US woman shoots boyfriend in YouTube stunt

Go down

US woman shoots boyfriend in YouTube stunt

Post by Guest on Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:08 pm

A Minnesota woman has been charged over the fatal shooting of her boyfriend, in what authorities say was a social media stunt gone wrong.

Monalisa Perez, 19, was booked into county jail after shooting at Pedro Ruiz as he held a book to his chest, believing it would stop the bullet. The couple's three-year-old child and nearly 30 onlookers watched as she fired the fatal bullet into his chest. Ruiz's aunt said they did it to increase their social media following. Claudia Ruiz told WDAY-TV that her nephew had told her he wanted to do the stunt "because we want more viewers, we want to get famous". "He had told me about that idea and I said, 'Don't do it. Don't do it. Why are you going to use a gun? Why?'" Claudia Ruiz told the news channel.

"They were in love, they loved each other," she said. "It was just a prank gone wrong."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-40438207

Back to top Go down

Re: US woman shoots boyfriend in YouTube stunt

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Thu Jun 29, 2017 6:39 pm

rabbit

Yet another example of "Darwinism in action"...

One more idiot removing himself from the gene pool..

Henry David Thoreau
WhoseYourWolfie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:19 pm

How stupid do you have to be to think a book is going to stop a bullet (him) and how stupid do you have to be to pull the trigger (her)?
How stupid do you have to be to do it in front of your child??

Seriously. Some people are just too fucking dumb for words.

King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:06 pm

eddie wrote:How stupid do you have to be to think a book is going to stop a bullet (him) and how stupid do you have to be to pull the trigger (her)?

And that is her defense.  There's no mens rea, just stupidity.  No pecuniary motive.  No profit.  No gain whatsoever.  Just stupidity.  She probably will plead error and mistake.

But she didn't intend to harm anybody.  It was a miscalculation, and the gun unexpectedly killed him.  How do you call it...an error due to stupidity.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Foul on Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:33 pm

surely negligence (negligent manslaughter here) does not require mens rea?

There are those who's opinion I value, there are those who's opinion I neither value or scorn, and then there are those who's opinion I just ignore as insignificant...I can assure you the latter outnumber the first two combined by a whole order of magnitude

[b].(It's hard to remember that the task is to drain the swamp, when you are up to your arse in alligators)
Lord Foul
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:48 pm

It said on Facebook by an American, he was shot with a .50 calibre from 1 foot away ! no mention of the holes in all the walls plus several cars in the street and a few persons a mile away !!
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:58 am

Lord Foul wrote:surely negligence (negligent manslaughter here) does not require mens rea?

There is no offense entitled "criminally negligent homicide" in California. Involuntary manslaughter, killing someone by committing (1) a misdemeanor, or (2) through recklessness, is punishable by up to four years in prison. (3) Vehicular manslaughter with gross negligence can be punished by up to six years in prison, but that's under the vehicle code.

Under California Penal Code 192(b), the key feature of California involuntary manslaughter is that it does not require intent to kill another person—unlike Penal Code 187 murder, which requires “malice aforethought. Effectively, it operates just like your negligent manslaughter.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:47 am

nicko wrote:It    said on Facebook by an American,    he was shot with a .50 calibre from 1 foot away  ! no mention of the holes in all the walls plus several cars in the street and a few persons a mile away  !!

Need link.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:50 am

Original Quill wrote:
eddie wrote:How stupid do you have to be to think a book is going to stop a bullet (him) and how stupid do you have to be to pull the trigger (her)?

And that is her defense.  There's no mens rea, just stupidity.  No pecuniary motive.  No profit.  No gain whatsoever.  Just stupidity.  She probably will plead error and mistake.

But she didn't intend to harm anybody.  It was a miscalculation, and the gun unexpectedly killed him.  How do you call it...an error due to stupidity.

Agree on everything you say Quill, except the point on miscalculation.
As did she ever calculate whether a book could stop the penetrative force of a bullet?
I very much doubt that and it was based on a misguided "belief" that it would stop a bullet.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:15 am

Wouldn't you at least try shooting through a book to see if the bullet went through?

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:19 am

Raggamuffin wrote:Wouldn't you at least try shooting through a book to see if the bullet went through?

That at least would be a measure to calculate off from rags.

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:50 am

Quill, can't give link, it was on 4.30 am this morning , gone now. First bit was factual, second bit was mine, saying [jokingly] where the bullet from a .50 cal might go !!
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jules on Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:20 am

Prank backfired then!
Ooooops!!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content