Is There a Christian Double Standard on Religious Violence?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Re: Is There a Christian Double Standard on Religious Violence?

Post by Raggamuffin on Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:55 am

I think this is a very complex issue. First of all, you have to determine if someone is committing an act of terrorism in the name of their religion. I don't think that Dylann Roof killed Christians in the name of Christianity, and I don't think that McDowell planned to kill Jews because he's a Christian. The IRA may well be Catholics, but they didn't terrorise the British people in the name of their religion.

Then again, some Muslims who have committed acts of terror aren't necessarily doing it in the name of their religion per se. They might say they are, but are they really? Isn't it sometimes more to do with perceptions of repression of an ethnic group which they identify with? For example, Michael Adebolajo, who killed Lee Rigby, said he did it because of Muslims being killed in other country. In Palestine, isn't it because the Muslim Palestinians see themselves as a repressed group? Then again, I do think that the Muslims who killed the staff at Charlie Hebdo did it in the name of their religion.

It would be interesting to see what Muslims say when asked the same question. I have read of some Muslims saying that ISIS are not Muslims.

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:46 am

Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:I think this is a very complex issue. First of all, you have to determine if someone is committing an act of terrorism in the name of their religion. I don't think that Dylann Roof killed Christians in the name of Christianity, and I don't think that McDowell planned to kill Jews because he's a Christian. The IRA may well be Catholics, but they didn't terrorise the British people in the name of their religion.

Then again, some Muslims who have committed acts of terror aren't necessarily doing it in the name of their religion per se. They might say they are, but are they really? Isn't it sometimes more to do with perceptions of repression of an ethnic group which they identify with? For example, Michael Adebolajo, who killed Lee Rigby, said he did it because of Muslims being killed in other country. In Palestine, isn't it because the Muslim Palestinians see themselves as a repressed group? Then again, I do think that the Muslims who killed the staff at Charlie Hebdo did it in the name of their religion.

It would be interesting to see what Muslims say when asked the same question. I have read of some Muslims saying that ISIS are not Muslims.

You are ignoring Martyrdom, as a reason for many of the Palestinians who commit terrorism.
That places it firmly into Islamic terrorism

Are you saying that those Muslims kill Israelis merely because they're Jews, and therefore they think God will approve?

I think it's a bit of grey area really. Islamic terrorism is certainly committed by Muslims, but that doesn't mean that every crime committed by a Muslim is motivated by their faith - or the lack of faith of their victims.

Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:56 am

Nearly 80 percent of Christians don’t think a terrorist acting in the name of Christianity is Christian. But more than half say terrorists acting in the name of Islam are Muslims.

Has there been a similar "study" done whereby Muslims are asked about the same issue? What percentage of Muslims don't think that a terrorist acting in the name of Islam is a Muslim, and think that terrorists acting in the name of Christianity are Christians?

The example of George Bush doesn't really tie in with the claim of the article, so he's presumably one of the 20%.

The article also seems to be addressing two different issues - crimes committed specifically in the name of religion, and crimes committed by people who happen to be Christians.

Last edited by Raggamuffin on Sun Mar 05, 2017 9:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:57 am

Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Are you saying that those Muslims kill Israelis merely because they're Jews, and therefore they think God will approve?

I think it's a bit of grey area really. Islamic terrorism is certainly committed by Muslims, but that doesn't mean that every crime committed by a Muslim is motivated by their faith - or the lack of faith of their victims.

Yes as many of these Palestinians do based off martyrdom, where they glorify dead terrorists are Martyrs.

That places Islam into this terrorism.

I mean one of the Palestinian terrorist groups is called Palestinian Islamic Jihad

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Islamic_Jihad_Movement_in_Palestine

OK, but if Palestinians had their own country and did not perceive that they were being treated unfairly, would some of them still be killing Jews just for being Jewish?

Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:03 pm

Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Has their been a similar "study" done whereby Muslims are asked about the same issue? What percentage of Muslims don't think that a terrorist acting in the name of Islam is a Muslim, and think that terrorists acting in the name of Christianity are Christians?

The example of George Bush doesn't really tie in with the claim of the article, so he's presumably one of the 20%.

The article also seems to be addressing two different issues - crimes committed specifically in the name of religion, and crimes committed by people who happen to be Christians.

How exactly?
How is the crime where people were murdered in a planning clinic not done in the name of religion?
Also White Supremacists in the US are a Far Right Christian ideology

As I said before, the article mentioned Dylann Roof. I don't think that he was motivated by his faith, or the faith of the people he killed, do you?

White supremacists are not necessarily motivated by their faith if they also happen to be Christians, they're motivated by racial issues.

Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:09 pm

Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

As I said before, the article mentioned Dylann Roof. I don't think that he was motivated by his faith, or the faith of the people he killed, do you?

White supremacists are not necessarily motivated by their faith if they also happen to be Christians, they're motivated by racial issues.

He was motivated by White Supremacist ideology, which in the US is based on a form of Christianity
That makes him a Christian terrorist.

I don't agree that he was motivated by religion at all. I think the connection you're making is too vague.

What about Peter Sutcliffe? He claimed that God told him to murder those women, but do you really think he was motivated by religion?

Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:20 pm

What about the IRA? Do you think they were motivated by religion, specifically the Catholic faith?

Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top