Texas Enshrines “S andra Bland Act” as Law After Police Encounter

Go down

Texas Enshrines “S andra Bland Act” as Law After Police Encounter

Post by Guest on Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:20 pm

Texas lawmakers have just passed the “sassy Bland Act”: a mental health bill that addresses issues involved with the death of 28-year-old sassy Bland two years ago. The bill requires any Texan detainees with mental health or substance issues to immediately be given treatment. It also makes it easier for those with mental health or substance abuse problems to make bond. Additionally, the legislation will require all Texas police officers to be given de-escalation training; and it will require independent law agencies to investigate police killings.

Though the bill was revised by lawmakers to exclude legislation requiring additional proof of arrest for fineable offenses, the bill is hailed as a step in the right direction. The provisions concerning more warranted police interference were penned in light of sassy Bland’s arrest, which occurred during a routine traffic stop when Bland failed to use her turn signal. The police officer’s body camera captured the escalating situation that eventually led to Bland’s arrest. Three days after she was arrested, Bland was found dead in her cell. Her death was then ruled as a suicide.

“The sassy Bland Act will prevent traffic stops from escalating by ensuring that all law-enforcement officers receive de-escalation training for all situations as part of their basic training and continuing education,” said Democratic state Rep. Granet Coleman of Houston, who wrote and introduced the original sassy Bland Act.

Since Texas Gov. Greg Abbott signed the bill on Thursday, it is projected to go into full effect on September 1st.

https://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/texas-enshrines-sassy-bland-act-law-police-encounter.

Back to top Go down

Re: Texas Enshrines “S andra Bland Act” as Law After Police Encounter

Post by Original Quill on Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:42 am

goodnewsnetwork wrote:... to immediately be given treatment.

Somehow, I don't like the sound of that.  I think I know Texas, and it can't be good.

Given "the treatment"?  I remember Sandra Bland, and as I recall Harris County gave her a rope to hang herself.  Suicide they said...but I says it was an assisted suicide.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars

Someone is above the rule of law in America.
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:00 am

Original Quill wrote:
goodnewsnetwork wrote:... to immediately be given treatment.

Somehow, I don't like the sound of that.  I think I know Texas, and it can't be good.

Given "the treatment"?  I remember Sandra Bland, and as I recall Harris County gave her a rope to hang herself.  Suicide they said...but I says it was an assisted suicide.

You dont like the sound of a law that now helps prevent as you say the assisted suicide of people mental health and substance problems being given protection by law whilst in custody?
Very odd, you would rather they are not protected then?

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:29 am

Thorin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

You dont like the sound of a law that now helps prevent as you say the assisted suicide of people mental health and substance problems being given protection by law whilst in custody?

No, I don't trust Republicans and I don't trust Harris County. This bill was written by a Republican legislature.  Typically Republicans will name a bill one thing, when it means exactly the opposite.  I'm reading "immediate treatment" and thinking, that could mean jail without release, and some sort of weird, undisclosed treatment inside.  Remember, Sandra went into jail perfectly healthy, and came out dead.  Do you think anyone is going to tell us what her "treatment" was?

Bad things come from the Harris County jail.

Last edited by Original Quill on Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:33 am; edited 1 time in total

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:32 am

Original Quill wrote:
Thorin wrote:

No, I don't trust Republicans and I don't trust Harris County...which is mostly Republican controlled.    Typically Republicans will name a bill one thing, when it means exactly the opposite.  I'm reading "immediate treatment" and thinking, that could mean jail without release, and some sort of weird, undisclosed treatment inside.  Remember, sassy went into jail perfectly healthy, and came out dead.

Yes i am well aware of your views on Republicans.
What you are not doing is showing me how or why this new law is wrong?
S andra, would have not died under such a law and if she did, then those responsible would be criminally responsible under this law.
Or did you not think of that.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:42 am

Thorin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

No, I don't trust Republicans and I don't trust Harris County...which is mostly Republican controlled.    Typically Republicans will name a bill one thing, when it means exactly the opposite.  I'm reading "immediate treatment" and thinking, that could mean jail without release, and some sort of weird, undisclosed treatment inside.  Remember, sassy went into jail perfectly healthy, and came out dead.

S andra, would have not died under such a law and if she did, then those responsible would be criminally responsible under this law.

Of course Sandra would have died in the Harris County jail. Nothing in the bill promises any prevention of the sort of treatment she got. We don't know what happened to her; we only know she went in healthy, and come out dead.

Now we've got this bill that authorizes special treatment, which inevitably means suspension of Constitutional rights under the guise of special treatment for the mentally ill or troubled? I got your special treatment right here. Rolling Eyes

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:47 am

Original Quill wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Of course Sandra would have died in the Harris County jail.  Nothing in the bill promises any prevention of the sort of treatment she got.  We don't know what happened to her; we only know she went in healthy, and come out dead.

Now we've got this bill that authorizes special treatment, which inevitably means suspension of Constitutional rights under the guise of special treatment for the mentally ill or troubled?  I got your special treatment right here. Rolling Eyes

All you are doing is speculating and cannot even swallow your pride and admit this is a good thing to help protect people or where it would have meant that people could be criminally charged. As would have been the case, if this law had been around at the time of S andra.
So I fail to see why you are against this.
Is it more because it came from Republicans?
Would you be saying the same if it came from Democrats?
It proves this is more about your disdain for the Republicans than looking at this law and whether its viable.

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Fri Jun 23, 2017 4:49 pm

Thorin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Of course Sandra would have died in the Harris County jail.  Nothing in the bill promises any prevention of the sort of treatment she got.  We don't know what happened to her; we only know she went in healthy, and come out dead.

Now we've got this bill that authorizes special treatment, which inevitably means suspension of Constitutional rights under the guise of special treatment for the mentally ill or troubled?  I got your special treatment right here. Rolling Eyes

All you are doing is speculating and cannot even swallow your pride and admit this is a good thing to help protect people or where it would have meant that people could be criminally charged. As would have been the case, if this law had been around at the time of S andra.
It proves this is more about your disdain for the Republicans than looking at this law and whether its viable.

What on earth does my pride have to do with it? I think this is basically a huge Republican bait & switch, where lawmakers are using a single tragedy to slip under the door certain more restrictive measures for holding black people. Look at what the bill says, fgs.

Who said anything about injury or mental health? Where does that nonsense come from? It's always been my understanding that this girl was murdered by jail personnel, perhaps at the behest of the officer making what was obviously a phony arrest. So why are we suddenly coming up with all these rosy themes for what is essentially a law to enlarge detention of apprehended individuals without benefit of judicial inquiry. The carpet doesn't match the drapes.

All I'm saying is take a look at it. Don't just believe the hype.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:13 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Thorin wrote:

What on earth does my pride have to do with it?  I think this is basically a huge Republican bait & switch, where lawmakers are using a single tragedy to slip under the door certain more restrictive measures for holding black people.  Look at what the bill says, fgs.

Who said anything about injury or mental health?  Where does that nonsense come from?  It's always been my understanding that this girl was murdered by jail personnel, perhaps at the behest of the officer making what was obviously a phony arrest.  So why are we suddenly coming up with all these rosy themes for what is essentially a law to enlarge detention of apprehended individuals without benefit of judicial inquiry.  The carpet doesn't match the drapes.

All I'm saying is take a look at it.  Don't just believe the hype.

I really do give up with you sometimes and for you to even ask about mental health shows you have not even read or understand this new law

This is more about the republicans to you than it is about the law.
Frankly its pointless to even further discuss this

I can see the merits of this law, its astounding that you cannot

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:24 pm

Thorin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

What on earth does my pride have to do with it?  I think this is basically a huge Republican bait & switch, where lawmakers are using a single tragedy to slip under the door certain more restrictive measures for holding black people.  Look at what the bill says, fgs.

Who said anything about injury or mental health?  Where does that nonsense come from?  It's always been my understanding that this girl was murdered by jail personnel, perhaps at the behest of the officer making what was obviously a phony arrest.  So why are we suddenly coming up with all these rosy themes for what is essentially a law to enlarge detention of apprehended individuals without benefit of judicial inquiry.  The carpet doesn't match the drapes.

All I'm saying is take a look at it.  Don't just believe the hype.

I really do give up with you sometimes and for you to even ask about mental health shows you have not even read or understand this new law

This is more about the republicans to you than it is about the law.
Frankly its pointless to even further discuss this

I can see the merits of this law, its astounding that you cannot

Good, I win.   Razz

But really, this is not about you or me.  This is for all to read, and as long as my points make sense to others, it's all for the good.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:37 am

Interesting words from The Texas Tribune:

None of those provisions were in the bill the Senate approved Thursday. A day earlier, Whitmire said that police groups opposed earlier provisions regarding consent searches and implicit bias and that the only way the legislation had a chance of passing was if it was written as a mental health bill. Two police organizations told the Tribune that language about racial profiling and bias came from a place of distrust of law enforcement.

Precisely the type of tactic they would use.  Under this bill, Sandra Bland would still have died.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:39 am

Original Quill wrote:Interesting words from The Texas Tribune:

None of those provisions were in the bill the Senate approved Thursday. A day earlier, Whitmire said that police groups opposed earlier provisions regarding consent searches and implicit bias and that the only way the legislation had a chance of passing was if it was written as a mental health bill. Two police organizations told the Tribune that language about racial profiling and bias came from a place of distrust of law enforcement.

Precisely the type of tactic they would use.  Under this bill, sassy Bland would still have died.

So as seen the new law protects against Police injustice

Thanks for that Quill

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:41 am

Thorin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:Interesting words from The Texas Tribune:

Precisely the type of tactic they would use.  Under this bill, sassy Bland would still have died.

Thanks for that Quill

You are such a fool, I have no doubt you would fall for that. You think like Trump.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jun 25, 2017 4:44 am

Original Quill wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Thanks for that Quill

You are such a fool, I have no doubt you would fall for that.  You think like Trump.

Wow, so I see you continue to abuse and not debate

I thought you would be an advocate of the law and this law seeks to protect people even after the Police protested it in the area.

One has to ask if this is more about you than actually protecting the people of Texas

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sun Jun 25, 2017 5:58 pm

Thorin wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

You are such a fool, I have no doubt you would fall for that.  You think like Trump.

I thought you would be an advocate of the law and this law seeks to protect people even after the Police protested it in the area.

One has to ask if this is more about you than actually protecting the people of Texas

Well, it is debate.  There's the presumption that people are too stupid to pay attention to politics...as John Stuart Mill said, I didn't say all Conservatives are stupid, I said all stupid people are Conservative.  In keeping with this, Republicans have engineered a system of borrowing 'feel-good' slogans for naming laws, and then implementing the exact opposite measures.  

You seem to be one of the gullible ones.  Sandra Bland died the result of police brutality behind closed doors, in the Harris County jail.  She was not mentally ill, nor was she a substance abuser.  She was the victim of an assault by prison personnel.

The hypocrisy of bringing forth a bill under the category of mental illness, and attaching it to her name, adds insult to the injury.  But to the ignorant of the world, it's too much for the attention span.  Republicans depend upon your kind of stupidity.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:54 pm

There's no evidence that she was assaulted is there?

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sun Jun 25, 2017 7:24 pm

Original Quill wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Well, it is debate.  There's the presumption that people are too stupid to pay attention to politics...as John Stuart Mill said, I didn't say all Conservatives are stupid, I said all stupid people are Conservative.  In keeping with this, Republicans have engineered a system of borrowing 'feel-good' slogans for naming laws, and then implementing the exact opposite measures.  

You seem to be one of the gullible ones.  Sandra Bland died the result of police brutality behind closed doors, in the Harris County jail.  She was not mentally ill, nor was she a substance abuser.  She was the victim of an assault by prison personnel.

The hypocrisy of bringing forth a bill under the category of mental illness, and attaching it to her name, adds insult to the injury.  But to the ignorant of the world, it's too much for the attention span.  Republicans depend upon your kind of stupidity.

The only gullibility is based on your constant belief to revisionist history
Or how you think people buy your claims to experience as a judge.
Maybe one you built out of lego and imagine that you are one
As your only defense here is that the Police will not follow this law, as you claim
You have yet to show how people are not protected by the law by this
Frankly your views on politics are as dangerous as any I have heard, quite similar to racism, in how you view people as inferior. 
All you have done is go off where and why on this being Texas again on a law that protects people
That just seems to me this is about your hate, as seen above where you view people as inferior
Now Last chance
Put up what is wrong with this law
Not your hearsay drivel
What is worse is you insult the family that this law is named after who fought to bring about this law

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down