University bans phrases such as 'right-hand man' and 'gentleman’s agreement' in favour of gender-neutral terms

View previous topic View next topic Go down

University bans phrases such as 'right-hand man' and 'gentleman’s agreement' in favour of gender-neutral terms

Post by Thorin on Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:29 pm

A university has banned phrases such as “right-hand man” and “gentleman’s agreement” under its code of practice on inclusive language. Cardiff Metropolitan University’s guidance dictates that “gender-neutral” terms should be used where possible, adding that students should not allow their “cultural background” to affect their choice of words.

It advises that the terms “forefathers”, “mankind” and “sportsmanship” should be avoided, as part of efforts to “embrace cultural diversity” through language. The university has been accused of undermining free speech and “insulting” students and academics by attempting to dictate their choice of words.

Dr Joanna Williams, a lecturer in higher education the University of Kent and author of Academic Freedom in an Age of Conformity, said that advising that certain words are banned is “unnecessary”.

“It is a very authoritarian attempt to control the way people think and the language people use,” she said.
“The idea that in a university people need to be dictated to in this way is really insulting to students and academics, we should be able to cope with words. These words have evolved over a long period of time and they don’t have sexist associations.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/2017/03/02/university-bans-phrases-right-hand-man-gentlemans-agreement/

Thorin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: University bans phrases such as 'right-hand man' and 'gentleman’s agreement' in favour of gender-neutral terms

Post by Vicar of Dibley (vod) on Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:36 pm

Well isn't that just ridiculous . I do like the quote though its very true .
Vicar of Dibley (vod)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: University bans phrases such as 'right-hand man' and 'gentleman’s agreement' in favour of gender-neutral terms

Post by Thorin on Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:38 pm

Vicar of Dibley (vod) wrote:Well isn't that just ridiculous . I do like the quote though its very true .

+1

Completely agree Dibs
Thorin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:16 pm

Absolute fuckeries.

king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Lord Foul on Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:40 pm

“Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.”

There are those who's opinion I value, there are those who's opinion I neither value or scorn, and then there are those who's opinion I just ignore as insignificant...I can assure you the latter outnumber the first two combined by a whole order of magnitude

Difficile est meminisse officium paludes siccare , cum de nocte surrexeritis et asinus tuus alligators ....(It's hard to remember that the task is to drain the swamp, when you are up to your arse in alligators)
Lord Foul
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:12 am

It's totally stupid and just gives a bad name to political correctness, which is supposed to be about respect and referring to people by the names they prefer. And it gives ammo to people who long for the good ol' days when you could refer to minority groups by degrading slurs and nobody minded.

- Cody Canada & the Departed
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American People.

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:13 am

Just think, these people might be teaching our kids one day !
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Fred Moletrousers on Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:34 am

Vicar of Dibley (vod) wrote:Well isn't that just ridiculous . I do like the quote though its very true .

Very true, and if this nonsense is allowed to continue kids will soon be "advised" to shove a wish list up the chimney addressed to Person Christmas and Christians told they must now pray  to "God the person" and sing that wonderful old hymn "Oh God, the person of personkind...."

Anyway, everyone knows that when God made person...she was only joking.
Fred Moletrousers

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Vicar of Dibley (vod) on Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:05 am

Fred Moletrousers wrote:

Very true, and if this nonsense is allowed to continue kids will soon be "advised" to shove a wish list up the chimney addressed to Person Christmas and Christians told they must now pray  to "God the person" and sing that wonderful old hymn "Oh God, the person of personkind...."

Anyway, everyone knows that when God made person...she was only joking.

lol! made me laugh
Vicar of Dibley (vod)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr on Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:07 pm

People need to just ignore this madness.
HoratioTarr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:55 pm

Problem is H/T, If you ignore them they just get bolder and bolder,
Till it's too late to do anything about it !!
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Fri Mar 03, 2017 6:58 pm

Ben Reilly wrote:It's totally stupid and just gives a bad name to political correctness, which is supposed to be about respect and referring to people by the names they prefer. And it gives ammo to people who long for the good ol' days when you could refer to minority groups by degrading slurs and nobody minded.

Totally agree. alien

Syl

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jules on Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:08 am

Lol quibbling with long-established phrases and ways of speaking is not the way to tackle bigotry.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top