FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by Guest on Fri Jan 06, 2017 11:56 pm

First topic message reminder :



https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqTyOCSXO9Q

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down


Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by eddie on Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:40 pm

Rolling Eyes it's a good job I like and respect you rags.

_________________
“I’m writing to reach you now but...
I might never reach you,
Only want to teach you...about you”.

~ Travis
avatar
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 36027
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 48
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by Raggamuffin on Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:51 pm

But look, this guy is saying that some people are naturally chickens, and that others aren't - they're supposed to be eagles, they just think they're chickens. How does one know if one is really a chicken or if one is supposed to be an eagle?

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 31301
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by veya_victaous on Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:00 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:But look, this guy is saying that some people are naturally chickens, and that others aren't - they're supposed to be eagles, they just think they're chickens. How does one know if one is really a chicken or if one is supposed to be an eagle?

success?
you only know you're really an eagle when you start to eat the chickens Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing


But i think a lot of these downplay how huge a factor LUCK is. Wink
It is easier to better yourself when things are going your way,
harder when the 'universe' conspires against you

_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
avatar
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 18673
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 35
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:49 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
eddie wrote:I think you're getting confused with the message Syl and Vic.
Simply put, it's a way of saying "don't ever not try to better yourself" and you can never stop bettering yourself.
It's not about where you work or what you do, it's about being happy and content with where you are and if you're not, and you are doing nothing about it, you're acting fearful (chicken!).

Most people are terrified of taking chances. They're scared of change. If you don't continuously keep changing and growing then you're not "moving" and if you're not moving then you're not going anywhere.

The message was flawed by comparing chickens and eagles really.

If someone is constantly scared of taking chances they won't have a very happy time if they try to force themselves to do it. It's best to realise your limitations rather than try to go against your nature. An eagle isn't being brave by flying, and a chicken isn't being afraid by not flying. I always think it's unfair on chickens to imply that they're scared.


The message was not flawed
You just proved what a defeatist you are.
Who said its a happy time trying to combat your own demons?
To say its best to realise your own limitations means you will never even reach the starting point, because you are setting yourself up to fail

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:53 pm

Lord Foul wrote:
Thorin wrote:


But the chicken pointed out to the eagle this, of which he would normally have become. It means, we make our own destiny and follow paths others choose for us and hardly ever choose for ourselves. There is no worker no matter how menial, that does not want to better their life. Its the psychology of life. We have goals that we look to obtain or reach. Not everyone is born to soar and I think it has more to do with how they are never encouraged to find that path. They settle for the easy path. Not the one that is real pain and hardship. One that takes courage. One that is full of risks.

To quote Einstein.....

"ve cant all be first violiners in der orchestra
some of us have to push der vind through der trombone"


Well maybe the first step is to realise not to pluck the trombone and blow the violin

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:56 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
eddie wrote:Okay forget the bloody birds.

We are here to explore every single nook and cranny of things and people that are within us, around us and among us. To simply say "I'm a person who doesn't like change or trying things but that's okay" is not okay! Those people tell themselves it's okay because it allows them a pass on life.
Television is a huge factor in the general mental laziness of most people. It keeps you programmed and contented and dumbed down (mostly).  
So many people die without ever saying "I did everything that I wanted to do"....and they don't even have to big huge things either.

The video is spot on: we all sit in our comfort zone and we rarely step outside of it. How much richer could our lives be if we took more chances and aimed higher?

If they don't like change or trying things, they are doing what they want, and it is OK.


They should sign that statement up for the "never quit smoking club"
Sometimes doing what you want effects others.
When are you going to learn life is not just about your selfish self Rags?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 07, 2017 9:57 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
eddie wrote:I think you are seriously underestimating the amount of people that would love to change something about their life!

Am I?  The trouble is that people think they want to change things, but when they do, they realise they were OK before. It's a dilemma really. The main problem is that a lot of people are indecisive - they can't make up their minds one way or another.

What sort of changes are we talking about anyway?


So how was the smoker okay before and then continued to and ending up with COPD?
The point is most people listen to people like you and end up being failures, because they listen to negativity and not positive views, when they can achieve so much with just trying.
The main problem is people are afraid to try.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:22 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:But look, this guy is saying that some people are naturally chickens, and that others aren't - they're supposed to be eagles, they just think they're chickens. How does one know if one is really a chicken or if one is supposed to be an eagle?


That is not what he is saying at all.
He is saying we allow ourselves to become chickens, whilst others open up their wings and sore above like eagles. None of us our chickens, when we first learn to crawl and then walk. We forget how we first have to learn to fall, before we even learn how to stand tall. Those who are chicken for example, never truly embrace love. They already fear rejection. They are thus the cause of their own unhappiness.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by Raggamuffin on Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:26 pm

Those who need others to inspire them and tell them how to live are the weak ones ...

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 31301
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:30 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:Those who need others to inspire them and tell them how to live are the weak ones ...


So just about every religious person then?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by Raggamuffin on Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:33 pm

I don't know why that man is so critical of chickens anyway. Chickens aren't inferior to eagles, which is what he's implying. In addition to that, a chicken can't become an eagle, so it's all nonsense anyway.

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 31301
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:37 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I don't know what that man is so critical of chickens anyway. Chickens aren't inferior to eagles, which is what he's implying. In addition to that, a chicken can't become an eagle, so it's all nonsense anyway.


Chickens are inferior to eagles based on the food chain.
Its being used to make a point and not literally about whether chickens are bad or poor creatures
Maybe you need to understand the reasoning before firstly and wrongly understanding the meaning about how to inspire others. Nobody is saying you have to fly. If you wish to remain as you are, then you are welcome to this.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by Raggamuffin on Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:41 pm

I see you've failed to change for the better Didge. Maybe you need some more inspiration.

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 31301
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:41 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:I see you've failed to change for the better Didge. Maybe you need some more inspiration.


ad hominem

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by Raggamuffin on Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:43 pm

Thorin wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:I see you've failed to change for the better Didge. Maybe you need some more inspiration.


ad hominem

Like this?

"When are you going to learn life is not just about your selfish self Rags?"

Away with you and your nasty arrogance.

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 31301
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by Guest on Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:46 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
Thorin wrote:


ad hominem

Like this?

"When are you going to learn life is not just about your selfish self Rags?"

Away with you and your nasty arrogance.


ad hominem

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by Syl on Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:24 am

eddie wrote:I think you're getting confused with the message Syl and Vic.
Simply put, it's a way of saying "don't ever not try to better yourself" and you can never stop bettering yourself.
It's not about where you work or what you do, it's about being happy and content with where you are and if you're not, and you are doing nothing about it, you're acting fearful (chicken!).

Most people are terrified of taking chances. They're scared of change. If you don't continuously keep changing and growing then you're not "moving" and if you're not moving then you're not going anywhere.

No I don't think I am getting confused Eddie, maybe I'm not explaining it well.
Simply put, some people are happy and contented without setting goals, maybe they don't feel the need to improve themselves because they are happy and contented with who they are.

The people who don't move forwards because of fear.....they are different, but the ones who are satisfied with their lot should never be made to feel they  are lacking in anything just because they don't strive to move forwards.

A bit like retirement.....some people feel it's the kiss of death and if they don't continue to set goals they will waste away. Others can't wait to sit back and take it easy for as long as they can.
No right or wrong way, because different people want different things.

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 16883
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:27 am

Syl wrote:
eddie wrote:I think you're getting confused with the message Syl and Vic.
Simply put, it's a way of saying "don't ever not try to better yourself" and you can never stop bettering yourself.
It's not about where you work or what you do, it's about being happy and content with where you are and if you're not, and you are doing nothing about it, you're acting fearful (chicken!).

Most people are terrified of taking chances. They're scared of change. If you don't continuously keep changing and growing then you're not "moving" and if you're not moving then you're not going anywhere.

No I don't think I am getting confused Eddie, maybe I'm not explaining it well.
Simply put, some people are happy and contented without setting goals, maybe they don't feel the need to improve themselves because they are happy and contented.

The people who don't move forwards because of fear.....they are different, but the ones who are satisfied with their lot should never be made to feel they  are lacking in anything just because they don't strive to move forwards.

A bit like retirement.....some people feel it's the kiss of death and if they don't continue to set goals they will waste away. Others can't wait to sit back and take it easy for as long as can.
No right or wrong way, because different people want different things.


But claiming contentment is failing to attempt to at least try Syl
People are being dishonest if they say to themselves they are contempt, when they have always had dreams and aspirations.

For example.

We always want the best for our children do we not?
Are we always content with this, or still wish the best for them?
To say people are content, is to me a falsehood, sorry.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by Syl on Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:39 am

But some people strive all their lives to achieve a sense of contentment, so I don't agree that it's a cop out.

As for dreams and aspirations, some people's are easily achievable, so why yearn for more if you all ready have everythingyou want?

We all do want our kids  to be happy obviously,  that's a given.....but happiness is different for different people.....what one may see as an achievable goal to aim for, another may see as too much stress and pressure to be worth while.

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 16883
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:46 am

Syl wrote:But some people strive all their lives to achieve a sense of contentment, so I don't agree that it's a cop out.

As for dreams and aspirations, some people's are easily achievable, so why yearn for more if you all ready have everythingyou want?

We all do want our kids  to be happy obviously,  that's a given.....but happiness is different for different people.....what one may see as an achievable goal to aim for, another may see as too much stress and pressure to be worth while.


Because people really need to continually challenge themselves. 
If you have achieved your goals that is different, but many people fall at the very first hurdle, because they lack self belief. So tome it is a copout to self yourself out to a false belief in contentment. As is anyone every really content? You need to eat and sleep, it is required in order that we survive. Thus life is a continual goal we achieve daily in order to live. People take this so easily for granted, as they in many cases do not even have to worry about the food they have on their tables.

Happiness is different for different people, but to me, its a falsehood to say anyone is ever content.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by Syl on Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:59 am

Thorin wrote:
Syl wrote:But some people strive all their lives to achieve a sense of contentment, so I don't agree that it's a cop out.

As for dreams and aspirations, some people's are easily achievable, so why yearn for more if you all ready have everythingyou want?

We all do want our kids  to be happy obviously,  that's a given.....but happiness is different for different people.....what one may see as an achievable goal to aim for, another may see as too much stress and pressure to be worth while.


Because people really need to continually challenge themselves. 
If you have achieved your goals that is different, but many people fall at the very first hurdle, because they lack self belief. So tome it is a copout to self yourself out to a false belief in contentment. As is anyone every really content? You need to eat and sleep, it is required in order that we survive. Thus life is a continual goal we achieve daily in order to live. People take this so easily for granted, as they in many cases do not even have to worry about the food they have on their tables.

Happiness is different for different people, but to me, its a falsehood to say anyone is ever content.



I think the video that prompted this debate could be inspirational for some....it's if it's lack of confidence that's stopping you from being that Eagle, then yes, positive thinking is a good message to teach, but just as you can't turn a chicken into an Eagle, you can't change a contented soul into a go getter......and I don't think it would be a helpful thing to do anyway.

Maybe that Eagle sometimes looks down on that chicken and wishes he could be contented without forever aiming for more. Laughing




_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 16883
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by Syl on Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:01 am

Night Thor...and any other night owls around.x

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 16883
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:02 am

Syl wrote:
Thorin wrote:


Because people really need to continually challenge themselves. 
If you have achieved your goals that is different, but many people fall at the very first hurdle, because they lack self belief. So tome it is a copout to self yourself out to a false belief in contentment. As is anyone every really content? You need to eat and sleep, it is required in order that we survive. Thus life is a continual goal we achieve daily in order to live. People take this so easily for granted, as they in many cases do not even have to worry about the food they have on their tables.

Happiness is different for different people, but to me, its a falsehood to say anyone is ever content.



I think the video that prompted this debate could be inspirational for some....it's if it's lack of confidence that's stopping you from being that Eagle, then  yes, positive thinking is a good message to teach, but just as you can't turn a chicken into an Eagle,  you can't change a contented soul into a go getter......and I don't think it would be a helpful thing to do anyway.

Maybe that Eagle sometimes looks down on that chicken and wishes he could be contented without forever aiming for more. Laughing





If he was not raised by the chickens, he would shortly die of hunger...  Cool
I think people are missing the whole point of helping to inspire people who are afraid to bold.
"Fortune favours the bold"

Night Syl, sweet dreams

x

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by Syl on Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:29 pm

Morning all.

People who are afraid to be bold may indeed benefit from inspirational talks like in the video.

People who are satisfied and happy to be where they are, should never be made to feel they are under achieving, because they have achieved what many go getters never have...inner contentment.

Smile

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 16883
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:42 pm

Syl wrote:Morning all.

People who are afraid to be bold may indeed benefit from inspirational talks like in the video.

People who are satisfied and happy to be where they are, should never be made to feel they are under achieving, because they have achieved what many go getters never have...inner contentment.

Smile


I see your points, but some who claim to feel contented, are not contented. You can tell this by how they talk of things they could have done. They have regrets for example.
Its difficult to gauge unless you know the person.
You do seem very contented to me though Sly

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by Syl on Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:48 pm

Thorin wrote:
Syl wrote:Morning all.

People who are afraid to be bold may indeed benefit from inspirational talks like in the video.

People who are satisfied and happy to be where they are, should never be made to feel they are under achieving, because they have achieved what many go getters never have...inner contentment.

Smile


I see your points, but some who claim to feel contented, are not contented. You can tell this by how they talk of things they could have done. They have regrets for example.
Its difficult to gauge unless you know the person.
You do seem very contented to me though Sly

I'm probably just your average run of the mill under achiever Thor. Razz

I am always a bit suspicious of people who drone on about how contented/happy/satisfied/loved up they are..
My pet hate on forums (and in real life too) are people who have to keep telling others how great their lives are....usually when you have openly admitted that yours is not going so well.....now THEY are the ones I would suspect of not actually feeling the way they say they do about life. Twisted Evil

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 16883
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:01 pm

Syl wrote:
Thorin wrote:


I see your points, but some who claim to feel contented, are not contented. You can tell this by how they talk of things they could have done. They have regrets for example.
Its difficult to gauge unless you know the person.
You do seem very contented to me though Sly



I'm probably just your average run of the mill under achiever Thor. Razz

I am always a bit suspicious of people who drone on about how contented/happy/satisfied/loved up they are..
My pet hate on forums (and in real life too) are people who have to keep telling others how great their lives are....usually when you have openly admitted that yours is not going so well.....now THEY are the ones I would suspect of not actually feeling the way they say they do about life. Twisted Evil

Syl, they are generally people of low self-esteem. Who need to constantly run other people down in order to make themselves feel better. Its a falsehood and does not in anyway make them feel better or help change their own situations. Being able to recognise our faults and wanting to do something about them. Is the first step in being able to help ourselves.

I would not say you have under achieved when you have raised a loving family.

Laughing

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by eddie on Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:42 pm

It's not about under-achieving and I'm not sure why some have understood this and others haven't.

It's about becoming the best you can be, not for anyone else to judge, not for awards or merits or status or money....just to keep on improving you.
This could be as simple as learning a new task or reading a new try of poetry or taking a great talent like your people skills, and applying it in new ways.

Listen it is really this simple: five days out of the week if you can say "I soared today and touched something within myself and I feel good and different for it" then you're achieving your potential.
If you're not, then you're stagnant.

It doesn't have to be life-altering or create huge fireworks, but it will create a ripple effect within you and your life.
And that's what creates self-change and growth.

I am going to find one simple sentence that will sum this up even if it kills me.

_________________
“I’m writing to reach you now but...
I might never reach you,
Only want to teach you...about you”.

~ Travis
avatar
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 36027
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 48
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by Syl on Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:06 pm

Thorin wrote:
Syl wrote:



I'm probably just your average run of the mill under achiever Thor. Razz

I am always a bit suspicious of people who drone on about how contented/happy/satisfied/loved up they are..
My pet hate on forums (and in real life too) are people who have to keep telling others how great their lives are....usually when you have openly admitted that yours is not going so well.....now THEY are the ones I would suspect of not actually feeling the way they say they do about life. Twisted Evil

Syl, they are generally people of low self-esteem. Who need to constantly run other people down in order to make themselves feel better. Its a falsehood and does not in anyway make them feel better or help change their own situations. Being able to recognise our faults and wanting to do something about them. Is the first step in being able to help ourselves.

I would not say you have under achieved when you have raised a loving family.

Laughing

Thank you for those kind words Thor....I do believe that that is my greatest achievement in life. Laughing


_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 16883
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:07 pm

Syl wrote:
Thorin wrote:

Syl, they are generally people of low self-esteem. Who need to constantly run other people down in order to make themselves feel better. Its a falsehood and does not in anyway make them feel better or help change their own situations. Being able to recognise our faults and wanting to do something about them. Is the first step in being able to help ourselves.

I would not say you have under achieved when you have raised a loving family.

Laughing

Thank you for those kind words Thor....I do believe that that is my greatest achievement in life.  Laughing




You are welcome Syl.x

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by Syl on Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:08 pm

eddie wrote:It's not about under-achieving and I'm not sure why some have understood this and others haven't.

It's about becoming the best you can be, not for anyone else to judge, not for awards or merits or status or money....just to keep on improving you.
This could be as simple as learning a new task or reading a new try of poetry or taking a great talent like your people skills, and applying it in new ways.

Listen it is really this simple: five days out of the week if you can say "I soared today and touched something within myself and I feel good and different for it" then you're achieving your potential.
If you're not, then you're stagnant.

It doesn't have to be life-altering or create huge fireworks, but it will create a ripple effect within you and your life.
And that's what creates self-change and growth.

I am going to find one simple sentence that will sum this up even if it kills me.

I do understand....I just think our idea on stagnating is different. Razz

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 16883
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by Syl on Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:15 pm

I know one thing, the man in the video is helping people, I love his farmers vid....'Maybe' which emphasises that out of bad something good can always be found if we look at it in different ways.
It's like the old fashioned saying "Every cloud has a silver lining"....and it does, if we have an open mind.

His other vid is obviously interpreted differently by us, but there is still a good message there.....some people do need to be encouraged to fly, others are happy staying in their own comfort zone, not through fear, but because they are content to be there.

Wouldn't the world be dull if we all saw things in the same way?
Vive la difference.cheers

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 16883
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by eddie on Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:19 pm

Going to have to really disagree on this one and we will come back to it at a further date. Wink

_________________
“I’m writing to reach you now but...
I might never reach you,
Only want to teach you...about you”.

~ Travis
avatar
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 36027
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 48
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by Syl on Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:24 pm

eddie wrote:Going to have to really disagree on this one and we will come back to it at a further date. Wink

Cant wait

Razz

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 16883
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by eddie on Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:48 pm

Syl wrote:
eddie wrote:Going to have to really disagree on this one and we will come back to it at a further date. Wink

Cant wait

Razz

And I do have a good memory box so I won't forget. Actually you will say something one day and I will say "Syl, that's the "Chicken story right there".

_________________
“I’m writing to reach you now but...
I might never reach you,
Only want to teach you...about you”.

~ Travis
avatar
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 36027
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 48
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by Raggamuffin on Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:54 pm

eddie wrote:It's not about under-achieving and I'm not sure why some have understood this and others haven't.

It's about becoming the best you can be, not for anyone else to judge, not for awards or merits or status or money....just to keep on improving you.
This could be as simple as learning a new task or reading a new try of poetry or taking a great talent like your people skills, and applying it in new ways.

Listen it is really this simple: five days out of the week if you can say "I soared today and touched something within myself and I feel good and different for it" then you're achieving your potential.
If you're not, then you're stagnant.

It doesn't have to be life-altering or create huge fireworks, but it will create a ripple effect within you and your life.
And that's what creates self-change and growth.

I am going to find one simple sentence that will sum this up even if it kills me.

Five days out of the week? I guess you could count making it into work five days a week. Seriously, a lot of people are busy working and they don't have the time or energy to be soaring five days a week. Laughing

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 31301
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by Syl on Sun Jan 08, 2017 9:56 pm

eddie wrote:
Syl wrote:

Cant wait

Razz

And I do have a good memory box so I won't forget. Actually you will say something one day and I will say "Syl, that's the "Chicken story right there".

Lol......I don't doubt it, I have been known to change my mind about forum topics sometimes..... Razz

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 16883
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by HoratioTarr on Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:01 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:Hope it's not a 'rusty trombone'...


lol!

Is that a euphemism for something?
avatar
HoratioTarr

Posts : 8292
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by HoratioTarr on Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:04 pm

eddie wrote:Okay forget the bloody birds.

We are here to explore every single nook and cranny of things and people that are within us, around us and among us. To simply say "I'm a person who doesn't like change or trying things but that's okay" is not okay! Those people tell themselves it's okay because it allows them a pass on life.
Television is a huge factor in the general mental laziness of most people. It keeps you programmed and contented and dumbed down (mostly).  
So many people die without ever saying "I did everything that I wanted to do"....and they don't even have to big huge things either.

The video is spot on: we all sit in our comfort zone and we rarely step outside of it. How much richer could our lives be if we took more chances and aimed higher?

On the whole, people don't like change. Particularly in the workplace. People like to know where they stand, and to feel secure and appreciated. Going outside your comfort zone takes a certain courage, and not many people have that courage. For every maverick there's a person who will just accept their lot in life and get on with it. And perhaps we have to appreciate that too...because without those people our whole society would cease to exist.
avatar
HoratioTarr

Posts : 8292
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by eddie on Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:05 pm

I will make you see.....I will make you all see!

<<<< that's a male chicken btw

I think.

_________________
“I’m writing to reach you now but...
I might never reach you,
Only want to teach you...about you”.

~ Travis
avatar
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 36027
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 48
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by Raggamuffin on Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:11 pm

What is this "lot in life" anyway? If someone has a job, they had to apply for it and be better than others who had also applied for it. Is that not an achievement? OK, so the thrill of that wears off eventually, so people try to get a thrill from something else, and then something else ...


_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 31301
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by eddie on Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:12 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:What is this "lot in life" anyway? If someone has a job, they had to apply for it and be better than others who had also applied for it. Is that not an achievement? OK, so the thrill of that wears off eventually, so people try to get a thrill from something else, and then something else ...


It's not about thrills.
Did you actually watch the video? scratch

_________________
“I’m writing to reach you now but...
I might never reach you,
Only want to teach you...about you”.

~ Travis
avatar
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 36027
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 48
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by Raggamuffin on Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:16 pm

eddie wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:What is this "lot in life" anyway? If someone has a job, they had to apply for it and be better than others who had also applied for it. Is that not an achievement? OK, so the thrill of that wears off eventually, so people try to get a thrill from something else, and then something else ...


It's not about thrills.
Did you actually watch the video? scratch

If you don't get a thrill out of this soaring business, what's the point of it?

Yes, I watched it, and I said it was flawed. First of all, chickens are not capable of being eagles, so the only bird in that group which was capable of being an eagle was the eagle. Where does that leave all the people who are "chickens"?

Was the eagle perfectly happy until he saw another eagle doing something different?

Did the chickens mind being chickens, or did they wish they were eagles? They had a nice comfortable life did they not?

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 31301
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:20 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
eddie wrote:

It's not about thrills.
Did you actually watch the video? scratch

If you don't get a thrill out of this soaring business, what's the point of it?

Yes, I watched it, and I said it was flawed. First of all, chickens are not capable of being eagles, so the only bird in that group which was capable of being an eagle was the eagle. Where does that leave all the people who are "chickens"?

Was the eagle perfectly happy until he saw another eagle doing something different?

Did the chickens mind being chickens, or did they wish they were eagles? They had a nice comfortable life did they not?



You really do not get the moral of the story do you?

Its not meant to be taken literally or that chickens are in some way bad.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by HoratioTarr on Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:24 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:These videos are wishy washy drivel anyway...

They're monetized. This is how these people make money.
avatar
HoratioTarr

Posts : 8292
Join date : 2014-01-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:29 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:These videos are wishy washy drivel anyway...

They're monetized.  This is how these people make money.

So someone makes money out of inspiring people

And, what is wrong with that?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by Raggamuffin on Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:30 pm

People pay good money to be inspired by someone else ...

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 31301
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by Tommy Monk on Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:31 pm

HoratioTarr wrote:
Tommy Monk wrote:Hope it's not a 'rusty trombone'...


lol!

Is that a euphemism for something?


Urban dictionary might have a definition...



_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
avatar
Tommy Monk

Posts : 21050
Join date : 2014-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by Guest on Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:32 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:People pay good money to be inspired by someone else ...


Which is their choice

I love how people are so negative to something so positive

That speaks volumes into what people are really like

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by Tommy Monk on Sun Jan 08, 2017 10:34 pm

Both story's are bollocks.


An Eagle being brought up as a chicken...?


A farmer who doesn't care whether his horse runs off or if his son breaks his leg...?


Both scenarios and completely detached from reality and both are ambiguous as to their ficticional underlying message too...


Load of bollocks!!!


The twat behind it all is only looking to profit financially from any of if too...

_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
avatar
Tommy Monk

Posts : 21050
Join date : 2014-02-12

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: FORGET YOUR NEW YEARS RESOLUTION

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum