Hats

Go down

Hats

Post by Original Quill on Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:34 pm

I wear hats, because of the California sun.  I have several types, and I'm trying to learn the names.  I have several flat hats, but I've learned it has a specific name: Ascot hat.

It's also called a Newsboy hat and I've learned, an Irish field hat.  

And this is a straw boater:

What kind of hats do you have?

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hats

Post by Syl on Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:53 pm

I didnt know the tweed cap had a specific name, I would have just called it a tweed cap.  Laughing

If I ever need a hat, (and I don't often wear them unless its a posh day do) I wear one very similar to this.

I don't suit little fuddy duddy type fascinator types.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:47 pm

I adore hats. I have several berets in various colours.

“The great charm in argument is really finding one's own opinions, not other people's”
- Evelyn Waugh
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Mon Apr 03, 2017 6:53 pm

I have a few newsboy hats - they suit me better than some other hats. They're also called baker boy hats. I have other types too - too many really. Laughing

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:32 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I have a few newsboy hats - they suit me better than some other hats. They're also called baker boy hats. I have other types too - too many really. Laughing

Yes, that particular hat type has morphed into many different uses, many different names.  The original was originally wool, with tweed pattern.  I've got two: herringbone and houndstooth.  But there's also a straw one, a jeans one, many different cotton kinds, and even a paper one (Chinese use a resilient paper derivative to make a kind of straw, which is then woven--not to be worn in rain, surely).

I also have a few porkpie hats...

My doctor is on me to have a brim.

"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

“That's libertarians for you — anarchists who want police protection from their slaves.” ― Kim Stanley Robinson, Green Mars
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:43 am

I like 'straw akubra' hats I have a newish one, an old one and a black one
it is colder down here but still sunny so I am probably going to get a classic leather one too
(like Crocodile Dundee but without the teeth and decoration)

I have some newsboy hats too (many are old I inherited from my granddad)
they don't do much for the sun, but they look more classy than a beanie in winter.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:48 am

I have a few kicking around here...

Aussie style "cowboy" hats (including a rabbit_felt Akubra..) -- they look better, and more understated, than the American "Stetson" styles..

And a couple of sunhats, cricket hats, a few 'baseball' caps (more practical in windy conditions, or in places where broad-brimmed hats will get knocked off..).

A few beanies/"watch caps" and balaclavas, for cold weather..
And a couple of bandannas to keep among my bushwalking/travel gear;  and a "shemagh"..

And several hard hats -- protective headgear that I've accumulated over the years --  for activities like bicycling, kayaking, rockclimbing, beekeeping, emergency volunteer work.       jocolor        

Henry David Thoreau
WhoseYourWolfie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:50 am

University hats are really baseball caps. I've got one from each university I've attended and gotten a degree from (3).

Here's my Rutgers cap...

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:53 am

A friend gave me this.  Only use it in the rain...

I understand it's an Aussie Bush hat.  Must be sexy...I get a lot of attention from the women when I wear it.  Laughing  American girls like Aussies. They think they're rugged and daring.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Tue Apr 04, 2017 12:22 pm

Original Quill wrote:A friend gave me this.  Only use it in the rain...

I understand it's an Aussie Bush hat.  Must be sexy...I get a lot of attention from the women when I wear it.  Laughing  American girls like Aussies.  They think they're rugged and daring.

I like that hat best...apart from my own obviously. Smile

There is something about a man who wears a hat like this one, specially in England, for one he must have lots of confidence, which is always attractive.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jules on Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:28 pm

The pitiful amount of sunshine we get in Britain is too pathetic to bother with  protective hats. Except for people who spend a lot of time outdoors, and small kids.

Hats also feature in national costumes. Sorry I forgot to include an american baseball cap or ten gallon hat. lol!

Jules

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:44 pm

Looking for a deerslayer's cap...

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:46 pm

Love the RCMP cold weather hat...

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jules on Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:50 pm

Yes Deerslayer's hats are a knockout look!! I think we call them deerstalker's hats over here.
I like to see men in Russian Korsakoff hats too. Damn sexy.

--------------------------------------

For us girls, sometimes less is more!

Last edited by Jules on Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jules

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:51 pm

And the Karakul Jinnah...

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jules on Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:55 pm

Original Quill wrote:And the Karakul Jinnah...

Mind your language!!! affraid Laughing fiesta
Jules

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:43 pm

Jules wrote:Yes Deerslayer's hats are a knockout look!! I think we call them deerstalker's hats over here.

Laughing

"Fascinators" aren"t really genuine 'hats'...

They are simply the milliners' proving how gullible their customers can be, and having a laugh at the same time..

Down here, they are mostly a cornerstone of the 'Ladies' Days' at the horseracing Spring Carnivals, as they are at Ascot, and over in Kentucky.          jocolor      fiesta       hi

Henry David Thoreau
WhoseYourWolfie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Sat Apr 08, 2017 6:56 pm

Original Quill wrote:Looking for a deerslayer's cap...

Sherlock Holmes would be proud...

Besides the traditional British deer stalkers and bowler hats, there's also the Scottish tam o'shanter --  I have one of these sitting in a drawer here :

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=tam+o%27shanter&client=tablet-android-samsung&prmd=imsvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjx0_rxtZXTAhXHJZQKHcLLAYIQ_AUIBygB&biw=1024&bih=768#imgrc=VbohHhh9SqAneM:

And as for 'traditional' American hats  --  the Indiana Jones style wool felt 'Fedora' broad-brimmed hat must surely stand alongside the Stetsons  ?

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=fedora&client=tablet-android-samsung&prmd=isvn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjYzZ2VuJXTAhWEq5QKHehuDZcQ_AUIBygB&biw=1024&bih=768#imgdii=bF4f7ZDylfh3uM:&imgrc=GzuFH0owncJI1M:

Henry David Thoreau
WhoseYourWolfie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Sat Apr 08, 2017 8:06 pm

That top one looks like it could serve as a speaker chair...

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr on Sat Apr 08, 2017 9:09 pm

eddie wrote:I adore hats. I have several berets in various colours.

I like hats....I suit them too, but hardly wear them these days. I tend to wear faux fur ski bands in winter.
HoratioTarr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:07 am

HoratioTarr wrote:
eddie wrote:I adore hats. I have several berets in various colours.

I like hats....I suit them too, but hardly wear them these days.    I tend to wear faux fur ski bands in winter.

"Hats and ponytails - Great for days when you cannot be bothered to wash your hair"

If I sold hats that would be my slogan. jocolor

“The great charm in argument is really finding one's own opinions, not other people's”
- Evelyn Waugh
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly on Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:12 am

Now that I think about it, I have more hats than I would have expected Smile

Two straw cowboy hats, a newsboy, several baseball caps, and two knit caps for winter.

I don't wear any of them very often, though. When you shave your head like I do, tan lines become an issue ...

- Blue Water Highway Band
Ben Mothafuckin' Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American People.

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Jules on Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:41 am

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:
Jules wrote:Yes Deerslayer's hats are a knockout look!! I think we call them deerstalker's hats over here.

Laughing

"Fascinators" aren"t really genuine 'hats'...

They are simply the milliners' proving how gullible their customers can be, and having a laugh at the same time..

Down here, they are mostly a cornerstone of the 'Ladies' Days' at the horseracing Spring Carnivals, as they are at Ascot, and over in Kentucky.          jocolor      fiesta       hi

Correct - in fact I don't think it's real milliners who make some of these strange creations, cos some are basically just pieces of artistic work that would look better on a coffee table!! lol!

Mind you, the middle pic is not someone at the races, wolfie, it was Princess Beatrice at a wedding and she wears very strange 'hats' to other weddings too, she always steals all the limelight away from the bride! lol!
Jules

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jules on Sun Apr 09, 2017 11:30 pm

Original Quill wrote:

That top one looks like it could serve as a speaker chair...

I see what you mean, Quill. Looks like an infant's car seat too. lol! lol!

I meant to say Kossak/Cossak hats, not Kossakoff or whatever.  LOVE them!! One look at them on a male or female,  takes me straight into a Bond movie. (From Russia With Love!)  Doesn't princess kate look nice in it (the first pic)!

Goodnight pet. x
Jules

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:12 am

Jules wrote:Doesn't princess kate look nice in it (the first pic)!

She's a very handsome lady. She'd look good in anything.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:20 am

I think she's really plain and if she wasn't married to Prince William you'd walk past her in the street..?

But then, I'm not actually a fan of hers. I've yet to see any resemblance of a personality.

- Evelyn Waugh
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:11 pm

eddie wrote:I think she's really plain and if she wasn't married to Prince William you'd walk past her in the street..?

But then, I'm not actually a fan of hers.  I've yet to see any resemblance of a personality.

She seems nice....that's about all I can say, she gets her head down, does her job, and wears designer gear that would make any average looking woman look attractive.

I agree she seems to have a very subdued personality...she just isn't endearing like her deceased MIL was.
Mind you, Diana is a very hard act to follow.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jules on Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:22 pm

eddie wrote:I think she's really plain and if she wasn't married to Prince William you'd walk past her in the street..?

But then, I'm not actually a fan of hers.  I've yet to see any resemblance of a personality.

Bit harsh to say she is really plain. (Given that 'plain' is sometimes used as a polite word for 'ugly'). Kate is not a classic beauty but she is pretty enough, I feel. Got a cracking figure too - the whole package should be taken into account, in assessing a woman's attractiveness - face, figure, style, intelligence, everything.

Yes her personality is a bit subdued. Her MIL Diana had a strong, outgoing personality and this completely overshadowed her husband and the entire royal family, causing great resentment among the royals.  So it is probably a blessing that Wills chose a very quiet woman.
Jules

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:24 pm

I'd imagine that position, being in that family, would knock any personality out of you. I think she's smart and just lays low.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:01 pm

Original Quill wrote:

I'd imagine that position, being in that family, would knock any personality out of you.  I think she's smart and just lays low.

You're possibly right and she probably is smart. She just doesn't seem to have any zing about her.

- Evelyn Waugh
eddie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:09 pm

eddie wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

I'd imagine that position, being in that family, would knock any personality out of you.  I think she's smart and just lays low.

You're possibly right and she probably is smart. She just doesn't seem to have any zing about her.

She suits Prince William, who is 'nice' but hardly seems the life and soul himself.

Maybe Harry will settle for someone with a bit more spark.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jules on Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:03 pm

eddie wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

You're possibly right and she probably is smart.

She just doesn't seem to have any zing about her.
She has a  wild side. She goes topless in front of her staff  when on holiday!  You know what they say about the quiet ones! Wink

As for william, he knows how to have fun too.  Here he is (in the centre, in the light blue shirt) busting some moves. OK it's dreadful dad dancing, but he's still having fun. He does not even mind dancing alone when others refused to join him.

His brother Harry has (or had) an ethnic girlfriend  so no way would he dance like that. Harry is in a different league, cos of her influence and he twerks and jives around the floor like a pro.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:09 pm

Harry is smooth.  No 'dreadful dad' dancing there...

And Harry doesn't dance alone, like some dork in the corner (soz Bill).  The ladies adore him!

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jules on Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:27 pm

Haha Quill. None of the royals are shrinking violets. I once saw a BBC news clip of their dad Charles getting on his knees during a dance, he was literally kneeling on the floor - and he had a suit on at the time!!  Princess Ann can get very lively on the dancefloor too.  
I don't blame them. Life is short, enjoy yourself while you can!!!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down