Lords vote to ban motorists from smoking in cars carrying children

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Lords vote to ban motorists from smoking in cars carrying children

Post by eddie on Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:37 pm

Smoking in cars in the presence of children could be outlawed after the House of Lords voted for a ban.

MPs will now be granted a free vote on the plan, set out in in a Labour amendment to the Children and Families Bill, which was backed by the Lords by 222 votes to 197.

It comes as a defeat for the Government, which had argued that education campaigns were effective in discouraging smoking around children.

But Labour's Shadow Health Secretary Andy Burnham said that the Government was “duty bound” to use any measure that might improve children's health.

The Government's decision to grant a free vote on the issue makes it likely that the ban will come into force, with the majority of Labour MPs likely to be supported by a number Coalition members. The ban would only affect England.

Health campaigners said that the ban could protect nearly half a million children who are exposed second-hand smoke in a car every week.

Dr Penny Woods, chief executive of the British Lung Foundation, said that the Government should “listen to the overwhelming support shown across the House of Lords for a ban and take the necessary steps to protect our children's health.”

The Lords also backed the introduction of standardised packaging for tobacco products in the UK. A review of the policy, by the leading paediatrician Sir Cyril Chantler is due to report in March, with the Government's final decision likely to be led by his findings.

A Department of Health spokesperson said: “Evaluation of [public health] campaigns shows they are increasing awareness of the risks of second-hand smoke as well changing attitudes and behaviours. We will consider the views expressed today alongside the evidence and respond in due course.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/lords-vote-to-ban-motorists-from-smoking-in-cars-carrying-children-9094483.html

About time! Not sure why some mothers or parents, still think this is ok with all the information there is out there!

_________________
“She conquered her demons and wore her scars like wings.”
~ Atticus
avatar
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

Posts : 30724
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 47
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lords vote to ban motorists from smoking in cars carrying children

Post by HoratioTarr on Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:21 pm

Filthy habit
avatar
HoratioTarr

Posts : 5638
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lords vote to ban motorists from smoking in cars carrying children

Post by Vicar of Dibley (vod) on Sun Feb 19, 2017 3:29 pm

Second hand smoke disgusting - when I'm walking behind someone smoking i hate it because they take a drag blow it out and then you breath it in . I always try to walk past lol .
Just can't bare the thought of breathing in someones smoke .
avatar
Vicar of Dibley (vod)

Posts : 436
Join date : 2017-01-20

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lords vote to ban motorists from smoking in cars carrying children

Post by Syl on Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:58 pm

Well first I would get rid of the house of Lords.....then I might concentrate on laying down the law of how to bring up your kids.

I agree that with all the information around today concerning passive smoking no one should be forcing anyone, especially kids to inhale their smoke.
Surely education is preferable to making things like this illegal though.

_________________
My body is in Manchester (sometimes) my mind's all over the place (always)
Happy now??
avatar
Syl

Posts : 10555
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lords vote to ban motorists from smoking in cars carrying children

Post by eddie on Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:09 pm

I think there is enough awareness aka education out there Syl. Everyone knows now, about passive smoking. If there are some that continue to do this, they're simply pig ignorant.

_________________
“She conquered her demons and wore her scars like wings.”
~ Atticus
avatar
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

Posts : 30724
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 47
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lords vote to ban motorists from smoking in cars carrying children

Post by Tommy Monk on Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:44 pm

Vicar of Dibley (vod) wrote:Second hand smoke disgusting - when I'm walking behind someone smoking i hate it because they take a drag blow it out and then you breath it in . I always  try to walk past lol .
Just can't bare the thought of breathing in someones smoke .


I hate having peoples diesel vehicles exhaust smoke being blown at me...

_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
avatar
Tommy Monk

Posts : 18101
Join date : 2014-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lords vote to ban motorists from smoking in cars carrying children

Post by Syl on Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:48 pm

eddie wrote:I think there is enough awareness aka education out there Syl. Everyone knows now, about passive smoking. If there are some that continue to do this, they're simply pig ignorant.

Unfortunately pig ignorant people can breed, and usually do...and as the saying goes you cant educate pork.

But neither am I into the nanny state, especially old duffers who don't live in the real world, laying down the law for people who they have nothing in common with.

_________________
My body is in Manchester (sometimes) my mind's all over the place (always)
Happy now??
avatar
Syl

Posts : 10555
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lords vote to ban motorists from smoking in cars carrying children

Post by Original Quill on Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:42 pm

The lungs are the worst drug delivery device ever selected.  Anyone who would fook with their lungs like that is crazy.

And I'm sorry for you lefty's out there, but that goes for marijuana too.  If anyone is serious about it being a medication, get it in pill form or inject it in your left testicle.  Polluting the air and your body with noxious gas is no answer.

_________________
"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

"...thought before action" ― Sheldon Wolin

"Work for America to fail whenever the other party is in power."
― Republican Senator Majority Leader Mitch McConnell

Original Quill

Posts : 18456
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 52
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lords vote to ban motorists from smoking in cars carrying children

Post by sassy on Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:30 pm

eddie wrote:
Smoking in cars in the presence of children could be outlawed after the House of Lords voted for a ban.

MPs will now be granted a free vote on the plan, set out in in a Labour amendment to the Children and Families Bill, which was backed by the Lords by 222 votes to 197.

It comes as a defeat for the Government, which had argued that education campaigns were effective in discouraging smoking around children.

But Labour's Shadow Health Secretary Andy Burnham said that the Government was “duty bound” to use any measure that might improve children's health.

The Government's decision to grant a free vote on the issue makes it likely that the ban will come into force, with the majority of Labour MPs likely to be supported by a number Coalition members. The ban would only affect England.

Health campaigners said that the ban could protect nearly half a million children who are exposed second-hand smoke in a car every week.

Dr Penny Woods, chief executive of the British Lung Foundation, said that the Government should “listen to the overwhelming support shown across the House of Lords for a ban and take the necessary steps to protect our children's health.”

The Lords also backed the introduction of standardised packaging for tobacco products in the UK. A review of the policy, by the leading paediatrician Sir Cyril Chantler is due to report in March, with the Government's final decision likely to be led by his findings.

A Department of Health spokesperson said: “Evaluation of [public health] campaigns shows they are increasing awareness of the risks of second-hand smoke as well changing attitudes and behaviours. We will consider the views expressed today alongside the evidence and respond in due course.”

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-families/health-news/lords-vote-to-ban-motorists-from-smoking-in-cars-carrying-children-9094483.html

About time! Not sure why some mothers or parents, still think this is ok with all the information there is out there!



Eds, your article is from 2014, it's been law since 1st October 2015

_________________
This planet is our home.  Our life and hers are interdependent - Doreen Valiente


The Left want to make life easier for as many people as possible, The Right want to make life easier for themselves and fuck everyone else.
avatar
sassy
Convicted Hex Offender

Posts : 17176
Join date : 2015-01-04
Age : 71

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lords vote to ban motorists from smoking in cars carrying children

Post by eddie on Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:35 pm



Oh well. It gave us a chance to moan. I actually still occasionally see people driving with children in the car though. im betting they're rarely caught.

_________________
“She conquered her demons and wore her scars like wings.”
~ Atticus
avatar
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

Posts : 30724
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 47
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Lords vote to ban motorists from smoking in cars carrying children

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Mon Feb 20, 2017 3:21 am



How about people throwing lit cigarettes out of car windows  ???

Down here, that disgustingly filthy habit (and quite dangerous during hot, dry Aussie summers..) has been illegal since 1944..


Originally, the offence was punishable by 15--20 years in jail (!) --  though apparently nobody was ever jailed under the original law.

Recently, after some serious bushfires over the past couple of decades, the law was upgraded here in NSW, and the sentence reduced to "up to 14 years"..  While some people have been charged and fined recently, the jail sentences reported in newspapers in a couple of incidents have only been measured in months --  not years..


As far as I'm concerned, anybody throwing anything out of car windows, while out on the road, should be facing jail time...          

_________________
It's not what you look at that matters, it's what you see.
Our life is frittered away by details. Simplify, simplify.
The mass of men lead lives of quite desperation.
Henry David Thoreau
avatar
WhoseYourWolfie

Posts : 3491
Join date : 2016-02-24
Age : 59
Location : Lake Macquarie, NSW, Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum