United Airlines Passenger Pulled Screaming From His Seat Because Flight Was Overbooked

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

United Airlines Passenger Pulled Screaming From His Seat Because Flight Was Overbooked

Post by Thorin on Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:09 pm

First topic message reminder :

A man has been filmed being pulled screaming from his plane seat because the airline overbooked the flight and needed to get people off. The footage shows the man being yanked from his United Airlines seat by three men before being dragged down the aisle as other passengers scream in protest.

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/united-airlines-video_uk_58eb98e3e4b058f0a030fedc?utm_hp_ref=uk

Video's on link
avatar
Thorin

Posts : 7858
Join date : 2017-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down


Re: United Airlines Passenger Pulled Screaming From His Seat Because Flight Was Overbooked

Post by Original Quill on Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:13 am

Jules wrote:Well Quill, that system makes sense, but in this particular case it was just random apparently. This is what it says in the link: >
"They initially asked for volunteers but when no one came forward, a computer randomly selected four people."

Yes, but I think the reporter misunderstood the idea of random selection. If it was truly random, a computer could not do it...as it involves selecting a universe of nothingness. A computer follows instructions, and we have yet to come up with a precise definition of absolute nothingness.

What the reporter meant to say is the computer selected without knowledge of names or personal factors. Other accounts elaborate: the computer came up with a list of least pressing passengers, based upon airline connections. It ignored any identification, including profession or reason for travel.

_________________
"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

"...thought before action" ― Sheldon Wolin

"Work for America to fail whenever the other party is in power."
― Republican Senator Majority Leader Mitch McConnell

Original Quill

Posts : 17744
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 52
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: United Airlines Passenger Pulled Screaming From His Seat Because Flight Was Overbooked

Post by Raggamuffin on Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:20 am

I read that he initially volunteered, but changed his mind when he realised when the next flight was.

http://edition.cnn.com/2017/04/11/travel/united-customer-dragged-off-overbooked-flight/

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 27581
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: United Airlines Passenger Pulled Screaming From His Seat Because Flight Was Overbooked

Post by Syl on Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:17 pm

Overbooking is apparently considered to be good business practice on airlines.
They work on the assumption that not everyone will turn up, so the plane then doesn't leave with empty seats if more people have been sold tickets.
In the event of everyone turning up which results in more passengers than seats, this is usually sorted out BEFORE people board.

In this case it wasn't....and the seats were for staff not passengers, which makes it a double fiasco.

_________________
My body is in Manchester (sometimes) my mind's all over the place (always)
Happy now??
avatar
Syl

Posts : 9945
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: United Airlines Passenger Pulled Screaming From His Seat Because Flight Was Overbooked

Post by HoratioTarr on Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:39 pm

Original Quill wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

Overbooking like this is wrong...but that's how it is.   As for him having patients to see the next day...more like wages to lose.    Thing is, you just cannot behave like this on planes.   Once you start that, then it's anything goes.   You set a precedent.

What an asshole comment to make, HT.  He didn't do anything.  The United mafia goons did all the acting.

Are you one of those 1 percenters who never have to join in with the unwashed riff-raff?  We'll send our corporate goons to speak with your corporate goons.  Rolling Eyes

Getting personal just destroys your argument. Grow up.
avatar
HoratioTarr

Posts : 5225
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: United Airlines Passenger Pulled Screaming From His Seat Because Flight Was Overbooked

Post by HoratioTarr on Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:41 pm

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

What an asshole comment to make, HT.  He didn't do anything.  The United mafia goons did all the acting.

Are you one of those 1 percenters who never have to join in with the unwashed riff-raff?  We'll send our corporate goons to speak with your corporate goons.  Rolling Eyes

Idea

Horatio and Syl are both showing their true colours on here today...

Both are making lowlife, arsehole, unsubstantiated claims about the victim of an unlawful and immoral assault on a passenger by a commercial airline and its hired "private police" security goons..

Typical, what we have come to expect from the likes of nasty and dishonest scumbags, the likes of H/T, Syl and company, in recent months.

How do they consistently manage to drag up these corporate-propaganda, mud-slinging, victim-bashing puff pieces, when we don't see it on regular news services ?  Just what kind of sleazy, lowlife sites and channels are they regularly trawling through..    Suspect

lol!
avatar
HoratioTarr

Posts : 5225
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: United Airlines Passenger Pulled Screaming From His Seat Because Flight Was Overbooked

Post by HoratioTarr on Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:43 pm

Syl wrote:
WhoseYourWolfie wrote:
Idea

Horatio and Syl are both showing their true colours on here today...

Both are making lowlife, arsehole, unsubstantiated claims about the victim of an unlawful and immoral assault on a passenger by a commercial airline and its hired "private police" security goons..

Typical, what we have come to expect from the likes of nasty and dishonest scumbags, the likes of H/T, Syl and company, in recent months.

How do they consistently manage to drag up these corporate-propaganda, mud-slinging, victim-bashing puff pieces, when we don't see it on regular news services ?  Just what kind of sleazy, lowlife sites and channels are they regularly trawling through..    Suspect

Liar...I have sympathy for the man....not as much as I have for you obviously, but never the less I have condemned UA thoughout the thread....idiot.

I've already said I don't agree with what happened there, but you can't argue with stupid.
avatar
HoratioTarr

Posts : 5225
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: United Airlines Passenger Pulled Screaming From His Seat Because Flight Was Overbooked

Post by HoratioTarr on Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:45 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
WhoseYourWolfie wrote:
Idea

Horatio and Syl are both showing their true colours on here today...

Both are making lowlife, arsehole, unsubstantiated claims about the victim of an unlawful and immoral assault on a passenger by a commercial airline and its hired "private police" security goons..

Typical, what we have come to expect from the likes of nasty and dishonest scumbags, the likes of H/T, Syl and company, in recent months.

How do they consistently manage to drag up these corporate-propaganda, mud-slinging, victim-bashing puff pieces, when we don't see it on regular news services ?  Just what kind of sleazy, lowlife sites and channels are they regularly trawling through..    Suspect

Neither of them have done what you say they've done. Syl has commented about the publicity re the personal life of the man, and Horatio has simply given her opinion about what happened.

Try reading what people actually say instead of attacking other posters for saying what you think they said.

Thank you. I think he just sees our names, a few choice words he can twist and then talks out of his arse.
avatar
HoratioTarr

Posts : 5225
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: United Airlines Passenger Pulled Screaming From His Seat Because Flight Was Overbooked

Post by HoratioTarr on Fri Apr 14, 2017 1:48 pm

Syl wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:I'd have quite happily accepted the money and free hotel and got a flight next day.   As the other three did.  


I know legally he had to leave the plane if he was told to, but surely compromises could have been made.
I bet other passengers would have left after money was offered, especially those who didn't have patients to see and places to be.

Like I said, it's not the right thing to do, overbooking for starters. But if that's the way it is, then just accept it. Do I think it's right him being dragged from his seat? No. Do I think he should have left gracefully? Yes. As you say, a compromise might have worked. The plane not leaving until he'd acquiesced would probably have worked.
avatar
HoratioTarr

Posts : 5225
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: United Airlines Passenger Pulled Screaming From His Seat Because Flight Was Overbooked

Post by eddie on Mon Apr 17, 2017 6:48 pm

Not sure of the authenticity

Dark History Of The Doctor Abused On United Airlines Flight Surfaces

http://www.providr.com/history-of-doctor-abused-on-united-airlines-surfaces/3/?utm_source=Shared&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=providr

_________________
“They were curved together like quotation marks with no words in between.”
avatar
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

Posts : 30422
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 47
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: United Airlines Passenger Pulled Screaming From His Seat Because Flight Was Overbooked

Post by Original Quill on Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:02 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Syl wrote:


I know legally he had to leave the plane if he was told to, but surely compromises could have been made.
I bet other passengers would have left after money was offered, especially those who didn't have patients to see and places to be.

Like I said,  it's not the right thing to do, overbooking for starters.   But if that's the way it is, then just accept it.   Do I think it's right him being dragged from his seat?   No.   Do I think he should have left gracefully?  Yes.   As you say, a compromise might have worked.   The plane not leaving until he'd acquiesced would probably have worked.  

And if that's the way it is, and you can't accept it...you make things change!

It's situations like this that show us that the system is not right. Think of the world as institution vs. individual. How come the institution always wins? The right get richer. The corporations get their way. Banks get bailed out, and we, the little guy, have to work two jobs. There is a sentiment out that that the individual personality ought to win sometimes. And this is it.

_________________
"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

"...thought before action" ― Sheldon Wolin

"Work for America to fail whenever the other party is in power."
― Republican Senator Majority Leader Mitch McConnell

Original Quill

Posts : 17744
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 52
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: United Airlines Passenger Pulled Screaming From His Seat Because Flight Was Overbooked

Post by HoratioTarr on Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:03 pm

Original Quill wrote:
HoratioTarr wrote:

Like I said,  it's not the right thing to do, overbooking for starters.   But if that's the way it is, then just accept it.   Do I think it's right him being dragged from his seat?   No.   Do I think he should have left gracefully?  Yes.   As you say, a compromise might have worked.   The plane not leaving until he'd acquiesced would probably have worked.  

And if that's the way it is, and you can't accept it...you make things change!

It's situations like this that show us that the system is not right.  Think of the world as institution vs. individual.  How come the institution always wins?  The right get richer.  The corporations get their way.  Banks get bailed out, and we, the little guy, have to work two jobs.  There is a sentiment out that that the individual personality ought to win sometimes.  And this is it.

I'd rather people behaved on planes. For obvious fucking reasons. Rolling Eyes
avatar
HoratioTarr

Posts : 5225
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: United Airlines Passenger Pulled Screaming From His Seat Because Flight Was Overbooked

Post by Original Quill on Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:09 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

And if that's the way it is, and you can't accept it...you make things change!

It's situations like this that show us that the system is not right.  Think of the world as institution vs. individual.  How come the institution always wins?  The right get richer.  The corporations get their way.  Banks get bailed out, and we, the little guy, have to work two jobs.  There is a sentiment out that that the individual personality ought to win sometimes.  And this is it.

I'd rather people behaved on planes.   For obvious fucking reasons. Rolling Eyes

See, and I'd rather United Airlines take their lickings for creating this situation. This is as clear as it gets: corporation = bad; personal victim = had to pay for corporate evil. It rarely gets any clearer than that.

United Airlines was in bankruptcy back in 2002-2006. They deserve to go back.

_________________
"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

"...thought before action" ― Sheldon Wolin

"Work for America to fail whenever the other party is in power."
― Republican Senator Majority Leader Mitch McConnell

Original Quill

Posts : 17744
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 52
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: United Airlines Passenger Pulled Screaming From His Seat Because Flight Was Overbooked

Post by eddie on Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:15 pm

eddie wrote:Not sure of the authenticity

Dark History Of The Doctor Abused On United Airlines Flight Surfaces

http://www.providr.com/history-of-doctor-abused-on-united-airlines-surfaces/3/?utm_source=Shared&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=providr

I've checked it on google. I'm pretty sure it's true.

_________________
“They were curved together like quotation marks with no words in between.”
avatar
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

Posts : 30422
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 47
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: United Airlines Passenger Pulled Screaming From His Seat Because Flight Was Overbooked

Post by Original Quill on Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:25 pm

eddie wrote:
eddie wrote:Not sure of the authenticity

Dark History Of The Doctor Abused On United Airlines Flight Surfaces

http://www.providr.com/history-of-doctor-abused-on-united-airlines-surfaces/3/?utm_source=Shared&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=providr

I've checked it on google. I'm pretty sure it's true.

Sounds like United's dirt doctors have been doing their job crafting 'alternate facts'.  With the amount United pays them, they might have purchased four more tickets and we would all be satisfied.

_________________
"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

"...thought before action" ― Sheldon Wolin

"Work for America to fail whenever the other party is in power."
― Republican Senator Majority Leader Mitch McConnell

Original Quill

Posts : 17744
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 52
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: United Airlines Passenger Pulled Screaming From His Seat Because Flight Was Overbooked

Post by eddie on Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:02 pm

Did you read the link, Quill?

_________________
“They were curved together like quotation marks with no words in between.”
avatar
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

Posts : 30422
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 47
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: United Airlines Passenger Pulled Screaming From His Seat Because Flight Was Overbooked

Post by Original Quill on Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:13 am

eddie wrote:Did you read the link, Quill?

Of course.  It's not very complex.  Ask yourself, what does the background of the passenger have to do with what United Airlines did?  The story is what United did, and why they did it.

It's a distraction...look over there, don't look over here.  It disrupts the narrative of United's wrongdoing, while casting pointless aspersions on the victim.  Old trick.  It's just the fodder that United's dirt doctors would put out.

Case in point: In December 2007, a tiger escaped from it's cage in the San Francisco Zoo.  It killed a man and mauled three others.  Police finally killed the tiger.  The zoo immediately hired a spin doctor, who immediately alleged: The victim was drinking...the kids were taunting the tiger...the crazed tiger didn't know what to do.  The spin doctors put out a story that reverses the whole victim hypothesis:

Time, Inc. wrote:But is it possible that Tatiana may have remembered the three men — who may have taunted her — and set out for them specifically?

Even an expert on Big cats dismissed that idea:

Time, Inc. wrote:"There's nothing more focused than a tiger who wants to kill something." The thing is, though, it's not easy to prompt such enmity: "To get a tiger to want to fight you is pretty hard," says Salmoni. "Tigers don't like to fight. They hunt to kill and eat. That's it."

It turned out that the tiger cage was improperly designed and the tiger escaped as a result.  But the zoo's spin doctor managed to shift the story from the negligent zoo to the 'taunting victim and the poor, biddy tiger'--everyone loves a cute kitty story.  But they were exposed:

SJ Mercury News wrote:‘Fixer’ Hired by S.F. Zoo is Well-Versed in Spinning Events

By Kim Vo
San Jose Mercury News, January 6, 2008

When bad news slams into this corner of the world, Sam Singer’s phone rings.

A wayward ship is leaking fuel into San Francisco Bay. The mayor slept with his friend’s wife, who is also a city employee. And, in the latest scandal transfixing the locals, a tiger somehow escaped her San Francisco Zoo enclosure and killed a San Jose teenager on Christmas Day.
.....
Singer, of San Francisco-based Sam Singer and Associates, was recently hired by the zoo as a contract public relations personnel.

When the glare is bright and unflattering, Singer steps in. The area’s go-to crisis manager has a knack for deflecting the spotlight, or at least changing the bulb to cast his client in a more flattering light.
http://singersf.com/hes-the-guy-they-turn-to-in-a-bay-area-crisis/

If a lowly zoo can find a spin doctor, don'cha think United Airlines can?  This shit goes on all the time.  Don't fall for it, or you are the chump.

_________________
"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

"...thought before action" ― Sheldon Wolin

"Work for America to fail whenever the other party is in power."
― Republican Senator Majority Leader Mitch McConnell

Original Quill

Posts : 17744
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 52
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: United Airlines Passenger Pulled Screaming From His Seat Because Flight Was Overbooked

Post by eddie on Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:08 pm

I don't think it excuses what happened to him at all.
I merely wanted some opinions on his background as I'm wondering whether he was chosen purposefully and not at random, as the airline have claimed.

_________________
“They were curved together like quotation marks with no words in between.”
avatar
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

Posts : 30422
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 47
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: United Airlines Passenger Pulled Screaming From His Seat Because Flight Was Overbooked

Post by Original Quill on Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:56 pm

eddie wrote:I don't think it excuses what happened to him at all.
I merely wanted some opinions on his background as I'm wondering whether he was chosen purposefully and not at random, as the airline have claimed.

There would have to be an intel connection...someone who gave the Airlines the information beforehand. I don't discount it out of hand, but I would have to see some substance that suggests it.

Remember, probable cause... If we just make up stories, we are Donald Trump all over again. Not good.

_________________
"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

"...thought before action" ― Sheldon Wolin

"Work for America to fail whenever the other party is in power."
― Republican Senator Majority Leader Mitch McConnell

Original Quill

Posts : 17744
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 52
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: United Airlines Passenger Pulled Screaming From His Seat Because Flight Was Overbooked

Post by Syl on Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:35 pm

United Airlines settle out of court for an undisclosed sum....bet thats cost them. Twisted Evil

" Lawyers for the Vietnamese-American confirmed on Thursday an undisclosed settlement had been agreed. The deal includes a confidentiality clause."

they also say.....

"The airline said earlier on Thursday it will now offer passengers who volunteer to give up their seats on overbooked flights up to $10,000 (£7,750). Dr Dao had refused to volunteer his seat."

That's a huge increase from the $800 this man was reportedly offered to give up his seat



http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/united-settles-with-passenger-dragged-off-plane/ar-BBAskIm?li=AAmiR2Z&ocid=spartanntp

_________________
My body is in Manchester (sometimes) my mind's all over the place (always)
Happy now??
avatar
Syl

Posts : 9945
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: United Airlines Passenger Pulled Screaming From His Seat Because Flight Was Overbooked

Post by magica on Fri Apr 28, 2017 4:09 pm

Good for him. No body should ever be dragged off a plane like that unless they were terrorists. I bet they wouldn't drag them off either!

This man was hurt, humiliated and dragged bodily off his seat and plane. I hope this never happens again and hope the perpetrators sacked.

_________________
__________________________________________________________________________________

Don't walk behind I may not lead
Don't walk in front I may not follow
Just walk beside me and be my friend.
avatar
magica

Posts : 1096
Join date : 2016-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: United Airlines Passenger Pulled Screaming From His Seat Because Flight Was Overbooked

Post by Syl on Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:32 pm

magica wrote:Good for him. No body should ever be dragged off a plane like that unless they were terrorists. I bet they wouldn't drag them off either!

This man was hurt, humiliated and dragged bodily off his seat and plane. I hope this never happens again and hope the perpetrators sacked.

After the three security guards were initially praised for their actions by UA, the company quickly backtracked an suspended them...then it came out that those men should not have been on the plane in the first place.
It was a cockup from start to finish.

I wonder how long UA will offer $10,000 to passengers for.....not for long is my guess.

_________________
My body is in Manchester (sometimes) my mind's all over the place (always)
Happy now??
avatar
Syl

Posts : 9945
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: United Airlines Passenger Pulled Screaming From His Seat Because Flight Was Overbooked

Post by magica on Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:41 pm

No I don't think so Syl either. It beggars belief they did this in the first place Shocked

_________________
__________________________________________________________________________________

Don't walk behind I may not lead
Don't walk in front I may not follow
Just walk beside me and be my friend.
avatar
magica

Posts : 1096
Join date : 2016-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: United Airlines Passenger Pulled Screaming From His Seat Because Flight Was Overbooked

Post by Syl on Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:48 pm

magica wrote:No I don't think so Syl either. It beggars belief they did this in the first place Shocked

There have been a couple of other issues with this airline since this debacle...they have been played down though.
Blimey, they make our Ryanair and Jet 2 seem like luxury transport. Razz

_________________
My body is in Manchester (sometimes) my mind's all over the place (always)
Happy now??
avatar
Syl

Posts : 9945
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: United Airlines Passenger Pulled Screaming From His Seat Because Flight Was Overbooked

Post by magica on Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:37 pm

Lol Syl Laughing

_________________
__________________________________________________________________________________

Don't walk behind I may not lead
Don't walk in front I may not follow
Just walk beside me and be my friend.
avatar
magica

Posts : 1096
Join date : 2016-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum