Danger On Escalator

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:35 pm

Bloody immigrants. Rolling Eyes

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:41 pm

Major wrote:
Ziz wrote:Bloody immigrants. Rolling Eyes


You said it, not me.


You just did with this post.


Last edited by Ziz on Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:41 pm; edited 1 time in total

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by Syl on Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:41 pm

My pet hate is when someone alights from an escalator and stops dead.....leaving a domino effect of people behind her fighting to get off. Rolling Eyes

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 12963
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:42 pm

We don't have escalators in Cumbria - we use legs.

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by Raggamuffin on Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:10 pm

On the London Underground, one stands on the right side of the escalator so that those who want to walk up or down can do so on the left. There's always one who stands on the left though. Laughing

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 29351
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by magica on Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:32 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:On the London Underground, one stands on the right side of the escalator so that those who want to walk up or down can do so on the left. There's always one who stands on the left though. Laughing

That's normally me Rags Embarassed

_________________
__________________________________________________________________________________
avatar
magica

Posts : 1997
Join date : 2016-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by Raggamuffin on Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:36 pm

magica wrote:
Raggamuffin wrote:On the London Underground, one stands on the right side of the escalator so that those who want to walk up or down can do so on the left. There's always one who stands on the left though. Laughing

That's normally me Rags Embarassed

I can well believe that Mags. Laughing

_________________

"It ain't over 'til it's over"
avatar
Raggamuffin

Posts : 29351
Join date : 2014-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by magica on Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:37 pm

Raggamuffin wrote:
magica wrote:

That's normally me Rags Embarassed

I can well believe that Mags. Laughing

Hahahaha Laughing

_________________
__________________________________________________________________________________
avatar
magica

Posts : 1997
Join date : 2016-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by Jules on Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:16 pm

magica wrote:

That's normally me Rags Embarassed

That is sometimes me too.  Embarassed  
See, it's the opposite to which side you'd drive on, so that often messes with my head.
Anyone else had this confusion??

_________________
Don't let the world change your smile
avatar
Jules

Posts : 1938
Join date : 2016-07-30
Location : Vantage Point

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by Jules on Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:21 pm

Anyway ... If I am alone on the escalator - ie there are no other people for me to take my cues from - I dither a bit, and often mix my left with my right.

What I would never do is stand in the middle though ....
...  let alone deliberately block someone's path especially after they have indicated they want to get past me.

They may be desperate to catch a particular train, or attend an appointment or simply get to work on time.

_________________
Don't let the world change your smile
avatar
Jules

Posts : 1938
Join date : 2016-07-30
Location : Vantage Point

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by Jules on Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:42 pm

Major wrote:It is not safe for some galoot to rush up and down a escalator bumping other travellers who may have mobility problems..


Of course, you get people who get off escalator and stand talking making it a prob for those following.



I would happily let them get past, tbh.  I don't own the escalator.  

It is not my job to teach complete strangers a lesson in manners, or convert them from "galootry" to civilty.

I got the impression it was a shop assistant, not some rough ''galoot' ?



Either way ... I'd let it go. He could be a stoned nutter with possibly a knife for all I know.

(As for knocking infirm people over, there's always CCTV )

_________________
Don't let the world change your smile
avatar
Jules

Posts : 1938
Join date : 2016-07-30
Location : Vantage Point

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:17 pm

Major wrote:
Ziz wrote:We don't have escalators in Cumbria  - we use legs.

For a backkward placs of the webfooted I suppose that is all you know.

What are placs?

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by Guest on Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:38 pm

Major wrote:I have experienced this before.

I was going up on escalator when I felt this jab in my back, I looked around expecting to see someone I knew, twaz a woman I had never set eyez on, I could not understand her mumblingz, I ignored her despite her pushing me, I suddenly twigged she wanted to pass me by walking up said escalotor so I made it clear she was not passing.
I found out she was employed by the store.

Dopey mare, she could have made an infirm person to fall.
Rolling Eyes  And on this grand day true chivalry died right there on the escalator ...Well Done Stormee!

I could not understand her mumblingz  - yet you managed to figure it out that she was trying to pass you!

she wanted to pass me by walking up said escalator  - not that she had an emergency errand ...was late getting back to her post from lunch or her timed break/ to clock in as it often happens to many of us!

so I made it clear she was not passing.  -  WOW, did that make your male ego just ratchet up several notches - did your chest swell with bravado and job well done, putting that uppity foreigner "mumblingz" woman in her rightful place???
Yes, INDEED ...polite & mannerly and being a decent human being just had the opportunity to be - well, the bigger and better man and you just chose to be a low brow knuckle dragging Neanderthal and had to brag about it!  

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by Original Quill on Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:17 am

Jules wrote:
magica wrote:

That's normally me Rags Embarassed

That is sometimes me too.  Embarassed  
See, it's the opposite to which side you'd drive on, so that often messes with my head.
Anyone else had this confusion??

Yes, but for the same reason even London has adopted the habits of the world, of driving on the right. I remember the escalator at Sloan Square, and thinking the same thing at the time...Huh...they have habituated to left side passing, even tho on the streets they drive otherwise.

Lest you think I am chauvinistic, I think the British system is the valid one. Imagine the days of horseback travel and highwaymen...most people are right handed swordsmen, and so in order to defend oneself, you would draw the sword and want the field of play on your right. Hence, you drive on the left.

The French, being obstinate, opposed everything the British did and so they started driving on the right.

_________________
"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Terrorism: "..many fine people, on many sides" ― Donald Trump, Charlottesville, 8.15.17

"Work for America to fail whenever the other party is in power."
― Republican Senator Majority Leader Mitch McConnell
avatar
Original Quill

Posts : 20530
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 52
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by veya_victaous on Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:32 am

Original Quill wrote:
Jules wrote:
magica wrote:

That's normally me Rags Embarassed

That is sometimes me too.  Embarassed  
See, it's the opposite to which side you'd drive on, so that often messes with my head.
Anyone else had this confusion??

Yes, but for the same reason even London has adopted the habits of the world, of driving on the right.  I remember the escalator at Sloan Square, and thinking the same thing at the time...Huh...they have habituated to left side passing, even tho on the streets they drive otherwise.

Lest you think I am chauvinistic, I think the British system is the valid one.  Imagine the days of horseback travel and highwaymen...most people are right handed swordsmen, and so in order to defend oneself, you would draw the sword and want the field of play on your right.  Hence, you drive on the left.

The French, being obstinate, opposed everything the British did and so they started driving on the right.



had nothing to do with Brits.
Keep in mind the French see their rivals as Spain, the English are just pirate peasants, and most of the time Italy and Germany were divided Principalities


There was an obvious class distinction in France between the left- and right-hand sides of the roads. The aristocrats drove in their carriages up the left hand side of the road, forcing the citoyens over onto the right. Come the revolution in 1789, and the declaration of the "rights of man" in 1791, the aristocrats had a natural incentive to keep to the poor side of the road, to avoid drawing attention to themselves [...]. Napoleon established the change more firmly by ordering his military traffic to take the right side of the road.
from new scientist article

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=qfak8nsMNGIC&pg=PA16&lpg=PA16&safe=on&hl=en#v=onepage&q&f=false

almost entirely the combination of reversing everything the nobles did prior and the desire to show complete dominion

This practice was common throughout medieval Europe, until it was changed by the French. During the French Revolution in a bid to turn absolutely everything on its antithesis, the driving laws were changed to "keep right." Napoleon quickly adopted the right-hand rule as law for two reasons--a display of absolute power in even the minutest of details, and the singular fact that the emperor was left-handed-- according to Ed Wright's "A Left Handed History of the World."

the left handed part is unsubstantiated and doesn't appear outside of the English Propaganda.

_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
avatar
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 16357
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 34
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by Syl on Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:26 pm

Amazing how a thread about escalators is suddenly another opportunity to Brit bash. Razz

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 12963
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by Original Quill on Tue Dec 13, 2016 12:53 pm

Fascinating stuff, veya.


Last edited by Original Quill on Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:05 pm; edited 1 time in total

_________________
"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Terrorism: "..many fine people, on many sides" ― Donald Trump, Charlottesville, 8.15.17

"Work for America to fail whenever the other party is in power."
― Republican Senator Majority Leader Mitch McConnell
avatar
Original Quill

Posts : 20530
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 52
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by Original Quill on Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:04 pm

veya_victaous wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Yes, but for the same reason even London has adopted the habits of the world, of driving on the right.  I remember the escalator at Sloan Square, and thinking the same thing at the time...Huh...they have habituated to left side passing, even tho on the streets they drive otherwise.

Lest you think I am chauvinistic, I think the British system is the valid one.  Imagine the days of horseback travel and highwaymen...most people are right handed swordsmen, and so in order to defend oneself, you would draw the sword and want the field of play on your right.  Hence, you drive on the left.

The French, being obstinate, opposed everything the British did and so they started driving on the right.



had nothing to do with Brits.
Keep in mind the French see their rivals as Spain, the English are just pirate peasants, and most of the time Italy and Germany were divided Principalities


There was an obvious class distinction in France between the left- and right-hand sides of the roads. The aristocrats drove in their carriages up the left hand side of the road, forcing the citoyens over onto the right. Come the revolution in 1789, and the declaration of the "rights of man" in 1791, the aristocrats had a natural incentive to keep to the poor side of the road, to avoid drawing attention to themselves [...]. Napoleon established the change more firmly by ordering his military traffic to take the right side of the road.
from new scientist article

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=qfak8nsMNGIC&pg=PA16&lpg=PA16&safe=on&hl=en#v=onepage&q&f=false

almost entirely the combination of reversing everything the nobles did prior and the desire to show complete dominion

This practice was common throughout medieval Europe, until it was changed by the French. During the French Revolution in a bid to turn absolutely everything on its antithesis, the driving laws were changed to "keep right." Napoleon quickly adopted the right-hand rule as law for two reasons--a display of absolute power in even the minutest of details, and the singular fact that the emperor was left-handed-- according to Ed Wright's "A Left Handed History of the World."

the left handed part is unsubstantiated and doesn't appear outside of the English Propaganda.

Propaganda though it might be, you present nothing to contradict the origin of left-side driving in Britain.  It's the best explanation I've heard.

You give some great history of France in your explanation of French rightward driving.  I didn't know that.  Although...nothing in that history contradicts how the British came to drive on the left.  Could be French aristocrats originally traveled on the left for defensive reasons too, as the highwaymen probably weren't interested in the plebian purses.  I believe both theories are right.

Syl, it's just history...an academic subject, with some fascinating stories to tell along the way.  If Britain or America get bashed in passing, it shows they've made an impression.  Good for them. Wink

_________________
"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Terrorism: "..many fine people, on many sides" ― Donald Trump, Charlottesville, 8.15.17

"Work for America to fail whenever the other party is in power."
― Republican Senator Majority Leader Mitch McConnell
avatar
Original Quill

Posts : 20530
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 52
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by Syl on Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:05 pm

I said it tongue in cheek Quill....I find all the contrived little put downs  about our green and pleasant land quite amusing .

By the way....London hasn't adopted the habits of the world by 'driving on the right'....it happens on one street only... the entrance to the Savoy, and origionally purely for practical reasons ....you may find this interesting.

http://now-here-this.timeout.com/2012/04/28/another-london-mystery-solved-why-do-cars-drive-on-the-right-at-the-savoy-hotel/

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 12963
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by Original Quill on Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:16 pm

Syl wrote:I said it tongue in cheek Quill....I find all the contrived little put downs  about our green and pleasant land quite amusing .

Same as me...tongue in cheek.  We all have to suffer these little digs now and then, as it means we're important enough to be remembered.

Syl wrote:By the way....London hasn't adopted the habits of the world by 'driving on the right'....it happens  on one street only... the entrance to the Savoy, and origionally purely for practical reasons ....you may find this interesting.

http://now-here-this.timeout.com/2012/04/28/another-london-mystery-solved-why-do-cars-drive-on-the-right-at-the-savoy-hotel/

To the contrary, I believe Britain has adopted the habits of the world.  I wasn't really talking about driving, but the habit of walking to the right when passing by someone.  This would include standing to the right to let others pass when on an escalator.  British still drive on the left, but they instinctively move to the right personally.  Good for them...shows they are well-traveled.


Last edited by Original Quill on Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total

_________________
"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Terrorism: "..many fine people, on many sides" ― Donald Trump, Charlottesville, 8.15.17

"Work for America to fail whenever the other party is in power."
― Republican Senator Majority Leader Mitch McConnell
avatar
Original Quill

Posts : 20530
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 52
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by Original Quill on Tue Dec 13, 2016 1:19 pm

Good stuff on the Savoy history, Syl. Fun read.

_________________
"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Terrorism: "..many fine people, on many sides" ― Donald Trump, Charlottesville, 8.15.17

"Work for America to fail whenever the other party is in power."
― Republican Senator Majority Leader Mitch McConnell
avatar
Original Quill

Posts : 20530
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 52
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by magica on Tue Dec 13, 2016 2:02 pm

Ziz wrote:Bloody immigrants. Rolling Eyes

Now see Ziz, you brought immigrants into this, not Major Suspect

_________________
__________________________________________________________________________________
avatar
magica

Posts : 1997
Join date : 2016-08-22

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by Lord Foul on Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:04 pm

Well, I have to say if some "unknown" had rudely poked me in the back and tried to shove past, gibbering something incomprehensible, courteous as I normally am, I'm afriad they would have stayed firmly behind ME too.

1 its rude to go around pokeing people
2) Its even RUDER to do so whilst gibbering in some incomprehensible tongue.....regardless of what it might be...
3) there is NO RERASON ...if someone is visiting, let alone staying to work, NOT to learn the minimum FEW words required for common good manners

you know

please
thank you
excuse me
sorry

to which could be added a few "explanation words

I'm late
I'm lost

etc etc

It is reckoned that 20 words max is all thats needed for "survival" in a foreign land....

It is an insult to your host nation to do otherwise...and yes I Know...brits are awful for it....

I have visited france, germany, spain, the netherlands, crete belgium

In all cases I have managed at least the polite civilities required for a comfortable existance,

We have aquired the woodland in wales....so Now I'm learning the minimum basics to start with...
It makes for a wonderful freindly relationship with everyone from shop keepers to the local folks...
I usually gain at least one new word every time we go into one of the villages/towns scattered around....




_________________
If at any time in 2016 I have annoyed you, pissed you off or said the wrong thing....Suck it up buttercup, cause 2017 AINT gonna be any different

There are those who's opinion I value, there are those who's opinion I neither value or scorn, and then there are those who's opinion I just ignore as insignificant...I can assure you the latter outnumber the first two combined by a whole order of magnitude


Difficile est meminisse officium paludes siccare , cum de nocte surrexeritis et asinus tuus alligators ....(It's hard to remember that the task is to drain the swamp, when you are up to your arse in alligators)
avatar
Lord Foul
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Posts : 8918
Join date : 2015-11-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by Original Quill on Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:11 pm

Lord Foul wrote:Well, I have to say if some "unknown" had rudely poked me in the back and tried to shove past, gibbering something incomprehensible, courteous as I normally am, I'm afriad they would have stayed firmly behind ME too.

1 its rude to go around pokeing people
2) Its even RUDER to do so whilst gibbering in some incomprehensible tongue.....regardless of what it might be...
3) there is NO RERASON ...if someone is visiting, let alone staying to work, NOT to learn the minimum FEW words required for common good manners

you know

please
thank you
excuse me
sorry

to which could be added a few "explanation words

I'm late
I'm lost

etc etc

It is reckoned that 20 words max is all thats needed for "survival" in a foreign land....

It is an insult to your host nation to do otherwise...and yes I Know...brits are awful for it....

I have visited france, germany, spain, the netherlands, crete belgium

In all cases I have managed at least the polite civilities required for a comfortable existance,

We have aquired the woodland in wales....so Now I'm learning the minimum basics to start with...
It makes for a wonderful freindly relationship with everyone from shop keepers to the local folks...
I usually gain at least one new word every time we go into one of the villages/towns scattered around....

Yeah...I think that rudeness doesn't belong in any habit pattern.

_________________
"I don't stand by anything."  ― Donald Trump, interview with John Dickerson, 5.1.17...

Terrorism: "..many fine people, on many sides" ― Donald Trump, Charlottesville, 8.15.17

"Work for America to fail whenever the other party is in power."
― Republican Senator Majority Leader Mitch McConnell
avatar
Original Quill

Posts : 20530
Join date : 2013-12-19
Age : 52
Location : Northern California

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by Guest on Tue Dec 13, 2016 5:36 pm

Lord Foul wrote:Well, I have to say if some "unknown" had rudely poked me in the back and tried to shove past, gibbering something incomprehensible, courteous as I normally am, I'm afriad they would have stayed firmly behind ME too.
1 its rude to go around pokeing people
2) Its even RUDER to do so whilst gibbering in some incomprehensible tongue.....regardless of what it might be...
3) there is NO RERASON ...if someone is visiting, let alone staying to work, NOT to learn the minimum FEW words required for common good manners
you know
please
thank you
excuse me
sorry
to which could be added a few "explanation words
I'm late
I'm lost
etc etc
It is reckoned that 20 words max is all thats needed for "survival" in a foreign land....
It is an insult to your host nation to do otherwise...and yes I Know...brits are awful for it....
I have visited france, germany, spain, the netherlands, crete belgium
In all cases I have managed at least the polite civilities required for a comfortable existance,
We have aquired the woodland in wales....so Now I'm learning the minimum basics to start with...
It makes for a wonderful freindly relationship with everyone from shop keepers to the local folks...
I usually gain at least one new word every time we go into one of the villages/towns scattered around....

Suspect   Oh, quite right ...and given that this 'WHAT IF' scenario came in here from the posted opinion/make believe world of our resident woman hater/Muslim basher and you've just decided to gift him total creditability for his yarn!
Gee, lets pull some threads to Stormee's reality on that escalator and see how that fits into the REAL WORLD?
a.) could the lady have had a speech impediment '?' - Possibly
b.) could the lady have been from some other rural region like Ireland '?' - Plausible
c.) could the lady have been both of those and in dire need of the restroom '?' - WOW, yet another plausible story line that could just as well have been why she did what she did in order to try to scoot by him on a moving stairs

But as I've already posted; chivalry died that day in Stormee's world, when he had the opportunity {according to his little story} to just tip his head and allow the 'LADY' to pass by and just be the BIGGER HUMAN
Never let it be said, when in doubt bash a human that irks you in some minor way ...but you'll agree with Stormee's lack of humanity just as easily as if you were 2 like minded brothers from the same womb! 

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by Lord Foul on Tue Dec 13, 2016 6:56 pm

oh do calm down miss Bott....

I dont do "what if's"

else you are excusing ANY and ALL behaviour bad as well as good...

speech impediments in general are easily heard as such
a regional accent is generally immediately identifiable

as for "urgently needing the rest room"...what a typically "female" excuse.

whats wrong with a bit of planning?

it dont "sneak" up on you you know....

too many excuses from the "do as thou wilt" brigade....


no wonder society has turned so damn ignorant

WHY...POKE

why not say excuse me


or a touch on the elbow to attract attention?


now unlike you apparantly, I DONT KNOW if majors "story" is true or indeed reported accurately, and THAT is a different debate...

but I take it a face value to debate the points raised

IF the woman "poked him
AND
gibbered in some incomprehensible manner

then THAT is just plain RUDE

OH and you ladies lost ALL claim to "gentlemanly" treatment as far as I'm concerned when one of your bra burning sisters snarled at me for offering her my seat on a bus.....

the ONLY folks that get that offer now are disabled, elderly and pregnant
all others take their chances.....you are as capable of standing as I am....





_________________
If at any time in 2016 I have annoyed you, pissed you off or said the wrong thing....Suck it up buttercup, cause 2017 AINT gonna be any different

There are those who's opinion I value, there are those who's opinion I neither value or scorn, and then there are those who's opinion I just ignore as insignificant...I can assure you the latter outnumber the first two combined by a whole order of magnitude


Difficile est meminisse officium paludes siccare , cum de nocte surrexeritis et asinus tuus alligators ....(It's hard to remember that the task is to drain the swamp, when you are up to your arse in alligators)
avatar
Lord Foul
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Posts : 8918
Join date : 2015-11-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by nicko on Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:17 pm

Even when your pissed?
avatar
nicko

Posts : 8540
Join date : 2013-12-07
Age : 76
Location : rainbow bridge

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by Lord Foul on Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:26 pm

Nicko...I dont get pissed anymore....

I've come to realise the morning (or 3) after are NOT worth the night before....

_________________
If at any time in 2016 I have annoyed you, pissed you off or said the wrong thing....Suck it up buttercup, cause 2017 AINT gonna be any different

There are those who's opinion I value, there are those who's opinion I neither value or scorn, and then there are those who's opinion I just ignore as insignificant...I can assure you the latter outnumber the first two combined by a whole order of magnitude


Difficile est meminisse officium paludes siccare , cum de nocte surrexeritis et asinus tuus alligators ....(It's hard to remember that the task is to drain the swamp, when you are up to your arse in alligators)
avatar
Lord Foul
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Posts : 8918
Join date : 2015-11-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by Guest on Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:30 pm

Lord Foul wrote:I dont do "what if's" else you are excusing ANY and ALL behaviour bad as well as good...speech impediments in general are easily heard as such a regional accent is generally immediately identifiable as for "urgently needing the rest room"...what a typically "female" excuse.
whats wrong with a bit of planning? it dont "sneak" up on you you know....  Suspect Spoken like a MAN THAT HAS ZERO CLUE, but that's been your biggest maladjustment!
too many excuses from the "do as thou wilt" brigade....no wonder society has turned so damn ignorant WHY...POKE - why not say excuse me - or a touch on the elbow to attract attention?
now unlike you apparantly, I DONT KNOW if majors "story" is true or indeed reported accurately, and THAT is a different debate... but I take it a face value to debate the points raised
IF the woman "poked him AND  gibbered in some incomprehensible manner then THAT is just plain RUDE
OH and you ladies lost ALL claim to "gentlemanly" treatment as far as I'm concerned when one of your bra burning sisters snarled at me for offering her my seat on a bus.....
the ONLY folks that get that offer now are disabled, elderly and pregnant
all others take their chances.....you are as capable of standing as I am....
LMAO ...I'd imagine that the coy/jokester jocolor  Stormee is giggling himself into quite a righteous fit, after reading how easily you fall for his "YARNS"  lol!  
Least you forget his posted /amusing lamenting's from this past summer > > >
Your Own Persona
Post by Major on Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:23 pm
I am actually different to those I respect as against those I do not.
I would much rather respect someone than not but they gotta earn it which is so easy to tell.
I disapprove of swearing, filthy language especially when it comes from the mouths of some females, I would not swear in front of any of them though.
I am known for NOT elfin and blindin and always having clean shoes/ clothes and shaved
I detest liars whoever they are but I like to lie for effect/fun sometimes and it works.
I never wear sox in bed. lol lol lol
I used to tell the kidz that 'Smarties" were mined until one asked me to take them to a 'Smartie" mine.
In a nutshell I can be anyone when the need be.
Oh, just gotta 'LOVE THAT SEARCH OPTION' ...quite the useful tool  
Well, you do make his 'YARNS' just that much more entertaining ...swallowing his fabrications - 'hook/line & sinker'.  


Last edited by 4EVER2 on Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:29 pm; edited 1 time in total

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by Lord Foul on Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:33 pm

there there dear, take your meds and lie down in a darkened room for a bit...I'm sure you will feel better in a while.....

_________________
If at any time in 2016 I have annoyed you, pissed you off or said the wrong thing....Suck it up buttercup, cause 2017 AINT gonna be any different

There are those who's opinion I value, there are those who's opinion I neither value or scorn, and then there are those who's opinion I just ignore as insignificant...I can assure you the latter outnumber the first two combined by a whole order of magnitude


Difficile est meminisse officium paludes siccare , cum de nocte surrexeritis et asinus tuus alligators ....(It's hard to remember that the task is to drain the swamp, when you are up to your arse in alligators)
avatar
Lord Foul
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Posts : 8918
Join date : 2015-11-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by sassy on Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:34 pm

Says LF when she has just shown that Stormee admitted months ago to lying for effect.

That wasn't a very clever answer was it.

_________________
This planet is our home.  Our life and hers are interdependent - Doreen Valiente


The Left want to make life easier for as many people as possible, The Right want to make life easier for themselves and fuck everyone else.
avatar
sassy
Convicted Hex Offender

Posts : 17451
Join date : 2015-01-04
Age : 71

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by eddie on Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:45 pm

Tell me...what words or phrases did you type into the search bar to, find that exact post?

_________________
Problems are the price of progress. Don't bring me anything but trouble.
Good news weakens me.

~ Charles F. Kettering
avatar
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

Posts : 32228
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 47
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by Guest on Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:48 pm

Lord Foul wrote:there there dear, take your meds and lie down in a darkened room for a bit...I'm sure you will feel better in a while.....
Ahhh, well ...when nothing else floats too the top of that cranium that resembles your toilet bowel ...you go right into SUPREME FOUL behavior mode No

Such a shame, really ...your goading you little buddy Tommykins earlier (braking rules calling him names/ attacking /taunting) ...locking topics as you most often deem necessary when your proven in error - and yet again ...calling me names when you can't manage any adult rejoinders that stay to the topic!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by Guest on Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:53 pm

eddie wrote:Tell me...what words or phrases did you type into the search bar to, find that exact post?

Never let it be said that I didn't try to provide the LAME a teachable a moment; first I thought it was your topic and I tried several different worded phrases - then I went through the members that were involved ...**BINGO**
Just like the many times I found old twisted POV's from Didge-doo's and proved where he once had a very - very different opinion regarding a POV Rolling Eyes SAME METHOD!

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by eddie on Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:34 pm

Okay not sure that answered my question in an unmuddy way, but thanks anyway.

_________________
Problems are the price of progress. Don't bring me anything but trouble.
Good news weakens me.

~ Charles F. Kettering
avatar
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

Posts : 32228
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 47
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by Lord Foul on Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:35 pm

sassy wrote:Says LF when she has just shown that Stormee admitted months ago to lying for effect.

That wasn't a very clever answer was it.

Then you are even MORE stupid and fosilised than I thought

the points I am making require neither that majors story be true OR accurate

merely the issue he "raises"

even if his story is total invention the issues raised remain ....even if, in that case, they are merely hypothetical

do you spend your life always at the back of the queue, having given way to everyone who gives you a swift dig in the ribs?

or are YOU actually the one who does the "digging"?

_________________
If at any time in 2016 I have annoyed you, pissed you off or said the wrong thing....Suck it up buttercup, cause 2017 AINT gonna be any different

There are those who's opinion I value, there are those who's opinion I neither value or scorn, and then there are those who's opinion I just ignore as insignificant...I can assure you the latter outnumber the first two combined by a whole order of magnitude


Difficile est meminisse officium paludes siccare , cum de nocte surrexeritis et asinus tuus alligators ....(It's hard to remember that the task is to drain the swamp, when you are up to your arse in alligators)
avatar
Lord Foul
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Posts : 8918
Join date : 2015-11-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by Lord Foul on Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:39 pm

4EVER2 wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:there there dear, take your meds and lie down in a darkened room for a bit...I'm sure you will feel better in a while.....
Ahhh, well ...when nothing else floats too the top of that cranium that resembles your toilet bowel ...you go right into SUPREME FOUL behavior mode No  

Such a shame, really ...your goading you little buddy Tommykins earlier (braking rules calling him names/ attacking /taunting)  ...locking topics as you most often deem necessary when your proven in error - and yet again ...calling me names when you can't manage any adult rejoinders that stay to the topic!
 

have a pat on the head old thing....

I reckon you must have asbestos fingers the amount of "gumph" you type.....


_________________
If at any time in 2016 I have annoyed you, pissed you off or said the wrong thing....Suck it up buttercup, cause 2017 AINT gonna be any different

There are those who's opinion I value, there are those who's opinion I neither value or scorn, and then there are those who's opinion I just ignore as insignificant...I can assure you the latter outnumber the first two combined by a whole order of magnitude


Difficile est meminisse officium paludes siccare , cum de nocte surrexeritis et asinus tuus alligators ....(It's hard to remember that the task is to drain the swamp, when you are up to your arse in alligators)
avatar
Lord Foul
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Posts : 8918
Join date : 2015-11-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by sassy on Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:45 pm

Lord Foul wrote:
4EVER2 wrote:
Ahhh, well ...when nothing else floats too the top of that cranium that resembles your toilet bowel ...you go right into SUPREME FOUL behavior mode No  

Such a shame, really ...your goading you little buddy Tommykins earlier (braking rules calling him names/ attacking /taunting)  ...locking topics as you most often deem necessary when your proven in error - and yet again ...calling me names when you can't manage any adult rejoinders that stay to the topic!
 

have a pat on the head old thing....

I reckon you must have asbestos fingers the amount of "gumph" you type.....



You do think you are clever being condescending to 4Ever don't you.   It's pretty pathetic Vic and quite shameful.

_________________
This planet is our home.  Our life and hers are interdependent - Doreen Valiente


The Left want to make life easier for as many people as possible, The Right want to make life easier for themselves and fuck everyone else.
avatar
sassy
Convicted Hex Offender

Posts : 17451
Join date : 2015-01-04
Age : 71

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by Lord Foul on Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:08 pm

Well now...when she stops posting in a style that invites condescention I might have reason not to

I mean just look at what she posted above about tommy and my comment

suddenly "i'm goading" my "buddy" Tommy

erm nope ...He IS once again being a geraniun over LBGT issues. Now I know what les called him and ....naughty Les...outwitting the swear bot....

but hark


am I being criticised by the dreadful left, for being harsh on the awful right??

FFS you want it all ways.....


_________________
If at any time in 2016 I have annoyed you, pissed you off or said the wrong thing....Suck it up buttercup, cause 2017 AINT gonna be any different

There are those who's opinion I value, there are those who's opinion I neither value or scorn, and then there are those who's opinion I just ignore as insignificant...I can assure you the latter outnumber the first two combined by a whole order of magnitude


Difficile est meminisse officium paludes siccare , cum de nocte surrexeritis et asinus tuus alligators ....(It's hard to remember that the task is to drain the swamp, when you are up to your arse in alligators)
avatar
Lord Foul
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Posts : 8918
Join date : 2015-11-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by Guest on Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:20 pm

Lord Foul wrote:Well now...when she stops posting in a style that invites condescention I might have reason not to

I mean just look at what she posted above about tommy and my comment

suddenly "i'm goading" my "buddy"  Tommy

erm nope ...He IS once again being a geraniun over LBGT issues. Now I know what les called him and ....naughty Les...outwitting the swear bot....

but hark
am I being criticised by the dreadful left, for being harsh on the awful right??

FFS you want it all ways.....

Interesting how it's always 'YOU' that has to overlook the lack of manners/public politeness/ability to be better than you have been/what a MOD should be and you blame game the L vs R issues always!  Rolling Eyes

As if that's the pat answer / lame excuse for your deplorable - bully boy behavior that shouldn't be pushed onto any member period!  Evil or Very Mad

Well Done, you are what you despise Suspect

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by Guest on Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:22 pm

eddie wrote:Okay not sure that answered my question in an unmuddy way, but thanks anyway.

Seems, I've explained that 'SEARCH' option at least 3 times now

Guest
Guest


Back to top Go down

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by veya_victaous on Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:24 pm

Original Quill wrote:
veya_victaous wrote:
Original Quill wrote:

Yes, but for the same reason even London has adopted the habits of the world, of driving on the right.  I remember the escalator at Sloan Square, and thinking the same thing at the time...Huh...they have habituated to left side passing, even tho on the streets they drive otherwise.

Lest you think I am chauvinistic, I think the British system is the valid one.  Imagine the days of horseback travel and highwaymen...most people are right handed swordsmen, and so in order to defend oneself, you would draw the sword and want the field of play on your right.  Hence, you drive on the left.

The French, being obstinate, opposed everything the British did and so they started driving on the right.



had nothing to do with Brits.
Keep in mind the French see their rivals as Spain, the English are just pirate peasants, and most of the time Italy and Germany were divided Principalities


There was an obvious class distinction in France between the left- and right-hand sides of the roads. The aristocrats drove in their carriages up the left hand side of the road, forcing the citoyens over onto the right. Come the revolution in 1789, and the declaration of the "rights of man" in 1791, the aristocrats had a natural incentive to keep to the poor side of the road, to avoid drawing attention to themselves [...]. Napoleon established the change more firmly by ordering his military traffic to take the right side of the road.
from new scientist article

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=qfak8nsMNGIC&pg=PA16&lpg=PA16&safe=on&hl=en#v=onepage&q&f=false

almost entirely the combination of reversing everything the nobles did prior and the desire to show complete dominion

This practice was common throughout medieval Europe, until it was changed by the French. During the French Revolution in a bid to turn absolutely everything on its antithesis, the driving laws were changed to "keep right." Napoleon quickly adopted the right-hand rule as law for two reasons--a display of absolute power in even the minutest of details, and the singular fact that the emperor was left-handed-- according to Ed Wright's "A Left Handed History of the World."

the left handed part is unsubstantiated and doesn't appear outside of the English Propaganda.

Propaganda though it might be, you present nothing to contradict the origin of left-side driving in Britain.  It's the best explanation I've heard.

You give some great history of France in your explanation of French rightward driving.  I didn't know that.  Although...nothing in that history contradicts how the British came to drive on the left.  Could be French aristocrats originally traveled on the left for defensive reasons too, as the highwaymen probably weren't interested in the plebian purses.  I believe both theories are right.

Syl, it's just history...an academic subject, with some fascinating stories to tell along the way.  If Britain or America get bashed in passing, it shows they've made an impression.  Good for them. Wink



English aristocrats where Frenchmen  Wink

the left side for purposes of greeting/stabbing has been since Ancient Greece 
the french changed it and forced it on Europe
and the US copied (cause it prefered the french to english at the time)

_________________
My job is to travel the world delivering Chaos and Candy.

We don't know the Questions... does that means we cannot seek the Answers?
avatar
veya_victaous
The Mod Loki, Minister of Chaos & Candy, Emperor of the Southern Realms, Captain Kangaroo

Posts : 16357
Join date : 2013-01-23
Age : 34
Location : Australia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by Syl on Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:39 pm

Original Quill wrote:Good stuff on the Savoy history, Syl.  Fun read.

You are welcome Quill....I like to find quirky bits of info, that's one of the joys of the internet.

_________________
Not everyone likes me, but not everyone matters.
avatar
Syl

Posts : 12963
Join date : 2015-11-12
Location : Manchester

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by Lord Foul on Tue Dec 13, 2016 10:43 pm

do you ever go to wikipedia to look up one thing.....and an hour later find yourself twenty subjects away from what you went to look at originally........

_________________
If at any time in 2016 I have annoyed you, pissed you off or said the wrong thing....Suck it up buttercup, cause 2017 AINT gonna be any different

There are those who's opinion I value, there are those who's opinion I neither value or scorn, and then there are those who's opinion I just ignore as insignificant...I can assure you the latter outnumber the first two combined by a whole order of magnitude


Difficile est meminisse officium paludes siccare , cum de nocte surrexeritis et asinus tuus alligators ....(It's hard to remember that the task is to drain the swamp, when you are up to your arse in alligators)
avatar
Lord Foul
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Posts : 8918
Join date : 2015-11-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by eddie on Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:28 pm

Lord Foul wrote:do you ever go to wikipedia to look up one thing.....and an hour later find yourself twenty subjects away from what you went to look at originally........

YouTube is the worst for me. I get lost in there for hours.

_________________
Problems are the price of progress. Don't bring me anything but trouble.
Good news weakens me.

~ Charles F. Kettering
avatar
eddie
king of beards. Keeper of the Whip. head cook and bottle washer. Senior mushroom muncher

Posts : 32228
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 47
Location : England

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by Jules on Tue Dec 13, 2016 11:34 pm

Lord Foul wrote:do you ever go to wikipedia to look up one thing.....and an hour later find yourself twenty subjects away from what you went to look at originally........

YouTube is even worse. I've always said this. It's like one tunnel leading to another, then another ... ad infinitum. The comments can be just as riveting!
avatar
Jules

Posts : 1938
Join date : 2016-07-30
Location : Vantage Point

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Danger On Escalator

Post by Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum