Foodbank Users Reveal The Sheer Desperation That Left Them With No Other Option

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Foodbank Users Reveal The Sheer Desperation That Left Them With No Other Option

Post by Thorin on Sun May 14, 2017 9:04 am

But as Trussell Trust chief executive David McAuley wrote soon after, “you can’t just turn up at a foodbank’s doors because you spent all your money on Sky TV.” Most people are referred through job centre advisors or GPs. And here, three people who have used foodbanks share their stories, from the sudden turn of events that shook one woman’s life upside down to a family that hit tough times.




http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/foodbanks-reality-living-off_uk_591599c1e4b0031e737ceee3?oo8&utm_hp_ref=uk



So out of the 3 stories, one was due to their own incompetence with debt. The other two was down to blatant stupidity or at the very least they are being dishonest. As indeed it does take 6 weeks for you to receive payment for Universal credit. However, as soon as peoples applications have been processed, which only takes a couple of days. They can be loaned (interest free) up to 50% of their monthly calculated Universal credit. 


So why did neither do this?


Where did the money go for the one that worked at the Zoo with her last pay check? As did she not sign on straight away after the season ended?


What I am seeing from the above stories is incompetence from individuals themselves, that has led to people needing to use food banks.

_________________
At this point I do not know what is worse.
A person who is full of envy spreading rumours and lies.
Or the people with not enough education or common sense who believe them.
avatar
Thorin

Posts : 11544
Join date : 2017-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Foodbank Users Reveal The Sheer Desperation That Left Them With No Other Option

Post by Raggamuffin on Sun May 14, 2017 9:15 am

The first lady, Donna, said she saw the food bank advertised and drove there. Was she not referred there then?

The other lady, Maria, might want to think about moving someone a bit more accessible if she can. She sounds depressed to me.

Benefits do take a while to come through, so I would say to anyone - save money while you can in case things get rough.

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 28870
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Foodbank Users Reveal The Sheer Desperation That Left Them With No Other Option

Post by Thorin on Sun May 14, 2017 9:31 am

Raggamuffin wrote:The first lady, Donna, said she saw the food bank advertised and drove there. Was she not referred there then?

The other lady, Maria, might want to think about moving someone a bit more accessible if she can. She sounds depressed to me.

Benefits do take a while to come through, so I would say to anyone - save money while you can in case things get rough.


Which is my point Rags. Why did neither apply to have a loan from benefits, of which they can of up to 50% on their monthly calculated allowance?

I think the real reason there has been a rise is that more and more people are incompetent with their money, in that they live beyond their means.

_________________
At this point I do not know what is worse.
A person who is full of envy spreading rumours and lies.
Or the people with not enough education or common sense who believe them.
avatar
Thorin

Posts : 11544
Join date : 2017-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Foodbank Users Reveal The Sheer Desperation That Left Them With No Other Option

Post by nicko on Sun May 14, 2017 10:17 am

At our local Church I saw two people turn up to collect food parcels, they came in a TAXI !!
avatar
nicko

Posts : 8117
Join date : 2013-12-07
Age : 76
Location : rainbow bridge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Foodbank Users Reveal The Sheer Desperation That Left Them With No Other Option

Post by Raggamuffin on Sun May 14, 2017 10:27 am

Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:The first lady, Donna, said she saw the food bank advertised and drove there. Was she not referred there then?

The other lady, Maria, might want to think about moving someone a bit more accessible if she can. She sounds depressed to me.

Benefits do take a while to come through, so I would say to anyone - save money while you can in case things get rough.


Which is my point Rags. Why did neither apply to have a loan from benefits, of which they can of up to 50% on their monthly calculated allowance?

I think the real reason there has been a rise is that more and more people are incompetent with their money, in that they live beyond their means.

Perhaps they don't know they can have a loan from benefits.

I agree with you generally. If people put away a little each month, they could have enough to see them through if things get tough. The first lady said she had worked since she was 16, so why didn't she save a bit all those years? I can't understand how people live from pay packet to pay packet. For those who would say - they can't afford to save - of course they can. If you save even a tenner a month, that's £120 a year.

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 28870
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Foodbank Users Reveal The Sheer Desperation That Left Them With No Other Option

Post by Raggamuffin on Sun May 14, 2017 10:30 am

nicko wrote:At our local Church I saw two people turn up to collect food parcels,   they came in a TAXI !!

Laughing

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 28870
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Foodbank Users Reveal The Sheer Desperation That Left Them With No Other Option

Post by Thorin on Sun May 14, 2017 10:36 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Thorin wrote:


Which is my point Rags. Why did neither apply to have a loan from benefits, of which they can of up to 50% on their monthly calculated allowance?

I think the real reason there has been a rise is that more and more people are incompetent with their money, in that they live beyond their means.

Perhaps they don't know they can have a loan from benefits.

I agree with you generally. If people put away a little each month, they could have enough to see them through if things get tough. The first lady said she had worked since she was 16, so why didn't she save a bit all those years? I can't understand how people live from pay packet to pay packet. For those who would say - they can't afford to save - of course they can. If you save even a tenner a month, that's £120 a year.


I doubt they did not know. I have a friend who recently lost his job and was very clueless with money. He was told at his interview, it was 6 weeks before he would have any money and told his adviser that he had no money to get by. They told him that he could call the next day when all his paperwork had been put onto the system, that he should call the universal credit line for a loan. So I would be very surprised if they were not told or even said the same when told it takes 6 weeks to pay them. Of course its possible they were not, but I doubt it. 

I completely agree on your points and how many people live from pay packet to pay packet.

_________________
At this point I do not know what is worse.
A person who is full of envy spreading rumours and lies.
Or the people with not enough education or common sense who believe them.
avatar
Thorin

Posts : 11544
Join date : 2017-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Foodbank Users Reveal The Sheer Desperation That Left Them With No Other Option

Post by Raggamuffin on Sun May 14, 2017 10:36 am

The other point is - don't people have friends who can help them out a bit? Maria has a daughter who could perhaps help her out, at least with her depression.

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 28870
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Foodbank Users Reveal The Sheer Desperation That Left Them With No Other Option

Post by Thorin on Sun May 14, 2017 10:37 am

Raggamuffin wrote:The other point is - don't people have friends who can help them out a bit? Maria has a daughter who could perhaps help her out, at least with her depression.


A very good point.

_________________
At this point I do not know what is worse.
A person who is full of envy spreading rumours and lies.
Or the people with not enough education or common sense who believe them.
avatar
Thorin

Posts : 11544
Join date : 2017-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Foodbank Users Reveal The Sheer Desperation That Left Them With No Other Option

Post by Raggamuffin on Sun May 14, 2017 10:38 am

I basically could have come in off the street as anyone but it was genuine, I just needed this bit of help until the benefits kicked in and things became better for me.

So she wasn't referred. She was genuine, but can others walk in off the street who aren't genuine?

But as Trussell Trust chief executive David McAuley wrote soon after, “you can’t just turn up at a foodbank’s doors because you spent all your money on Sky TV.” Most people are referred through job centre advisors or GPs.

Even if you have to be referred, the GP or the Job Centre Advisor isn't going to ask if you spent all your money on Sky TV.

Maybe there should be classes at school on how to budget and save, and be responsible for yourself, or maybe there already are?

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 28870
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Foodbank Users Reveal The Sheer Desperation That Left Them With No Other Option

Post by Thorin on Sun May 14, 2017 10:41 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
I basically could have come in off the street as anyone but it was genuine, I just needed this bit of help until the benefits kicked in and things became better for me.

So she wasn't referred. She was genuine, but can others walk in off the street who aren't genuine?

But as Trussell Trust chief executive David McAuley wrote soon after, “you can’t just turn up at a foodbank’s doors because you spent all your money on Sky TV.” Most people are referred through job centre advisors or GPs.

Even if you have to be referred, the GP or the Job Centre Advisor isn't going to ask if you spent all your money on Sky TV.

Maybe there should be classes at school on how to budget and save, and be responsible for yourself, or maybe there already are?


Agree 100%

_________________
At this point I do not know what is worse.
A person who is full of envy spreading rumours and lies.
Or the people with not enough education or common sense who believe them.
avatar
Thorin

Posts : 11544
Join date : 2017-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Foodbank Users Reveal The Sheer Desperation That Left Them With No Other Option

Post by Raggamuffin on Sun May 14, 2017 10:43 am

Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:The other point is - don't people have friends who can help them out a bit? Maria has a daughter who could perhaps help her out, at least with her depression.


A very good point.

It's possible that she didn't tell her daughter how bad she felt, but she's on her own and her daughter should make sure she's OK. I hear this kind of thing over and over again. If someone is having a bad time, they should tell their friends and family. If they're worth anything, they'll help out. If they don't, they're not worth having.

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 28870
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Foodbank Users Reveal The Sheer Desperation That Left Them With No Other Option

Post by Raggamuffin on Sun May 14, 2017 10:48 am

This puzzles me too:

I had been working at Chester Zoo after being told I had to take the job. It was only seasonal work and then they finished me because it was the end of the summer. I had to go and sign on the dole. But it took them over five weeks to pay me.

Was it the benefits people who told she had to take the job? If so, was she on JSA before she took that job? If so, then they would know it was just a temporary job, so why would she have to sign on again?

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 28870
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Foodbank Users Reveal The Sheer Desperation That Left Them With No Other Option

Post by Thorin on Sun May 14, 2017 11:31 am

Raggamuffin wrote:This puzzles me too:

I had been working at Chester Zoo after being told I had to take the job. It was only seasonal work and then they finished me because it was the end of the summer. I had to go and sign on the dole. But it took them over five weeks to pay me.

Was it the benefits people who told she had to take the job? If so, was she on JSA before she took that job? If so, then they would know it was just a temporary job, so why would she have to sign on again?


That is strange and goes back to my point about if some are being honest here. As just rang my friend who said the Universal claim stays open on the system when people get back into employment, for 6 months. As many people get some temp work but that its hit and miss. Where they could do a few months work and then nothing. Thay you could work one full week of hours, then nothing the next week and Universal credit know the hours you have worked through the Tax office and just recalculate what they will be paid. They just deduct from their monthly pay, what the person has earned after tax. 

Where it also allows for people to still be paid when back into full time employment, when its going to be a month before their first pay day. So its very doubtful she would have needed to apply again. Her claim should have still been open, unless it was longer than 6 months when she got back into employment.

So that is an interesting point raised Rags

_________________
At this point I do not know what is worse.
A person who is full of envy spreading rumours and lies.
Or the people with not enough education or common sense who believe them.
avatar
Thorin

Posts : 11544
Join date : 2017-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum