Sports Direct Slammed After Notice Appears To Ban Workers From Speaking Welsh

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Sports Direct Slammed After Notice Appears To Ban Workers From Speaking Welsh

Post by Guest on Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:54 am

First topic message reminder :

Sports Direct has faced yet another row over how its staff area treated after issuing a notice which appeared to ban staff in one of its Welsh branches from speaking their own language.

A sign appeared in the Bangor Sports Direct store telling staff members that “it has come to our attention that some members of staff are speaking to each other in languages other than English whilst carrying out their duty”.

It continued: “We would like to take this opportunity to remind staff that they must speak in English at all times while they are at work, in order that they can be understood by all members of staff; this includes any personal conversations that may be taking place during work time.


http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/sports-direct-welsh-banned_uk_59883fdae4b041356ec0cc25?utm_hp_ref=uk

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down


Re: Sports Direct Slammed After Notice Appears To Ban Workers From Speaking Welsh

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:27 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Thorin wrote:


I train people remember.

I love how you attempt to derail the thread and it backfires.

Back to work?

Your pseudo work you mean?   Laughing

Train them in what? How to be twats?


I never qualified in that.

I was hoping you could tell me how you achieved a Master's in this?

Laughing

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Sports Direct Slammed After Notice Appears To Ban Workers From Speaking Welsh

Post by Syl on Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:44 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Syl wrote:

Does your hand ever ache Thor? you clutch at those straws so tightly. Razz

Laters...have a good day. x

Ydych chi'n awgrymu ei fod yn wanker?

Sometimes no translation is needed. Razz

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 12896
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sports Direct Slammed After Notice Appears To Ban Workers From Speaking Welsh

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:46 pm

Syl wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

Ydych chi'n awgrymu ei fod yn wanker?

Sometimes no translation is needed. Razz


So you think I am a wanker?

No problem Syl

lol I see its the little girly gang at best, when easily shown their arguments are poor.

Bring it on.. Cool

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Sports Direct Slammed After Notice Appears To Ban Workers From Speaking Welsh

Post by Syl on Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:54 pm

Thorin wrote:
Syl wrote:

Funny you should say that Thor.
I went to Specsavers in Wales quite recently...they greeted me in English, spoke to me in English, spoke to their colleagues in English, and the written info they gave me was primarily written in English.
Obviously the staff at Spec savers are more aware of customer satisfaction than a minority of workers at Sports Direct. Twisted Evil


Again who cares Syl

So they basically pandered to your ignorance of Welsh by you not even greeting them in Welsh.

i agree that they were very pleasant. So why did you not greet them back in welsh?

I will provide you with the answer

Ignorance

Well you may not care Thor, but I imagine in the long run the management at Sports Direct will care.
The lesson here is that shops and companies who DONT isolate the majority of their workforce, have a happier atmosphere at work, and a contented staff are far more productive....plus they don't get their name splashed all over the internet for negative reasons.

And had I greeted them in Welsh, the odds are they wouldn't have known what the heck I was going on about. Razz

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 12896
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sports Direct Slammed After Notice Appears To Ban Workers From Speaking Welsh

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:59 pm

Syl wrote:
Thorin wrote:


Again who cares Syl

So they basically pandered to your ignorance of Welsh by you not even greeting them in Welsh.

i agree that they were very pleasant. So why did you not greet them back in welsh?

I will provide you with the answer

Ignorance

Well you may not care Thor, but I imagine in the long run the management at Sports Direct will care.
The lesson here is that shops and companies who DONT isolate the majority of their workforce, have a happier atmosphere at work, and a contented staff are far more productive....plus they don't get their name splashed all over the internet for negative reasons.

And had I greeted them in Welsh, the odds are they wouldn't have known what the heck I was going on about. Razz


The lesson here was provided to you by Victor when he entered a shop.

What did he do that you did not do?

He greeted them in Welsh and more than 13% understand Welsh, as that figure is just those who are fluent.

So the lesson here is that nobody would be isolated where two people spoke privately in their own languages. As even in English, people can have conversations where you are not involved in work. You seem to think you should be able to understand everything people discuss with each other. Blimey what would you do when people sign to each other?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Sports Direct Slammed After Notice Appears To Ban Workers From Speaking Welsh

Post by Syl on Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:03 pm

Thorin wrote:
Syl wrote:

Well you may not care Thor, but I imagine in the long run the management at Sports Direct will care.
The lesson here is that shops and companies who DONT isolate the majority of their workforce, have a happier atmosphere at work, and a contented staff are far more productive....plus they don't get their name splashed all over the internet for negative reasons.

And had I greeted them in Welsh, the odds are they wouldn't have known what the heck I was going on about. Razz


The lesson here was provided to you by Victor when he entered a shop.

What did he do that you did not do?

He greeted them in Welsh and more than 13% understand Welsh, as that figure is just those who are fluent.

So the lesson here is that nobody would be isolated where two people spoke privately in their own languages. As even in English, people can have conversations where you are not involved in work. You seem to think you should be able to understand everything people discuss with each other. Blimey what would you do when people sign to each other?

Unless you are at the races people sign to each other for a reason...they cant speak or hear...so that argument doesn't hold water.

You said before the assistant in Spec savers was polite to greet me in English...they all spoke to everyone in English...the assistant had no ide where I was from, she spoke first.

All your arguments fall flat Thor, but I admire your perseverance. Razz

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 12896
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sports Direct Slammed After Notice Appears To Ban Workers From Speaking Welsh

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:06 pm

Syl wrote:
Thorin wrote:


The lesson here was provided to you by Victor when he entered a shop.

What did he do that you did not do?

He greeted them in Welsh and more than 13% understand Welsh, as that figure is just those who are fluent.

So the lesson here is that nobody would be isolated where two people spoke privately in their own languages. As even in English, people can have conversations where you are not involved in work. You seem to think you should be able to understand everything people discuss with each other. Blimey what would you do when people sign to each other?

Unless you are at the races people sign to each other for a reason...they cant speak or hear...so that argument doesn't hold water.

You said before the assistant in Spec savers was polite to greet me in English...they all spoke to everyone in English...the assistant had no ide where I was from, she spoke first.

All your arguments fall flat Thor, but I admire your perseverance. Razz

But you were impolite by not even making an effort to even greet them in Welsh and just presume because they spoke English, that they would not have loved you to greet them this way.



So you are saying all deaf people cannot speak now?

Wow

That has to go down as one of the most prejudice views going you have ever made

I shall wait for you to eat humble pie


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Sports Direct Slammed After Notice Appears To Ban Workers From Speaking Welsh

Post by Syl on Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:08 pm

Thorin wrote:
Syl wrote:

Unless you are at the races people sign to each other for a reason...they cant speak or hear...so that argument doesn't hold water.

You said before the assistant in Spec savers was polite to greet me in English...they all spoke to everyone in English...the assistant had no ide where I was from, she spoke first.

All your arguments fall flat Thor, but I admire your perseverance. Razz

But you were impolite by not even making an effort to even greet them in Welsh and just presume because they spoke English, that they would not have loved you to greet them this way.



So you are saying all deaf people cannot speak now?

Wow

That has to go down as one of the most prejudice views going you have ever made

I shall wait for you to eat humble pie


Reread....did you miss that little word "OR" ? Laughing

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 12896
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sports Direct Slammed After Notice Appears To Ban Workers From Speaking Welsh

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:10 pm

Syl wrote:
Thorin wrote:

But you were impolite by not even making an effort to even greet them in Welsh and just presume because they spoke English, that they would not have loved you to greet them this way.



So you are saying all deaf people cannot speak now?

Wow

That has to go down as one of the most prejudice views going you have ever made

I shall wait for you to eat humble pie


Reread....did you miss that little word "OR" ? Laughing


Never missed a beat petal, which shows some can communicate two ways.

So would your view mean you are excluded if they switched to sign?

In your own time

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Sports Direct Slammed After Notice Appears To Ban Workers From Speaking Welsh

Post by Syl on Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:16 pm

Thorin wrote:
Syl wrote:

Reread....did you miss that little word "OR" ? Laughing


Never missed a beat petal, which shows some can communicate two ways.

So would your view mean you are excluded if they switched to sign?

In your own time

The girl on the vid (incidentally I have seen that video before and loved it) backs up my argument not yours...so thanks for that. Cool
She needs a signer to understand what Simon is saying.

Like I said....unless someone is deaf OR cannot speak.....

In your own time...petal. Razz

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 12896
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sports Direct Slammed After Notice Appears To Ban Workers From Speaking Welsh

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:17 pm

Syl wrote:
Thorin wrote:


Never missed a beat petal, which shows some can communicate two ways.

So would your view mean you are excluded if they switched to sign?

In your own time

The girl on the vid (incidentally I have seen that video before and loved it) backs up my argument not yours...so thanks for that. Cool
She needs a signer to understand what Simon is saying.

Like I said....unless someone is deaf OR cannot speak.....

In your own time...petal. Razz  


She does need a signer to understand back, but there are many who can lip read.

So the point still stands

If two switched two sign, would you feel excluded?

Take your time

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Sports Direct Slammed After Notice Appears To Ban Workers From Speaking Welsh

Post by Syl on Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:19 pm

Thorin wrote:
Syl wrote:

The girl on the vid (incidentally I have seen that video before and loved it) backs up my argument not yours...so thanks for that. Cool
She needs a signer to understand what Simon is saying.

Like I said....unless someone is deaf OR cannot speak.....

In your own time...petal. Razz  


She does need a signer to understand back, but there are many who can lip read.

So the point still stands

If two switched two sign, would you feel excluded?

Take your time

No....now can we back on topic, because the red herrings you are hurling into this debate are beginning to smell very fishy.

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 12896
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sports Direct Slammed After Notice Appears To Ban Workers From Speaking Welsh

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:24 pm

Syl wrote:
Thorin wrote:


She does need a signer to understand back, but there are many who can lip read.

So the point still stands

If two switched two sign, would you feel excluded?

Take your time

No....now can we back on topic, because the red herrings you are hurling into this debate are beginning to smell very fishy.


Priceless because you do not want to come across prejudice but do so because you expect those foreign to do so.

Now the reason I pointed this out is because it is far easier for many deaf people to sign than lip read. Hence why many would switch when communicating to each other.

Just as I have pointed out earlier. Its far easier for people who have English as a second language to speak in their mother tongue when communicating with each other. The point you have appallingly ignored throughout, because you expect all foreign people to be fluent in a very difficult language to master for foreign people. English. Hence the absurdity that you expect them to communicate in English all the time, when they are in personal conversation. Its going to be far easier for them to communicate in what they feel most comfortable. Their own language.

So there is no red herrings, you have unconsciously shown how you can be prejudiced here. As I have just shown

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Sports Direct Slammed After Notice Appears To Ban Workers From Speaking Welsh

Post by Syl on Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:33 pm

Thorin wrote:
Syl wrote:

No....now can we back on topic, because the red herrings you are hurling into this debate are beginning to smell very fishy.


Priceless because you do not want to come across prejudice but do so because you expect those foreign to do so.

Now the reason I pointed this out is because it is far easier for many deaf people to sign than lip read. Hence why many would switch when communicating to each other.

Just as I have pointed out earlier. Its far easier for people who have English as a second language to speak in their mother tongue when communicating with each other. The point you have appallingly ignored throughout, because you expect all foreign people to be fluent in a very difficult language to master for foreign people. English. Hence the absurdity that you expect them to communicate in English all the time, when they are in personal conversation. Its going to be far easier for them to communicate in what they feel most comfortable. Their own language.

So there is no red herrings, you have unconsciously shown how you can be prejudiced here. As I have just shown

And you have shown you pander to the few at the expense of the many for purely selfish reasons, because whether you admit this or not Welsh people speak and understand English a lot better than they speak and understand Welsh....which makes their whole argument seem petty.
In doing so they  bring not only themselves down, but their workmates and the very company that pays their wages.

I hope they...and you, are happy now. Evil or Very Mad

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 12896
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sports Direct Slammed After Notice Appears To Ban Workers From Speaking Welsh

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:37 pm

Syl wrote:
Thorin wrote:


Priceless because you do not want to come across prejudice but do so because you expect those foreign to do so.

Now the reason I pointed this out is because it is far easier for many deaf people to sign than lip read. Hence why many would switch when communicating to each other.

Just as I have pointed out earlier. Its far easier for people who have English as a second language to speak in their mother tongue when communicating with each other. The point you have appallingly ignored throughout, because you expect all foreign people to be fluent in a very difficult language to master for foreign people. English. Hence the absurdity that you expect them to communicate in English all the time, when they are in personal conversation. Its going to be far easier for them to communicate in what they feel most comfortable. Their own language.

So there is no red herrings, you have unconsciously shown how you can be prejudiced here. As I have just shown

And you have shown you pander to the few at the expense of the many, because whether you admit this or not Welsh people speak and understand English a lot better than they speak and understand Welsh....which makes their whole argument seem petty.
In doing so they  bring not only themselves down, but their workmates and the very company that pays their wages.

I hope they...and you, are happy now. Evil or Very Mad


So again you are demanding what language people can and cannot speak in, when in conversation between themselves.

You then invoke some more gibberish claiming they are bringing themselves down, because they do not hold up to some absurd standard you have made for them.
Talk about the worst snobbery, as again many will not be fluent and you are making out as if its criminal if they speak in their own language which will be easier for them. That within their own conversations, they have to always communicate in English.

Again when are you going to learn you cannot enforce your views on people?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Sports Direct Slammed After Notice Appears To Ban Workers From Speaking Welsh

Post by Raggamuffin on Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:42 pm

Syl wrote:
Thorin wrote:


Again who cares Syl

So they basically pandered to your ignorance of Welsh by you not even greeting them in Welsh.

i agree that they were very pleasant. So why did you not greet them back in welsh?

I will provide you with the answer

Ignorance

Well you may not care Thor, but I imagine in the long run the management at Sports Direct will care.
The lesson here is that shops and companies who DONT isolate the majority of their workforce, have a happier atmosphere at work, and a contented staff are far more productive....plus they don't get their name splashed all over the internet for negative reasons.

And had I greeted them in Welsh, the odds are they wouldn't have known what the heck I was going on about. Razz

I totally agree with that. If staff are distant from each other, there can't be a happy atmosphere. Getting on with colleagues is extremely important, probably the most important thing.

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 29345
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sports Direct Slammed After Notice Appears To Ban Workers From Speaking Welsh

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:44 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Syl wrote:

Well you may not care Thor, but I imagine in the long run the management at Sports Direct will care.
The lesson here is that shops and companies who DONT isolate the majority of their workforce, have a happier atmosphere at work, and a contented staff are far more productive....plus they don't get their name splashed all over the internet for negative reasons.

And had I greeted them in Welsh, the odds are they wouldn't have known what the heck I was going on about. Razz

I totally agree with that. If staff are distant from each other, there can't be a happy atmosphere. Getting on with colleagues is extremely important, probably the most important thing.


But many workers do the same as English people and you cannot force people to get along with each other.
You can ask that they be professional when dealing with each other.

The point is here, that there is no reason why you could not get on with some foreign people if at times they spoke their own language between themselves at times. I have had many 3 way conversations with foreign friends, because some are not fluent in English.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Sports Direct Slammed After Notice Appears To Ban Workers From Speaking Welsh

Post by Raggamuffin on Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:52 pm

Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I totally agree with that. If staff are distant from each other, there can't be a happy atmosphere. Getting on with colleagues is extremely important, probably the most important thing.


But many workers do the same as English people and you cannot force people to get along with each other.
You can ask that they be professional when dealing with each other.

The point is here, that there is no reason why you could not get on with some foreign people if at times they spoke their own language between themselves at times. I have had many 3 way conversations with foreign friends, because some are not fluent in English.

These employees can speak fluent English though, so it's not the same thing. They just choose to speak Welsh.

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 29345
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sports Direct Slammed After Notice Appears To Ban Workers From Speaking Welsh

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:55 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Thorin wrote:


But many workers do the same as English people and you cannot force people to get along with each other.
You can ask that they be professional when dealing with each other.

The point is here, that there is no reason why you could not get on with some foreign people if at times they spoke their own language between themselves at times. I have had many 3 way conversations with foreign friends, because some are not fluent in English.

These employees can speak fluent English though, so it's not the same thing. They just choose to speak Welsh.


They may well feel Welsh is their first language and thus prefer to speak in Welsh.

I mean they are Welsh after all.

Again its none of your business to say they have to speak in English between themselves

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Sports Direct Slammed After Notice Appears To Ban Workers From Speaking Welsh

Post by Raggamuffin on Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:58 pm

Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

These employees can speak fluent English though, so it's not the same thing. They just choose to speak Welsh.


They may well feel Welsh is their first language and thus prefer to speak in Welsh.

I mean they are Welsh after all.

Again its none of your business to say they have to speak in English between themselves

It's not your business either. You're the one lecturing others about why you think Sports Direct got it wrong, and some people are disagreeing with you. If none of it is anyone's business, you wasted your time starting this thread, unless you were just spamming.

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 29345
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sports Direct Slammed After Notice Appears To Ban Workers From Speaking Welsh

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:06 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Thorin wrote:


They may well feel Welsh is their first language and thus prefer to speak in Welsh.

I mean they are Welsh after all.

Again its none of your business to say they have to speak in English between themselves

It's not your business either. You're the one lecturing others about why you think Sports Direct got it wrong, and some people are disagreeing with you. If none of it is anyone's business, you wasted your time starting this thread, unless you were just spamming.


Its the business of the Welsh actually as, you cannot discriminate against them on their language.

Hence why the company made a very quick backtrack.

So why are you not respecting the Welsh who wish to speak Welsh?

Also the number that can speak is far more it seems






The Welsh language use survey is funded jointly by Welsh Government and the Welsh Language Commissioner. It provides information about Welsh speakers' use of the Welsh language.


Respondents to the National Survey for Wales were asked to identify all members in their household who could speak Welsh. A self-completion Welsh language use questionnaire was subsequently left for each Welsh speaker between April 2013 and March 2015 to complete and return by post.
This survey enables comparisons to be made with the previous Welsh Language Use Surveys of 2004-06.
Welsh language use in Wales, 2013-15 includes the full survey results for 2013-15 and updates the interim report National Survey for Wales, 2013-14: Welsh Language Use Surveypublished on 29 January 2015.


http://gov.wales/statistics-and-research/welsh-language-use-survey/?lang=en


“This notice was not intended to restrict the use of the Welsh language, or prohibit staff from communicating in their local language, outside these briefings or with customers. We will be reviewing the wording of the notice to ensure this is made clearer and re-issuing an updated notice. We are an International business and fully support the use of the local language in all our jurisdictions.

“We apologise for any misunderstanding or upset this notice has caused.”


Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Sports Direct Slammed After Notice Appears To Ban Workers From Speaking Welsh

Post by Guest on Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:11 pm

According to the Welsh Language Use Survey 2013-15, 24 per cent of people aged three and over were able to speak Welsh. The percentage of Welsh speakers decreased with age; it was at its highest amongst the 3 to 15 age group, 41 per cent, and at its lowest amongst the 45 to 64 age group, 18 per cent. The figure below shows the percentage of the population able to speak Welsh by age.


http://gov.wales/docs/statistics/2016/160301-welsh-language-use-in-wales-2013-15-en.pdf


Which proves my point that in a few generations, most will be speaking Welsh again, since the compulsory teaching of Welsh in schools.

As one in four Welsh people speak Welsh and its higher with those younger.


And thanks everyone for a great debate.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Sports Direct Slammed After Notice Appears To Ban Workers From Speaking Welsh

Post by Syl on Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:07 pm

Thorin wrote:According to the Welsh Language Use Survey 2013-15, 24 per cent of people aged three and over were able to speak Welsh. The percentage of Welsh speakers decreased with age; it was at its highest amongst the 3 to 15 age group, 41 per cent, and at its lowest amongst the 45 to 64 age group, 18 per cent. The figure below shows the percentage of the population able to speak Welsh by age.


http://gov.wales/docs/statistics/2016/160301-welsh-language-use-in-wales-2013-15-en.pdf


Which proves my point that in a few generations, most will be speaking Welsh again, since the compulsory teaching of Welsh in schools.

As one in four Welsh people speak Welsh and its higher with those younger.


And thanks everyone for a great debate.


_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 12896
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sports Direct Slammed After Notice Appears To Ban Workers From Speaking Welsh

Post by Lord Foul on Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:15 pm

majQa' chal baqghol legh mev. pa' naQ romulans rur. latlh wab puS DIvI' may' Duj

'ej 'e' Qav mu' Deghvetlh

_________________
If at any time in 2016 I have annoyed you, pissed you off or said the wrong thing....Suck it up buttercup, cause 2017 AINT gonna be any different

There are those who's opinion I value, there are those who's opinion I neither value or scorn, and then there are those who's opinion I just ignore as insignificant...I can assure you the latter outnumber the first two combined by a whole order of magnitude


Difficile est meminisse officium paludes siccare , cum de nocte surrexeritis et asinus tuus alligators ....(It's hard to remember that the task is to drain the swamp, when you are up to your arse in alligators)
avatar
Lord Foul
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Posts : 8904
Join date : 2015-11-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sports Direct Slammed After Notice Appears To Ban Workers From Speaking Welsh

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:18 am

Thorin wrote:
Syl wrote:

And you have shown you pander to the few at the expense of the many, because whether you admit this or not Welsh people speak and understand English a lot better than they speak and understand Welsh....which makes their whole argument seem petty.
In doing so they  bring not only themselves down, but their workmates and the very company that pays their wages.

I hope they...and you, are happy now. Evil or Very Mad

So again you are demanding what language people can and cannot speak in, when in conversation between themselves.

You then invoke some more gibberish claiming they are bringing themselves down, because they do not hold up to some absurd standard you have made for them.
Talk about the worst snobbery, as again many will not be fluent and you are making out as if its criminal if they speak in their own language which will be easier for them. That within their own conversations, they have to always communicate in English.

Again when are you going to learn you cannot enforce your views on people?

cheers

And there we saw yet another good example of Sly's constant sophist, xenophobic, and often racist, bigotted attitudes..

You asked for examples before, Thorin, and I will happily keep on pointing out these examples of those Floptards' obvious sense of superiority over us mere mortals.      Razz

_________________
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Our life is frittered away by details. Simplify, simplify.
The mass of men lead lives of quite desperation.
Henry David Thoreau
avatar
WhoseYourWolfie

Posts : 4383
Join date : 2016-02-24
Age : 59
Location : Lake Macquarie, NSW, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sports Direct Slammed After Notice Appears To Ban Workers From Speaking Welsh

Post by Guest on Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:34 am

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:
Thorin wrote:
So again you are demanding what language people can and cannot speak in, when in conversation between themselves.

You then invoke some more gibberish claiming they are bringing themselves down, because they do not hold up to some absurd standard you have made for them.
Talk about the worst snobbery, as again many will not be fluent and you are making out as if its criminal if they speak in their own language which will be easier for them. That within their own conversations, they have to always communicate in English.

Again when are you going to learn you cannot enforce your views on people?

cheers

And there we saw yet another good example of Sly's constant sophist, xenophobic, and often racist, bigotted attitudes..

You asked for examples before, Thorin, and I will happily keep on pointing out these examples of those Floptards' obvious sense of superiority over us mere mortals.      Razz


None of this debate has exposed any racism, which really does expose your blatant misunderstanding of what racism is. I see no hate directed towards foreign people..

There certainly has been some very poor ignorant prejudiced views formed here. I have no objection to them having any criticism they have presented. Its where they want to enforce people to speak English when foreign people have conversations between themselves. I also think their snobbery is the real issue here. Where they invoke manners, which is nothing more than arbitrary.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Sports Direct Slammed After Notice Appears To Ban Workers From Speaking Welsh

Post by Raggamuffin on Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:31 am

Some people are not understanding that the atmosphere at work is very important, and it's everything to do with good manners. They are perhaps people who don't mix well with others or who have never had to work as a team.

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 29345
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sports Direct Slammed After Notice Appears To Ban Workers From Speaking Welsh

Post by Guest on Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:41 am

Raggamuffin wrote:Some people are not understanding that the atmosphere at work is very important, and it's everything to do with good manners. They are perhaps people who don't mix well with others or who have never had to work as a team.


Which as seen was easily rubbished throughout this debate.

As you have English people that speak between themselves at work anyway.

What matters is that people be professional when dealing with each other. A language does not deny people being able to get along.

And again manners is arbitrary.

Its not set to your standards

Again people in Wales are Welsh and a substantial number will see Welsh as their first language.

Its against the law to deny them speaking Welsh.

Even if its not those Welsh, but foreign, then in many cases they will not be fluent in English and its far easier for them to communicate to each other in their own language. Showing some here cannot think outside their prejudiced box.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Sports Direct Slammed After Notice Appears To Ban Workers From Speaking Welsh

Post by Raggamuffin on Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:56 am

I disagree with you Didge, and I think your point of view is nonsense - full of red herrings.

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 29345
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sports Direct Slammed After Notice Appears To Ban Workers From Speaking Welsh

Post by Guest on Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:58 am

Raggamuffin wrote:I disagree with you Didge, and I think your point of view is nonsense - full of red herrings.


That is up to you, but saying I am wrong is not a reason, but an opinion.

I have reasoned why you are wrong and as seen your view is based on a presumption. When many people get along, even though some are foreign

Hence the differences here Rags

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Sports Direct Slammed After Notice Appears To Ban Workers From Speaking Welsh

Post by Raggamuffin on Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:03 am

Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:I disagree with you Didge, and I think your point of view is nonsense - full of red herrings.


That is up to you, but saying I am wrong is not a reason, but an opinion.

I have reasoned why you are wrong and as seen your view is based on a presumption. When many people get along, even though some are foreign

Hence the differences here Rags

You saying I'm wrong is just an opinion too. You must learn to accept that your opinions are not facts. I don't agree with your reasoning, and your views are based on lack of experience IMO.

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 29345
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sports Direct Slammed After Notice Appears To Ban Workers From Speaking Welsh

Post by Guest on Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:15 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Thorin wrote:


That is up to you, but saying I am wrong is not a reason, but an opinion.

I have reasoned why you are wrong and as seen your view is based on a presumption. When many people get along, even though some are foreign

Hence the differences here Rags

You saying I'm wrong is just an opinion too. You must learn to accept that your opinions are not facts. I don't agree with your reasoning, and your views are based on lack of experience IMO.


It is wrong when you do not take into account people do get along where foreign people converse in their own language. You also fail to take into account they will find it easier to converse in their own language. So these views nullify the poor argument claimed around exclusion. As already they would communicate in English with other colleagues not from their nation.

Hence there should be no reason why two people conversing together would be excluding anyone (unless they already do not get on, whether they are English or not). So if people get on and sometimes some talk to each other. It would be the person who is insecure creating a belief they are excluded based on their own issues. Again no matter whether people were speaking English or not. You cannot force people to be friends. You can expect people to be professional. 

As I say, there is no reason why people cannot get along where some, sometimes converse with each other in their own language

Hence yours was a poor presumption based on opinion and mine was reason

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Sports Direct Slammed After Notice Appears To Ban Workers From Speaking Welsh

Post by Raggamuffin on Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:36 am

Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

You saying I'm wrong is just an opinion too. You must learn to accept that your opinions are not facts. I don't agree with your reasoning, and your views are based on lack of experience IMO.


It is wrong when you do not take into account people do get along where foreign people converse in their own language. You also fail to take into account they will find it easier to converse in their own language. So these views nullify the poor argument claimed around exclusion. As already they would communicate in English with other colleagues not from their nation.

Hence there should be no reason why two people conversing together would be excluding anyone (unless they already do not get on, whether they are English or not). So if people get on and sometimes some talk to each other. It would be the person who is insecure creating a belief they are excluded based on their own issues. Again no matter whether people were speaking English or not. You cannot force people to be friends. You can expect people to be professional. 

As I say, there is no reason why people cannot get along where some, sometimes converse with each other in their own language

Hence yours was a poor presumption based on opinion and mine was reason

I think you're wrong to understimate the importance of people not feeling excluded at work. We're not talking about two people who work together in an office, we're talking about retail where colleagues have to interact most of the day - with each other and with customers. I'm telling you that their colleagues will feel excluded if two people are talking in a language they don't understand, and if they're talking about work, they need to communicate in a language everyone understands.

Your reasoning is based on ignorance of life and work ethics.

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 29345
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sports Direct Slammed After Notice Appears To Ban Workers From Speaking Welsh

Post by Guest on Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:44 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Thorin wrote:


It is wrong when you do not take into account people do get along where foreign people converse in their own language. You also fail to take into account they will find it easier to converse in their own language. So these views nullify the poor argument claimed around exclusion. As already they would communicate in English with other colleagues not from their nation.

Hence there should be no reason why two people conversing together would be excluding anyone (unless they already do not get on, whether they are English or not). So if people get on and sometimes some talk to each other. It would be the person who is insecure creating a belief they are excluded based on their own issues. Again no matter whether people were speaking English or not. You cannot force people to be friends. You can expect people to be professional. 

As I say, there is no reason why people cannot get along where some, sometimes converse with each other in their own language

Hence yours was a poor presumption based on opinion and mine was reason

I think you're wrong to understimate the importance of people not feeling excluded at work. We're not talking about two people who work together in an office, we're talking about retail where colleagues have to interact most of the day - with each other and with customers. I'm telling you that their colleagues will feel excluded if two people are talking in a language they don't understand, and if they're talking about work, they need to communicate in a language everyone understands.

Your reasoning is based on ignorance of life and work ethics.


Then like I say they are the issue, because they would feel that way no matter if it was English people conversing privately. People do not have to interact all day and that is where you are going wrong, they should be mainly working and helping customers. So to say they have to get along, when there is no reason they should not, if sometimes people converse in their own language. Proves you inventing nonsense here. What you are saying is that everyone has to be included in any conversation and thus invading on peoples privacy. That is effectively what you are saying and to me born from those with a gossip nature. They want to know everyone business. 

Also you cannot force people to get along and you find this happen where they are British. Of course it helps if people get along, but that is not the reality at times.. I mean people have to sit next to people all day long in offices and some do not get on. Its a fact of life and yet can still be professional with each other. You are trying to argue off something that happens whether people speak in English or not. So that would mean your view to deny those foreign is prejudiced, as you would have to ban any staff, engaged in private conversations anywhere to be fair to all. 

What you have to show is that where some, sometimes speak their own language between each other. This will always create an exclusion with the rest of the staff.  You have not because it is only formed in the head of those who would be either prejudiced, a nosy parker or insecure. So its not the foreigners speaking together that are the issue. As like i say there is no reason why people cannot get along where sometimes they converse together in their own language. As seen you are trying to use exclusion as a reason to justify your prejudice. Which as seen is nullified, as you do not apply this rule to everyone.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Sports Direct Slammed After Notice Appears To Ban Workers From Speaking Welsh

Post by Raggamuffin on Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:10 pm

Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I think you're wrong to understimate the importance of people not feeling excluded at work. We're not talking about two people who work together in an office, we're talking about retail where colleagues have to interact most of the day - with each other and with customers. I'm telling you that their colleagues will feel excluded if two people are talking in a language they don't understand, and if they're talking about work, they need to communicate in a language everyone understands.

Your reasoning is based on ignorance of life and work ethics.


Then like I say they are the issue, because they would feel that way no matter if it was English people conversing privately. People do not have to interact all day and that is where you are going wrong, they should be mainly working and helping customers. So to say they have to get along, when there is no reason they should not, if sometimes people converse in their own language. Proves you inventing nonsense here. What you are saying is that everyone has to be included in any conversation and thus invading on peoples privacy. That is effectively what you are saying and to me born from those with a gossip nature. They want to know everyone business. 

Also you cannot force people to get along and you find this happen where they are British. Of course it helps if people get along, but that is not the reality at times.. I mean people have to sit next to people all day long in offices and some do not get on. Its a fact of life and yet can still be professional with each other. You are trying to argue off something that happens whether people speak in English or not. So that would mean your view to deny those foreign is prejudiced, as you would have to ban any staff, engaged in private conversations anywhere to be fair to all. 

What you have to show is that where some, sometimes speak their own language between each other. This will always create an exclusion with the rest of the staff.  You have not because it is only formed in the head of those who would be either prejudiced, a nosy parker or insecure. So its not the foreigners speaking together that are the issue. As like i say there is no reason why people cannot get along where sometimes they converse together in their own language. As seen you are trying to use exclusion as a reason to justify your prejudice. Which as seen is nullified, as you do not apply this rule to everyone.

I'm not going wrong, you're going wrong by claiming that colleagues speaking in a language others don't understand is fine. It's not. You would like to create division between people at work.

We're not talking about an office, we're talking about retail, which is different. However, even in an office, it's still very rude - worse probably as people in offices are generally together all day in the same room.

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 29345
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Sports Direct Slammed After Notice Appears To Ban Workers From Speaking Welsh

Post by Guest on Thu Aug 10, 2017 2:48 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Thorin wrote:


Then like I say they are the issue, because they would feel that way no matter if it was English people conversing privately. People do not have to interact all day and that is where you are going wrong, they should be mainly working and helping customers. So to say they have to get along, when there is no reason they should not, if sometimes people converse in their own language. Proves you inventing nonsense here. What you are saying is that everyone has to be included in any conversation and thus invading on peoples privacy. That is effectively what you are saying and to me born from those with a gossip nature. They want to know everyone business. 

Also you cannot force people to get along and you find this happen where they are British. Of course it helps if people get along, but that is not the reality at times.. I mean people have to sit next to people all day long in offices and some do not get on. Its a fact of life and yet can still be professional with each other. You are trying to argue off something that happens whether people speak in English or not. So that would mean your view to deny those foreign is prejudiced, as you would have to ban any staff, engaged in private conversations anywhere to be fair to all. 

What you have to show is that where some, sometimes speak their own language between each other. This will always create an exclusion with the rest of the staff.  You have not because it is only formed in the head of those who would be either prejudiced, a nosy parker or insecure. So its not the foreigners speaking together that are the issue. As like i say there is no reason why people cannot get along where sometimes they converse together in their own language. As seen you are trying to use exclusion as a reason to justify your prejudice. Which as seen is nullified, as you do not apply this rule to everyone.

I'm not going wrong, you're going wrong by claiming that colleagues speaking in a language others don't understand is fine. It's not. You would like to create division between people at work.

We're not talking about an office, we're talking about retail, which is different. However, even in an office, it's still very rude - worse probably as people in offices are generally together all day in the same room.

At no point have I created any division. I am applying your false premise in regards to exclusion and as seen you cannot answer my points and look to misdirect. As by applying your rules, nobody would be allowed any personal conversations. Due to a perceive presumption of some people being excluded. Thus ending any form of privacy in conversation at work for workers. Next you will be telling me people have to show you their text messages or they might feel excluded. It does not matter if its an office, a warehouse, a hospital or a shop.

Again you invoke manners something which is arbitrary.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 5 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum