BBC's John Humphrys accused of 'xenophobia and sexism' after interview with British tennis star Johanna Konta

View previous topic View next topic Go down

BBC's John Humphrys accused of 'xenophobia and sexism' after interview with British tennis star Johanna Konta

Post by Thorin on Tue Jul 18, 2017 10:39 pm

Veteran BBC presenter John Humphrys has been accused of xenophobia and sexism after an interview with British tennis star Johanna Konta. Listeners to BBC’s Today Programme on Radio 4 were incensed to hear him question Ms Konta’s British citizenship after she made it to the semi-finals of Wimbledon.

The 26-year-old had to clarify that she had lived in the country for half of her life - and that she had represented Britain in the Olympics.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/18/bbcs-john-humphrys-accused-xenophobia-sexism-interview-british/

How was it sexist or xenophobic by asking a question over what she saw herself as?

He never said she could not be did he?

Seriously what is wrong with some people?

Thorin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: BBC's John Humphrys accused of 'xenophobia and sexism' after interview with British tennis star Johanna Konta

Post by Tommy Monk on Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:00 am

'...The presenter asked: “We talk about you as being British but you were born in Hungary, Australian citizenship, and I seem to remember that the Australian High Commissioner when you won the quarter-final said ‘Great to see an Aussie win’ and we were saying ‘Great to see a Brit win’ – so what are you?”

Ms Konta laughed incredulously before she replied: “I was actually born in Australia to Hungarian parents but I’ve lived here for half my life now almost and I’m a British citizen and I’m incredibly proud to represent Great Britain… I’ve represented Britain in the Olympics so I’m definitely a British athlete.”...'

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
Tommy Monk

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top