Kensington's Muslim community hosts meal for people affected by Grenfell Tower blaze

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Kensington's Muslim community hosts meal for people affected by Grenfell Tower blaze

Post by Guest on Fri Jun 16, 2017 8:41 pm

Members of the North Kensington Muslim Community laid on an impromptu meal for those whose lives were ripped apart by the Grenfell Tower tragedy. Food was laid out on tablecloths on the pavement as those living nearby in one of London's most ethnically diverse areas rallied round.

Tablecloths were laid out along a street as the local Muslim community came together to host a meal CREDIT: PENNY APPEAL/FACEBOOK

Water, soft drinks, bread and food was on offer from Muslims who, at sunset, had broken their fast for the Iftar meal. Local Muslims were also credited for saving some lives on the night of the fire because they were still awake in the early hours of the morning as they observed Ramadan.
Zia Salik, head of fundraising at the charity Islamic Relief, said his team had worked around the clock to provide help. “There was a huge outpouring from the community to say ‘we want to do something’,” he told the Independent. Mr Salik, who lives nearby, had seen the fire from his window.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06/17/kensingtons-Muslim-community-hosts-meal-people-affected-grenfell/

Back to top Go down

Re: Kensington's Muslim community hosts meal for people affected by Grenfell Tower blaze

Post by HoratioTarr on Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:34 am

Everybody doing their bit. It's heart warming.
HoratioTarr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Kensington's Muslim community hosts meal for people affected by Grenfell Tower blaze

Post by Raggamuffin on Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:43 am

This is stolen from Electric Sky but I thought it was interesting. Where exactly are the victims?

https://www.facebook.com/presstvuk/videos/1808430345850347/

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr on Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:52 am

Raggamuffin wrote:This is stolen from Electric Sky but I thought it was interesting. Where exactly are the victims?

She's right. Though isn't it always the way that they do not release the names of the dead until it is confirmed they're dead. I think that's some kind of policy that's always been used. Also, all that clothing and food and drink? Kind of useless to those who are gone, and too much for those left alive. But I get that it makes people feel as though they're helping in some way. Better perhaps to financially contribute. There are several places you can do that.
HoratioTarr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:26 am

HoratioTarr wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:This is stolen from Electric Sky but I thought it was interesting. Where exactly are the victims?

She's right.   Though isn't it always the way that they do not release the names of the dead until it is confirmed they're dead.   I think that's some kind of policy that's always been used.   Also, all that clothing and food and drink?   Kind of useless to those who are gone, and too much for those left alive.   But I get that it makes people feel as though they're helping in some way.   Better perhaps to financially contribute.   There are several places you can do that.

I'm starting to wonder how many did actually die. At first, I hoped everyone got out, but that was unrealistic. Given the state of the building, I can't believe it's not higher than they're saying. However, the people who did get out are perhaps not in the area anyway - they'd hardly be left to wander around the streets. Have they been sent to temporary accommodation?

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Sat Jun 17, 2017 3:53 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

She's right.   Though isn't it always the way that they do not release the names of the dead until it is confirmed they're dead.   I think that's some kind of policy that's always been used.   Also, all that clothing and food and drink?   Kind of useless to those who are gone, and too much for those left alive.   But I get that it makes people feel as though they're helping in some way.   Better perhaps to financially contribute.   There are several places you can do that.

I'm starting to wonder how many did actually die. At first, I hoped everyone got out, but that was unrealistic. Given the state of the building, I can't believe it's not higher than they're saying. However, the people who did get out are perhaps not in the area anyway - they'd hardly be left to wander around the streets.  Have they been sent to temporary accommodation?

They reckon around 100+ have died, but given that there is sadly little remains left, it will take ages to identify Rags.

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum