Married gay couples must have equal pension rights, Supreme Court rules

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Married gay couples must have equal pension rights, Supreme Court rules

Post by Thorin on Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:48 am

A gay man has won a battle at the UK's highest court to secure his husband the same pension rights a wife would enjoy. Ex-cavalry officer John Walker, 66, was present to hear five justices at the Supreme Court in London unanimously allow his appeal against an earlier ruling against him. Mr Walker suffered a defeat at the Court of Appeal in 2015, when judges ruled that his claim failed because it applied to a period before gay civil partnerships were recognised by the law.

But on Wednesday, the Supreme Court justices ruled that Mr Walker's husband is entitled on his death to a spouse's pension, provided they stay married. Mr Walker launched legal action because he wanted to ensure that, should he die first, his husband, who is in his fifties, will be adequately provided for. Human rights organisation Liberty said it would "dramatically change the lives of thousands of same-sex couples".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07/12/married-gay-couples-must-have-equal-pension-rights-supreme-court/

Thorin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Married gay couples must have equal pension rights, Supreme Court rules

Post by Syl on Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:16 pm

Its good that bit by bit this sort of discrimination is being eroded in this country.
The last few years have exceeded the last few generations re the way gay people are treated.

Syl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top