Five years in jail for men who 'emotionally bully' wives

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post by eddie on Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:44 pm

Bullies who emotionally abuse partners face up to five years in prison.

Under laws coming into force today, anyone who inflicts psychological cruelty on their other halves can be prosecuted – even if there is no direct physical harm.

For the first time, domestic abusers who stop short of lashing out at their victims will be targeted with a new offence where there is evidence of ‘coercive and controlling behaviour’.

This could include preventing a partner from seeing family or friends, keeping them short of money, controlling their social media accounts, spying on their communications or determining aspects of their everyday life, such as when they eat, sleep or even go to the toilet.

Prosecutors are determined to tackle the problem of perpetrators who trap their victims in a ‘living hell’ with repeated threats, humiliation and intimidation. Research has shown that 30 per cent of women – about five million – and 16 per cent of men, or 2.5million, experience domestic abuse during their lives.

Director of Public Prosecutions Alison Saunders said: ‘Controlling or coercive behaviour can limit victims’ basic human rights, such as their freedom of movement and their independence.

‘This behaviour can be incredibly harmful in an abusive relationship where one person holds more power than the other, even if on the face of it this behaviour might seem playful, innocuous or loving.

‘Victims can be frightened of the repercussions of not abiding by someone else’s rules. Often they fear that violence will be used against them, or suffer from extreme psychological and emotional abuse.

‘Being subjected to repeated humiliation, intimidation or subordination can be as harmful as physical abuse, with many victims stating that trauma from psychological abuse had a more lasting impact than physical abuse.’

Polly Neate, chief executive of Women’s Aid, said introducing the law was a ‘landmark moment’ in tackling domestic abuse. ‘Coercive control is at the heart of domestic abuse,’ she said.

‘Perpetrators will usually start abusing their victim by limiting her personal freedoms, monitoring her every move, and stripping away her control of her life; physical violence often comes later.

‘Women’s Aid has campaigned to have this recognised in law, and we are thrilled that this has now happened.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3376846/Five-years-jail-men-emotionally-bully-wives-New-law-target-bullies-control-partners-coercive-controlling-behaviour.html

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Five years in jail for men who 'emotionally bully' wives

Post by Lord Foul on Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:50 pm

I'll agree when I see the first woman get 5 years for this

There are those who's opinion I value, there are those who's opinion I neither value or scorn, and then there are those who's opinion I just ignore as insignificant...I can assure you the latter outnumber the first two combined by a whole order of magnitude

Difficile est meminisse officium paludes siccare , cum de nocte surrexeritis et asinus tuus alligators ....(It's hard to remember that the task is to drain the swamp, when you are up to your arse in alligators)
Lord Foul
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miffs2 on Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:56 pm

eddie wrote:

Bullies who emotionally abuse partners face up to five years in prison.

Under laws coming into force today, anyone who inflicts psychological cruelty on their other halves can be prosecuted – even if there is no direct physical harm.

For the first time, domestic abusers who stop short of lashing out at their victims will be targeted with a new offence where there is evidence of ‘coercive and controlling behaviour’.

This could include preventing a partner from seeing family or friends, keeping them short of money, controlling their social media accounts, spying on their communications or determining aspects of their everyday life, such as when they eat, sleep or even go to the toilet.

Prosecutors are determined to tackle the problem of perpetrators who trap their victims in a ‘living hell’ with repeated threats, humiliation and intimidation. Research has shown that 30 per cent of women – about five million – and 16 per cent of men, or 2.5million, experience domestic abuse during their lives.

Director of Public Prosecutions Alison Saunders said: ‘Controlling or coercive behaviour can limit victims’ basic human rights, such as their freedom of movement and their independence.

‘This behaviour can be incredibly harmful in an abusive relationship where one person holds more power than the other, even if on the face of it this behaviour might seem playful, innocuous or loving.

‘Victims can be frightened of the repercussions of not abiding by someone else’s rules. Often they fear that violence will be used against them, or suffer from extreme psychological and emotional abuse.

‘Being subjected to repeated humiliation, intimidation or subordination can be as harmful as physical abuse, with many victims stating that trauma from psychological abuse had a more lasting impact than physical abuse.’

Polly Neate, chief executive of Women’s Aid, said introducing the law was a ‘landmark moment’ in tackling domestic abuse. ‘Coercive control is at the heart of domestic abuse,’ she said.

‘Perpetrators will usually start abusing their victim by limiting her personal freedoms, monitoring her every move, and stripping away her control of her life; physical violence often comes later.

‘Women’s Aid has campaigned to have this recognised in law, and we are thrilled that this has now happened.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3376846/Five-years-jail-men-emotionally-bully-wives-New-law-target-bullies-control-partners-coercive-controlling-behaviour.html

What a pile of poo
They don't even get 5 years for nearly killing their partners
Miffs2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:09 pm

Lord Foul wrote:I'll agree when I see the first woman get 5 years for this

Seconded, it has to cut both ways on this issue of abuse.
No matter the sex of the victim, they are still victims of abuse.
Yet this is what the law does, as it does not state anything based on sex specific mate.
Only the headline misleadingly does off the new Bill
It states partner, not men specially, hence why the Mail is actually demeaning the male victims of abuse here, trying to create sexism off this, by inventing something not found in this bill. To be only exclusive against male emotional abusers. based off this within the title. It states men, to mislead, making people then think its only against male abusers.
Poor and immature reporting by the Mail here. Its trying to sell this story, based off a half truth.

Also this article is two years old?????

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:32 pm

Sorry, my fault - didn't check the date. Blame my brain, it simply does what it wants.

I agree that the same should be said about women, and I agree with miffs, this will never happen as judges are simply too lenient with sentencing IMO.

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:42 pm

eddie wrote:Sorry, my fault - didn't check the date. Blame my brain, it simply does what it wants.

I agree that the same should be said about women, and I agree with miffs, this will never happen as judges are simply too lenient with sentencing IMO.

No worries Eddie, was just intrigued, as to why the article

I agree with both you and Nems, over 5 years being too lenient, as they can scar people for life

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:47 pm

It would be hard to prove emotional bullying, many bullies save it for when they are alone with their partner.
I agree that it should work both ways, women can be just as bad as men when it comes to emotional mind games.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Thu Feb 09, 2017 8:48 pm

Lord Foul wrote:

Smile

Right on...

Most female perp's will get off with only a 'slap on the wrist'..

Even those few who do 'do time' will likely only serve 6-12 months,  not "five years".

I slso notice that this proposal is only discussing spousal abuse --  and not ALL types of 'domestic' abuse (e.g. abuses against children, parents, grandparents, siblings, et al..).

Henry David Thoreau
WhoseYourWolfie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miffs2 on Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:15 am

WhoseYourWolfie wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:

Smile

Right on...

Most female perp's will get off with only a 'slap on the wrist'..

Even those few who do 'do time' will likely only serve 6-12 months,  not "five years".

I slso notice that this proposal is only discussing spousal abuse --  and not ALL types of 'domestic' abuse  (e.g. abuses against children, parents, grandparents, siblings, et al..).

Good point. Some of the worst abuse is against parents
Miffs2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by magica on Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:36 am

This law could be abused for any wife to accuse her husband if they had a falling out or separation. I can't see how this could work tbh, can't prove it. I also agree woman should be should get the same law against them.

I can't see this holding water tbh.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Fri Feb 10, 2017 10:56 am

Also what one person may class as emotional abuse or bullying another may shrug off or retaliate.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by magica on Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:07 pm

Exactly Syl. Plus how many women will report their husband's, if he is truly a bully she would be too scared and what if he called her names in an argument, is that emotional abuse too. It's a fine line.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:49 pm

Why can't the wives just leave or something? It all sounds a bit OTT to me.

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ben Reilly on Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:53 pm

I've just been triggered pale

Cory Doctorow, Walkaway
Ben Reilly
Cowboy King. Dread Pirate of the Guadalupe. Enemy of the American People.

View user profile http://www.newsfixboard.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top