NSW New Preimer, asked why she is childless: political sexism?

Go down

NSW New Preimer, asked why she is childless: political sexism?

Post by veya_victaous on Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:15 am

AUSTRALIA’S first female Liberal(RW) Premier had barely been in the job an hour before she was asked to explain her childlessness.

Fronting the media for the first time after being appointed leader by her party this morning, Gladys Berejiklian was warned by a reporter that as an unmarried woman with no babies, she could face some sexism in the gig.

With more than a decade in public life and six years as a minister under her belt, Ms Berejiklian said she was prepared for all that came with life in the political spotlight.

But she probably didn’t expect the unique category of questions that only seem to strike women in positions of power to begin being fired so quickly.

When a member of the state parliament press pack pointed out that former prime minister Julia Gillard faced questions about her “marriage status and child status” and asked the new Premier if she was prepared the same, Ms Berejiklian fired back: “Sure, ask me one”.

“The obvious question is do you think this is a disadvantage politically because people have kids and they have families and people identify with that,” the reporter said.

Is that really the obvious question?

When former Premier Mike Baird last year announced policies to help empower women who were victims or at risk of domestic violence, it didn’t seem obvious to the media to question his authority on the issue because he wasn’t a woman.

There was little concern for members of the public who didn’t have children or who weren’t married and might struggle to identify with the retiring leader

When Malcolm Turnbull made it his first order of business as Prime Minister to announce a major investment in addressing violence against women across Australia he was praised rather than questioned over his lack of experience in being female.

And I’m certain Bob Carr was not similarly questioned over his lack of offspring moments after he took the same job as Ms Berejiklian in 1995.

These questions and the judgment that comes with them only seem obvious when it’s a woman in the job — just ask our “deliberately barren” first female PM.

The fact we consider these questions says that a certain section of Australians — including certain members of the media who perpetuate these sexist views — expect women to be able to do it all and have it all to demand their respect.

It says although we want to support women in positions of power and want to see them rise through the ranks, we still want them to fit the feminine, maternal stereotype they’ve worked to break free from.

NSW Opposition Leader Luke Foley seems to understand the advantage he now has over his political opponent who is set to suffer this criticism that he himself is immune from. During his own press conference on Monday he managed to twice drop the fact that he has three children himself.

Plenty of women at the top of their game have sacrificed relationships and family plans in order to get where they are, while for others it wasn’t even an issue. Whatever the reason for their “marriage and child status” shouldn’t matter — they don’t need to have one.

Ms Berejiklian tackled her first sexist question perfectly: “Take me as you see me.”

“Not all of us can plan how our life turns out. I am a very happy person. If you asked me 20 years ago would my life look like this? It probably wouldn’t be how it looks like. But I am grateful for the opportunities I have had,” she said.

“I also want to say again, not because I have to but because I want to, the closest people in my life are my family. I am not going to judge anybody on their personal circumstances. I am here to govern.”

http://www.news.com.au/finance/work/leaders/no-need-to-question-new-premier-gladys-berejiklians-child-status/news-story/46bb09d47573922d7b313effd5086912

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: NSW New Preimer, asked why she is childless: political sexism?

Post by veya_victaous on Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:22 am

I think it is a bit sexist.
a man generally wont be asked this even if he doesn't have kids.

I think Gladys handled it excellently. and I have to admit the NSW Liberals are one of the most sensible RW groups in Australia.

veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:38 am

what is the New NSW RW premiers positions of some hot button topics?

It is not a state issue, but Ms Berejiklian was on the record in 2015 supporting marriage equality, a position at odds with her Armenian Orthodox Church.

In Parliament last year, she described Mardi Gras founders the 78ers as "heroes".

She also seems likely to back Mr Baird's compassionate stance on refugees.

In 2015, the NSW Government signed up to resettle about 6,000 Syrian and Iraqi refugees over two years, and Ms Berejiklian has publicly supported the proactive approach.

Ms Berejiklian's Armenian grandparents were orphaned during the death marches and attacks under the Ottoman Empire in 1915.

So she is Pro gay marriage, Pro refugee and also Pro Environment.
I have to say she seems to be a good RW leader. Baird who she replaces was not actually bad either.
After years in the political wilderness, the NSW liberals re-emerged as a Socially Left Right wing party. and have not been unelected since. To be honest I liked Baird better than Foley leader of the NSW Labour party, Foley seems to be a 'populous leader' and not really have a strong stance on many issues.

veya_victaous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:17 am

Smile

She is from Bairds (and the Turnbulls' too probably..) centre-right "moderates" faction...

But like most of them, she is largely "owned" by the property_development and coal mining lobbies..

Berejokelian has also earned much of her reputation as a State Treasurer with a healthy budget surplus, by continuing their policy of flogging off a lot of public assets.
What happens when they eventually run out of things to sell ?        

Before that, she pretty well showed her incompetence as transport minister, by screwing over the public transport services up here in the Lower Hunter/Newcastle region, while at the same time promising 2.3 kms of "light rail" -- that starts in nowhere, goes to nowhere, and doesn't actually do anything for commuting in Newie (and, they haven't even started to build it yet..).    

Have to wonder if a likely loss at the next State election in 2019, had a part in Baird's decision to step down early..       cyclops

Henry David Thoreau
WhoseYourWolfie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Mon Jan 23, 2017 10:05 pm

I'm not really getting the feeling that they will lose. A lot of people are still feeling they are better than Carr and Co.

the problem is Foley is not inspirational at all. If Labour can get a better leader than they are in with a chance.

Agree she was not good in the transport portfolio over seeing the complete waste of time and more expensive, less efficient Opal Ticketing system Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

veya_victaous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:04 pm

I'm not clued up on the intricacies of your politics but answering from a purely human angle...that is very sexist! Not just sexist but downright insulting too.

King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Sun Jan 29, 2017 11:14 pm

veya_victaous wrote:I'm not really getting the feeling that they will lose. A lot of people are still feeling they are better than Carr and Co.

the problem is Foley is not inspirational at all. If Labour can get a better leader than they are in with a chance.

Agree she was not good in the transport portfolio over seeing the complete waste of time and more expensive, less efficient Opal Ticketing system  Evil or Very Mad  Evil or Very Mad

Idea

The big weak spot/vulnerability for the NSW coalition is out in the bush...

The Nationals rep's have become increasingly Sydney-centric over the last three decades, continually ignoring their constituents..

Shooters and Fishers, One Nation, and even 'Country Labor' have been reducing the Nat's margins over the last couple of elections.

The Orange  by-election is only the start..

Some well timed collusion between Laber and Greens on the left, and S/F and One Nation, and they could wipe out the Nationals; (who will then only have themselves to blame, for their eventual demise..).

And the Sydney based Lib's can't rule without their junior partners..         Arrow

Henry David Thoreau
WhoseYourWolfie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Eilzel on Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:34 am

Australia seems to have a pretty high turnover of premiers :O

And yeah, very sexist.

"People who fear demons see demons everywhere"

Eilzel
Speaker of the House

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Mon Jan 30, 2017 6:37 am

that's Prime Ministers.
Premiers are each state so there is 6 of them

NSW does though and probably drives the the turn over in PMs too.
Cause we don't put up with shit
Political parties know that so they change whenever the leader fails

veya_victaous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down