Flatt and [Earl] Scruggs [originator of 3-finger picking on the 5-string banjo]. This was the one great lesson that I learned from him as a kid: Musically speaking nothing is out of bounds. Of course, he lavished affection and gifts on his kids, family and friends. His love was a deep mercurial thing and once committed he was a tenacious friend as so many in Nashville and Phoenix, L.A. and New York, compadres all over the world would testify. One of his favorite songs was “Try A Little Kindness” in which he sings “shine your light on everyone you see.” My God. Did he do that or what? Just thinking back I believe suddenly that the “raison d’etre” for every Glen Campbell show was to bring every suffering soul within the sound of his voice up a peg or two. Leave ’em laughin’. Leave them feeling just a little tad better about themselves, even though he might have to make them cry a couple of times to get ’em there. What a majestically graceful and kind, top rate performer was Glen on his worst night!

When it came to friendship Glen was the real deal. He spoke my name from ten thousand stages. He was my big brother, my protector, my co-culprit, my John crying in the wilderness. Nobody liked a Jimmy Webb song as much as Glen! And yet he was generous with other writers: Larry Weiss, Allen Toussaint, John Hartford. You have to look hard for a bad song on a Glen Campbell album. He was giving people their money’s worth before it became fashionable.

I am full of grief. I am writing because I think you deserve some sort of message from me but I am too upset to write very well or at any great length. It’s like waking up in the morning in some Kafkaesque novella and finding that half of you is missing. Laura and I would call upon you to rest your sympathy with Kim Campbell and her children Cal, Shannon and Ashley; his older children Debby, Kelli, Travis, Kane, and Dillon; grandchildren, great- and great-great-grandchildren. Perhaps you could throw in a prayer for the Webb kids, Chris, Justin, Jamie, Corey, Charles and Camila who looked upon him as a kind of wondrous uncle who was a celebrated star and funnier than old dad.

This I can promise. While I can play a piano he will never be forgotten. And after that someone else will revel in his vast library of recordings and pass them on to how many future generations? Possibly to all of them. — Jimmy.

Campbell's real first hit song was as a studio guitarist--the best musicians out of Hollywood Musician Union Local #7, worked for the record studios--for Roy Orbison, who sang Pretty Woman.  Even that song was a passing fad until Richard Gere teamed up with first-time star, Julia Roberts, to make a remake of GB Shaw's Pygmalion, also called Pretty Woman.  (Gere picks up a prostitute, Roberts, and takes her to his Beverly Hilton Suite, where they fall in love and he teaches her to be sophisticated and she teaches him to be a human being.)

What fun connecting the dots of Hollywood.

Last edited by Original Quill on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:59 am; edited 3 times in total

Terrorism: "..many fine people, on many sides" ― Donald Trump, Charlottesville, 8.15.17

“If there is a tit-for-tat escalation Trump will have difficulty improving relations with Russia, which has just thrown U.S.A. election to him,” KT McFarland to Thomas P. Bossert, Trump's aide.
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:40 am

This song was released by his daughter 2 years ago.

Ugh. All the feels in this one. Have a box of tissues handy.

https://youtu.be/os9qM0d9rmk

Last edited by eddie on Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:46 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : To insert video)

Nerd Queen
Nerd Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:41 am

Original Quill wrote:He started out in LA as Roy Orbison's studio guitarist.  He was first guitarist on a hit recording called Pretty Woman.

He was suffering from severe dementia in the end, but he still performed.  His wife let him, and said he just did it from rote memory.  Apparently he didn't know where he was or what he was doing, but she said it made him happy.  In 2014 they did a documentary on him.

Most in the audience didn't know they were watching someone who wasn't all there.

Glen Campbell, I"ll Be Me (2014).
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2049586/videoplayer/vi1850387481?ref_=tt_ov_vi

I think in the last few years, when he was still touring, the audience did know, but were loyal to the end.

I heard someone on the radio talking this morning who toured with him ...he said that even in the places that had the toughest audience, when Glen forgot his words, which he often did, instead of booing, which would be their normal response, they sang along loudly till he caught up.
I thought that was so touching...and really proved how much people loved him and his music.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:47 am

That was so touching Cass. X

king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Cass on Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:03 am

eddie wrote:That was so touching Cass.  X

I howled like a baby. The words and the home movies. It just sums up Alzheimers.

Sniff x

Cheers for the editing x

Nerd Queen
Nerd Queen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:32 am

If John Mayer couldn’t become any more beloved, he is now being hailed for performing a very moving acoustic tribute to the late country singer and actor Glen Campbell. During last night’s performance in Nashville for his Search For Everything tour, the musician crooned a soft rendition of “Gentle on my Mind” – one of Campbell’s most popular songs.

I’m going to play this song with more love than precision. I play it because it’s my favorite song in the world,” Mayer told the crowd at Nashville’s Bridgestone Arena. “Whether I play it right or wrong, I’d rather have played it.”

Campbell, who is known for singing the hit songs “Gentle on my Mind,” “Rhinestone Cowboy,” “By the Time I Get to Phoenix,” “Galveston,” and “Wichita Lineman”, passed away yesterday at the age of 81 after a battle with Alzheimer’s disease.

Campbell personally was chosen by John Wayne to be his co-star in the film True Grit. The guitar player also landed a TV variety show for a few years called The Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour.

During his 50 years in show business, Campbell has released more than 70 albums. He has sold 45 million records and accumulated 12 RIAA Gold albums, 4 Platinum albums and 1 Double-Platinum album.

(WATCH the video below)

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/hear-john-mayers-moving-tribute-late-glen-campbell/

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:41 am

Galveston, memories of Vietnam Crying or Very sad
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:43 am

Cass wrote:This song was released by his daughter 2 years ago.

Ugh. All the feels in this one. Have a box of tissues handy.

https://youtu.be/os9qM0d9rmk

That's beautiful, what a lovely tribute to her dad.
The saddest thing about alzheimer's is the person leaves you long before they die. Sad

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by magica on Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:26 am

Lovely.

Yes Dementia is a terrible illness. Very sad to watch loved ones dying in front of you for years, locked in their own world.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top