Scientists Explain Why They're Running for Political Office

Go down

Scientists Explain Why They're Running for Political Office

Post by Lurker on Sat Apr 22, 2017 1:12 pm

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/why-scientists-are-running-for-office

About 100 scientists met in Washington, DC Thursday to learn how to win an election.

Ahead of the March for Science Saturday, about 100 scientists met at American University in Washington, DC for a training session to learn how they can run for office to bring science, reason, and logical thinking back to politics.

"It shows a level of seriousness to show up here," Shaughnessy Naughton, executive director of 314 Action, the group that will support many of these candidates. "It's scary taking that step from being a private citizen to putting your name out there to run for office."

I caught up with eight potential candidates—some of them already have seats in mind and have announced their candidacies, others are simply testing the waters—about why they want to leave the lab bench for the bully pulpit.

Lurker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Scientists Explain Why They're Running for Political Office

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:10 pm

What a Face

Scientists, academics, teachers and assorted pro-science supporters have been conducting meetings, forums and demonstrations/expo's down here this week, as well...

No doubt there have been similar shows in Europe and Asia, also..

The Trump administration didn't create the current anti-science, non-reasoning, "alternative facts" universe.  Theirs is simply the latest incarnation in the anti-science/anti-truth atmosphere that has been building over decades..  Often starting at primary school or even earlier, fed by peer pressure, sometimes worsened by parental attitudes.

Largely promoted and pushed along by big business interests (e.g. tobacco, asbestos, coal mining, big oil, big pharma'), their supplicant politicians and bastard-minded  lobbyists, and assorted nutbag (e.g. "anti-vaxxers"..), reactionary and redneck groups..

Well represented by familiar denialists and revisionists, (the likes of Tommy and a couple of his idiot backers), right here on NewsFix...          cyclops

Henry David Thoreau
WhoseYourWolfie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly on Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:07 am

In honor of this, I've switched back to the first avatar I had on this site Smile

And I will share this mind-numbingly horrible thing:

- nicko
Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly
Cowboy King. Enemy of the American People. Slimebag Worm, No Moral Bag of Shit

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Lurker on Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:33 am

Ben Reilly wrote:In honor of this, I've switched back to the first avatar I had on this site Smile

Ignorant idiots brainwashing kids into idiots. That's how we ended up with Trump.

Lurker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:14 am

No, it's subtler than that.  Lack of funding for education, plus alcoholic parents, spousal violence, unemployment and criminal justice recidivism all make rednecks...and rednecks voted Trump in.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Sun Apr 23, 2017 3:41 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:In honor of this, I've switched back to the first avatar I had on this site Smile

I knew this picture would make it on to the forum! Laughing

King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:09 am

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down