Would you allow pyjama wearing shoppers onto your premises?

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

Would you allow pyjama wearing shoppers onto your premises?

Post by Syl on Mon Jan 09, 2017 12:37 pm

First topic message reminder :

Customers complained last week when 2 women were seen doing their shopping in Tesco dressed in pj's and dressing gowns.
If you had a business would you allow people in dressed in their nightwear? or would you boycott a shop that allowed customers in dressed like this?
I think I would if it was a frequent sight....it's unhygienic and slothful.

http://www.itv.com/news/granada/2017-01-05/customers-rant-at-disgusting-tesco-shoppers-in-pjs/

"A photo of two women shopping in their pyjamas in Salford caused a stir after a fellow customer complained to Tesco branding it "bloody disgusting".
The image was posted on the supermarket’s Facebook page and shows the ladies wearing what appears to be dressing gowns and pyjamas strolling down one of the snack aisles at around 7pm on Tuesday evening.
Shopping basket in hand, the pair seem unconcerned by their own casual appearance.
The irritated customer snapped the women on his phone and sent it to Tesco asking them to ban people from doing their shop in their nightwear, saying it’s becoming a regular occurrence."

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Would you allow pyjama wearing shoppers onto your premises?

Post by Raggamuffin on Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:57 pm

Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

There's no suggestion that they're not English though.

The mother certainly would not be would she?
Even if the daughter was English, she is certainly from another ethnic group is she not?
Remember they were speaking in another language

Why would the mother not be English?

They weren't necessarily speaking in the language of another country. "Travellers" apparently use some different words so that others can't understand them. If they were from another country, I think she would have said so.

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:59 pm

Syl wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Really? What age do you live in?
The 1950's?
He may have just come home from work all day and be knackered.
So now you are unjustly castigating the husband too.
Do you expect husbands to do everything?
Its the 21st century where its equality, where both parents do these things.
Maybe, he said the best thing for her to do, was get some fresh air for her hangover
That is being a good husband

There is me praising you as a mother and I do this based off many views I have come to know about you and on one picture, you have judged and dreamt up the biggest load of shit about this mother, based on nothing more than what she wore

Get a grip of yourself and see how poorly you are being syl

You have built a bigger scenario around this woman and her lifestyle than I have.....and I was joking half the time. Razz

Look....the simple facts are the woman and her mother SAY they were shopping for a babies milk, others say they wandered round the precinct visiting various shops..... so the milk story is probably made up.
Also they are  clutching at straws (at best) lying through their teeth (probably) when they say have been targeted because of their language.....that's just  another red herring.
If they are so confident that how they look and act is acceptable why make excuses?

You think it's acceptable to wander round outside in nightclothes.....I don't.
You say you would go out in pj's....talks cheap, if you would why don't you?

Bottom line is we don't agree on this subject....but it's still been a lively debate. x

1) No, that was you. I am showing that for all the poor unfounded based reasons you offer up, I can offer up sensible ones and I do not see anything funny about your poor attitude here

2) What others? There is one picture and the person who took this, the rest is all hearsay, including the versions given by both sides.

3) You dont think its acceptable. Some people don;t think women should have their shoulders or arms exposed. Its the same methodology based on how people should dress. Its antiquated snobbery

Bottom line, I am appalled at your stance and how poorly you can rip the sit out of people based on one photo, without knowing them from Adam

Goodnight

x

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:02 pm

Couldn't they at least have put coats on over their pyjamas?

Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:04 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Thorin wrote:

The mother certainly would not be would she?
Even if the daughter was English, she is certainly from another ethnic group is she not?
Remember they were speaking in another language

They weren't necessarily speaking in the language of another country. "Travellers" apparently use some different words so that others can't understand them. If they were from another country, I think she would have said so.

Yes the mother could be an English Gypsy, which would still make it racist
They would be speaking Romani.
That is a different language
Not different words, that would be racist to say Rags, you do realise, as you are slating their English now, based on their accents.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:12 pm

Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

Not different words, that would be racist to say Rags, you do realise, as you are slating their English now, based on their accents.

It wouldn't make it racist if she's an "English Gypsy". You can say that "gypsies" are an ethnic group, but that doesn't make them a race. They wouldn't necessarily be speaking Romani at all.

It's not racist to say they might have used different words. Many people use different dialects, and it's absurd to say it's racist to point that out. They might have been speaking "Shelta", or they might just have a different dialect to the people in Salford.

Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:14 pm

Thorin wrote:
Syl wrote:

You have built a bigger scenario around this woman and her lifestyle than I have.....and I was joking half the time. Razz

Look....the simple facts are the woman and her mother SAY they were shopping for a babies milk, others say they wandered round the precinct visiting various shops..... so the milk story is probably made up.
Also they are  clutching at straws (at best) lying through their teeth (probably) when they say have been targeted because of their language.....that's just  another red herring.
If they are so confident that how they look and act is acceptable why make excuses?

You think it's acceptable to wander round outside in nightclothes.....I don't.
You say you would go out in pj's....talks cheap, if you would why don't you?

Bottom line is we don't agree on this subject....but it's still been a lively debate. x

1) No, that was you. I am showing that for all the poor unfounded based reasons you offer up, I can offer up sensible ones and I do not see anything funny about your poor attitude here

2) What others? There is one picture and the person who took this, the rest is all hearsay, including the versions given by both sides.

3) You dont think its acceptable. Some people don;t think women should have their shoulders or arms exposed. Its the same methodology based on how people should dress. Its antiquated snobbery

Bottom line, I am appalled at your stance and how poorly you can rip the sit out of people based on one photo, without knowing them from Adam

Goodnight

x

I haven't gone yet. Laughing
It's not snobbery Thor, it's standards.

It is funny really to argue for 2 days over a couple of women who cant be arsed to get dressed before they go out, so for your perseverance in sticking to your guns (and humouring me even though you are deadly serious) I am giving you a 'Thanks'. Cool

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:16 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Thorin wrote:

It wouldn't make it racist if she's an "English Gypsy". You can say that "gypsies" are an ethnic group, but that doesn't make them a race. They wouldn't necessarily be speaking Romani at all.

It's not racist to say they might have used different words. Many people use different dialects, and it's absurd to say it's racist to point that out. They might have been speaking "Shelta", or they might just have a different dialect to the people in Salford.  

So you are saying you cannot be racist towards English people who's ethnicity is Irish? Italian? Gypsy? Black? Asian?

Do you know what Hitler did to the Gypsies?

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/discrimination/protected-characteristics/gypsies-and-travellers-race-discrimination/

Dialects is different from a different language

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:23 pm

Syl wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Goodnight

x

I haven't gone yet. Laughing
It's not snobbery Thor, it's standards.

It is funny really to argue for 2 days over a couple of women who cant be arsed to get dressed before they go out, so for your perseverance in sticking to your guns (and humouring me even though you are deadly serious) I am giving you a 'Thanks'. Cool

I am happy to argue syl with you and still respect you loads, I just don't think your views are in anyway funny here. Hence why I will speak openly to you, if I think you are being poor and wrong
I feel strongly about some things. 
I am very serious on some debates, as I am passionate about things I see as very wrong

Its is snobbery

snob

a person with an exaggerated respect for high social position or wealth who seeks to associate with social superiors and looks down on those regarded as socially inferior.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:27 pm

Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

So you are saying you cannot be racist towards English people who's ethnicity is Irish? Italian? Gypsy? Black? Asian?

Do you know what Hitler did to the Gypsies?

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/discrimination/protected-characteristics/gypsies-and-travellers-race-discrimination/

Dialects is different from a different language

All she said was that she used a different language to others, which could easily mean a different dialect. If she was speaking a foreign language, she would have said so IMO. If someone is Irish or Italian, they're not English. You're the one assuming they're not English, and you're the one who brought up accents and claimed I was slating their English by merely saying they could have used different words to the local people.

What Hitler did is neither here nor there.

Did you google "Shelta" yet?

Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:34 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
All she said was that she used a different language to others, which could easily mean a different dialect. If she was speaking a foreign language, she would have said so IMO. If someone is Irish or Italian, they're not English. You're the one assuming they're not English, and you're the one who brought up accents and claimed I was slating their English by merely saying they could have used different words to the local people.

What Hitler did is neither here nor there.

Did you google "Shelta" yet?

Dialect is made up of the same language
She said different language, not dialiect
She did say different language

"Me and my mum were chatting and our language is different from other people and they probably realised that and decided to target us because of it."

You are assuming its not racist if they were English which is wrong.
I already said they could be English Gypsies, which as seen is racist if that was the reason
The reason I say foreign, is we have foreign gypsies here also and based on different language, would point to them being not English. The evidence is stacked against you, all of which does not matter here even if they were English. It would still be racist towards Gysies

What’s meant by race?

The Equality Act says it’s only unlawful discrimination if you’re treated unfairly because of certain reasons. These reasons are called protected characteristics. Race is one of the protected characteristics under the Equality Act.

It’s race discrimination if you’re treated unfairly because of one of the following things:

colour
nationality
ethnic origin
national origin.
Some Gypsies and Travellers are protected against discrimination on the basis of their ethnic origins.

Are all Gypsies and Travellers protected against race discrimination?

The courts have said that Romany Gypsies and Irish Travellers are protected against race discrimination because they’re ethnic groups under the Equality Act.

If you’ve moved into settled accommodation

If you’re a Romany Gypsy or Irish Traveller, you’re still protected against discrimination even if you’ve moved into settled accommodation.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:40 pm

It also says that not all travellers are protected under the discrimination laws. They could be "new age travellers", they could live on a boat, or they could travel around with a fair.

Travellers are not a race. Some are protected on the grounds of ethnic origin, but ethnic groups can include other groups, which are shown on the same link and which you conveniently ignored.

Also, not all travellers actually travel - they live in houses.

Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:42 pm

Anyway, how would this man know they were travellers? It's clearly nonsense to say that he was racist and that he attacked their culture.

As they're anonymous, they could say anything and claim to be anything.

Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:44 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:It also says that not all travellers are protected under the discrimination laws. They could be "new age travellers", they could live on a boat, or they could travel around with a fair.

Travellers are not a race. Some are protected on the grounds of ethnic origin, but ethnic groups can include other groups, which are shown on the same link and which you conveniently ignored.

Also, not all travellers actually travel - they live in houses.

Now you are clutching at straws

They would have to be foreign, in speaking a different language even if a new age traveller.

Gypsies are classed as an ethnic group, which would either refer to them being gypsies or foreign, based on the telling factor
The different language

If you’re a Romany Gypsy or Irish Traveller, you’re still protected against discrimination even if you’ve moved into settled accommodation.

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:47 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Anyway, how would this man know they were travellers? It's clearly nonsense to say that he was racist and that he attacked their culture.

Its not nonsense at all.
There is a very big stigma against gypsies in this country.
I did say already all we have is a picture and views made by both sides
Though, one point stands out to show its unlikely the mother was lying
She admitted to being hungover, when this was not even known

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:53 pm

Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:Anyway, how would this man know they were travellers? It's clearly nonsense to say that he was racist and that he attacked their culture.

Its not nonsense at all.

How on earth would he know they were "gypsies"? Anyway, she didn't say they were gypsies, she said they were "travellers", which could mean a number of things,

Look, he saw two women who didn't bother to get dressed, he took a photo and he made a complaint. That's all there is to it. All this guff about racism is just hot air. I don't blame them for being miffed, but they should have just been miffed that he took a photo of them and put it on Facebook.

Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:56 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Its not nonsense at all.

How on earth would he know they were "gypsies"? Anyway, she didn't say they were gypsies, she said they were "travellers", which could mean a number of things,

Look, he saw two women who didn't bother to get dressed, he took a photo and he made a complaint. That's all there is to it. All this guff about racism is just hot air. I don't blame them for being miffed, but they should have just been miffed that he took a photo of them and put it on Facebook.

He may not have known they were gypsy and just saw them as foreign, by the language and did not like them
never claimed he knew they were gypsies, but the language is he key factor here that could have cause racism. 

No all you know is he took a photo, that is it and one without out their conscent

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:03 pm

Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

He may not have known they were gypsy and just saw them as foreign, by the language and did not like them
never claimed he knew they were gypsies, but the language is he key factor here that could have cause racism. 

No all you know is he took a photo, that is it and one without out their conscent

There's no indication that he even heard them speak - they just assumed he did, and made their daft claim about "racism". Anyway, someone could speak a different language and not be a different race.

I also know that he made a complaint, as I said, and I know on what grounds he made the complaint, so I know more than you claim I do. It's in the link.

Are you suggesting that Tesco in Cardiff banned people from wearing nightwear because they're "racist"?

Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:07 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Thorin wrote:

There's no indication that he even heard them speak - they just assumed he did, and made their daft claim about "racism". Anyway, someone could speak a different language and not be a different race.

I also know that he made a complaint, as I said, and I know on what grounds he made the complaint, so I know more than you claim I do. It's in the link.

Are you suggesting that Tesco in Cardiff banned people from wearing nightwear because they're "racist"?

Well the picture clearly shows he was in ear shot distance from them

So you cannot rule out that he did hear them can you Rags

You are just assuming that is the motive for his complaint, based on his views

Again you do not know, as you do not know him

As to Tesco banning people, I have no idea, who they banned

They certainly discriminated against those they banned

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:16 pm

Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

I think it's reasonable to assume what his motive for the complaint is as he quite clearly spelt it out. You would have to prove that it was based on anything else.

I posted a link earlier re the Tesco in Cardiff.

Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:20 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Thorin wrote:

I think it's reasonable to assume what his motive for the complaint is as he quite clearly spelt it out. You would have to prove that it was based on anything else.

But you cannot rule out racism, which is the point
Does not matter what you can assume, but prove
It would matter if they took him to court
And they are two against his one on words

What does it matter whether you posted a link earlier
Its still discriminating against people over what they are wearing.

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:28 pm

Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

What could they take him to court for? Complaining that they were wearing pyjamas?

So Tesco discriminated against people who were wearing pyjamas. That's not against the law.

Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:33 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Thorin wrote:

What could they take him to court for? Complaining that they were wearing pyjamas?

So Tesco discriminated against people who were wearing pyjamas. That's not against the law.

They certainly could do on the taking of the photograph in a civil court

He did so without their consent and could even be deemed perverted

Racism could then also be brought up within the civil case

No, just one Tesco made it a ban and other shops do the same

Its still discriminating against what people wear

Never claimed it was against the law, but in time it rightly will be

As this was not a security risk or rudely offensive

They were fully clothed

This was people being utter snobs, looking down at how some people dress, claiming to be offended over absolutely nothing. As what harm were they doing?

Nothing

But the whingers got their way.
On that occasion in the Welsh Tesco's, it was snobbery that won, and freedom of expression was censured.

Not something to cheer about, in a liberal society, but creeping towards totalitarianism

Night, night

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:40 pm

Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

They were fully clothed

This was people being utter snobs, looking down at how some people dress, claiming to be offended over absolutely nothing. As what harm were they doing?
Nothing
But the whinges got their way.
On that occasion in the Welsh Tesco's, it was snobbery that won, and freedom of expression was censured.

Not something to cheer about, in a liberal society, but creeping towards totalitarianism

Night, night

The racism angle would get them nowhere. He didn't say that he objected to them because of their "race", and he didn't say anything derogatory about their "race".

I doubt they would get anywhere with the taking of the photo issue either as there's no law against that. They can't even be identified from the photo.

Many organisations discriminate based on what people wear. Some bars ban people who are wearing trainers, for example. If you don't like the dress code, go somewhere else or wear something appropriate.

Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Tue Jan 10, 2017 9:45 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Thorin wrote:

They were fully clothed

Nothing
But the whinges got their way.

Night, night

The racism angle would get them nowhere. He didn't say that he objected to them because of their "race", and he didn't say anything derogatory about their "race".

I doubt they would get anywhere with the taking of the photo issue either as there's no law against that. They can't even be identified from the photo.

Many organisations discriminate based on what people wear. Some bars ban people who are wearing trainers, for example. If you don't like the dress code, go somewhere else or wear something appropriate.

They were not in a bar, not that it matters, its still discriminating, if you allow people dressed in any other fashion, as retail stores do

You are assuming based only what he said
They could prove otherwise and they certainly have a civil case, if they so wished to take one up

It is not illegal to take photographs or video footage in public places unless it is for criminal or terrorist purposes.
There will be places where you have access as a member of the public, but will have to ask permission or may be prevented altogether. These could include stately homes, museums, churches, shopping malls, railway stations and council / government buildings. You need to check the situation out on a case by case basis.
The taking of photographs of an individual without their consent is a civil matter. Taking a photo of a person where they can expect privacy (inside their home or garden) is likely to be a breach of privacy laws. The other issue to consider is what you plan to do with the photograph afterwards. If the picture is of an individual, perhaps as a portrait or character study, and you intend to publish it in any way (on the internet, in a book or at a gallery), it would be appropriate and may avoid unnecessary complications if you ask that person for permission, many media organisations are international and will not accept an identifiable photograph of a person without a signed release. If the photo could be seen as defamatory in some way then you would leave yourself open to civil proceedings.

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q717.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by HoratioTarr on Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:04 pm

veya_victaous wrote:@eilzel
LF and yourself should feel free to wear bikinis whenever you want to geek

where has placing demands on others clothing already lead? be it the Burka or Victorian era England. it is an assault on personal freedoms.

fashion changes we don't wear togas any more, even modern trousers where considered a disgrace when they first appeared, in good company you should be in pantaloons.

I don't fancy yours much!

HoratioTarr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Raggamuffin on Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:09 pm

Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:

They were not in a bar, not that it matters, its still discriminating, if you allow people dressed in any other fashion, as retail stores do

They could prove otherwise and they certainly have a civil case, if they so wished to take one up

It is not illegal to take photographs or video footage in public places unless it is for criminal or terrorist purposes.
There will be places where you have access as a member of the public, but will have to ask permission or may be prevented altogether. These could include stately homes, museums, churches, shopping malls, railway stations and council / government buildings. You need to check the situation out on a case by case basis.
The taking of photographs of an individual without their consent is a civil matter. Taking a photo of a person where they can expect privacy (inside their home or garden) is likely to be a breach of privacy laws. The other issue to consider is what you plan to do with the photograph afterwards. If the picture is of an individual, perhaps as a portrait or character study, and you intend to publish it in any way (on the internet, in a book or at a gallery), it would be appropriate and may avoid unnecessary complications if you ask that person for permission, many media organisations are international and will not accept an identifiable photograph of a person without a signed release. If the photo could be seen as defamatory in some way then you would leave yourself open to civil proceedings.

It doesn't matter that they weren't in a bar. They were on private premises, and companies can have a dress code if they want to.

They could certainly not prove otherwise. He said nothing to indicate that their "race" played a part, and a court would merely assume that his complaint was based on the way they were dressed.

You've just shown that they would get nowhere re the taking of the photo. They were not at home or in their garden, and they are not identifiable anyway.

Case dismissed!

Raggamuffin

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:01 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:@eilzel
LF and yourself should feel free to wear bikinis whenever you want to geek

where has placing demands on others clothing already lead? be it the Burka or Victorian era England. it is an assault on personal freedoms.

fashion changes we don't wear togas any more, even modern trousers where considered a disgrace when they first appeared, in good company you should be in pantaloons.

I don't fancy yours much!

I'd look much better than that in a Bikini HT Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz Razz

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:09 am

Raggamuffin wrote:
Thorin wrote:

It doesn't matter that they weren't in a bar. They were on private premises, and companies can have a dress code if they want to.

They could certainly not prove otherwise. He said nothing to indicate that their "race" played a part, and a court would merely assume that his complaint was based on the way they were dressed.

You've just shown that they would get nowhere re the taking of the photo. They were not at home or in their garden, and they are not identifiable anyway.

Case dismissed!

Again you fail to understand discrimination

Tesco's does not have a dress code policy

In one store they introduced one that discriminated not on any decency laws or security

They simply discriminated based on one particular item of clothing based on peer pressure from some snobs

You were not there, so how do you know what he said?

You don't know anything and are making false assumptions.

If they obtain witnesses from the store to back up their story, then they have a case on top of them also if they were then recognized by people. It was splashed all over the media, so they definitely would have a civil case over the person who splashed this all over the social media by taking their photo. You do not need the front of the photo to recognize people by their hair, body, clothes etc. The store would have cctv and could have staff now recognize them also, because of the media attention, pointing fingers at them, all because he published their photo. All it takes is a couple of people to recognize them or even claim it is them, to create harm and undue stress, so you are in fact talking gibberish.

So I suggest you go to law school, as its not case closed, when anyone can bring a civil action on just about anything. So they certainly can bring a civil action and the above evidence proves they can, when their photo was taken without their permission.

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4