Justice for Karlysle Bryan

Go down

Justice for Karlysle Bryan  Empty Justice for Karlysle Bryan

Post by eddie on Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:06 pm

This is a story I've been following with interest as it's a local boy, who in fact, went to my son's school, he was in my son's girlfriend's class. I saw the absolute devastation this brought to Karlysle's friends when he died, and still two years later.
He was described as being "one of the kindest and funniest boys in the school" who's smile "just broke across his face".
This is a Facebook post about what has recently happened at the hearing for the medical malpractice that ed to this young boy's absolutely needless death.

Justice for Karlysle Bryan  Img_5520


The Nursing and Midwifery Council's (NMC) Practice and Conduct Hearing vs Alison Margaret Smith of Whipps Cross Hospital, Bart's NHS Trust concluded today.  

Charges of misconduct were upheld and her fitness to practice was found to be impaired as she was unable to evidence anything whatsoever  to indicate she is now safe to treat patients since her neglect of Karlysle 20/10/2014 and her 'impairment requires declaration for public confidence'.

She showed no remorse and even though directed by her Barrister to take opportunity to apologise to us she did not.  She did however state under oath (not that she respected that oath at the Coroner's inquest) that all her colleagues practice to the same low standard so she had not and still does not understand what the problem could be!  Also that they all work to a 'put up and shut up' policy rather than take professional responsibility of reporting risks to patients within the systemic failures at Whipps Cross Hospital.  Her colleagues will be even more impressed with her!!!

She admitted to the charges, she 'did it' but it's not her fault!  She showed no insight into her own failures but preferred to point her nasty finger at the computer (that she logged into but did not upload clinical notes to).  It's the computers fault that she failed to complete full observations or record those she did take, the computer ignored the abnormal urine sample containing blood and protein and evidence of dehydration and also the red flags of green vomit and soiling.  The computer also prevented her from adhering to policy and using the 'Paediatric Early Warning Score' assessment tool and from alerting a Paediatric Consultant to anything, including discharge of a very unwell child, as was and still is policy.  Instead she summoned a Locum Junior Doctor, Monica Anyasador, who also failed Karlysle.

The sanctions imposed upon her are the least available sanctions the NMC could impose (other than drop the misconduct charge). Despite that Karlysle died as a direct result of her unsafe practice and neglect she is in receipt only of a 6 month interim order within which there are 'Conditions of Practice to protect the public' (which all cause additional costs to the NHS and therefore the taxpayer):

1) She is confined to work only at Whipps Cross Hospital Paediatric A & E declaring her misconduct to her employer Bart's NHS Trust.  
2) Provide evidence that her basic and fundamental nursing skills have improved.
3)  Provide the NMC with a 'reflective essay' on 'the incident' 14 days prior to her review in 6 months time.

We walked out before the end of this farce when we understood she has been asked to write an essay on what she learned following Karlylse's death.....we have no words, again, to describe how we feel.  

A battle won to some degree and war still to come....and we will have justice for Karlysle.  Thank you all for your lasting support!  One love Xxx

Karlysle Bryan died aged 14
May he rest in peace

Justice for Karlysle Bryan  Img_5521

_________________
WHEN YOU TALK, YOU ARE ONLY REPEATING WHAT YOU ALREADY KNOW.
BUT IF YOU LISTEN, YOU MAY LEARN SOMETHING NEW.

~ Dalai Lama
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 39690
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

Back to top Go down

Justice for Karlysle Bryan  Empty Re: Justice for Karlysle Bryan

Post by Victorismyhero on Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:18 pm

when supposedly professional people fail like this there should be NO tolerance or mercy

she should of course have been sacked immediately, her qualifications revoked and on top she should be facing serious gaol time.....

_________________
If at any time in 2018 I have annoyed you, pissed you off or said the wrong thing....Suck it up snowflake, cause 2019 AINT gonna be any different

Patience my Ass......I' m gonna KILLsomething

.(It's hard to remember that the task is to drain the swamp, when you are up to your arse in alligators)

[b]I DONT BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Posts : 10657
Join date : 2015-11-06

Back to top Go down

Justice for Karlysle Bryan  Empty Re: Justice for Karlysle Bryan

Post by eddie on Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:31 pm

Lord Foul wrote:when supposedly professional people fail like this there should be NO tolerance or mercy

she should of course have been sacked immediately, her qualifications revoked and on top she should be facing serious gaol time.....

I think so too. She obviously blames her bosses and technology.
I'll wait for the newspaper reports. This was posted by a member of his family on FB.

_________________
WHEN YOU TALK, YOU ARE ONLY REPEATING WHAT YOU ALREADY KNOW.
BUT IF YOU LISTEN, YOU MAY LEARN SOMETHING NEW.

~ Dalai Lama
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 39690
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

Back to top Go down

Justice for Karlysle Bryan  Empty Re: Justice for Karlysle Bryan

Post by eddie on Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:32 pm

Lord Foul wrote:when supposedly professional people fail like this there should be NO tolerance or mercy

she should of course have been sacked immediately, her qualifications revoked and on top she should be facing serious gaol time.....

I think so too. She obviously blames her bosses and the hospital "technology."
That hospital doesn't have a very good reputation anyway.

I'll wait for the newspaper reports. This was posted by a member of his family on FB.

_________________
WHEN YOU TALK, YOU ARE ONLY REPEATING WHAT YOU ALREADY KNOW.
BUT IF YOU LISTEN, YOU MAY LEARN SOMETHING NEW.

~ Dalai Lama
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 39690
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

Back to top Go down

Justice for Karlysle Bryan  Empty Re: Justice for Karlysle Bryan

Post by Miffs2 on Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:37 pm

eddie wrote:
Lord Foul wrote:when supposedly professional people fail like this there should be NO tolerance or mercy

she should of course have been sacked immediately, her qualifications revoked and on top she should be facing serious gaol time.....

I think so too. She obviously blames her bosses and the hospital  "technology."
That hospital doesn't have a very good reputation anyway.

I'll wait for the newspaper reports. This was posted by a member of his family on FB.

I was going to ask if there was anything detailing what went on?
She should be in prison
Miffs2
Miffs2

Posts : 2089
Join date : 2016-03-05
Age : 53

Back to top Go down

Justice for Karlysle Bryan  Empty Re: Justice for Karlysle Bryan

Post by eddie on Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:47 pm

I'll actually ask one of his close family friends, I know her pretty well.

_________________
WHEN YOU TALK, YOU ARE ONLY REPEATING WHAT YOU ALREADY KNOW.
BUT IF YOU LISTEN, YOU MAY LEARN SOMETHING NEW.

~ Dalai Lama
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 39690
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

Back to top Go down

Justice for Karlysle Bryan  Empty Re: Justice for Karlysle Bryan

Post by Tommy Monk on Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:51 pm


From what I read in op... sounds like she was trying to enter the details onto computer as required but computer system was not allowing this...

But she had also summoned a Dr to take over care of the lad...

It was the Dr who had responsibility... surely?

_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk

Posts : 23094
Join date : 2014-02-12

Back to top Go down

Justice for Karlysle Bryan  Empty Re: Justice for Karlysle Bryan

Post by Miffs2 on Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:54 pm

eddie wrote:I'll actually ask one of his close family friends, I know her pretty well.

Thanks Edds
Miffs2
Miffs2

Posts : 2089
Join date : 2016-03-05
Age : 53

Back to top Go down

Justice for Karlysle Bryan  Empty Re: Justice for Karlysle Bryan

Post by Victorismyhero on Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:55 pm

no tommy...that passage is pure satire in its way

she is excusing her failings to correctly log the details....

read it again


she logged in BUT FAILED TO upload the clinical notes to....
also a CONSULTANT should have been summoned...NOT a junior doctor

_________________
If at any time in 2018 I have annoyed you, pissed you off or said the wrong thing....Suck it up snowflake, cause 2019 AINT gonna be any different

Patience my Ass......I' m gonna KILLsomething

.(It's hard to remember that the task is to drain the swamp, when you are up to your arse in alligators)

[b]I DONT BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Posts : 10657
Join date : 2015-11-06

Back to top Go down

Justice for Karlysle Bryan  Empty Re: Justice for Karlysle Bryan

Post by Spindleshanks on Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:05 pm

For anyone who is interested about how the sanctions imposed by the NMC work then this is the place to look

https://www.nmc.org.uk/concerns-nurses-midwives/hearings-and-outcomes/restrictions-sanctions/
Spindleshanks
Spindleshanks

Posts : 730
Join date : 2014-01-13

Back to top Go down

Justice for Karlysle Bryan  Empty Re: Justice for Karlysle Bryan

Post by Spindleshanks on Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:08 pm

Basically an interim order doesn't mean the case is concluded, it's given whilst the investigation is ongoing.
Spindleshanks
Spindleshanks

Posts : 730
Join date : 2014-01-13

Back to top Go down

Justice for Karlysle Bryan  Empty Re: Justice for Karlysle Bryan

Post by Tommy Monk on Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:27 pm

Lord Foul wrote:no tommy...that passage is pure satire in its way

she is excusing her failings to correctly log the details....

read it again


she logged in BUT FAILED TO upload the clinical notes to....
also a CONSULTANT should have been summoned...NOT a junior doctor


Hard to tell the truth from a Facebook claim...

_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk

Posts : 23094
Join date : 2014-02-12

Back to top Go down

Justice for Karlysle Bryan  Empty Re: Justice for Karlysle Bryan

Post by eddie on Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:02 am

Tommy I get your point but I don't think it's a "claim" as such, but a statement semi-written by a lawyer?
That's the impression I got but I could be wrong.

I will try and find out more if I can. It may be that there's still some legal stuff ongoing, it kinda reads that way.

_________________
WHEN YOU TALK, YOU ARE ONLY REPEATING WHAT YOU ALREADY KNOW.
BUT IF YOU LISTEN, YOU MAY LEARN SOMETHING NEW.

~ Dalai Lama
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 39690
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

Back to top Go down

Justice for Karlysle Bryan  Empty Re: Justice for Karlysle Bryan

Post by nicko on Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:04 am

Not all Nurses are "angels", I speak from experience !
nicko
nicko

Posts : 12561
Join date : 2013-12-07
Age : 78
Location : rainbow bridge

Back to top Go down

Justice for Karlysle Bryan  Empty Re: Justice for Karlysle Bryan

Post by Spindleshanks on Sun Dec 04, 2016 8:43 am

Judging by this, it sounds as if what she was saying was pretty near the mark.

" In one of the most critical reports into a hospital issued by the CQC, it has listed no fewer than 15 areas in which Whipps Cross has been told to make urgent and significant improvements. The trust’s entire leadership recently announced its departure".

In a scathing assessment, the CQC reported it had found:

“a culture of bullying and harassment”

that “morale was low” and that “the decision in 2013 to remove 220 posts across the trust and down band several hundred more nursing staff has had a significant impact on morale and has stretched staffing levels in many areas”

that “staffing was a key challenge across all services”

poor implementation of a new IT system “had impacted on patient safety and care” and “patients were struggling to get appointments and be recognised as needing care and treatment”

in A&E “there were delays in patients being assessed and in handovers taking place for patients who arrived by ambulance” and some patients were seen by the CQC to have received what it called “sub-optimal care”.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/mar/17/barts-health-whipps-cross-hospital-special-measures-cqc-report
Spindleshanks
Spindleshanks

Posts : 730
Join date : 2014-01-13

Back to top Go down

Justice for Karlysle Bryan  Empty Re: Justice for Karlysle Bryan

Post by Spindleshanks on Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:51 am

The report into the hospital is actually quite damning.

http://www.cqc.org.uk/location/R1HKH/reports
Spindleshanks
Spindleshanks

Posts : 730
Join date : 2014-01-13

Back to top Go down

Justice for Karlysle Bryan  Empty Re: Justice for Karlysle Bryan

Post by Victorismyhero on Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:24 pm

put matron back in charge...and get rid of the useless pointless paper shovellers and their entourage

_________________
If at any time in 2018 I have annoyed you, pissed you off or said the wrong thing....Suck it up snowflake, cause 2019 AINT gonna be any different

Patience my Ass......I' m gonna KILLsomething

.(It's hard to remember that the task is to drain the swamp, when you are up to your arse in alligators)

[b]I DONT BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Victorismyhero
Victorismyhero
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR
INTERNAL SECURITY DIRECTOR

Posts : 10657
Join date : 2015-11-06

Back to top Go down

Justice for Karlysle Bryan  Empty Re: Justice for Karlysle Bryan

Post by Tommy Monk on Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:14 pm

Spindleshanks wrote:Judging by this, it sounds as if what she was saying was pretty near the mark.

" In one of the most critical reports into a hospital issued by the CQC, it has listed no fewer than 15 areas in which Whipps Cross has been told to make urgent and significant improvements. The trust’s entire leadership recently announced its departure".

In a scathing assessment, the CQC reported it had found:

“a culture of bullying and harassment”

that “morale was low” and that “the decision in 2013 to remove 220 posts across the trust and down band several hundred more nursing staff has had a significant impact on morale and has stretched staffing levels in many areas”

that “staffing was a key challenge across all services”

poor implementation of a new IT system “had impacted on patient safety and care” and “patients were struggling to get appointments and be recognised as needing care and treatment”

in A&E “there were delays in patients being assessed and in handovers taking place for patients who arrived by ambulance” and some patients were seen by the CQC to have received what it called “sub-optimal care”.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/mar/17/barts-health-whipps-cross-hospital-special-measures-cqc-report


Bit I highlighted...


And she summoned a Dr but the junior locum one turned up to take over... surely the woman gad tried to enter the data and had summoned a Dr as of her responsibility... the failure was therefore down to the IT system and thd Dr who was then dealing with the patient...?

_________________
“Truth is ever to be found in the simplicity, and not in the multiplicity and confusion of things.” — Isaac Newton

'The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.'  — George Orwell
Tommy Monk
Tommy Monk

Posts : 23094
Join date : 2014-02-12

Back to top Go down

Justice for Karlysle Bryan  Empty Re: Justice for Karlysle Bryan

Post by Spindleshanks on Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:19 pm

Tommy Monk wrote:
Spindleshanks wrote:Judging by this, it sounds as if what she was saying was pretty near the mark.

" In one of the most critical reports into a hospital issued by the CQC, it has listed no fewer than 15 areas in which Whipps Cross has been told to make urgent and significant improvements. The trust’s entire leadership recently announced its departure".

In a scathing assessment, the CQC reported it had found:

“a culture of bullying and harassment”

that “morale was low” and that “the decision in 2013 to remove 220 posts across the trust and down band several hundred more nursing staff has had a significant impact on morale and has stretched staffing levels in many areas”

that “staffing was a key challenge across all services”

poor implementation of a new IT system “had impacted on patient safety and care” and “patients were struggling to get appointments and be recognised as needing care and treatment”

in A&E “there were delays in patients being assessed and in handovers taking place for patients who arrived by ambulance” and some patients were seen by the CQC to have received what it called “sub-optimal care”.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/mar/17/barts-health-whipps-cross-hospital-special-measures-cqc-report


Bit I highlighted...


And she summoned a Dr but the junior locum one turned up to take over... surely the woman gad tried to enter the data and had summoned a Dr as of her responsibility... the failure was therefore down to the IT system and thd Dr who was then dealing with the patient...?

Hard to say for sure without further evidence of what happened on that day.

She clearly summoned a doctor but there could be numerous reasons why a junior doctor turned up instead of a consultant but again without further information it's just speculation.
Spindleshanks
Spindleshanks

Posts : 730
Join date : 2014-01-13

Back to top Go down

Justice for Karlysle Bryan  Empty Re: Justice for Karlysle Bryan

Post by eddie on Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:48 pm

It isn't just the day of his death that is being pulled into question, I do believe that he was sent home possibly twice, but at least once beforehand, and his symptoms were simply overlooked or missed completely.

Appendicitis is a very painful condition and I am not entirely sure how or why, he was sent away initially.

_________________
WHEN YOU TALK, YOU ARE ONLY REPEATING WHAT YOU ALREADY KNOW.
BUT IF YOU LISTEN, YOU MAY LEARN SOMETHING NEW.

~ Dalai Lama
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 39690
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

Back to top Go down

Justice for Karlysle Bryan  Empty Re: Justice for Karlysle Bryan

Post by Spindleshanks on Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:02 pm

eddie wrote:It isn't just the day of his death that is being pulled into question, I do believe that he was sent home possibly twice, but at least once beforehand, and his symptoms were simply overlooked or missed completely.

Appendicitis is a very painful condition and I am not entirely sure how or why, he was sent away initially.

I've just been reading about this case, according to the inquest it seems the staff initially thought he had gastroenteritis.

The inquest said he had been unwell for a few days and that had he had a full assessment then the appendicitis would likely have been noticed and treatment given which would probably have saved his life.

Spindleshanks
Spindleshanks

Posts : 730
Join date : 2014-01-13

Back to top Go down

Justice for Karlysle Bryan  Empty Re: Justice for Karlysle Bryan

Post by eddie on Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:09 pm

Spindleshanks wrote:
eddie wrote:It isn't just the day of his death that is being pulled into question, I do believe that he was sent home possibly twice, but at least once beforehand, and his symptoms were simply overlooked or missed completely.

Appendicitis is a very painful condition and I am not entirely sure how or why, he was sent away initially.

I've just been reading about this case, according to the inquest it seems the staff initially thought he had gastroenteritis.

The inquest said he had been unwell for a few days and that had he had a full assessment then the appendicitis would likely have been noticed and treatment given which would probably have saved his life.


That's the story, yes.

When he died the local paper reported that he'd died after "collapsing in the street" at about 5am.
They couldn't have been further from the truth; he died in his bed as his helpless family watched and waited for help.

_________________
WHEN YOU TALK, YOU ARE ONLY REPEATING WHAT YOU ALREADY KNOW.
BUT IF YOU LISTEN, YOU MAY LEARN SOMETHING NEW.

~ Dalai Lama
eddie
eddie
King of Beards. Keeper of the Whip. Top Chef. BEES!!!!!! Mushroom muncher. Spider aficionado!

Posts : 39690
Join date : 2013-07-28
Age : 49
Location : England

Back to top Go down

Justice for Karlysle Bryan  Empty Re: Justice for Karlysle Bryan

Post by Spindleshanks on Sun Dec 04, 2016 4:18 pm

eddie wrote:
Spindleshanks wrote:

I've just been reading about this case, according to the inquest it seems the staff initially thought he had gastroenteritis.

The inquest said he had been unwell for a few days and that had he had a full assessment then the appendicitis would likely have been noticed and treatment given which would probably have saved his life.


That's the story, yes.

When he died the local paper reported that he'd died after "collapsing in the street" at about 5am.
They couldn't have been further from the truth; he died in his bed as his helpless family watched and waited for help.

I did notice that on an article I read.

Poor kid must have been in incredible pain.



Spindleshanks
Spindleshanks

Posts : 730
Join date : 2014-01-13

Back to top Go down

Back to top


 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum