Danger On Escalator

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by Syl on Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:35 pm

YouTube is my downfall too. I flicked on for a quick look at something last night  and was still watching connected videos till 3.30 this morning. OH went mad because I left his tablet exhausted. Laughing

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jules on Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:48 pm

Syl wrote:YouTube is my downfall too. I flicked on for a quick look at something last night  and was still watching connected videos till 3.30 this morning. OH went mad because I left his tablet exhausted. Laughing

YT just sucks you in. That is why I haven't time for much TV. There are only so many hours in a day and you run out of hours eventually.
Jules

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by eddie on Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:01 am

I have YouTube open along with this forum and other sites and I flick between them. I used to love online shopping but I find I have no desire for that anymore.

~ Charles F. Kettering
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:48 am

veya_victaous wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Propaganda though it might be, you present nothing to contradict the origin of left-side driving in Britain.  It's the best explanation I've heard.

You give some great history of France in your explanation of French rightward driving.  I didn't know that.  Although...nothing in that history contradicts how the British came to drive on the left.  Could be French aristocrats originally traveled on the left for defensive reasons too, as the highwaymen probably weren't interested in the plebian purses.  I believe both theories are right.

Syl, it's just history...an academic subject, with some fascinating stories to tell along the way.  If Britain or America get bashed in passing, it shows they've made an impression.  Good for them. Wink

English aristocrats where Frenchmen  Wink

the left side for purposes of greeting/stabbing has been since Ancient Greece 
the french changed it and forced it on Europe
and the US copied (cause it prefered the french to english at the time)

Xlnt bit of history, there. It adds to what I said. Most likely the aristocrats rode on the left in order to keep the field of swordplay to their right hand. It fits nicely that English aristocracy was originally French, or that is to say, Norman, as they probably carried the old practices over to England. And the longevity going back to Greece gives us a date, although until the invention of stirrups fighting by horseback was rare. See, Lynn White Jr., Mideval Technology and Social Change (1962).

The French change to the right side at the time of the Revolution fits with the way Europe is today...and America, Canada, etc.

Terrorism: "..many fine people, on many sides" ― Donald Trump, Charlottesville, 8.15.17

"Work for America to fail whenever the other party is in power."
― Republican Senator Majority Leader Mitch McConnell
Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:54 am

Lord Foul wrote:do you ever go to wikipedia to look up one thing.....and an hour later find yourself twenty subjects away from what you went to look at originally........

That's the fun of it. I live discovering little factoids of history, then it expands to a whole world as you pursue the leads.

Terrorism: "..many fine people, on many sides" ― Donald Trump, Charlottesville, 8.15.17

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:06 am

@quill

The earliest manifestation of the stirrup was a toe loop that held the big toe and was used in India late in the second century B.C.E.,[6][7] though may have appeared as early as 500 B.C.E.

actually that Book is quite disputed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Stirrup_Controversy

it is Eurocentric nonsense basically
and ignores that the Nomadic Central Asians rode over Europeans from the Hun to the Mongols, Arguably the Hun bought about the fall of Rome and the dark ages for Europe. these people bought already had stirrups centuries before there were widely used in Europe.

even the works of homer mention the Amazons from Central Asia and there use of mounted archers.  Wink

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:42 am

veya_victaous wrote:@quill

The earliest manifestation of the stirrup was a toe loop that held the big toe and was used in India late in the second century B.C.E.,[6][7] though may have appeared as early as 500 B.C.E.

actually that Book is quite disputed.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Stirrup_Controversy

it is Eurocentric nonsense basically
and ignores that the Nomadic Central Asians rode over Europeans from the Hun to the Mongols, Arguably the Hun bought about the fall of Rome and the dark ages for Europe. these people bought already had stirrups centuries before there were widely used in Europe.

even the works of homer mention the Amazons from Central Asia and there use of mounted archers.  Wink

Well, it's all disputed...I think White meant to say that modernity started with the stirrup, which led to the Knight on horseback (heavy horse warfare), which led to landed aristocracy (to graze the horses), which let to Castles (to hold the land), which lead to towns and cities, which led to commerce, which led to nation states, and on it goes.  Attila and Genghis never developed that far. But there are arguments to be made.  That's the fun of history, just as soon as you think you've got it down along comes someone else with a different idea.  All of knowledge is corrigible.  

But...warts and all, it is fun, innit?

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miffs2 on Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:01 am

veya_victaous wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Propaganda though it might be, you present nothing to contradict the origin of left-side driving in Britain.  It's the best explanation I've heard.

You give some great history of France in your explanation of French rightward driving.  I didn't know that.  Although...nothing in that history contradicts how the British came to drive on the left.  Could be French aristocrats originally traveled on the left for defensive reasons too, as the highwaymen probably weren't interested in the plebian purses.  I believe both theories are right.

Syl, it's just history...an academic subject, with some fascinating stories to tell along the way.  If Britain or America get bashed in passing, it shows they've made an impression.  Good for them. Wink

English aristocrats were Norman.
Miffs2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by nicko on Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:07 am

And didn't they build some great Castles?
nicko

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:12 pm

Jules wrote:
Syl wrote:YouTube is my downfall too. I flicked on for a quick look at something last night  and was still watching connected videos till 3.30 this morning. OH went mad because I left his tablet exhausted. Laughing

YT just sucks you in. That is why I haven't time for much TV.  There are only so many hours in a day and you run out of hours eventually.

Same here Jules....apart from a selected few pre recorded programmes (The three part drama about Christie was brilliant and finished last night) I prefer the internet to TV.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Syl on Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:14 pm

eddie wrote:I have YouTube open along with this forum and other sites and I flick between them. I used to love online shopping but I find I have no desire for that anymore.

I only use the internet to shop if I cant find what I am looking for in the real world.
I like the experience of shopping, mixing with people, looking for gifts, trying on clothes etc rather than just sitting at home shopping via a screen.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miffs2 on Wed Dec 14, 2016 12:59 pm

nicko wrote:And didn't they build some great Castles?

They certainly did.

Miffs2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:35 pm

Miffs2 wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:

I agree...as I said in mid-sentence: "...English aristocracy was originally French, or that is to say, Norman, as they probably carried the old practices over to England."

The Normans developed a style of shock warfare, using heavy horse...an armored knight on horseback, stabilized by a sturdy stirrup supporting both feet.  No better military use of the horse was ever perfected.  The idea of a cavalry still exists today, only they have substituted tanks and helicopters for horses.

In turn, they needed land for the horses, and someone to control the use and distribution of land.  Hence, landed aristocracy came into being as the governing model.  The Normans then devised the system of castles to oversee the land and harass any interlopers.  These gave rise to surrounding towns and cities, which gave rise to commerce.  At the zenith--around the time of Edward III to Henry VIII--we had a finished monarchical political system, and the beginnings of a nation state.

All due to the lowly stirrup, and the war machine it made possible.  No doubt it would have happened anyway, but that doesn't detract from actual history.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Wed Dec 14, 2016 8:48 pm

Miffs2 wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Normandy is part of Which Country?  tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue

Stupid English trying to rewrite history to the Duke Of Normandy beholden to the King of France is Not French
Do You ever listen to How Stupid you guys sound when you try and supposed Dumb shit like that Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by WhoseYourWolfie on Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:24 am

NEMS just proved how good her grasp of geography is, in reality...

Poor li'l diddums must really be miffed..

Henry David Thoreau
WhoseYourWolfie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Miffs2 on Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:42 am

veya_victaous wrote:
Miffs2 wrote:

Normandy is part of Which Country?  tongue tongue tongue tongue tongue

Stupid English trying to rewrite history to the Duke Of Normandy beholden to the King of France is Not French
Do You ever listen to How Stupid you guys sound when you try and supposed Dumb shit like that Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

Why are you in the present tense Veya? I haven't said Normandy is part of any country.

Call the English as stupid as you like I'm not English.

You will of course be basementing Wolfie for his comment about me that adds nothing to the thread, or have you abandoned any sense of impartiality along with your sense of humour?
Miffs2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Original Quill on Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:55 pm

Whence the Normans...

Rllo, also called Rolf or Rou, French Rollon, Old Norse Hrólfr (born c. 860—died c. 932) Scandinavian rover who founded the duchy of Normandy.

Britinnica wrote:Early in the 10th century, Rollo’s Danish army attacked France, and he established himself in an area along the Seine River. Charles III the Simple of France held off his siege of Paris, defeated him near Chartres, and negotiated the treaty of Saint-Clair-sur-Epte, giving him the part of Neustria that came to be called Normandy; Rollo in return agreed to end his brigandage.

Thereafter, the duchy formed an integral part of the French royal demesne.  But the Normans--real name, North men, or Norse men--continued to be a distinct ethnic group, with impressive accomplishments.  Of course, you might have heard that Duke William the Bastard in 1066, moved across the Channel and invaded Britain.  They also sailed into the Mediterranean and conquered Sicily and parts of southern Italy.  Then, in the 12th-century, Henry I and a combined Norman-Anglo army invaded Ireland...today, the bane of all Brits.

Original Quill

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by veya_victaous on Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:40 pm

exactly Quill
they may not have been Franks but they where French.

there are several other ethnic groups in France at the time too.

veya_victaous

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jules on Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:59 pm

Let's not allow the arguments on the escalator thread to escalate. santa

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:18 pm

Jules wrote:Let's not allow the arguments on the escalator thread to escalate. santa
What ...you expect 'US' to tread lightly Suspect

Back to top Go down

Post by Jules on Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:38 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Propaganda though it might be, you present nothing to contradict the origin of left-side driving in Britain. It's the best explanation I've heard.

You give some great history of France in your explanation of French rightward driving. I didn't know that. Although...nothing in that history contradicts how the British came to drive on the left. Could be French aristocrats originally traveled on the left for defensive reasons too, as the highwaymen probably weren't interested in the plebian purses. I believe both theories are right.

Syl, it's just history...an academic subject, with some fascinating stories to tell along the way. If Britain or America get bashed in passing, it shows they've made an impression. Good for them. Wink

English aristocrats where Frenchmen Wink

Currently they are a mixture of Normans, Saxons, Jutes and Vikings who arrived in different eras. And interbred prolifically through both rape/pillage AND consensual marital unions. The Spanish tried to invade these shores too, but got nowhere lol.

The French had a very dominant and imperious presence in England and throughout western europe. All the European royal courts communicated in French during formal settings (In privacy they no doubt spoke their native german, or danish, or whatever, and many hated the french tongue.) To this day all menus at English royal state banquets are still exclusively written in french - a habit the royals simply held on to.

Proceedings in our judicial courts were also in French. The English language slowly re-imposed itself, but to this day, significant chunks of the law are still in their orignal norman french, untranslated. And many of the original expresssions are still currently used as a matter of routine today.
Jules

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Jules on Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:40 pm

4EVER2 wrote:
Jules wrote:Let's not allow the arguments on the escalator thread to escalate. santa
I see what you did there, you lil minx. x Razz
Jules

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:14 am

Jules wrote:
4EVER2 wrote:

Just 'STEPPING' up to the challenge

Back to top Go down

Post by Jules on Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:05 pm

4EVER2 wrote:
Jules wrote:

Ya taking a rise aintcha hahaha
Jules

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Guest on Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:25 pm

Jules wrote:
4EVER2 wrote:

Ya taking a rise aintcha  hahaha
I'm just a 'convey-or' of the intent & spirit behind the humor that I'll blame all on your direction! 

Back to top Go down

Post by Jules on Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:28 pm

4EVER2 wrote:
Jules wrote:

Ya taking a rise aintcha  hahaha
I'm just a 'convey-or' of the intent & spirit behind the humor that I'll blame all on your direction! 

cheers
Jules

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum