RAF Reaper drone interrupts Islamic State public execution

View previous topic View next topic Go down

RAF Reaper drone interrupts Islamic State public execution

Post by Guest on Tue May 16, 2017 8:31 am

An RAF Reaper drone interrupted a public execution by the Islamic State group after opening fire on the militants and driving them off, the Ministry of Defence has said.

The remote-controlled aircraft disrupted the display in a Syrian town by killing a sentry with a Hellfire missile.

Details of the incident on May 9 were revealed on Tuesday by the MoD.

The Reaper was flying an armed reconnaissance mission when it spotted a group of fighters from Islamic State in Iraq and Levant (Isil), also known as Daesh, in a main street in the town of Abu Kamal.

A statement from the MoD said: “When a van then unloaded two shackled prisoners in front of the crowd, it became clear that Daesh were organising a public execution.

“Given the large number of civilians present, the Reaper’s crew could not target directly the Daesh fighters about to carry out the murders.”

The Reaper pilots, who are believed to have been flying the aircraft by satellite link from RAF Waddington in Lincolnshire, spotted two Isil fighters posted as sentries on a nearby roof.

The statement said: “A Hellfire missile was fired immediately, and scored a direct hit which not only killed one of the sentries but also brought the execution to an immediate halt, as the Daesh fighters fled the scene, and the crowd of civilians dispersed.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/16/raf-reaper-drone-interrupts-islamic-state-public-execution/

So not only was the actions here humanitarian to the civilians, but they managed to stop an execution.

Hats off to the RAF

Back to top Go down

Re: RAF Reaper drone interrupts Islamic State public execution

Post by Raggamuffin on Tue May 16, 2017 9:31 am

Good. If the civilians were there to gloat and celebrate the executions, I wouldn't have worried too much about them though.

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Foul on Tue May 16, 2017 12:06 pm

thats some "interruption" Laughing

There are those who's opinion I value, there are those who's opinion I neither value or scorn, and then there are those who's opinion I just ignore as insignificant...I can assure you the latter outnumber the first two combined by a whole order of magnitude

Difficile est meminisse officium paludes siccare , cum de nocte surrexeritis et asinus tuus alligators ....(It's hard to remember that the task is to drain the swamp, when you are up to your arse in alligators)
Lord Foul
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Wed May 17, 2017 2:56 am

reapers are truly the mechanization of war a real step up from predator drones.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top