NHS to ban homeopathy and herbal medicine, as 'misuse of resources'

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

NHS to ban homeopathy and herbal medicine, as 'misuse of resources'

Post by Thorin on Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:30 am

First topic message reminder :

The NHS has announced a ban on homeopathy and herbal medicine as they say it is "misuse of scarce funds".

Officials today ruled that the treatments are among dozens of medicines which should not be funded by the health service. In the last five years, the NHS has spent almost £600,000 on homeopathic treatment, despite long running debate about whether alternative remedies work.

Today NHS England ruled that “at best homeopathy is a placebo and a misuse of scarce NHS funds which could be better devoted to treatments that work.”

Health officials said cash-strapped clinical commissioning groups should no longer fund such medicines, along with 16 other classes of treatment classed as “low value” because they are ineffective or could easily be bought over the counter.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/21/nhs-ban-homeopathy-herbal-medicine-misuse-resources/

_________________
At this point I do not know what is worse.
A person who is full of envy spreading rumours and lies.
Or the people with not enough education or common sense who believe them.
avatar
Thorin

Posts : 10542
Join date : 2017-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down


Re: NHS to ban homeopathy and herbal medicine, as 'misuse of resources'

Post by Syl on Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:41 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Thorin wrote:


This cream is not available without a prescription rags

Well then I don't understand how you can pay less for it. If the pharmacist fills the prescription, he would have to charge the prescription price.

That was my understanding too.

_________________
My body is in Manchester (sometimes) my mind's all over the place (always)
Happy now??
avatar
Syl

Posts : 11147
Join date : 2015-11-13
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NHS to ban homeopathy and herbal medicine, as 'misuse of resources'

Post by Thorin on Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:49 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Thorin wrote:


This cream is not available without a prescription rags

Well then I don't understand how you can pay less for it. If the pharmacist fills the prescription, he would have to charge the prescription price.


I did not either Rags, until I was told I could challenge by my chemist.

I have paid the retail cost on this for years

_________________
At this point I do not know what is worse.
A person who is full of envy spreading rumours and lies.
Or the people with not enough education or common sense who believe them.
avatar
Thorin

Posts : 10542
Join date : 2017-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NHS to ban homeopathy and herbal medicine, as 'misuse of resources'

Post by Raggamuffin on Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:06 pm

Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Well then I don't understand how you can pay less for it. If the pharmacist fills the prescription, he would have to charge the prescription price.


I did not either Rags, until I was told I could challenge by my chemist.

I have paid the retail cost on this for years

Do you sign the prescription form? I had no idea people could ask to pay the retail price. Of course, most wouldn't want to because it would be more.

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 28567
Join date : 2014-02-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NHS to ban homeopathy and herbal medicine, as 'misuse of resources'

Post by Thorin on Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:14 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Thorin wrote:


I did not either Rags, until I was told I could challenge by my chemist.

I have paid the retail cost on this for years

Do you sign the prescription form? I had no idea people could ask to pay the retail price. Of course, most wouldn't want to because it would be more.



Everyone has to sign and date their prescription form.

Well my chemist is a local chemist run by Indians, who are brilliant. He told me it was cheaper retail than the standard NHS cost.

Maybe i am just lucky with this being a very good Chemist Rags. Maybe he should not even be doing what he is doing. To be honest I just have taken for granted how he does not charge me the NHS standard charge for the cream. He always has advised to challenge the cost though.

_________________
At this point I do not know what is worse.
A person who is full of envy spreading rumours and lies.
Or the people with not enough education or common sense who believe them.
avatar
Thorin

Posts : 10542
Join date : 2017-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NHS to ban homeopathy and herbal medicine, as 'misuse of resources'

Post by Raggamuffin on Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:16 pm

Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Do you sign the prescription form? I had no idea people could ask to pay the retail price. Of course, most wouldn't want to because it would be more.



Everyone has to sign and date their prescription form.

Well my chemist is a local chemist run by Indians, who are brilliant. He told me it was cheaper retail than the standard NHS cost.

Maybe i am just lucky with this being a very good Chemist Rags. Maybe he should not even be doing what he is doing. To be honest I just have taken for granted how he does not charge me the NHS standard charge for the cream.

What does he mean by "retail"? The drug I take is not available to the general public, so does he mean what it costs the NHS to buy it? I would have thought that by signing the NHS form, you have agreed to pay the prescription charge. I can't find anything about it on the internet.

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 28567
Join date : 2014-02-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NHS to ban homeopathy and herbal medicine, as 'misuse of resources'

Post by Thorin on Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:16 pm

Here is a prime example of how something is very cheap and people end up paying near 5 times what it is in France Rags

http://www.newsfixboard.com/t21497-boots-apologises-after-labour-mps-write-to-express-deep-concern-over-its-refusal-to-reduce-emergency-contraception-cost#411171

_________________
At this point I do not know what is worse.
A person who is full of envy spreading rumours and lies.
Or the people with not enough education or common sense who believe them.
avatar
Thorin

Posts : 10542
Join date : 2017-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NHS to ban homeopathy and herbal medicine, as 'misuse of resources'

Post by Raggamuffin on Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:18 pm

By the way, I just read that 9 out of 10 prescriptions are free. I know that a lot of people get them free, but I find it extraordinary that only 1 in 10 prescriptions have to be paid for.


Last edited by Raggamuffin on Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:57 pm; edited 1 time in total

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 28567
Join date : 2014-02-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NHS to ban homeopathy and herbal medicine, as 'misuse of resources'

Post by Raggamuffin on Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:19 pm

Thorin wrote:Here is a prime example of how something is very cheap and people end up paying near 5 times what it is in France Rags

http://www.newsfixboard.com/t21497-boots-apologises-after-labour-mps-write-to-express-deep-concern-over-its-refusal-to-reduce-emergency-contraception-cost#411171

I didn't even know you could buy them in Tesco. Isn't that a bit dangerous?

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 28567
Join date : 2014-02-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NHS to ban homeopathy and herbal medicine, as 'misuse of resources'

Post by nicko on Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:19 pm

I have 6 scrips a month, happy to pay 50p an item.
avatar
nicko

Posts : 7952
Join date : 2013-12-07
Age : 76
Location : rainbow bridge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NHS to ban homeopathy and herbal medicine, as 'misuse of resources'

Post by Thorin on Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:50 pm

nicko wrote:I have 6 scrips a month, happy to pay 50p an item.


Do you not use this Nicko?

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/PPC.aspx

_________________
At this point I do not know what is worse.
A person who is full of envy spreading rumours and lies.
Or the people with not enough education or common sense who believe them.
avatar
Thorin

Posts : 10542
Join date : 2017-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NHS to ban homeopathy and herbal medicine, as 'misuse of resources'

Post by Raggamuffin on Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:11 pm

Thorin wrote:
nicko wrote:I have 6 scrips a month, happy to pay 50p an item.


Do you not use this Nicko?

http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/PPC.aspx

I thought he didn't have to pay at all. I have one of those cards - they're very good.

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 28567
Join date : 2014-02-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NHS to ban homeopathy and herbal medicine, as 'misuse of resources'

Post by Syl on Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:21 pm

Pensioners should get their prescriptions free Nicko.

I have just read that if a chemist advises a customer that he could buy the prescribed medicine cheaper over the counter he could be in trouble....that doesn't seem fair.


_________________
My body is in Manchester (sometimes) my mind's all over the place (always)
Happy now??
avatar
Syl

Posts : 11147
Join date : 2015-11-13
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NHS to ban homeopathy and herbal medicine, as 'misuse of resources'

Post by Syl on Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:23 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:By the way, I just read that 9 out of 10 prescriptions are free. I know that a lot of people get them free, but I find it extraordinary that only 1 in 10 have to pay.

I do get them free now because of my age but I noticed for years that I was the only one who ever seemed to get money out if I needed a prescription.
Maybe the charges should come in line with Wales, Scotland and Ireland.....everyone gets free prescriptions there.

_________________
My body is in Manchester (sometimes) my mind's all over the place (always)
Happy now??
avatar
Syl

Posts : 11147
Join date : 2015-11-13
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NHS to ban homeopathy and herbal medicine, as 'misuse of resources'

Post by Raggamuffin on Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:52 pm

Syl wrote:Pensioners should get their prescriptions free Nicko.

I have just read that if a chemist advises a customer that he could buy the prescribed medicine cheaper over the counter he could be in trouble....that doesn't seem fair.


Where did you read that? I don't think that's the case. The question is - can a pharmacist sell a prescription-only drug at a lower price?

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 28567
Join date : 2014-02-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NHS to ban homeopathy and herbal medicine, as 'misuse of resources'

Post by Raggamuffin on Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:55 pm

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:By the way, I just read that 9 out of 10 prescriptions are free. I know that a lot of people get them free, but I find it extraordinary that only 1 in 10 have to pay.

I do get them free now because of my age but I noticed for years that I was the only one who ever seemed to get money out if I needed a prescription.
Maybe the charges should come in line with Wales, Scotland and Ireland.....everyone gets free prescriptions there.

I don't really mind paying for them, but I'm amazed that the large number of people between childhood and pensionable age, or who are not on benefits or exempt for other reasons, only amount to 10% of those who collect a prescription.

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 28567
Join date : 2014-02-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NHS to ban homeopathy and herbal medicine, as 'misuse of resources'

Post by Thorin on Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:02 pm

Syl wrote:Pensioners should get their prescriptions free Nicko.

I have just read that if a chemist advises a customer that he could buy the prescribed medicine cheaper over the counter he could be in trouble....that doesn't seem fair.


So my chemist should not be doing this then Syl?

I dont want to get him in trouble, so will ask to pay the NHS charge for this in the future.

Thanks for the heads up.

_________________
At this point I do not know what is worse.
A person who is full of envy spreading rumours and lies.
Or the people with not enough education or common sense who believe them.
avatar
Thorin

Posts : 10542
Join date : 2017-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NHS to ban homeopathy and herbal medicine, as 'misuse of resources'

Post by Raggamuffin on Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:16 pm

I think there's still some confusion about this. If someone has a prescription for an item, and they can buy it cheaper over the counter, I don't think there's an issue with the pharmacist telling them that. If it's a prescription-only item, and is therefore not available over the counter, I'm not sure.

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 28567
Join date : 2014-02-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NHS to ban homeopathy and herbal medicine, as 'misuse of resources'

Post by Syl on Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:36 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I think there's still some confusion about this. If someone has a prescription for an item, and they can buy it cheaper over the counter, I don't think there's an issue with the pharmacist telling them that. If it's a prescription-only item, and is therefore not available over the counter, I'm not sure.

I cant find the link. Rolling Eyes
I was reading various sites trying to find out if you could buy a prescription only drug cheaper than the normal charge of £8.60....and I scrolled down one link where it distinctly said that pharmacists could get into trouble if they advised customers that the drug (this is one that can be bought over the counter) is cheaper to buy without the prescription.


_________________
My body is in Manchester (sometimes) my mind's all over the place (always)
Happy now??
avatar
Syl

Posts : 11147
Join date : 2015-11-13
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NHS to ban homeopathy and herbal medicine, as 'misuse of resources'

Post by Syl on Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:38 pm

Thorin wrote:
Syl wrote:Pensioners should get their prescriptions free Nicko.

I have just read that if a chemist advises a customer that he could buy the prescribed medicine cheaper over the counter he could be in trouble....that doesn't seem fair.


So my chemist should not be doing this then Syl?

I dont want to get him in trouble, so will ask to pay the NHS charge for this in the future.

Thanks for the heads up.

Sorry Thor I cant find the link where I read this..


_________________
My body is in Manchester (sometimes) my mind's all over the place (always)
Happy now??
avatar
Syl

Posts : 11147
Join date : 2015-11-13
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NHS to ban homeopathy and herbal medicine, as 'misuse of resources'

Post by Raggamuffin on Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:54 pm

I found this article from 2014 about how £80 million is wasted on prescriptions for paracetamol. It's shocking.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/health/11259122/NHS-spends-on-80-million-a-year-on-paracetamol-prescriptions.html

It's time that those who get free prescriptions were told to stop taking the piss, and for doctors to tell them to buy their own medicine if they can.

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 28567
Join date : 2014-02-11

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NHS to ban homeopathy and herbal medicine, as 'misuse of resources'

Post by nicko on Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:32 am

I don't have to pay anything it's all free for Pensioners, I ment I Would not mind paying 50p for each item, for me that would be £3.00 a month witch would be a few quid for the NHS.
avatar
nicko

Posts : 7952
Join date : 2013-12-07
Age : 76
Location : rainbow bridge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NHS to ban homeopathy and herbal medicine, as 'misuse of resources'

Post by Thorin on Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:33 am

nicko wrote:I don't have to pay anything it's all free for Pensioners,   I ment I Would not mind paying 50p for each item, for me that would be £3.00 a month witch would be a few quid for the NHS.


+1

_________________
At this point I do not know what is worse.
A person who is full of envy spreading rumours and lies.
Or the people with not enough education or common sense who believe them.
avatar
Thorin

Posts : 10542
Join date : 2017-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NHS to ban homeopathy and herbal medicine, as 'misuse of resources'

Post by Tommy Monk on Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:27 am

Syl wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:I think there's still some confusion about this. If someone has a prescription for an item, and they can buy it cheaper over the counter, I don't think there's an issue with the pharmacist telling them that. If it's a prescription-only item, and is therefore not available over the counter, I'm not sure.

I cant find the link. Rolling Eyes
I was reading various sites trying to find out if you could buy a prescription only drug cheaper than the normal charge of £8.60....and I scrolled down one link where it distinctly said that pharmacists could get into trouble if they advised customers that the drug (this is one that can be bought over the counter) is cheaper to buy without the prescription.



My Dr has told me to buy certain things over the coutner before cos he said its the same as the scrpt one but works out much cheaper...

_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
avatar
Tommy Monk

Posts : 18404
Join date : 2014-02-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NHS to ban homeopathy and herbal medicine, as 'misuse of resources'

Post by Jules on Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:19 am

It's rather disrespectful towards believers in homeopathy to say it's a ''misuse of resources''. They believe it helps them and the mind is a powerful tool in healing. Which is why placebo sometimes works.


It's more diplomatic to say that NHS funding is being streamlined and therefore only scientifically proven treatments (conventional drugs) will be allowed.

_________________
"there were some fine people marching among those nazis "
hell's bells, this guy seems to have swapped his dog whistle for a loudspeaker!
avatar
Jules

Posts : 1613
Join date : 2016-07-31
Location : Third Rock

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NHS to ban homeopathy and herbal medicine, as 'misuse of resources'

Post by Jules on Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:21 am

Theresa has cut NHS resources to the bone and medics say the public is in for a nasty shock when she finally reveals the full extent of the cuts. At the moment it's still hush hush. And gawwd help us when Liam Fox goes to the US to broker a trade deal after we exit the EU - The americans will be wanting a fat slice of whatever is left of our NHS resources.

_________________
"there were some fine people marching among those nazis "
hell's bells, this guy seems to have swapped his dog whistle for a loudspeaker!
avatar
Jules

Posts : 1613
Join date : 2016-07-31
Location : Third Rock

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NHS to ban homeopathy and herbal medicine, as 'misuse of resources'

Post by Thorin on Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:23 am

Jules wrote:Theresa has cut NHS resources to the bone  and medics say the public is in for a nasty shock when she finally reveals the full extent of the cuts.  At the moment it's still hush hush. And gawwd help us when Liam Fox goes to the US to broker a trade deal after we exit the EU - The americans will be wanting a fat slice of whatever is left of our NHS resources.


Okay what has this got to do with anything political?
Unless you back quackery?

_________________
At this point I do not know what is worse.
A person who is full of envy spreading rumours and lies.
Or the people with not enough education or common sense who believe them.
avatar
Thorin

Posts : 10542
Join date : 2017-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NHS to ban homeopathy and herbal medicine, as 'misuse of resources'

Post by Tommy Monk on Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:29 am

NHS spending has increased every year...


Its just a shame that so much of the NHS money is going on paying for Labours dodgy PFI deals... and the army of expensive pen pushers Labour left the NHS full up of... and paying for the treatment of so many unentitled foreigners... and the waste that is 10% of the NHS budget treating diabetes when 90% of the cases are completely cureable by patient controlling diet and doing more exercise...!!!

_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
avatar
Tommy Monk

Posts : 18404
Join date : 2014-02-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NHS to ban homeopathy and herbal medicine, as 'misuse of resources'

Post by Thorin on Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:32 am

Tommy Monk wrote:NHS spending has increased every year...


Its just a shame that so much of the NHS money is going on paying for Labours dodgy PFI deals... and the army of expensive pen pushers Labour left the NHS full up of... and paying for the treatment of so many unentitled foreigners... and the waste that is 10% of the NHS budget treating diabetes when 90% of the cases are completely cureable by patient controlling diet and doing more exercise...!!!


More gibberish from  Tommy

Put evidence up

_________________
At this point I do not know what is worse.
A person who is full of envy spreading rumours and lies.
Or the people with not enough education or common sense who believe them.
avatar
Thorin

Posts : 10542
Join date : 2017-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NHS to ban homeopathy and herbal medicine, as 'misuse of resources'

Post by Tommy Monk on Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:52 am



You put evidence up that shows any of it to be 'gibberish'...!?


Laughing



_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
avatar
Tommy Monk

Posts : 18404
Join date : 2014-02-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NHS to ban homeopathy and herbal medicine, as 'misuse of resources'

Post by Thorin on Sun Jul 30, 2017 5:54 am

Tommy Monk wrote:

You put evidence up that shows any of it to be 'gibberish'...!?


Laughing



Is that why you back the Rotherham grooming gangs tommy based on your methodology?

Still waiting for your evidence on two threads now

What is worse is you think its funny

Wolf and Quill were right about you I guess.

_________________
At this point I do not know what is worse.
A person who is full of envy spreading rumours and lies.
Or the people with not enough education or common sense who believe them.
avatar
Thorin

Posts : 10542
Join date : 2017-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NHS to ban homeopathy and herbal medicine, as 'misuse of resources'

Post by Thorin on Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:03 am

For some reason Tommy has gone silent

What a surprise


Night all

_________________
At this point I do not know what is worse.
A person who is full of envy spreading rumours and lies.
Or the people with not enough education or common sense who believe them.
avatar
Thorin

Posts : 10542
Join date : 2017-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NHS to ban homeopathy and herbal medicine, as 'misuse of resources'

Post by Tommy Monk on Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:10 am

Thorin wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:NHS spending has increased every year...


Its just a shame that so much of the NHS money is going on paying for Labours dodgy PFI deals... and the army of expensive pen pushers Labour left the NHS full up of... and paying for the treatment of so many unentitled foreigners... and the waste that is 10% of the NHS budget treating diabetes when 90% of the cases are completely cureable by patient controlling diet and doing more exercise...!!!


More gibberish from  Tommy

Put evidence up


You put evidence up that shows any of it to be 'gibberish'...!?


Laughing



_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
avatar
Tommy Monk

Posts : 18404
Join date : 2014-02-13

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NHS to ban homeopathy and herbal medicine, as 'misuse of resources'

Post by Thorin on Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:12 am

Tommy Monk wrote:
Thorin wrote:


More gibberish from  Tommy

Put evidence up


You put evidence up that shows any of it to be 'gibberish'...!?


Laughing



Well its not my fault you cannot understand English Tommy... Smile

_________________
At this point I do not know what is worse.
A person who is full of envy spreading rumours and lies.
Or the people with not enough education or common sense who believe them.
avatar
Thorin

Posts : 10542
Join date : 2017-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NHS to ban homeopathy and herbal medicine, as 'misuse of resources'

Post by Thorin on Sun Jul 30, 2017 6:13 am

lol I see Tommy is on a roll, a Swiss roll.

lol!

Night everyone

_________________
At this point I do not know what is worse.
A person who is full of envy spreading rumours and lies.
Or the people with not enough education or common sense who believe them.
avatar
Thorin

Posts : 10542
Join date : 2017-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum